PDA

View Full Version : power steering...question?help?

jdminspiredcd7
08-10-2008, 01:24 PM
:hyper:so heres my situation,i want to take off my power steering lines, the whole system.but i noticed that there are some lines that run to the rack and pinion.can i still take off the PS system or do i have to replace the rack and pinion too? what do i do please help.

Addicted2Kouki
08-10-2008, 01:29 PM
What would be the point of this?

burnsauto
08-10-2008, 01:38 PM
hes looking for advice to get rid of his p/s. (in my opinion it should be left on...but thats me.)

you can take off the lines, plug them up, but before you do, pack as much grease as you can into the rack. bam.

g6civcx
08-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Supposedly there are 89 S13s that claim to have manual steering from the factory. If they exist, you can swap the rack over.

Jtuned_andy
08-10-2008, 03:40 PM
What would be the point of this?

Because he owns a Honda and thinks it'll give him mad JDM horsepower

jdminspiredcd7
08-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Because he owns a Honda and thinks it'll give him mad JDM horsepower

LMAO!!! owned a honda, and i want the cleanest engine bay possible thats why:coold:, thanks for the advise though. and im going to look into that manual steering rack. THANKS

sr20boostn20
08-11-2008, 04:08 PM
ehh i took all the lines off the rack everything seems to be fine i guess.

i dont want to hear about jdm hp, i drive in straight lines, no need for ps

murda-c
08-11-2008, 04:09 PM
have fun driving a 240 with no power steering...

sr20boostn20
08-11-2008, 04:17 PM
have fun driving a 240 with no power steering...

i don't know why everyone bitches about no p/s its really not that bad.

im more comfortable driving with no p/s.

OOooooOooOO it sucks when you have to make a 3 pt turn big deal.

Bigsyke
08-11-2008, 04:42 PM
hes looking for advice to get rid of his p/s. (in my opinion it should be left on...but thats me.)

you can take off the lines, plug them up, but before you do, pack as much grease as you can into the rack. bam.

bye bye rack.

If you look directly where your steering linkeage connects to the rack, there are 2 lines that will connect to the pump at somepoint. 1 line is an aluminum cooler, the other goes to the pump.

The best way is to remove the hardlines (3/8thsinch fitting Im guessing.). Install a barbed 3/8ths" fittings. Get a 3/8ths" fuel hose and loop the 2 fittings. Then Splice in the middle, and install a 3/8ths" Tee. Connect the 2 hoses, and the T runs upwards to a fluid resiour. A clutch fluid resivour works best- Anything with 1 3/8th" nipple on the bottom, that holds fluid and can breath/vent.

The hard lines that DONT connect to the pump need to stay there. You can then go and get a 795mm belt from napa, remove the pump bracket and cooling lines.

As long as the hoses dont restrict too much DD will be just fine. Shorter/larger the better.

lazysk8er2
08-11-2008, 09:28 PM
hey ill take the resovoir and pump if your just gonna toss it haha.

jdminspiredcd7
08-12-2008, 04:39 PM
i don't know why everyone bitches about no p/s its really not that bad.

im more comfortable driving with no p/s.

OOooooOooOO it sucks when you have to make a 3 pt turn big deal.

your so right, it so is not as bad i everyone makes it seem. i took it off and its a tad bit stiff but not too bad,stilll looking for the manual rack though anyone know if theres a place that sells them?

bye bye rack.

If you look directly where your steering linkeage connects to the rack, there are 2 lines that will connect to the pump at somepoint. 1 line is an aluminum cooler, the other goes to the pump.

The best way is to remove the hardlines (3/8thsinch fitting Im guessing.). Install a barbed 3/8ths" fittings. Get a 3/8ths" fuel hose and loop the 2 fittings. Then Splice in the middle, and install a 3/8ths" Tee. Connect the 2 hoses, and the T runs upwards to a fluid resiour. A clutch fluid resivour works best- Anything with 1 3/8th" nipple on the bottom, that holds fluid and can breath/vent.

The hard lines that DONT connect to the pump need to stay there. You can then go and get a 795mm belt from napa, remove the pump bracket and cooling lines.

As long as the hoses dont restrict too much DD will be just fine. Shorter/larger the better.

this confused the hell outta me.

Brentbohn
08-13-2008, 07:21 AM
dude i did this on a few, if you dont fill and cap it yearly it will build moisture up in the rack and blow the seals on it. dont reccomend this mod.

Bigsyke
08-13-2008, 11:26 AM
dude i did this on a few, if you dont fill and cap it yearly it will build moisture up in the rack and blow the seals on it. dont reccomend this mod.

Because it wasnt correctly done. You dont cap it. You loop the lines going to the pump AT the rack. Then T off that loop you made and route that hose higher in the engine bay to a breather of some sort.

Hell I even went to wall mart, got a Stainless soap dispenser, drilled a hole in the bottom for a 3/8ths threaded fitting, and jb welded the threaded part of the barbed fitting up.

http://www.veneersupplies.com/images/barb8.jpg?osCsid=5d74066f6cb0b80861d5e8477035127c

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/kkapers2_2012_14908634

Something like that, but remove the upper nozzle, and put a sock over it, ghetto but it works.

You could use a clear plastic bottle 1/4th that size, and have the fluid 1/10th full. Its just venting pressure, and as long as the rack is always lubricated your fine.

If anything having a defective PS unit is worse for the rack.

idahotuner
08-13-2008, 11:33 AM
i dont have any power steering and it really isnt that bad. cept for pulling into a parking spot. can even drift with out it haha