PDA

View Full Version : Tonsillectomy with out insurance

irax
06-26-2008, 07:38 PM
I have tonsillitis but I do not have health insurance, has anyone had the tonsils removed w/o health insurance? how much did it cost? what it cheaper straight cash?

ESmorz
06-26-2008, 07:43 PM
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/rjo0871l.jpg

Go to Mexico. Or... DIY it?

irax
06-26-2008, 07:47 PM
even in mexico how much is it usually? but fuck i don't want to go down there just to get robbed and then not have the money to pay for it!

blasting_speed
06-26-2008, 07:55 PM

You'd go to Mexico to get this done??? That's damn scary seeing as to how the mexican police officers will pull you over to rob you.

ESmorz
06-26-2008, 08:01 PM
You'd go to Mexico to get this done??? That's damn scary seeing as to how the mexican police officers will pull you over to rob you.

Lots of people go there for medical procedures.

KA-T_240
06-26-2008, 08:04 PM
My Grandpa and Grandmas' Sisters and brothers all live in AZ. They go to Mexico For all there Dental work. They say its some of the best health care you can get at 1/8th of the price in the us.

Somnambulist
06-26-2008, 08:07 PM
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/rjo0871l.jpg

:eek2::rofl:

Is it bad I thought the same thing?

My friend (who is from Mexico) has all his medical shit done in Mexico. Granted, he goes there almost six times a year, but I think he said the money he saved from medical/dental stuff makes up for his flying down there.

I'd see what Mexico has to offer.

ESmorz
06-26-2008, 08:07 PM
My Grandpa and Grandmas' Sisters and brothers all live in AZ. They go to Mexico For all there Dental work. They say its some of the best health care you can get at 1/8th of the price in the us.

Yep. Lots of old people do it.

On a side note.

Whenever you post KA-T_240 and I scroll down past your posts my screen flips out. It happens every time lol.

hunter8411
06-26-2008, 10:48 PM
My wife and I go down there for Dental work, seriously 1/10th the cost of getting it done here. She had 4 wisdom teeth removed there for $300 total, with meds, and she is perfectly fine.

Although the only thing that I worry about when I go there is the police also lol.

ALEXTHESUS*PECT
06-26-2008, 10:54 PM
you only need your tonsils remove if you have tonsilitus more than 4 times in 1 year, or 3 times two years in a row. other wise just pay toget some medication, much cheaper than surgery, and be a man and wait it out!

don't take out what you don't need to!

gotta240
06-26-2008, 10:58 PM
Yes, dental care is DIRT cheap down there. I know many people who go down there for dental care. Its cheap but i'll pass.

lol. police are the least of your worries if you behave and dont take drugs.

Non-sterile equipment is what i'm afraid of. Being taxed by the mexican cops may cost you 50 or 100 bucks. Getting a disease from equipment that isn't cleaned properly will cost you lots more.

hunter8411
06-26-2008, 11:20 PM
What Alex said is right, and even in Mexico they wont remove your tonsils without proof you've been sick atleast 4x in a year from it. And I WOULDNT go to a place that will just remove them on your word.

Also I wouldnt get work done at a place I didnt check out before hand, my wife's 2 cousins are dentist down there so I get too see how they clean there stuff and the conditions of the office before we got any work done. That way I didnt have to worry about infections and stuff.

gotta240
06-26-2008, 11:44 PM
What Alex said is right, and even in Mexico they wont remove your tonsils without proof you've been sick atleast 4x in a year from it. And I WOULDNT go to a place that will just remove them on your word.

Also I wouldnt get work done at a place I didnt check out before hand, my wife's 2 cousins are dentist down there so I get too see how they clean there stuff and the conditions of the office before we got any work done. That way I didnt have to worry about infections and stuff.

Where in mexico is this dentist office at? Do your cousins still work there?

PhilthyS13
06-26-2008, 11:55 PM
even in mexico how much is it usually? but fuck i don't want to go down there just to get robbed and then not have the money to pay for it!

Haha, you said "but f***"

Not to offend anyone, but I wouldn't let a Mexican doctor touch me. I'd rather try Canada. Americans are already bankrupting the subsidized subscriptions, so maybe that would work. But then again, a plane ticket to Canada will probably cover the price of the operation.

You could get the tonsillectomy, let it go to collections and then offer them 40 cents on the dollar. Not good for your credit, but it's cheaper. I had a friend who did that with his student loans.

DRavenS13
06-27-2008, 12:25 AM
Cheaper dental work in Mexico, you say?

I need a lot of work done.

I have no insurance either, and paying for an individual plan is ridiculous.

1ZlowZ
06-27-2008, 12:51 AM
I had 14 cavities because an old dentist of mines drilled my teeth to have braces put on. He didn't put the braces on and didn't cover the holes he made. I got each tooth drilled and filled for 20$ each in Mexico. Three years later it still feels feels as if every tooth is brand spankin new.

pr0tus
06-27-2008, 01:01 AM
drilled your teeth for braces? is that some old school shit?

1ZlowZ
06-27-2008, 01:11 AM
I don't know it was a long time ago thats why it turned into cavities. I was like 9 I think. 7 years later. 4 years ago my teeth ached and no dentist could tell I had little cavities. Even when I said the air would hurt my teeth. Dentist in Mexico right away found out as I opened my mouth he said "wow."

ESmorz
06-27-2008, 01:35 AM
drilled your teeth for braces? is that some old school shit?

http://mygrits.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/dental_drill_1.jpg

"You want the braces? Yeah you do, now lets make some holes weeeee oooo!"

:drama:

I'd go to a Mexican doctor if it was that much of an issue, no matter where you hospitals are absolutely fucking filthy. Just make sure you check the place out before having a procedure done. I'm sure if they are up to spec they will show you around.

xtreme_s14
06-27-2008, 05:18 AM

robbed? ummm.. in a weird sense i guess you could say missing a kidney, liver, one lung, a testicle or two is considered robbery!

irax
06-27-2008, 05:20 AM
thanks my friends. My sister gave me some antibiotics that she never used.

Its amoxicillin, and hopefully its exactly what I need.

This is the second time my tonsils have swollen in...... like.... 3 years and had a bacteria build up on the tonsils, I didn't goto the doctor because I thought I just had like a bad fever and a swollen throat. The fever peaked close to 120ish but averaged 115, I just took over the counter fever medication and stayed home for a week. It healed but left my tonsils with little crypts and once in a while would get food stuck be hind my tonsils but didn't bother me.

My Gay uncle is a nurse, but has been really busy being a nurse so I haven't had a chance to talk to him about it.

gotta240
06-27-2008, 08:49 AM
If your temp was 120ish or 115 you would be dead.... if not dead, brain dead.

irax
06-27-2008, 11:31 AM
If your temp was 120ish or 115 you would be dead.... if not dead, brain dead.

I can't remember exactly but they were really freaking high, if i took pics of the thermometer id remember exactly what it was.

just1pepsi
06-27-2008, 11:45 AM
not a good idea to take antibiotics that arent subscribed by a doctor, there are different types of bacteria, and different types of antibiotics for them. Get health insurance, or goto the hospital (they wont deny you treatment) You'll get a bill later, but they cant take your birthday away. Your health should be a top priority.

SW20Racer
06-27-2008, 12:02 PM
http://www.didntyouhear.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/alanprobeamateursurgeon.jpg

irax
12-30-2011, 03:48 AM
3.5 years later and I still haven't taken care of this. The amoxacillin worked like a charm. But now every time I get a sore throat I worry that I'll die.

lflkajfj12123
12-30-2011, 03:53 AM
Dealwith it

irax
12-30-2011, 04:40 AM
That's the plan for next year... that is if I don't die from this current attack of tonsillitis, or get really sick and just go to the ER

bb4_96
12-30-2011, 04:46 AM
Canada bra?

irax
12-30-2011, 04:51 AM
I live closer to mexico

bb4_96
12-30-2011, 05:16 AM
Mexico may be cheap but Canada is free bra

smellslikecurry
12-30-2011, 05:42 AM
Look into free or almost free clinics in your area. I did my rotations in one in NY last year and they charged $20 a visit no matter what disease state. People were being treated for cancer for next to nothing (relatively).

yokotas13
12-30-2011, 05:48 AM
they cant filter their water, something the romans figured out how to do. you can be DAMN sure i wont go there for a medical procedure

240Shwag
12-30-2011, 06:20 AM
3.5 years later and I still haven't taken care of this. The amoxacillin worked like a charm. But now every time I get a sore throat I worry that I'll die.

Amoxacillin is correct.

That's the plan for next year... that is if I don't die from this current attack of tonsillitis, or get really sick and just go to the ER

Your not going to die, and it seems like you don't get sick often enough to even warrent them being removed. You know the recovery time for a tonsillectomy is like 3 weeks right? Then don't forget all the other complications and risks involved (like ripping the sutures out with those chips you couldn't resist eating).

WanganRunner
12-30-2011, 07:36 AM
Mexican health care in the right facility is actually pretty damned good.

bb4_96
12-30-2011, 08:09 AM
Mexican health care in the right facility is actually pretty damned good.

The right facility isn't the cheap healthcare everyone goes to mexico for.

upsdude
12-30-2011, 08:47 AM
You'd go to Mexico to get this done???

where do you think lengua tacos come from? :keke:

anyways, OP you live in california. i'm sure there's SOME form of welfare/low income benefit that you qualify for. there's thousands of programs out there

theicecreamdan
12-30-2011, 10:47 AM
clinic, antibiotics, live

S14DB
12-30-2011, 03:28 PM

How often do they swell up? If you are just getting sore throats a Tonsillectomy won't be a long term solution. Unless they get to the point where you can't Sleep/eat/breath I wouldn't remove them.

240Shwag
12-30-2011, 07:21 PM
How often do they swell up? If you are just getting sore throats a Tonsillectomy won't be a long term solution. Unless they get to the point where you can't Sleep/eat/breath I wouldn't remove them.

I agree with this. Combine that with a dose of vitamins every day. Quit smoking(if you do) while your at it.

My tonsils are ragged pieces of shit. They have the craters you described and everything. They swell very rarely that I have been taking vitamins/being slightly more healthy and as long as I stay on top of it and either take it really easy for a couple days or get a script for antibiotics they heal up in the couple days and I'm gtg.

DS562
12-30-2011, 08:40 PM
my uvula and tonsils swell up all the time to the point where i choke. a humidifier when i sleep helps somewhat.

Jez
12-30-2011, 09:12 PM
I live in Canada and have a friend that goes to Mexico for his dental work, not sure where some of you guys are getting the idea that Canada is FREE?

I've just been to the dentist, I need a root canal filling or the tooth removed, with my insurance that will cost me $300 for the filling or $80 to have it pulled!

It certainly aint cheaper in Canada!

rat240
12-31-2011, 12:57 AM
I was told by a Dr that this procedure is not being done any more

chiboy002
12-31-2011, 02:49 AM
i was told by ihop that boysenberry syrup wasn't available in any ihop. i found it a week later in another ihop...

irax
how often does your shit hurt? I have this too, had some bad russian food and it fucked me up, i've been taking amoxicillin for about 1.5 weeks already and its still not completely gone.

I've been taking 500 fucking mg of it too, and it seems as though every few days it comes back. I'm not worried about dying, but its just getting damn annoying

KiLLeR2001
12-31-2011, 03:59 AM
thanks my friends. My sister gave me some antibiotics that she never used.

Its amoxicillin, and hopefully its exactly what I need.

This is the second time my tonsils have swollen in...... like.... 3 years and had a bacteria build up on the tonsils, I didn't goto the doctor because I thought I just had like a bad fever and a swollen throat. The fever peaked close to 120ish but averaged 115, I just took over the counter fever medication and stayed home for a week. It healed but left my tonsils with little crypts and once in a while would get food stuck be hind my tonsils but didn't bother me.

My Gay uncle is a nurse, but has been really busy being a nurse so I haven't had a chance to talk to him about it.

No way you had a 115F temperature. Anything over 106F starts to cause brain damage, lol...

DS562
12-31-2011, 12:10 PM
^ frls. when i got the West Nile virus my fever spiked to 104.x and we went to the emergencey room and they hooked me up on all sorts of machines. at 108* you're dead.

S14DB
12-31-2011, 03:30 PM
i was told by ihop that boysenberry syrup wasn't available in any ihop. i found it a week later in another ihop...

irax
how often does your shit hurt? I have this too, had some bad russian food and it fucked me up, i've been taking amoxicillin for about 1.5 weeks already and its still not completely gone.

I've been taking 500 fucking mg of it too, and it seems as though every few days it comes back. I'm not worried about dying, but its just getting damn annoying

It's probably inside your tonsils now and need some clindamycin or amoxicillin-clavulanate if it doesn't clear up after two weeks. You could also have a viral infection.

DrIvEsldEwAyS
12-31-2011, 08:50 PM
youd think if stuff was cheaper in mexico they wouldnt all be running this way. you dont see americans getting arrested and sent back here.

brndck
12-31-2011, 10:32 PM
I've got a screwdriver and a lighter. Come by my house and we'll handle that shit.
Or maybe carpool to TJ for dental?
Seriously tho I've known quite a few people who go to mex for dental and say its way legit. I need a filling fixed but I don't wanna pay $5-600 for it.

theicecreamdan
01-01-2012, 01:24 AM
not sure where some of you guys are getting the idea that Canada is FREE?

Michael Moore told me that it is.

erkthejerk73
01-02-2012, 09:17 AM
10 years ago i had mine out, what a nightmare!

didnt eat anything for 10 days lost 30 lbs and basically was a zombie!

bb4_96
01-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Get it done. I haven't had sore throat/inflammation since i got mine out. You don't realize how bad it is until you don't put up with the shit anymore. No more toncillitus every single time the seasons change.

codyace
01-03-2012, 09:35 AM
youd think if stuff was cheaper in mexico they wouldnt all be running this way. you dont see americans getting arrested and sent back here.

It's because you can get Medical work done here for Free, and without insurance ...you just don't pay

In Mexico, you pay first.

blueshark123
01-03-2012, 11:24 AM
If anyone wants some dental work for cheap I actually have a cousin that opened a really nice office In costa rica. It is safe and you dont have to worry about people stealing your stuff as much as mexico.

I can give you her contact if you are seious. I can also ask her if you need a estimate. I flew out 2 weeks ago over their and it cost me 400 the flight almost last minute. You can also get a vacation out of it. I have 2 other family members that do travel planning in costa rica aswell.