PDA

View Full Version : New game enemy takes a solid day to defeat

brndck
08-20-2008, 04:42 PM
New game enemy takes a solid day to defeat - Video Game Feature - Yahoo! Video Games (http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/new-game-enemy-takes-a-solid-day-to-defeat/1238418)
If it's good enough for Cartman, it's good enough for Square-Enix.

The developers of the online role-playing game Final Fantasy XI seemingly borrowed a page from the Emmy-winning South Park episode "Make Love, Not Warcraft" by updating the game with one of the longest - and most physically grueling - video game fights ever. Introduced in the game's latest downloadable update, the boss monster "Pandemonium Warden" remained perfectly fit after a group of high-level adventurers wailed away at it nonstop for over 18 hours straight.

FINAL FANTASY XI SCREENS

Though the seemingly unbeatable boss will not prevent people from 'completing' the game -- persistent online games typically do not "end" like most single-player games -- it has sparked debate over what exactly the game's developers, Square-Enix, expect out of their devoted fan base. Message boards have lit up with disgruntled players calling out the company for failing to respect its very own in-game warning telling players they have "no desire to see your real life suffer as a consequence [of playing]. Don't forget your friends, your family, your school or your work."

Easy for them to say. While the beast continually healed, the gamers weren't so lucky.

"People were passing out and getting physically ill," leaders of the player guild said in a forum post. "We decided to end it before we risked turning into a horrible news story about how video games ruin people's lives."

Too late.
mom, we need more hot pockets!!!!

cali240sxdrifter
08-20-2008, 05:17 PM
rofl and I thought playing CS beta 1 back in the day for 7 hours was insane... i'm getting too old now, I can't do the same thing anymore

Future240
08-20-2008, 05:18 PM
18 hours? Why the hell would you play a video game for 18 hours? My penis would never forgive me if I dedicated that much time to a video game

exitspeed
08-20-2008, 05:22 PM
I do not have time for some shit like that. Guess I'll continue to steer clear of the FF series.

BustedS13
08-20-2008, 05:32 PM
wait, you can't beat mmorpg's?

what's final fantasy, is that like frogger? or more like centipede

Om1kron
08-20-2008, 06:24 PM
haha whats funny is I have that exact south park episode saved on my computer in the divx format LOL!

Dirty Habit
08-20-2008, 06:27 PM
I do not have time for some shit like that. Guess I'll continue to steer clear of the FF series.

Seriously. What if you put off building the zombie fortress for this shit?!

:fawkd:

Future240
08-20-2008, 07:08 PM
The day he did, the zombies would attack and all would be lost

Pank
08-20-2008, 07:20 PM
well obviously they just need more fucking people, duhh.

FF is bringing people together!

WHAT A GREAT GAME

I never even beat FF3, and its the only FF game i've ever played

OptionZero
08-20-2008, 09:19 PM
ah yes

starcraft/wc3
i remember those days

after i deleted them from my computer, my GPA in college jumped up a point
yes
one full point

true story

muddafakka
08-20-2008, 09:20 PM
18 hours? Why the hell would you play a video game for 18 hours? My penis would never forgive me if I dedicated that much time to a video game

My head would explode and my hands would fall off :faint:

Vision Garage
08-20-2008, 09:23 PM
haha. Just play it at work and have the 3 shift kill the boss.

murda-c
08-20-2008, 09:42 PM
It wasn't even dead after 18 hours.

wtf does it take?

ESmorz
08-20-2008, 09:59 PM
I would have given up after about 15 minutes with mmorpg style combat.

Then again I would never even buy the game so who cares...

Grendel
08-21-2008, 06:47 AM
FFXI has always been for the super hardcore mmo guys. I played it for a little bit years ago and it took forever to level up.

I actually thought about picking it up on the way home for my 360... but decided that wasn't a good idea :p

The ROMAN
08-21-2008, 06:51 AM
I know how to defeat it...........Chocobo Kick.

TheWolf
08-21-2008, 12:23 PM
yes ffxi took forever to level up... and all you did was basically pay someone to sit over and heal you while you leveled on monsters 3x your skill... or catch moat carp for idiots trying to get lu shangs...

DOOK
08-21-2008, 08:28 PM
obviously they didn't kick it in the balzack...