PDA

View Full Version : anyone in real estate?

eastcoastS14
06-28-2008, 07:01 PM
so Im in the process of renting out my first apt...Ive lived in the dorms every year so far and finally getting my own place. My other roommates live far away and one is just lazy so Ive been doin all the leg work trying to get a place. Anyway the real estate agent I went through was impressed by me handling the situation and how Ive been working pretty hard to make this work (long story short one of my room mates is a dumbass) so we were talking today and joking around I said If she ever needed anyone to call me. She said she would definitely hire me if I was serious and said I should take the classes and state test to get my realtors license. If I did I really think I might be able to land a job at this place. So my question is, is anyone here in real estate? How much can you actually stand to make?(depending on where and how much you work obv) and how hard are the classes and tests etc? Im really considering doing it....If I got everything done by the end of the summer and could do it part time while being in school that would be awsome...plus hopefully would be a huge increase in the 240 fund

g6civcx
06-28-2008, 09:02 PM
is anyone here in real estate?

I am not a realtor. I'm a semi-serious investor. Average 2-3 transactions per year.

How much can you actually stand to make?

$0-$infinity :)

Seriously. No one can answer this question for you. Even realtors have a difficult time estimating their income because their income is commission-based.

how hard are the classes and tests etc?

Highly dependent on the state and the person. An average person may not find it easy but should still be doable. There is a lot of legal training, esp. propery, commercial, and contracts. An attorney should be able to ace with flying colours.

Good career if you have the right personality. Good luck.

exitspeed
06-28-2008, 11:11 PM
My wife is a realtor as you may know. A damn good one too. At one point she was in the top 15 percent of all realtors in the state.

Right now unfortunately, this is the WRONG time to get into the industry unless you have something else to fall back on.

It also is very dependent on the area you live in. If you want more info about it, pm me.

I also work for the same real estate company in their corporate office. Things are bleak everywhere. And in WI we didn't see nearly the boom in price like the east and west coast saw.

aziankingz
06-28-2008, 11:16 PM
real estate is still good in nyc.. slowing down a bit, but people selling and buying still.. where you from eastcoasts14

eastcoastS14
06-28-2008, 11:17 PM
^^ yeah the place I went to does mostly apartments and there are a bunch of colleges in the area with kids always looking for places...but like I said im a student so it would be something to do in addition to going to school, try to make some money on the side...not necessarily considering it as a career

aziankingz Im from MA

exitspeed
06-28-2008, 11:18 PM
real estate is still good in nyc.. slowing down a bit, but people selling and buying still.. where you from eastcoasts14

That;s always going to happen of course. People arne;t making money hand over fist like they were two years ago though.

It's more of a normal markket.

exitspeed
06-28-2008, 11:21 PM
^^ yeah the place I went to does mostly apartments and there are a bunch of colleges in the area with kids always looking for places...but like I said im a student so it would be something to do in addition to going to school, try to make some money on the side...not necessarily considering it as a career

aziankingz Im from MA

aWell if you are just asking about the test, I know that it has been dumbed down recently. It;s MUCH easier to pass your first time.

Keep in mind ot hold your licence you need to pay fees, which can be (and ar ein WI), thousands of dollars per yer. So if yoy don't have a good sphere of family and friends that are buying ad selling, it will be much more difficult to recoup those costs.

eastcoastS14
06-28-2008, 11:24 PM
^^ hmm might have to look into that lol....shellin out thousands is somethin id probably have to pass on haha