PDA

View Full Version : help me build some bangin' lunch sandwiches.

BustedS13
07-09-2008, 06:48 PM
so i'm starting to realize that driving to subway and quiznos and jimmy johns every day for a sandwich at lunch is probably costing me over ten bucks every work day, if you factor in gas. i'd like to save some money by making sandwiches at home before work, so i both get them cheaper and don't have to drive to get them.

what should i be putting on these bitchin' sandwiches? what kind of bread should i use? i want a sandwich that's at least comparable to a decent subway sandwich, but without having to put in too much effort.

how long can i keep chopped onion in some tupperware?
how long does a head of lettuce last?
can i buy shredded lettuce?
blah blah blah blah blah?

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/qwissen/InvisibleSandwich.jpg

right now all i can think of is:
i like turkey
i like ham
i like bacon, i guess i could fry some and bag it
olives, banana peppers, and pickles come in jars and should last long enough for me to eat them all
i have no idea what bread to put this on

post your sandwich tricks, gaiz.

ESmorz
07-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Roast Beef sandwiches
Pepperoni and Salami with provolone
Tuna :ugh:
Wet Turkey sanwich

Vision Garage
07-09-2008, 07:04 PM
You should buy enough for the week of work. That way you save money. Anyfood left over from the week should be trashed unless you are that broke. I prefer my lettuce whole rather than chopped. And since you are taking the sandwich to work, I would suggest having packaged mayo and mustard to keep the food freshest!

aNskY
07-09-2008, 07:06 PM
i bring my shit every day... from bottom up on a piece of foil: lettuce, mayo, rb/or bbq chicken or turkey, cheese. wrap up the foil. then when i stop for a coffee on the way to the job i pick up a fresh roll from the deli. lunchtime comes, i rip open the roll and plop my home made sandwhich right on it :) costs me like $20/week rather than at least $50 like you said

BustedS13
07-09-2008, 07:08 PM
i bring my shit every day... from bottom up on a piece of foil: lettuce, mayo, rb/or bbq chicken or turkey, cheese. wrap up the foil. then when i stop for a coffee on the way to the job i pick up a fresh roll from the deli. lunchtime comes, i rip open the roll and plop my home made sandwhich right on it :) costs me like $20/week rather than at least $50 like you said

the supermarket down the street makes some pretty good rolls for about 50 cents a pop. cheese onion roll + sandwich innards + individual mustard/mayo stolen from arby's = nom?

Wet Turkey sanwich

lol wut

ESmorz
07-09-2008, 07:13 PM
http://asamatteroffood.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/open-face-turkey-sandwich.jpg

:keke:

theicecreamdan
07-09-2008, 07:15 PM
sunday BBQ 2 maybe 3 steaks. Monday thru friday steak sandwiches. Repeat with chicken. Maybe take away some monday sorrows and grill Ahi tuna, make sandwich.

I'm pretty much over lunch meats. Trying to avoid things that are processed.

Mi Beardo es Loco
07-09-2008, 07:15 PM
turkey and ham monte christo! ftw.

BustedS13
07-09-2008, 07:16 PM
sunday BBQ 2 maybe 3 steaks. Monday thru friday steak sandwiches. Repeat with chicken. Maybe take away some monday sorrows and grill Ahi tuna, make sandwich.

i like the way you move. what do you put on a steak sandwich? or just meat and bread?

aNskY
07-09-2008, 07:17 PM

+1.

im off to grill my steak for tomorrow :bigok:

theronin
07-09-2008, 07:17 PM
tuna.

1 can will make 2 sandwiches.
put in tupperware.
cheese and lettuce on the side in baggy.
4 pieces wheat bread.

success!

Mi Beardo es Loco
07-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Got to the Home Town Buffet. check
bring baggies. check
get some chicken. check
pack the baggies full of chicken without employees seeing. check
make sandwiches out of HTB chicken. vwalla, chicken sandwiches for a week.

Thieving is bad. mmmmmkay. :D

BustedS13
07-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Got to the Home Town Buffet. check
bring baggies. check
get some chicken. check
pack the baggies full of chicken without employees seeing. check
make sandwiches out of HTB chicken. vwalla, chicken sandwiches for a week.

Thieving is bad. mmmmmkay. :D

i like the way you move.

i wonder if i could put chinese food on a bun and eat it. i know i could make saint paul sandwiches...

lflkajfj12123
07-09-2008, 07:29 PM
i used to work at potbellys

hot sandwiches make anything taste good

you can make tuna sandwich by just mixing tuna mayo onion and salt and pepper

but yeah grilling the food on a sunday and have it last you the week

you could also start growing your own vegetables :D

also i know jimmy johns sells their leftover bread at the end of the day if you don't mind using left over bread it still good they just cant keep it for more than a day

theicecreamdan
07-09-2008, 07:35 PM
i like the way you move. what do you put on a steak sandwich? or just meat and bread?

Jack some horsey sauce from Arby's.

gerson408
07-09-2008, 07:36 PM
white bread, turkey, ham ,provolone cheese ,tomato mayo mustard pastrami and frito lays

DALAZ_68
07-09-2008, 07:40 PM
panini bread is awsome and filling

if u want a really bang for ur buck turkey...boars head Cracked Pepper turkey

a pound of this is around 4 bucks...but damn its worth it and itll last u a week if not longer pending ur portions

its the SHIETTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bigok:

bacon and provolone are always a staple in my samiches

allntrlundrgrnd
07-09-2008, 07:46 PM
when im at school i just make a bunch of them in the cafeteria and stuff em in my backpack /done.

thats probably not the case for you, so my advice is just buy some of the sub rolls and if you can heat it up, even better.

+1 for paninis, thats my favorite

whereda40at
07-09-2008, 07:55 PM
sound gross but bologna, cheese(yellow), peanut butter and jelly. sounds gross but it is fucking awesome. i dont care what anyone says. also good on wheat.

dont knock it till you rocked it.

07-09-2008, 08:03 PM
You can always substitute bagels or tortilla wraps for regular bread and use your same sandwich ingredients just to change things up every once in awhile.

here are some great sandwich recipes, 188 of em:

http://www.landolakes.com/mealIdeas/RecipeBox_BrowseResult.cfm?Category=Category&ID=5&Row=1

DALAZ_68
07-09-2008, 08:25 PM
+1 for paninis, thats my favorite
YES!!!!

and if u toast the panini with the provolone...its like SEX!!!!:bigok:

eds13
07-09-2008, 08:53 PM
get you a plain bagel and put cream cheese on it. then, some ham (or whatever you want) put it on there. and even a tomato.

SO GOOD!!!

Dousan_PG
07-09-2008, 09:00 PM
make sure u get yourmeat and cheese from the deli
dont do that pre packaged crap
costs more but tastes a million times btter

and rolls are a nice change of pace from regular bread.

try new stuff too. cant go wrong w/ homemade!
watch out how much mayo you put on it, dont get fatty!

dmragecm
07-09-2008, 09:02 PM
tuna
oil + vinegar
carrots
onion
celery

toast some wheat bread. you got a banging sandwhich, plus its really healthy. bodybuilding.com has a bunch of good recipes too. hit that forum up

jimmytango00
07-09-2008, 09:08 PM
1. Veganaise (better than reall mayo and healthy)
2. Mustard (deli or yellow)
3. Sprouts,tomatoe,lettuce, cucumber,
4. Avacado (lots)
5. Turkey (lemon pepper, roasted,smoked)
6. Pepper jack, Cheddar, swiss

Call In
07-09-2008, 09:14 PM
My today lunch:

Day before after work:
-Have ham night before. slice super thin like lunch meat.
-Buy Brie cheese at Deli also cut super thin.
-Fry egg night before
-Seperately Bag Everything

The day of:
-Buy crossient (spelling?) at deli and cut it in two
-Put it all together and grill it.

Work has a George Forman, it's Bitchin'

speedgod^s13
07-09-2008, 09:19 PM
I like making pepperjack, ham, onion, tomato paninis. One of my all time favorite sandwiches is peanut butter, ham, and jelly. If you want to save money, go to Costco, (where I go in Hawaii), or whatever wholesale place. Buy ham, cheese, etc. from there, guaranteed you will save money. On top of that, if it's too much, you can throw it in the freezer. That is what I do with ham, and when i'm ready to eat it, I just thaw it out. Cheese too.

Mi Beardo es Loco
07-09-2008, 10:53 PM
a friend of mine loves peanut butter and bananas. Sounds gross but it's not that bad.
Another great sandwich is fried bologna and cool whip. More of a breakfast sandwich for me though but it's cheap. You don't have to have a lot of meat and cheeses, that gets a little expensive.

hitman
07-09-2008, 11:25 PM
those little hawaiin sweet rolls are good. i buy stuff from costco. i am trying to save money, and i *think* i can live off 100$ for 2 weeks of food eating at home. thats with drinks (i bought some naked juice too so more $). in addition to that, im going to start eating at my dads house every few days for atleast one meal. also when i do laundry at my dads i usually steal some food and hide it in my laundry basket.

TiNMAN
07-10-2008, 12:24 AM
- ham or turkey
- salt & pepper
- cheese
- crispy bacon
- mustard
- ketchup?
- lettuce
- onions
- tomatoes
- mayo?

on wheat, toasted! yeaaaaa

KwKouki
07-10-2008, 12:30 AM
bread (wheat or bagel/toasted)
mayo
muenster cheese
mesquite smoked turkey
muenster cheese
thick sliced bacon *crispy*
honey mustard *optional*
baked lays *whole or crunched up*
bread (wheat or bagel/toasted)

enjoy

I also make a bangin tuna salad which sounds icky but its omgwtfyum

tuna fish *solid albacore*
real mayo
small tid bit of mustard
bacon bits
shredded cheese *any yellow hard kind*
finely finely chopped onions

put that in any kind of toasted bread or cracker

or I get crazy and do a thanksgiving wrap or sub bread *works awsome with toasted cuban bread*
pulled turkey (white and dark meat)
cranberry sauce
mayo
stuffing

red89rps13
07-10-2008, 12:40 AM
take it to the elementary days. white or wheat bread, mayo, mustard, smoked ham, lettuce, buy a bag of hot cheetos, stuff them inside.

DALAZ_68
07-10-2008, 12:51 AM

yes....its worth the extra 2 bucks indeed:w00t:

my fave samich is also...

french roll
pizza sauce
provolone or mozorella
pepperonni

toast

then add lettuce
ham or turkey
a lil dejun mustard
a lil mayo( and i mean a lil)

and tear it up...its like a pizza samich but with fresh cuts its fucken bomb

and with kettle chips

beer chips or lightly salty...either one:cool: :faint:

womenbeshoppin
07-10-2008, 03:41 AM
You asked for a "bangin" sandwich?

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l317/h22poweryo/subway.jpg

lil240sx95
07-10-2008, 03:44 AM
make sure the bread is rosemary. ahhhhh that shit is amazing. with anything and if you can put some avocado.

SHIFT_*grind*
07-10-2008, 06:49 AM
^I was wondering why no one had said avocado yet until I saw that.

I like:

Roast beef
Pepper jack cheese
Avocado (make sure you use it right after you cut it, it browns pretty fast)
Tomato
Maybe a little bit of mayo

Sil-Eighty SE-K
07-10-2008, 07:33 AM
try this buddy..... soooo good!
Use a bun/roll,
Honey turkey
pepperoni (the BIG pepperoni you get sliced at the deli, not spicy)
munster or provolone cheese
..... heat it/toast it then throw on some pickles, lettuce and mayo..... shit is banging!
(ps try to use boars head)

speedgod^s13
07-10-2008, 11:17 AM
try this buddy..... soooo good!
Use a bun/roll,
Honey turkey
pepperoni (the BIG pepperoni you get sliced at the deli, not spicy)
munster or provolone cheese
..... heat it/toast it then throw on some pickles, lettuce and mayo..... shit is banging!
(ps try to use boars head)

This sounds good, but I hate pickles. Another thing is, you guys gotta try Portuguese sweet bread. Here in Hawaii we have a 24 hour joint, called Zippy's. They make Portuguese sausage, omlet sandwiches on Portuguese sweet bread. That shit is so bomb!!!! Another type of bread, that I love making panini's with, is 12 grain.

VAs13
07-10-2008, 11:22 AM
today i had

salami + mustard sandwich

so good

xtreme_s14
07-10-2008, 11:47 AM
bread

peanut butter

[choice of fruit] jam/jelly

bananas or bologna optional (yah that's right.. i said bananas!)

PhAtXSuMo
07-10-2008, 11:48 AM
i hoook up 240 drivers at my work at TOGOS

an_orange_s2k
07-10-2008, 11:52 AM
buttermilk bread FTW!! that shit is HELLA good

silviaguy240
07-10-2008, 12:29 PM
you can get like a lb of sliced cooked bacon in a bag at costco, kirkland brand, all you gotta do is heat up fro like 8 seconds. chicken salad is cheap if you make it yourself. just generic, cheese, roast beef, turkey, ham, bacon, lettuce tomato on a kaiser roll is good.

BustedS13
07-10-2008, 12:33 PM
protip: when you make chicken salad, throw in some grapes and almonds. SHIT IS BOMB.

ZX88
07-10-2008, 02:08 PM
dont put condaments on your sandwitches cause they will cause th ebread to get soggy. what until right before you eat it.

Oilcover
07-10-2008, 02:13 PM
add this to any sandwich!

https://www.surfasonline.com/images/products/14074L.jpg

Sil-Eighty SE-K
07-10-2008, 04:43 PM
peanut butter and bananas on toasted white bread.... w00t

or

take any turkey sandwich and squeeze in as many ruffles (chips) as you can...smush and eat!..... werd

SlideWell
07-10-2008, 04:51 PM
heck, id keep it simple and just buy your meat, cheese, mayo, lettuce and throw it on like a footlong french loaf from the store.
jimmy johns is my fav with the JJ Gargantuan.

DALAZ_68
07-10-2008, 05:05 PM
peanut butter and bananas on toasted white bread.... w00t

or

take any turkey sandwich and squeeze in as many ruffles (chips) as you can...smush and eat!..... werd

id say turkey and ham:bigok:

axiomatik
07-10-2008, 05:39 PM
you're in St. Louis, right? Get your bread from Panera aka St. Louis Bread Company. They have all different varieties. Just go in, pick one that looks good, and try it out. Try different varieties. Find ones you like.

For meat, avoid pre-packaged crap at all cost. Go to a deli counter and get it there (same with cheese). For me, about one pound is good for 4-5 sandwiches. I prefer roast beef or smoked pork loin that I can get here.

For lettuce, skip the iceberg and get romaine. Invest in a salad spinner. When you buy the romaine, wash it right away. Cut the bottom off of the 'heads', rinse under running water, place in salad spinner. Use the salad spinner to get as much water off the lettuce as possible. If it's big enough, you can store your lettuce in it. Lettuce prepped this way will last 3-4 times longer than just leaving it in the bag it came in.

ingredients that I prefer: Spicy mustard (different varieties), pepperoncinis, deli peppers, goat cheese, provolone, swiss. mix and match to your taste.

Tip: you can make your sandwich the night before and keep the bread from going soggy by using the following structure:
bread -> cheese -> meat -> mustard, etc -> peppers, etc -> lettuce.
it's important that the lettuce is spun in a salad spinner, or it will be so wet it will make your bread soggy. But this way the cheese insulates the bread from the meat juices, and the lettuce protects the bread from they soggy influence of peppers/mustard/etc.

One of my favorite sandwiches:
salami
pepperoni
(if you're fancy: genoa ham or prosciutto as well)
goat cheese
pesto
roasted red peppers (you can buy it in a jar)
roasted garlic (you can buy it roasted or make your own)
deli peppers
provolone if you like
bread-bowl-type bread (you can get it at panera/st. louis bread company)

cut out the bread like you were making a bread bowl for soup
spread some roasted garlic in the bottom of the bread bowl
layer in the meats
crumble in some goat cheese
add peppers (raosted and deli) and provolone
smear the pesto on the top piece of bread and place on top.

cut into 4 slices and enjoy.

LB.Motoring
07-10-2008, 05:47 PM

Plus its a lot better for you, tons less sodium etc.

Also for you lettuce

Heads of lettuce stay fresher much longer by putting them in a paper bag when storing in the fridge. They deteriorate much, much faster when stored in plastic than the paper bags. This works great for iceberg lettuce, but I haven't tried it with other types of lettuce and veggies, stuff doesnt breathe in the plastic, and condensates making it go bad much quicker

sideways7
07-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Nothing beats Tang sandwiches, Al Bundy style.

At my las job we had a big fridge at work so I would take an igloo lunch bag and put just enough supplies to last me 5 days. I would only keep stuff that in there that needed to be refrigerated like the meats veggies and mayo. The bread and any condiments I kept in my building room.

theicecreamdan
07-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Avocado (make sure you use it right after you cut it, it browns pretty fast)

Its gonna turn brown anyways.

Silverstreek
07-10-2008, 11:36 PM
my all time fave from the local butcher back in MO was called a Dagwood.
It was:
2 slices of non whole grain wheat bread
2 slices of ham
1 slice of swiss cheese
2 slices of roast beef
1 slice of cheddar cheese
2 slices of turkey

it was like $1.50 for one, man i miss that place.

alligatorblinghaha
07-11-2008, 02:25 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/Alligatorbling/bread_edited-1.jpg
(http://cgi.ebay.com/SCHECTER-Tempest-Special-electric-guitar_W0QQitemZ190235854493QQcmdZViewItem?hash=it em190235854493)

muddafakka
07-11-2008, 01:26 PM
I made this today. :naughty:

It only took about 15-20 minutes to make. Seriously.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/rr_s13/DSC00083.jpg

You need:
French or Italian Bread
Monterey Jack cheese or whatever cheese you like (I shredded mine) (Buy from Target or Publix deli section)
Roast Beef (I prefer Boar's Head) (Buy from Target or Publix deli section)
Olive oil
Butter
Pepper flakes
BBQ sauce (I had Budweiser brand)
Black pepper
Garlic powder
Ranch dressing or other condiment of choice
...and a bunch of other random seasoning. Knock yourself out with that one.

Bread preparation:
-Spread butter on bread.
-Spread a little bit of garlic powder and black pepper on it. The butter will act as the "glue" to keep it on there.
-Put a little olive oil on it. It just tastes better with it. Gives that "melt in your mouth" kinda feeling. :keke:
-Put in oven for about 10 min. @ 350 degrees. If your oven has settings, put it on toast.

Roast beef preparation:
-Put butter and some olive oil in pan and spread it around until it all melts.
-Add roast beef in along with pepper flakes and seasonings.
-Cook on medium-high for about 10 min. or until fully brown. If you like a little pink then you don't have to. For me, it may have been even less than 10 min. because it doesn't take long to brown.
-When the majority of the roast beef looks brown but isn't quite finished yet, that's when I throw in the cheese and barbecue sauce and stir it around so it melts and goes about evenly.

By then the bread should be finished. Take it out of the oven and throw the roast beef on it. I personally like ranch dressing as a condiment so if that's not your thing you don't have to put it. Normally I add lettuce, tomatoes, and peppers (green and banana) but I skipped it today because I was crazy hungry.

Grab a cold one of (insert favorite drink) and enjoy.

For anyone thinking this is a lot of work, honestly it's not. You just gotta work fast.

:bow:

KidSaru
07-11-2008, 01:33 PM
This thread has made me hungry as hell.

My mom used to make some toasted subs...

You get torpedo bread (of course)
thin sliced turkey/ham/whatever
shreaded cheese, American and chedder
small amount of vinegar, but that's just me.
mustard and mayo and bake it in the oven.

Put lettuce and pickles on, eat.

Senor_Nismo
07-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Damn you guys like the same food I do, I remember those chettos stuffing sandwich days...best time of my life haha

BustedS13
07-11-2008, 01:45 PM
BBQ sauce (I had Budweiser brand)

LOL WUT? AB makes bbq sauce? i live in STL and didn't know that. that sounds like the lazy man's Maull's and Bud marinade. and i mean... that's a pretty lazy marinade to start with.

muddafakka
07-11-2008, 01:51 PM
LOL WUT? AB makes bbq sauce? i live in STL and didn't know that. that sounds like the lazy man's Maull's and Bud marinade. and i mean... that's a pretty lazy marinade to start with.

Haha yeah. I didn't know that either until I saw it for myself. It's pretty good.

axiomatik
07-11-2008, 01:51 PM
I made this today. :naughty:

blah blah blah....

Roast beef preparation:
-Put butter and some olive oil in pan and spread it around until it all melts.
-Add roast beef in along with pepper flakes and seasonings.
-Cook on medium-high for about 10 min. or until fully brown. If you like a little pink then you don't have to. For me, it may have been even less than 10 min. because it doesn't take long to brown.
-When the majority of the roast beef looks brown but isn't quite finished yet, that's when I throw in the cheese and barbecue sauce and stir it around so it melts and goes about evenly.

you're re-cooking pre-cooked meat? I understand wanting it warm, so just throw it on the bread in the oven.

KidSaru
07-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Haha.

http://www.budshop.com/Budshop/category.aspx?categoryid=19&gclid=CL663vzNuJQCFQZlswodgmkCUg

It's pretty damn good too, what I've had.

muddafakka
07-11-2008, 01:58 PM
you're re-cooking pre-cooked meat? I understand wanting it warm, so just throw it on the bread in the oven.

And? It tastes better when it's recooked.

It's a personal preference. To each his own.

This was the BBQ sauce I used.
http://www.budshop.com/Budshop/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemId=946