PDA

View Full Version : Korea's car scene?

Tearlessj
08-14-2008, 11:17 PM
For some reason I have always thought that South Korea had really strict car laws. Something like no modding of cars and such. Then I stumbled on a collection of youtube videos of racing in Korea. Seems like its pretty BA over there. Anyone know anything about the car scene over there? I guess its not what I thought it was. It's on my list of places to visit one day.

YouTube - [korea ]Koenigsegg CCR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoC7-_ELgWE)

YouTube - huskey320's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/huskey320)

MikeisNissan
08-14-2008, 11:20 PM
I often wonder how N. Korea's car scene was like..

cdlong
08-14-2008, 11:35 PM
i spent a year there and traveled the roads quite a bit. most of the modified cars were either tiburons (tuscans) or elantras. and from what i saw, they were mostly just cosmetic mods. like the early US car scene, exhaust, springs, lights, wings, etc. there was a badass FD near base, but i never looked closely at it.

as for regular cars, virtually everything is a hyundai, kia, or daewoo, and in silver, black, or white. mostly small sedans and SUVs, few coupes and virtually no sports cars. so the general car population is pretty bland. now there are some very rich people in korea so they have their share of BMWs, mercedes, ferraris, and lambos, etc. it seems like there are as many v12 7 series as 3 and 5s. probably not, but compared to the states where there are huge numbers of 3s and a bunch of 5s for every 7, it's much closer.

blackrms13
08-14-2008, 11:53 PM
i always sees like pics of all those supercars/exotics parked in this underground/apartment parking lot all with Korean plates, pics are floating around the internet...
and supposedly its all owned by one person or something

MaD1337M3DRiV3r
08-14-2008, 11:55 PM
I often wonder how N. Korea's car scene was like..

they dont even have food...

SW20Racer
08-14-2008, 11:59 PM
google image "v.i.p sonata" or some crap like that and you can find some stuff. there are a few hyundai boards that have links to korean boards and alot of badass pics (NOT JUST HYUNDAIS)

if you can make your way through the registration (i guess you could babel fish the whole website...)

norcal_black240
08-15-2008, 12:40 AM
When I was in seoul I saw a modified FD and a R33 GTR. Other than that it was just tiburons with hideous body kits and lame exhausts.

17Green
08-15-2008, 02:09 AM
The wealth gap in Korea is huge. In Korea, any NON Korean car is considered a superior luxury. For example, a 2008 Ford Mustang here would cost about $25k fully loaded, right? If you wanted to buy that car in Korea, you'd have to pay somewhere near $65k for the exact same model. BMW 3 Series that costs $40k in the U.S. would definitely hit $100k in Korea easy.. Mercedes Benz? $120k MINIMUM on any model. You guys would cry if you were being paid Korea's minimum wage here in the U.S.

Roughly around 3,200 Won. That's about $3.50 an hour. :(

There's actually a small city in Korea ONLY for the rich and powerful. That's where the video: YouTube - [korea ]Koenigsegg CCR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoC7-_ELgWE) was filmed.

As for the rest of Korea outside Korea's "Beverly Hills" City.... you guys already guessed it. Sonatas & Tibur.... Tuscanis.

S13SilviaGirl
08-15-2008, 04:47 AM
When I was in Osan and Pusan, there were only Korean made cars :( Never saw anything but....

SlideWell
08-15-2008, 04:52 AM

thats just...kind of a messed up thing to say man. especially when most americans are fat asses that eat TOO much. with rice contamination, it being their main food.
anyway, id liek to see some gangster pics from there. i know they hold it down, one way or another.

doc99
08-15-2008, 05:27 AM
I'm in Kunsan and haven't seen much of decent cars. Besides a busted up 4-door skyline and a C6 vette there was a Renault Samsung SM7. It's based off the Maxima. Pretty decent looking car.

Other then that, I haven't seen anything noteworthy.

S13SilviaGirl
08-15-2008, 05:31 AM
I'm in Kunsan and haven't seen much of decent cars. Besides a busted up 4-door skyline and a C6 vette there was a Renault Samsung SM7. It's based off the Maxima. Pretty decent looking car.

Other then that, I haven't seen anything noteworthy.

I feel for you, army or AF? Kunsan sucks.

doc99
08-15-2008, 05:51 AM
Air Force :( I hear ya. The comradery is great here but... you know how it is... I have a few buddies in Osan, it's like a "regular" base up there. It's all good, I'm headed to Camp Darby after this. Working on a Army base as a USAF Ammo troop should be cake :) I wanted back to Japan, but you know how that goes...

cdlong
08-15-2008, 11:59 AM

thats just...kind of a messed up thing to say man. especially when most americans are fat asses that eat TOO much. with rice contamination, it being their main food.
anyway, id liek to see some gangster pics from there. i know they hold it down, one way or another.

it's true though. the main reason NK keeps doing missle tests, etc. is because we give them food and money every time to make them stop. ["we" being the US, SK, japan, etc.]

the general population in SK only recently could afford cars, probably 95% of NK don't have cars. they have miles of pristine empty roads because the traffic is nonexistant.

I have a few buddies in Osan, it's like a "regular" base up there.
except the way that place runs is rediculous beyond recognition. i will miss Korea, but not Osan.