PDA

View Full Version : Boost line tapping

SoguRacing
08-18-2008, 06:52 PM
Has anybody used this? reviews would help. thanks
Turbo Quick Tap Fitting for Boost Source (http://www.frsport.com/Turbo-Quick-Tap-Fitting-for-Boost-Source_p_7854.html)

RurouniMidnight
08-18-2008, 07:17 PM
yeah it works great i just put it in about 2 weeks ago, easy just use a punch and make a hole in the coupling between the turbo and your hotpipe and put the tap in there. I noticed my boost is now way more steady and feels alot more crazy like responce wise. i had always had my boost controller going to the vaccum port on the intake mani, but i can tell the difference now having it hooked up the right way.

SoguRacing
08-18-2008, 08:10 PM
did you use any sort of sealer where you punched the hole? thanks for the input

TTrx7Pete
08-19-2008, 08:53 AM
You are supposed to make sure that the vacuum source for the wastegate actuator is as close as possible to the turbo outlet. Any further down the line can cause boost spiking and overboost problems because the nth of a second that it takes for the wastegate to actuate can cause big problems.

I'm running my wastegate actuator nipple right off my hotpipe.

s14unimog
08-19-2008, 01:08 PM
You are supposed to make sure that the vacuum source for the wastegate actuator is as close as possible to the turbo outlet.

he means boost source, DO NOT RUN VACUUM TO YOUR ACTUATOR

BTW I drilled and tapped my factory turbo outlet elbow and installed a hose barb. I wouldn't want to put a hole in any coupler, just my opinion. You'll notice that bigger turbo's usually have the hose barb on the front of the compressor housing.

TTrx7Pete
08-19-2008, 01:12 PM
he means boost source, DO NOT RUN VACUUM TO YOUR ACTUATOR

BTW I drilled and tapped my factory turbo outlet elbow and installed a hose barb. I wouldn't want to put a hole in any coupler, just my opinion

The line still pulls vacuum when the car is not boosting... the engine is either in vacuum or boost. It has to be on the outlet side of the compressor. When the turbo is beginning to spool, it is not making positive pressure yet, and you are still at the vacuum stage.

However, neither of us are incorrect, they are relatively the same thing. In any event, it is after the compressor, not prior to it.

s14unimog
08-19-2008, 01:21 PM
The line still pulls vacuum when the car is not boosting... the engine is either in vacuum or boost. It has to be on the outlet side of the compressor. When the turbo is beginning to spool, it is not making positive pressure yet, and you are still at the vacuum stage.

However, neither of us are incorrect, they are relatively the same thing. In any event, it is after the compressor, not prior to it.

Agreed but not really. When speaking in regards to a vacuum source we are considering a source in between the throttle body and intake valves. When you say the engine is either in vacuum or boost, you are correct. But the amount of air needed to idle the car will not produce enough vacuum in the pressure system (ie piping, turbo, IC) to even register on a typical boost/vacuum gage. This is why I say, boost ONLY source.