PDA

View Full Version : left over food?

RiversideS13
07-19-2008, 01:03 PM
i have a question. does anyone how long you can keep left over food in refrigerator without getting spoil? i had a lot of left over foods in my refrigerator but i am afraid i will get sick from eating it. some just over 3 or 4 days and some are over a week.

thanks

S13Boosts
07-19-2008, 01:06 PM
They should be fine LOL depends what kind of food tho?

Pank
07-19-2008, 01:08 PM
depends on the food. at a week, you're looking sketch at anything that has already been cooked/mixed together

BustedS13
07-19-2008, 01:18 PM
depends what it is, but i usually eat something the day after i have leftovers or i just let it sit in the fridge until it's months old and then throw it away. there is no in between

Icy13
07-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Basically, keep it in air tight containers (tupperware, gladware w/e or ziploc bags) and give it a sniff when you open it. If it smells alright (like not a sweet smell, kinda hard to explain, but think of something alittle like sour milk? your body kinda knows it is bad so that helps, natural response thing).

Anyway, if there isnt anything green and fuzzy growing on it (that wasnt there before, for the blue cheese fanatics) then just stick it in the microwave, nuke it beyond belief (until it is hot enough that you have to let it sit for 5 min or something so you dont burn your mouth) and enjoy.

If it still tastes bad, spit it out, dump the rest and repeat with the next questionable item in the fridge :)

Worked for me for the past 20 years.

Mi Beardo es Loco
07-19-2008, 01:48 PM
i have a question. does anyone how long you can keep left over food in refrigerator without getting spoil? i had a lot of left over foods in my refrigerator but i am afraid i will get sick from eating it. some just over 3 or 4 days and some are over a week.

thanks

I had left over sushimi salad that was older than a week this morning. You'll probably be fine. If there's any brown, mold, or smells like death then throw it out.

iROYAL
07-19-2008, 04:31 PM
this is kind of a common sense kind of question...

My rule is don't eat anything after two days after being cooked...sorta like Busteds13

onehundredoctane
07-19-2008, 04:37 PM
sushi is usually good after a day, but I don't push it longer than that, mainly because the rice starts to dry out

Farzam
07-19-2008, 04:43 PM
I usually give it a 3 day limit

DohcKA
07-19-2008, 05:19 PM
i dont eat anything past 3 days all beez in my book... most of the time it can only be 2 days old or else i wont touch it

LimeLite Racing
07-19-2008, 05:28 PM
heres what i do:
if it looks good, and smells good, itll probably still taste good..

if it doesn't ill probably eat it anyway.

hahahaha jk

ronmcdon
07-19-2008, 06:22 PM
1 week is my rule of thumb. worst that can happen (at least in my experience) is you get the shits.

Also, some things are considerably less palatable after a day in the fridge. i never eat leftover sashimi, fish, steak, hamburgers, salad (that have the sauce mixed in), or pasta. Stews, stir fries, bbq, and the like usually taste better after being in the fridge for a day or two, and then re-heated in the oven. pizza, i remain undecided. doesn't really taste as good after its in the fridge, but it does make a great breakfast on a hangover morning.

HyperTek
07-19-2008, 06:30 PM
try to eat leftovers withen 3 days in my opinion.
For some reason, spaghetti taste better when its a day old lol

Also relies on the products put into it.. say cheese, you might have made something b4 its expiration date , and a few days later, taht cheese would be expired.

Phlip
07-19-2008, 07:20 PM
I try to eat/share anything with dairy in it within 1-3 days.
Vinegar? 3-5 days (probably a week, but damn)
Tomatoes? Better on day 2, give it to the dog at the end of day 4.
Fried food? No problem, everyone within a block is drawn in by the smell and it is usually gone before I open the fridge for my last beer.

Nothing over 4 days old is good for anyone in the house but the white bitch (dog, BTW) in my opinion... If it is something I would not give her, it goes in the big green can outside, but with food costing as it does, it rarely makes it that far in my house.

jdm538
07-19-2008, 07:24 PM
McDonalds fries last forever..

if its refrigerated and not taken out constantly around 3 days.

sked707
07-19-2008, 08:43 PM
I'll probably give it like a week, maybe less. But yeah like limelite racing said if it smells good & looks good, should be ok. At least thats what i go by haha.

S14DB
07-19-2008, 09:24 PM
USDA says 4days in the fridge.

muddafakka
07-19-2008, 09:37 PM
After 4 days, I feed it to the garbage can.

azndoc
07-19-2008, 10:55 PM
i personally don't anything past two days.

It just grosses me out.

I'm picky that way.

rb25_s13*CHUKI
07-19-2008, 10:57 PM
i personally don't anything past two days.

It just grosses me out.

I'm picky that way.

^^I'm with azndoc.. Anything past two days for me in Bleh...I usually don't even give it 1 day..

lflkajfj12123
07-19-2008, 11:23 PM
^ same here

gotta eat it fresh

most stuff only gets a day before i throw it out

RiversideS13
07-20-2008, 12:28 AM
USDA says 4days in the fridge.

But i think USDA is only consider about the nutrient value of the food? so i guess they think after 4 days, it has lost most of its nutrient value and you are just eating whole bunch of carbs.

coww-cho!!!!!
07-20-2008, 12:37 AM
last year i had a party and i remember having the tostito brand salsa i forgot how old the salsa was since it was in a blank glass jar. i took a wiff and smelt fine but one i took the dip with the chip and took a bite. i got the worst vinegar taste i swallowed some but spit out rest and i knew i had food poisening and was sent to hospital after puking up so much vomit

I hate Salsa!

spoolandslide
07-20-2008, 12:57 AM
it all depends how long you microwave it for

kensreliableb18b
07-20-2008, 01:18 AM
oh man you dont wanna know how long i left my leftovers one time and ate it. never again; that was the smelliest diarrhea i've ever had. EVER.

driftphenom
07-20-2008, 09:57 AM
in a sealed container, food will stay good for about a week, if your not opening it all the time and finger fuckin it. that rule applies to anything. air (oxygen) and heat are the enemies of leftovers. keep it closed and cold, and you can confidently eat it after a week. reheated fried food is disgusting tho, unless your hammered, then just get some hot sauce and call it a day

S14DB
07-20-2008, 09:59 AM
But i think USDA is only consider about the nutrient value of the food? so i guess they think after 4 days, it has lost most of its nutrient value and you are just eating whole bunch of carbs.

USDA also does Food Safety...

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/

theicecreamdan
07-20-2008, 11:46 PM
this thread is full of weenies. Nothing more than 2 days? come on.

CantBeStopped
07-21-2008, 12:28 AM
if it looks and smells alright, then play ball.

B18C5MK1
07-21-2008, 03:02 PM
if its growing stuff, smells not like it should, or give it a slight taste test, a little nibble wont get you sick. if ANY of those three apply. toss it. pretty much common sense applys here.

I pretty much wont hold a "3-4 day rule" against my left overs. especially with meat products. I always do the sight (growing anything), smell, and taste test... if it fails any, i'm o's. vegan food tends to last a while though and since my wifey is veggie (she cooks a lot of vegan stuff tho) our left overs tend to last a good week or so.

i remember when i was little and the loaf of bread had mold on it, my grandma just cut off the mold and continued to make my sandwich. "waste not" she said. I guess when you grow up broke, you do what you gotta do. If one slice in my whole loaf has a tiny bit of mold, the whole loaf goes in the trash. ha. times have sure changed.

svensko
07-21-2008, 04:53 PM
We discussed this in my microbio class last semester. Something to consider: the mold and funky smells you get from old food is from bacteria, obviously. But it's from bacteria that is highly concentrated due the amount of time they've had to grow. In order words, just because it looks/tastes/smells fine, it could very well already have something on it to make you sick.

I generally won't eat anything past 2 days that's already been cooked.

Bobafreak
07-21-2008, 04:58 PM
3 day mark...give it to the homeless.

bardabe
07-21-2008, 05:01 PM
1 or 2 days other than that FUUUUUUCK it it goes to my dogger