PDA

View Full Version : Fiesta Bowl!!!

MorganS13
01-03-2003, 02:21 PM
I go to Ohio State and we're pretty excited about this game. Just seein if there were any other Bucks or Canes fans out there?

silnv
01-03-2003, 03:10 PM
Yeah I am an Ohio State fan. My friend goes to OSU too. Go Bucks!!!

xhdriver
01-03-2003, 09:29 PM
im not a fan of either but i live in tempe and you bastards are everywhere! lol;)

ca18guy
01-03-2003, 09:34 PM
I hope Miami wins, but I kinda lost interest in college football this year.

I knew I should have bet on OSU to cover the spread

gschroeder78
01-03-2003, 10:56 PM
I've decided I hate college football. I used to love it but finally came to the realization that if an unranked team (as stupid as the ranking system is) can go to a bowl game then whats the point?

tnord
01-03-2003, 11:01 PM
how is that worse than when NFL teams that are only .500 go to the playoffs??

oh yeah...........go Big Ten.

gschroeder78
01-03-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by tnord
how is that worse than when NFL teams that are only .500 go to the playoffs??

oh yeah...........go Big Ten.

The difference I see is that the NFL works it's way to a single championship game. By then if you've made it that far, .500 or not, you probably deserve it. Also if a team has .500 and did make it to the playoffs, odds are most of the other teams have a worse record (not always but most of the time).

In college they play 12 or so games (not sure), suck so much they aren't even the top 25 and still get in to a bowl game (i.e. Nebraska, AFA, ect...). There's no working out who the best teams is other than the ranking system. Which no one can say really makes sense. It's all about the money and it will never change. So I'm sure I'll get over it by next season.

That and I'm bitter because all 3 of my teams lost (CU, CSU & AFA). :D

Garrett

ca18guy
01-03-2003, 11:30 PM
There are only 4 bowl games that really matter, those bowl games with unranked teams are more like exibitions then anything else imho.

tnord
01-04-2003, 01:36 AM
at least the BCS considers an entire season, where when you get to the playoffs in the NFL, everything up to that point is basically irrelevant.

gschroeder78
01-04-2003, 01:41 AM
Yeah I guess they just make the BCS rankings way too complicated. Oh well I think it's all about where the money is NFL or NCAA.

It could be worse. In MLS (Major League Soccer...No flames please... I play soccer :D ), Out of the 10 teams, 8 went to the playoffs. Now thats pathetic.

silnv
01-04-2003, 01:55 AM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OHIO STATE NATIONAL CHAMPS WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

fodive
01-04-2003, 02:34 AM
at least the BCS considers an entire season, where when you get to the playoffs in the NFL, everything up to that point is basically irrelevant.

BCS sucks. it takes into consideration the media and coaches polls, which is pure opinion, how is it supposed to "calclutlate" the best team, when one of the most wieghted categories is pure opinion. if ohio state wasnt ohio state, they probably owuld have been #2

tnord
01-04-2003, 02:49 AM
don't get me wrong, a playoff system is better. but BCS isn't as bad as one might think.

and btw...........ohio state was #2 coming into this game.

fodive
01-04-2003, 11:34 AM
don't get me wrong, a playoff system is better. but BCS isn't as bad as one might think.

and btw...........ohio state was #2 coming into this game.

yeah, i meant to type wouldnt, but you know me, i cant type for ****

xLSTONEx
01-04-2003, 11:35 AM
I won a 100 bucks off that game. God that was an awesome game though. I thought we had lost it twice. Personally I am a UGA fan and we would have killed both thouse teams last night, but for some reason we lsot to Flordia earlier this year. But hey 3rd in the nation ain't bad.

I hate Miami, but for a private college with like 17,000 people, they are awesome.

HippoSleek
01-06-2003, 08:33 AM
It was indeed an awesome game. Even though I had no stake, I was rooting for OSU. What was the Big 10's record in bowls this year? ACC was 4-2. I think we were close.

As for BCS - what's better? Under the old system, you had as many as three #1's at the end of the year. And while the subjective criteria matters, it is needed to offset the differences in schedules (there is no pairity as found in professional sports). Unranked teams in bowls is fine w/ me. The payouts (and viewers) vary. Nothing wrong w/ acknowledging a good team that lost two games all year. I think this year actually showed how well BCS worked. NO ONE thought that OSU had a chance (or even that they should have been ranked above other teams, incl. Iowa). But the system worked.

...and UGA got lucky - USC was awfully close (>10 votes) in both polls.

Mark - who regrets not placing two bets for the over in the Orange and Fiesta bowls.

nrcooled
01-07-2003, 09:21 AM
Go Bucks ::OSU Alum:: Best damn team in the land...to go w/ the best damn band in the land