PDA

View Full Version : Manual Steering vs. Power Steering

MrMigs
12-19-2002, 02:15 AM
According to some people, manual steering is better because you have a better feel for the road. On the other hand, power steering makes slalom driving easier. Which would you prefer?

Also, is it possible to convert a '97 to manual steering? If so, how?

Or maybe it would be wiser to just lessen the amount of assistance that the power steering gives... I wonder how that would be possible too... :eek:

nrcooled
12-19-2002, 06:14 AM
After the belt to my power steering pump broke I was forced to go manual. I hated it. Way to difficult to do anything. Also, don't plan to parallel park anywhere. It broke on Sat, the auto store was closed on Sun and didn't have a chance to get on Mon. So three days of crap I don't reccomend it

whateverjames
12-19-2002, 06:40 AM
my power steering has been disabled since april of 2001 :o i had to put the belt back on for a safety inspection and for that one day, i didn't like it. power steering is good for most people, but in my area it's not really needed. the engine revs more freely without it and like you said, you get a better feel for the road.

Phlip
12-19-2002, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by whateverjames
my power steering has been disabled since april of 2001 :o i had to put the belt back on for a safety inspection and for that one day, i didn't like it. power steering is good for most people, but in my area it's not really needed. the engine revs more freely without it and like you said, you get a better feel for the road.
How did you disable it?

kandyflip445
12-19-2002, 08:40 AM
I've been without power steering...didn't like it. Like nrcooled said way to difficult. It was out for awhile when I was in high school. The only place I had to park WAS a parallel.

ridebmx
12-19-2002, 11:19 AM
i personally like not having powersteering, better feel was the main reason, sure turning at low speeds(parking 5mph) seems wierd at first, but u get usused to it, i havnt actually looked at the power steering on our cars, but all u would have to do is take the belt off the powersteering pump, and if that belt ran other things like the alternator, you would have to by pass the powersteering pump, i dont know if all of our cars come with ps, if they didnt then just buy a belt from a non ps 240, i think u get the picture....but like i said i havnt looking the the powersteering and the belt routing, so i am just giving you an idea....hey you can try it out and see if u like it...

S13Grl
12-19-2002, 11:41 AM
Actually, I believe that on both KA motors the alternator belt only runs the alternator, the water pump, and the fan (me and West fixed his SOHC S13 with a seized water pump, that was the routing). Power steering has its own belt. Yes, you will free up some revs (about 2% or so of your power). Depending on where you live and how you drive, you may want to take it off. It's a convenient thing to have if you live in a town with curvy roads or if you have to parallel park a lot.

adey
12-19-2002, 12:03 PM
If ayou're running a small steering wheel like me (300mm) you may consider NOT getting rid of PS; the steering with a smaller wheel is tough enough as it is. a 390mm or 360mm steering wheel may be OK, but a 300mm wheel is hard enough to park WITH PS!!

bbp
12-19-2002, 12:55 PM
Instead of losing the power steering altogether you may consider undrive pulleys that will slow down the pump. Although you may feel some cavitation in the wheel.

I think it is silly to disable this on a street car. It's not enough of a gain to warrent the inconvience of non power assist. If your really into gain a few horsepower get an electric power steering pump instead. But then your adding weight, uh oh better take out the drivers seat to lose some weight.... j/k!

ridebmx
12-19-2002, 03:53 PM
i really dont think people where debating it to gain horsepower, i believe it was for a better "feel" of the car...or thats what i got from it and what i meant

whateverjames
12-19-2002, 06:23 PM
on the 89-90 motors it has it's own belt, like s13grl was talking about. i would get a pulley set instead of no power steering, but i don't think my alternator would like it because my stereo system. i like the feel of no power steering and it does make the car a little faster. probably not worth it having disabled for most people, but hey.

240Ak0rDsx
12-19-2002, 09:09 PM
This MRMigs -- Internet is gay... and i accidentally posted using my friend's name... but anyway:

Uhm... for my car, the belt that connects power steering also connects to the water pump. So, I'd either have to get a smaller belt and bypass the power steering pulley, or I could get a larger pulley for the power steering pump -- that SHOULD make power steering a little bit weaker.. which is what I'm looking for now.

But hmm... where would I be able to get a larger pulley? Cus I don't want to have to get the whole pulley system thing if all I want to mess with is power steering.... maybe I can get a larger pulley from a different car?

Johny5
04-11-2003, 05:12 PM
If anyone knows where to find a shorter belt for a 98 s14 with ps please let me know, i cannot stand grandma steering :(

Kid Zelda
04-11-2003, 06:09 PM
The reason a lot of people complain about driving w/o power steering is because Nissan never made the 240 with a non-power steering rack .. which would make driving w/o power steering a whole lot better.

I drove w/o p/s, at first feeling the road scares you, took a few days to adjust, after that it was all good ... except for 3 point turns
.. argg

drift freaq
04-11-2003, 09:03 PM
what is going on around here? People are digging up dead old threads with stuff that is not really pertinent.
People stop digging up dead old threads please!!

Johny5
04-11-2003, 09:07 PM
You suppose I start a new one about a topic thats already been covered? Don't treat me like a forum n00b, I've been on them for over 2 years and I know how annoying it is to have reposts. Appreciate the fact that people are searching for answers instead of taking the easy route.

SilviaDriver
04-11-2003, 09:15 PM
people here are fine that u start new threads if u say "yea i searched already but couldnt find the answer" in the beginning of ur thread then everything will be alright.

and we DO appreciate the fact that people search becuz it helps us out big time.

everything is fine but people dont like it when people bring back old ass threads, if u do bring back an old thread, LET US KNOW!.

like "yea i wanted to bring this thread back to life becuz ...."

gregsr20
04-12-2003, 02:09 PM
i like the power steering, but lose, motor runs much more free, about 2hp to the wheels to, cheap upgrade

Johny5
04-12-2003, 02:23 PM
People in this thread talked about the pulleys helping the powersteering, but has anyone just bought the powersteering pulley by itself? Unorthodox sells them for roughly 80-90 for just that one pulley. But technically to accomplish full effect would you also need the water pump pulley? Or am I good with just the ps pulley?