PDA

View Full Version : S14 Head w/o VTC on S13 Block

kernel
08-21-2008, 06:53 AM
I have a S14 Head in stock and I'd maybe swap this head on my S13 Block because my S13 head is blown..

I've been searching if its do-able and found no case in point about this (all
old thread from 2005-2006) so I'd like to know if someone has info about this in 2008

I know there's 1 more oil port on S14 head the S13 doesn't have, I'd block it since I don't have the oil port on block to use VTC. I'd kill it..

I'd use a S13 Head gasket to match the block.

The main question about this, Where I'll loose or gain in my power band ?

I heard (again, nothing concrete) low port and manifold design on S13 make it torque more at low-end but the S14 High port doesn't do the same thing ?

And without VTC, does it worth it?

Here's my setup;

HKS GT2540
550cc blitz injector
Z32 Maf
Greddy LS-Spec Intercooler
3" Downpipe w/ 3" test-pipe
3" Cat-back

Let me know what you think about the head swap..

onehundredoctane
08-21-2008, 07:05 AM
I've heard more people do the S14 block with S13 head, but that's just me.

kernel
08-21-2008, 07:28 AM
in my case, I more wanted to know if it's worth switching over the S14 head instead of waiting about the S13 head rebuilding process.

If It don't worth it...I won't do it.

genericforumname
08-21-2008, 07:37 AM
I'm sure there are some differences between the models but I know a few years back there was a guy with an N/A 13 sr and he used the head from an N/A s14 sr. dont know if everything is the same (most likely not)

kernel
08-21-2008, 07:49 AM
I have check the difference between both head gasket and there's only 1 added oil port for the VTC.

I'd bring the head to a shop that could block the port on S14 head with tig then I'd surface the head to be straight.

I'd use the S13 Head gasket since the oil port on head would be blocked, so no oil spitting everywhere.

Then, I'd use the S13 Camshafts w/ stock camgears instead of S14 Camshafts to kill all the stuff related to VTC.

The main concern is does the S14 head really outflow the S13 head ?

What it will do to my power band if I put the S14 head...will I loose low-end / mid-end or gain or stay at the same level...