PDA

View Full Version : anybody have a kegerator?

BustedS13
08-12-2008, 11:12 AM
trying to decide whether we should get one for our new fort. how cost effective is buying beer by the half keg vs. buying 30 packs? in theory beer should be cheaper here, since bud products are made down the street, but just curious if any zilvians have experience with serious alcoholism.

(for the record bud/light/select is about $16 for a 30)

240trainee
08-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Kegerator is much more awesomer

Makes less of a mess (cans)

BustedS13
08-12-2008, 11:20 AM

good call. and i'm thinking i'd rather be able to pour exactly how much beer i want instead of getting 12 oz every time. plus there's a space in the closet hallway that would be perfect for it :d

iwishiwas-all*
08-12-2008, 11:24 AM
i would make a full keg one, its more economical for the drinking habit
lol i just rock the keg and tap for now, on weekends it works well cause u can keep it on ice for a few days, but having it refrigerated is total tits.

down here (super expensive) its 60 for bud light keg, and like 45 for natty light keg (sometimes 50)
and a keg is wat? 120 beers? so do the math and find what your prices are, if its cheaper than buying 30 packs get a keggerator,
did i mention its absolute tits?
yup

IStop4NoMan
08-12-2008, 11:29 AM
if youre going to be playing drinking games, like beer pong, i would stick with the 30 blocks. that way you dont have to wait for each person to fill up one drink at a time.

but still a keggerator is pretty pimp.

BustedS13
08-12-2008, 11:32 AM
a "half barrel" is actually a full size keg, it's 165 12 oz beers or 124 pints.... about 90 dollars' worth of 30 packs... not counting electric or co2, that's decent savings.

if youre going to be playing drinking games, like beer pong, i would stick with the 30 blocks. that way you dont have to wait for each person to fill up one drink at a time.

but still a keggerator is pretty pimp.

the only drinking game we play is "shut up and drink", so that won't be a problem

jrbump
08-12-2008, 11:40 AM
I used to rock one in the basement and it was pure heaven.

We would have two 1/4 barrels in it. One of a nice porter and the other a heff.

You will see a small savings with domestics and a bigger savings with microbrews.

I am on the verge of doing it again, I still have all the parts just need a fridge again. Prob have to get lite beer for my fat ass. gasp

Lastly, don't forget to fill the freezer portion with beer glasses, even better those frozen mugs.

LeftNutOfGowd
08-12-2008, 11:44 AM
I say it depends on how often do you drink and or host party's

Unholy S14
08-12-2008, 11:45 AM
my roomates do both.

we have a kegerator but its mostly used for parties.

When it comes to the cans we just recylce it, and we get a lot for it because we drink a lot lol.

BustedS13
08-12-2008, 12:00 PM
I say it depends on how often you host party's

we're going to shoot for "constantly" for the next six months or so.

Unholy S14
08-12-2008, 12:02 PM
then go with the keg.

get some cups and charge people 5 bucks to drink.

if you have big parties might wanna get 2 kegs and dont drink any before the party ....hahah

BustedS13
08-12-2008, 12:05 PM
question two: is any malt liquor still sold in kegs?

Unholy S14
08-12-2008, 12:06 PM
around my area, no

exitspeed
08-12-2008, 12:16 PM
I've thought about this. If I ever get around to finishing off my lower level I'll probably go that route.

driven_
08-12-2008, 12:21 PM
off topic, but i used to live up 2 blocks from one of the entrances the the infamous miller brewing company,

used to bike there so much as a kid.

but in beer prices,

just the other day, BudLight in Milwaukee, apparently my dad says was $20 for a case of 24 (or it looks like a 24, maybe 30?)

BudLight in Green Bay was $14

so dunno. apparent the bud company hates milwaukee people. LOL.

stiizy
08-12-2008, 12:23 PM
I saw one in walmart a few months ago it was on sale for like 2 and change but didn't buy it...

I wanted it cause the have Hoegaarden in kegs...

mmmmmmmmmhhhhhhh Hoe-G

illvialuver
08-12-2008, 11:05 PM
my uncle has one, but its a waste all he puts in there is coors and keystone.

keistyle
08-12-2008, 11:06 PM
but then.. you have those red cups everywhere.

BustedS13
08-13-2008, 12:02 AM
new question: could i put the kegerator in the basement, and then run the hose through the floor into the kitchen? that'd make things a lot easier.

SlideWell
08-13-2008, 12:08 AM
new question: could i put the kegerator in the basement, and then run the hose through the floor into the kitchen? that'd make things a lot easier.

that would be THE ULTIMATE!!!

BustedS13
08-13-2008, 12:14 AM
well, now that i think about it, no it wouldn't. that'd be great for soda or anything you put on ice... but for beer, it'd just result in a glass of warm beer before cold beer. grumble.

jrbump
08-13-2008, 08:54 AM
^ you would have to insulate and chill the hose.

you could drill a hole in the side of the fridge, run piping up to your tap. Use piping bigger than the beer line so that cold air can run up the piping, then insulate the hell out of it.

It's possible but it sounds like work.

Farzam
08-13-2008, 11:24 PM
My friend had a 3 keggerator

They said it was the best thing they've ever bought.

OKR_240SX
08-13-2008, 11:52 PM
down here (super expensive) its 60 for bud light keg, and like 45 for natty light keg (sometimes 50)

i wish it was 60 here. we threw a random kegger last night and it cost me over 90 to fill my keg.
:down:

S14DB
08-13-2008, 11:58 PM
How much these go for these days? I had an opportunity to buy one for $50 the other week but wasn't sure.

Also, there was a mini taps set up. Took 3 5L poneys. I just dunno anything that comes in 5L. WTH comes in 5L?

BustedS13
08-14-2008, 12:08 AM
How much these go for these days? I had an opportunity to buy one for $50 the other week but wasn't sure.

Also, there was a mini taps set up. Took 3 5L poneys. I just dunno anything that comes in 5L. WTH comes in 5L?

5 liters? isn't that those little fridge kegs they sell in the supermarket? those are an astronomical ripoff...

ran the idea past my dad tonight while we were at a chuck berry show, he seems to think my uncle has a refrigerator he doesn't want anymore, so if i can score that, i'm about $150 in parts + beer away from kegeratin'.

miravete
08-14-2008, 01:26 AM
we're going to shoot for "constantly" for the next six months or so.

holy crap...where do i sign up?:aw:

ESmorz
08-14-2008, 01:30 AM
Hey Busted...

Still have an available room?

lol

S14DB
08-14-2008, 07:59 AM
5 liters? isn't that those little fridge kegs they sell in the supermarket? those are an astronomical ripoff...

ran the idea past my dad tonight while we were at a chuck berry show, he seems to think my uncle has a refrigerator he doesn't want anymore, so if i can score that, i'm about $150 in parts + beer away from kegeratin'.

Yeah I did the math, 5L = 169oz ~ 14*12oz
A 12 pack is a lot cheaper then the 5L.

Seems like what I was looking at was for micro brews. A lot of micro brewery's can't afford to maintain full size kegs OR they don't bottle. 5L is for bars that have many micro's on tap that don't see enough sales in 30days to warrant a full keg. The micro taps I saw was for the home snob that can't get the beer in bottles.

Local home brew shop could sell me empty 5L and CO2 charging system for my own brews but really didn't know of 5L distribution in the area and gave me the number of the distributors in the area.

Man, I was hoping for a nice in between. Bottles take up a lot of fridge space but a keg is to much for causal use on the weekends.

BustedS13
08-14-2008, 09:06 AM
holy crap...where do i sign up?:aw:

saint louis missouri

Hey Busted...

Still have an available room?

lol

the attic has carpet in it for some reason and is available immediately
an actual bedroom will be available, with its own bathroom, as soon as we build it in the basement

Yeah I did the math, 5L = 169oz ~ 14*12oz
A 12 pack is a lot cheaper then the 5L.

Seems like what I was looking at was for micro brews. A lot of micro brewery's can't afford to maintain full size kegs OR they don't bottle. 5L is for bars that have many micro's on tap that don't see enough sales in 30days to warrant a full keg. The micro taps I saw was for the home snob that can't get the beer in bottles.

Local home brew shop could sell me empty 5L and CO2 charging system for my own brews but really didn't know of 5L distribution in the area and gave me the number of the distributors in the area.

Man, I was hoping for a nice in between. Bottles take up a lot of fridge space but a keg is to much for causal use on the weekends.

for bigger microbrews i'm pretty sure they use sixth kegs.. homebrew stuff is usually done in those corney kegs.. at any rate with a big enough fridge you could hook up whatever you want :D

anybody ever have schlafly? their brewery is about five miles from my house and kegs are reasonably priced :)

S14DB
08-14-2008, 10:50 AM
LoL, first thing that popped into my head was Phyllis Schlafly...

Saint Louis Brewery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Louis_Brewery)
Schlafly Beer To-Go (http://www.schlafly.com/beertogo.shtml#kegsize)

driftphenom
08-14-2008, 10:57 AM
mmmmmm im thirsty.

anyway, i had a friend with a kegerator, he would charge $5 for a bottomless cup. anyday of the week. havin a party this weekend. $5. wanna come over and watch the game? $5. i think of it as an investment. just start an honor system so you dont have to police your shit or carry around a bag of cups constantly. that probbly wouldnt work tho. maybe on slow days

BustedS13
08-14-2008, 11:04 AM
mmmmmm im thirsty.

anyway, i had a friend with a kegerator, he would charge $5 for a bottomless cup. anyday of the week. havin a party this weekend. $5. wanna come over and watch the game? $5. i think of it as an investment. just start an honor system so you dont have to police your shit or carry around a bag of cups constantly. that probbly wouldnt work tho. maybe on slow days

that's a good idea. my friends are leeches. i'll give them the option of keeping beer in the fridge or giving me five bucks for unlimited keg.

DOOK
08-14-2008, 11:06 AM
we had a kegerator in college... sat right in our kitchen like a water machine... we threw parties and it was always BYOB or 5 dollars to drink from the keg... can't tell you how many we floated in my time at WVU.

PS... if you get a kegerator, you also need to get a liquor bottle rack with shot pourer... it's another must have for drunks.

INeedNewTires
08-14-2008, 11:15 AM

You could have the kegerator in the basement, run a copper line up to the fridge upstairs, and have a small radiator inside the freezer where the beer will pass through it just before it gets out of the tap. That way your beer will be ice cold, and you can still retain a functional fridge upstairs, but will have an "invisible" kegerator where the party will be happening!

BustedS13
08-14-2008, 11:25 AM
You could have the kegerator in the basement, run a copper line up to the fridge upstairs, and have a small radiator inside the freezer where the beer will pass through it just before it gets out of the tap. That way your beer will be ice cold, and you can still retain a functional fridge upstairs, but will have an "invisible" kegerator where the party will be happening!

that is fucking brilliant. and beer has a lower freezing temperature than water, right? i could just put a tap right on the freezer door of the kitchen fridge... and the basement is also the garage, so moving kegs would be super easy.

gprb25
08-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Fielding your avatar is fucking bad ass!! :bowdown:

And kegerators are awesome...

http://www.kegworks.com/products/beer-keg-refrigerator.html

carnagexxxx
08-14-2008, 11:32 AM
If you are doing a cost analsis of the kegerator take these into consideration:

1. Cost of C02. Usually not expensive maybe 10 bucks a fill. Lasts for awhile.
2. Cost of different couplers. Certain companies have different couplers on their kegs (I think someone touched on this earlier).
3. Wasted beer. Many times you'll have to dump about 8-10 ounces to clear the line if it sits for more than a day. This is to make sure the first beer isn't flat and that it is cold. So if you're comparing 30 pack (360oz liquid) vs a half barrel (most people use these for parties).

Go here to compare how many oz Keg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keg)

I have admit that kegerators are baller and convenient. Good luck.

INeedNewTires
08-14-2008, 11:32 AM
that is fucking brilliant. and beer has a lower freezing temperature than water, right? i could just put a tap right on the freezer door of the kitchen fridge... and the basement is also the garage, so moving kegs would be super easy.

Thanks, Yes, and Exactly!

Fielding your avatar is fucking bad ass!! :bowdown:

haha, thanks, Had to talk my girl into that but she finally caved.... it was a triumphant moment i must say....

silviaguy240
08-14-2008, 11:47 AM
these guys i kinda know made a kegorator. just used an old fridge, nitrogen tanks i think...maybe just compressed air and ran the lines to a tap in the fridge door.