PDA

View Full Version : anywhere in cali have no emissions testing?

sr20kouki
07-05-2008, 07:35 PM
i want to move to cali but my car cant pass emissions (kouki with a redtop) anybody live where there isnt emissions testing?

HIM
07-05-2008, 07:44 PM
everywhere in cali, you are " required " to pass emissions.

If you move near me, then we can talk about passing your sr20 =)

duffman1278
07-05-2008, 07:52 PM
If there was a city that was exempt from it do you know how many people would be registering under that city? lol

blownmotor
07-05-2008, 08:14 PM
There are certain areas that is rural enough not to have it

sr20kouki
07-05-2008, 08:21 PM
where do you live "HIM"

luftrofl
07-05-2008, 08:50 PM

I'm inclined to agree.

I spoke to a guy who registered his car up in rural norcal so that he doesn't have to deal with smog. I forgot the details, but I think there are some loopholes.

S14DB
07-05-2008, 08:54 PM
CARB's Website has a nice map of smog regulations county by county.

Also, we don't talk about illegal smogs around here.

ryguy
07-05-2008, 08:55 PM
I dont know about California, but in Indiana its that way; only the industrialized northwest counties of the state (where I live) have to pass emissions. The rural part of the state has nothing. It saves money by only testing where it's needed. It wouldnt make financial sense for California to test the eastern part of the state, but then again it is California...

dynamicck
07-07-2008, 02:20 PM
There are different levels of smog requirements.

Areas of the State

All areas of California require Smog Check certifications when a specified model year (http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/02_SmogCheck/Vehicle_Model_Years_Subject_to_Smog_Check.pdf) vehicle changes ownership or is registered for the first time in California. The Smog Check program divides the state into four areas.
Enhanced Areas: Vehicles within specified model years are required to be certified every two years during their registration renewal with DMV. Also a portion of the vehicles are required to obtain a certificate (passing Smog test) from a Test-Only or Gold Shield station. Vehicles registered in an Enhanced Area must receive an ASM (Acceleration Simulation Mode) Smog Check unless the vehicle is not compatible.
Partially Enhanced Areas: Vehicles within specified model years are required to be certified every two years during their registration renewal with DMV. Vehicles are not directed to be certified at Test Only or Gold Shield stations. Vehicles registered in a Partially Enhanced Area must receive an ASM Smog Check unless the vehicle is not compatible.
Basic Areas: Vehicles within specified model years are required to be certified every two years during their registration renewal with DMV. Vehicles registered in a Basic Area must receive a TSI (Two Speed Idle) Smog Check.
Change of Ownership Areas: Vehicles within specified model years are required to be certified only upon change of ownership or initial registration in California. Vehicles registered in this area must receive a TSI (Two Speed Idle) Smog Check.
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/02_SmogCheck/Program_Areas.html

The best one is "Change of Ownership Areas"

Here's the map of the counties that have it.
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/02_SmogCheck/engineering/Program_Map.pdf

Thing is you can do all that work, drive in major cities, and still get REF'd. :duh:

Okinawandrifter87
07-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Also, we don't talk about illegal smogs around here.

I couldnt agree more for plenty of reasons! :stupid: Jk s14 ;0)

revat619
07-07-2008, 03:09 PM

+ 1

This is fact.

sr20kouki
07-08-2008, 12:26 AM
There are different levels of smog requirements.

Areas of the State

All areas of California require Smog Check certifications when a specified model year (http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/02_SmogCheck/Vehicle_Model_Years_Subject_to_Smog_Check.pdf) vehicle changes ownership or is registered for the first time in California. The Smog Check program divides the state into four areas.
Enhanced Areas: Vehicles within specified model years are required to be certified every two years during their registration renewal with DMV. Also a portion of the vehicles are required to obtain a certificate (passing Smog test) from a Test-Only or Gold Shield station. Vehicles registered in an Enhanced Area must receive an ASM (Acceleration Simulation Mode) Smog Check unless the vehicle is not compatible.
Partially Enhanced Areas: Vehicles within specified model years are required to be certified every two years during their registration renewal with DMV. Vehicles are not directed to be certified at Test Only or Gold Shield stations. Vehicles registered in a Partially Enhanced Area must receive an ASM Smog Check unless the vehicle is not compatible.
Basic Areas: Vehicles within specified model years are required to be certified every two years during their registration renewal with DMV. Vehicles registered in a Basic Area must receive a TSI (Two Speed Idle) Smog Check.
Change of Ownership Areas: Vehicles within specified model years are required to be certified only upon change of ownership or initial registration in California. Vehicles registered in this area must receive a TSI (Two Speed Idle) Smog Check.
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/02_SmogCheck/Program_Areas.html

The best one is "Change of Ownership Areas"

Here's the map of the counties that have it.
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/02_SmogCheck/engineering/Program_Map.pdf

Thing is you can do all that work, drive in major cities, and still get REF'd. :duh:

my car is supposed to be obd2 but its not anymore so im not goin to cali then

!Zar!
07-08-2008, 01:47 AM
my car is supposed to be obd2 but its not anymore so im not goin to cali then

We don't want you in cali anyways.

Shits the same everywhere.

Even in the bum fuck of nowhere.