PDA

View Full Version : State referee question....

bananatree
07-22-2008, 07:46 PM
it finally happen to me.....A state ref ticket for my SR20. I just wondering...can i transfer the title to someone else(by PASS regular SMOG), and tell the judge i sold the car, so i had no responsible for the referee inspection. Than i just buy it back from my friend.....

Any suggestion, opinion helps.......thank alot.

Team DET
07-22-2008, 11:31 PM
i am wonder about this too i got a ref been getting extensions shit came out to $509

downshift_sideways
07-22-2008, 11:53 PM
You CAN sell a car in california without smogging it, as long as the buyer is aware and agree's with taking care of smog (have a legal documentation for prrof..usually in the written bill of sale put "buyer is responsible for smog". That should save your ass with a printed name, and signature from the buyer)

But remember it is illegal in the state of california..

now the new owner is responsible for smogging the car.

If you did get reffe'd the ticket or fee's get placed under your Drivers License...which will always be there. So you would have to take care of the fee's.

Vision Garage
07-22-2008, 11:58 PM
but will the owner need to get the car reffed?

bananatree
07-23-2008, 12:11 AM
i am wonder about this too i got a ref been getting extensions shit came out to $509

so if I paid the fees or bail what ever it is, than no need for inspection? will that settle the ticket?

BTW when you got your ref ticket?

thanks

CrimsonRockett
07-23-2008, 12:16 AM
I was reffed, not for SR, but weaksauce shit.

My fee's(if I decide to just pay it off rather than fix it) are $391.

Yeah, i'm fixing it instead.

downshift_sideways
07-23-2008, 12:16 AM

NO. . .

They would have to get it smogged.

bananatree
07-23-2008, 12:20 AM

I was wonder about this too, can I just transfer the title to my friend, like was sold to him(hook up SMOGED). So does the NEW OWNER still have to go take care the referee(even pass smog already)?

OR the title is NOT transferable at all before the ref ticket is settle....

Vision Garage
07-23-2008, 12:40 AM
well downshift said no and that all they had to do was smog it. So what happens with the ticket? Does it stay with the person who got it? So I he gets another car and gets rolled again what happens?

bananatree
07-23-2008, 01:32 AM
OR can I just pay the fine, and walk away with referee inspection? becasue its gonna cost way less than going back to stock........

downshift_sideways
07-23-2008, 01:36 AM
What did he cite you on by the way?

Scan the ticket?

hopefully he didn't restrict your car. Meaning that from the point he pulled you over. You can only drive the car (HOME) and from your house to the REFEREE only. If you get caught. Your car gets impounded...and say bye bye 240sx.

You can either.

1. Swap the KA back with all stock parts. Take it in..and hope it passes.

2. Pay the fine

3. Take the car in as is, if it fails(obviously)... go to court with the paperwork...Pay the larger fine..(sometimes this doesn't work)

4. Sell the car. With the money you just got. Pay the fee's. and start over. <--That's usually what I do. but I don't sell the car to any random ass noob.
I make sure the buyer know's the deal. and I offer them a smog hookup if they meet my asking price.

rb25_s13*CHUKI
07-23-2008, 01:47 AM
I would just pay it.. Or if u have an extra Ka laying around and have the smarts to swap it in and make it look legit then do that.. I payed the fine on my state ref

bananatree
07-23-2008, 02:09 AM
What did he cite you on by the way?

Scan the ticket?

hopefully he didn't restrict your car. Meaning that from the point he pulled you over. You can only drive the car (HOME) and from your house to the REFEREE only. If you get caught. Your car gets impounded...and say bye bye 240sx.

Thanks downshift, for all those advice,....its 27156(b) emission violation.

you rite, that cop told me to home and stop driving this car, and there's a state referee sticker on back of my ticket:

Vehicle must be removed from the roadway immediately and may not be driven until in compliance.(section 24004 CA vehicle code),

sucks.....

downshift_sideways
07-23-2008, 02:16 AM
^Yea..Sometimes they don't mark that down.

no more driving for joo.

bananatree
07-23-2008, 02:30 AM
but even i go with pay the fine, does my car will registered as a "gross polluter" ? I heard they will make you go smog yearly......