PDA

View Full Version : Impeachment? What Impeachment?

Jung918
06-20-2008, 12:09 PM
Impeachment? What Impeachment?
By Benjamin Radford
You probably didn’t hear about it, but on June 11, Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio) introduced 35 articles of impeachment against President Bush in the House of Representatives. The charges include obstruction of justice in the Sept. 11, 2001, investigation, violating United Nations charters, misleading the public about Iraq and illegally spying on Americans (it’s actually interesting reading; you can find it at kucinich.house.gov).

Kucinich’s historic efforts have received little support and virtually no press, with a news blackout surrounding the issue. Did you read about it in the Albuquerque Journal? Nope. To the best of my knowledge, the Journal has not printed a single word about the current articles of impeachment against George W. Bush.

Doesn’t that seem strange? A member of the House of Representatives brings 35 separate articles upon which the sitting President of the United States can be removed from office, but the Albuquerque Journal doesn’t consider it newsworthy? Did the Journal spike the story for some reason? I seem to recall front-page Journal stories about the articles of impeachment for President Clinton ... . Perhaps it was an oversight and someone should tell the Journal that their Washington bureau missed the story.

Whether or not you believe Bush should be impeached, the issue must be raised so that the people can decide. If Kucinich and others (more than one million Americans have signed a petition at ImpeachBush.org) who want Bush removed from office are wrong, then so be it. But let the government’s checks and balances do their job.

It’s important to realize that a vote supporting the articles of impeachment is not necessarily a vote to impeach President Bush. It is simply a vote to bring the issue up, to officially declare that there is a legitimate question of whether or not Bush has committed high crimes and misdemeanors that, if true, would warrant his removal from office.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has said that impeachment is off the table, and most Democrats have followed the party line. As for Tom Udall, his office explained, “With a little over a year left in office, attempting to bring impeachment charges against President Bush, or Vice-President Cheney, at this point, would prove counter-productive.” Basically, he’s saying we shouldn’t even try to find out if Bush is a criminal, because even if he is, he won’t be president for much longer. But former attorney general Udall fails to understand the law. If a man is suspected of embezzling from a company, we don’t decide not to put him on trial just because he’s a year from retirement. If a suspected rapist is caught, we don’t let him go because he was planning to move to another state soon anyway. Elected officials must be held accountable for their actions.

Our elected officials’ refusal to support Kucinich demonstrates not only political cowardice but also a violation of their Oath of Office. Tom Udall, Pete Domenici and others swore to defend the Constitution: “I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic ... and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office.” We are talking about clear allegations of a domestic threat to the United States Constitution, and by ignoring it, Udall, Domenici and others have violated their oath of office.

The articles of impeachment against George W. Bush should proceed; if he has committed no crimes or impeachable offenses, then Bush should leave office with America—and the world—knowing he has been vindicated. On the other hand, if the charges against Bush are proven true, it will serve as a precedent for future presidents that no one is above the law. If you commit a crime, then you are subject to impeachment, regardless of whether you have one year, one month or one minute remaining in office.

While some elected officials joined Kucinich, most of them didn’t. They don’t want to find out—and perhaps more troubling, they don’t want you to find out—whether or not the current President of the United States is a criminal. Our politicians, Democrat and Republican alike, exhibit a callous and shocking indifference for the rule of law and should be ashamed they refused to stand up for the Constitution they swore to protect.

http://alibi.com/index.php?story=23727&scn=news

Another Link
http://www.congress.org/congressorg/issues/votes/?votenum=401&chamber=H&congress=1102

kingkilburn
06-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Bout fucking time. I think it is time for a mass purge of our government. They all insist on playing ball in our court but not by our rules. As the article says they took an oath to uphold our constitution.

Matej
06-20-2008, 01:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBUkxvfL_eE

just1pepsi
06-20-2008, 01:48 PM
I dont expect anything to come from this, they are all crooks, and the fear of getting caught up in it will prevent anyone from actually persuing this. Consider the fact however that they brought up Clinton on Impeachment for getting a BJ in the oval office. (technically lying under oath) that pales in comparison to what this administration has done.

2Slow40
06-20-2008, 01:59 PM
I so watched this on C-Span that night!

I was wondering why no one's seemed to of heard about it. Everyone I told about it thought I was making shit up.

touge monster
06-20-2008, 02:11 PM
I dont know why he is still in office.

hitman
06-20-2008, 02:13 PM
i heard about it lol
it took him over 4 hours to read it all, then he had to read it all again. he cacn do it once every month or 3 months or something. there is a copy of the speech (20 pages) on the wall at the soc department at my school

ESmorz
06-20-2008, 02:15 PM
So you want to know how fucked up this country is? Our own House and Senate WILL pass the bill to pardon Bush of any war crimes. Shits ridonk.

Nothing will EVER come of this... EVER. The Bush-ites have their hands up too many peoples asses to let something like this happen.

Matej
06-20-2008, 02:20 PM
The Articles of Impeachment themselves are an interesting read.
http://kucinich.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=93581

Summary:

Article I
Creating a Secret Propaganda Campaign to Manufacture a False Case for War Against Iraq.

Article II
Falsely, Systematically, and with Criminal Intent Conflating the Attacks of September 11, 2001, With Misrepresentation of Iraq as a Security Threat as Part of Fraudulent Justification for a War of Aggression.

Article III
Misleading the American People and Members of Congress to Believe Iraq Possessed Weapons of Mass Destruction, to Manufacture a False Case for War.

Article IV
Misleading the American People and Members of Congress to Believe Iraq Posed an Imminent Threat to the United States.

Article V
Illegally Misspending Funds to Secretly Begin a War of Aggression.

Article VI
Invading Iraq in Violation of the Requirements of H. J. Res114.

Article VII
Invading Iraq Absent a Declaration of War.

Article VIII
Invading Iraq, A Sovereign Nation, in Violation of the UN Charter.

Article IX
Failing to Provide Troops With Body Armor and Vehicle Armor.

Article X
Falsifying Accounts of US Troop Deaths and Injuries for Political Purposes.

Article XI
Establishment of Permanent U.S. Military Bases in Iraq.

Article XII
Initiating a War Against Iraq for Control of That Nation's Natural Resources.

Article XIIII
Creating a Secret Task Force to Develop Energy and Military Policies With Respect to Iraq and Other Countries.

Article XIV
Misprision of a Felony, Misuse and Exposure of Classified Information And Obstruction of Justice in the Matter of Valerie Plame Wilson, Clandestine Agent of the Central Intelligence Agency.

Article XV
Providing Immunity from Prosecution for Criminal Contractors in Iraq.

Article XVI
Reckless Misspending and Waste of U.S. Tax Dollars in Connection With Iraq and US Contractors.

Article XVII
Illegal Detention: Detaining Indefinitely And Without Charge Persons Both U.S. Citizens and Foreign Captives.

Article XVIII
Torture: Secretly Authorizing, and Encouraging the Use of Torture Against Captives in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Other Places, as a Matter of Official Policy.

Article XIX
Rendition: Kidnapping People and Taking Them Against Their Will to "Black Sites" Located in Other Nations, Including Nations Known to Practice Torture.

Article XX
Imprisoning Children.

Article XXI
Misleading Congress and the American People About Threats from Iran, and Supporting Terrorist Organizations Within Iran, With the Goal of Overthrowing the Iranian Government.

Article XXII
Creating Secret Laws.

Article XXIII
Violation of the Posse Comitatus Act.

Article XXIV
Spying on American Citizens, Without a Court-Ordered Warrant, in Violation of the Law and the Fourth Amendment.

Article XXV
Directing Telecommunications Companies to Create an Illegal and Unconstitutional Database of the Private Telephone Numbers and Emails of American Citizens.

Article XXVI
Announcing the Intent to Violate Laws with Signing Statements.

Article XXVII
Failing to Comply with Congressional Subpoenas and Instructing Former Employees Not to Comply.

Article XXVIII
Tampering with Free and Fair Elections, Corruption of the Administration of Justice.

Article XXIX
Conspiracy to Violate the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

Article XXX
Misleading Congress and the American People in an Attempt to Destroy Medicare.

Article XXXI
Katrina: Failure to Plan for the Predicted Disaster of Hurricane Katrina, Failure to Respond to a Civil Emergency.

Article XXXII
Misleading Congress and the American People, Systematically Undermining Efforts to Address Global Climate Change.

Article XXXIII
Repeatedly Ignored and Failed to Respond to High Level Intelligence Warnings of Planned Terrorist Attacks in the US, Prior to 911.

Article XXXIV
Obstruction of the Investigation into the Attacks of September 11, 2001.

Article XXXV
Endangering the Health of 911 First Responders.

RJF
06-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Kucinich is an idiot. He says he's seen space aliens.

lok
06-20-2008, 03:56 PM

aliens are real!

build a pyramid!

Matej
06-20-2008, 05:00 PM
That doesn't make Bush innocent.

RJF
06-20-2008, 06:57 PM
That doesn't make Bush innocent.

None of those "charges" are valid...they're just talking points to give all the Bush-haters a warm and fuzzy feeling.

First of all regarding the "illegal" war - Congress gave approval for military action.

Second, in the late 90's, everyone's favorite President, Bill Clinton, even said that Iraq had WMD and Saddam couldn't be allowed to get nuclear weapons.

As for the others, they don't even merit a response.

And BTW, Clinton was not impeached for getting a BJ, he lied under oath (perjury) to a Grand Jury that was investigating a totally unrelated issue, Monica and Clinton's Oval Office activities got caught in the cross-fire and then the famous line "I did not have relations with that woman......"

OptionZero
06-20-2008, 07:27 PM
impeachment doesn't mean anything
it's just an official censure, a slap on the wrists

impeachment /= removal, but people mistakenly believe impeachment = removal. No. Removal is a separate step after impeachment.

Any, in any case, it's pointless. Bush is termed out.

OBEEWON
06-20-2008, 07:52 PM
All these charges have some degree of validity if you have half a brain, partial sight, and at least one eardrum.

Mi Beardo es Loco
06-20-2008, 08:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBUkxvfL_eE

Once this war has been traced and the Federal Reserve has been abolished (crossing fingers) then George Bush will be charged with war crimes. Sadly, I think that will be the same day that the easter bunny will come to my house and eat chocolate cake.

Landers
06-20-2008, 08:33 PM
www.zeitgeistmovie.com (http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com)
Shits on the reallll

SexPanda
06-20-2008, 08:40 PM
thats because no one cares aboot Dennis Kucinich. Easy as that. thats like Cher making a new album. No one cares.

just1pepsi
06-20-2008, 08:51 PM
None of those "charges" are valid...they're just talking points to give all the Bush-haters a warm and fuzzy feeling.

First of all regarding the "illegal" war - Congress gave approval for military action.

Second, in the late 90's, everyone's favorite President, Bill Clinton, even said that Iraq had WMD and Saddam couldn't be allowed to get nuclear weapons.

As for the others, they don't even merit a response.

And BTW, Clinton was not impeached for getting a BJ, he lied under oath (perjury) to a Grand Jury that was investigating a totally unrelated issue, Monica and Clinton's Oval Office activities got caught in the cross-fire and then the famous line "I did not have relations with that woman......"

re-read my post bud, I mentioned that. (lying under oath) -- no matter how much you blindly love your republican nominee, hes still a criminal, along with all his cronies including Bush Sr. -- Who knows what crimes he committed while director of the CIA. That whole family should be rounded up and shot in my honest opinion.

In the late 90's that may be true, that was then, this is now. Where did all the WMD's go? .. thats right the Sanctions eliminated their ability to produce them.

Alot of those points are referring to the intentional misleading of Congress and presenting false evidence, which at this point there is no doubt of. No worries though, they are pushing the bill for your boys, so they can be cleared of any wrong doing once their asses are out of office. Nothing like being a scum-fuck and getting away with it, too bad the rest of us arent afforded that luxury.

RJF
06-20-2008, 08:59 PM
OK, if you want to talk crimes and who should be investigated, then how about the Clinton bodycount?

I would not want to be associated with the Clintons, since everyone seems to "die" under mysterious or questionable circumstances.

http://www.clintonmemoriallibrary.com/clintbodycnt.html

just1pepsi
06-20-2008, 09:11 PM
yeah, okay.
W's body count (so far) 4000 and counting

- http://www.militarycity.com/valor/honor.html

Bush Sr.'s body count 383 (in Desert Storm) with an estimated 80-100 Thousand additional after the fact.

- http://www.freedommag.org/english/vol35I1/page08.htm

-- Not including any other deaths under the umbrella of the CIA

Do not try to deflect attention to Clinton, He is irrelevant today.

You think American troops want to die so that some rich family in Texas who owns interest in oil and is in bed with the Saudis can keep getting richer? GET REAL. OPEN YOUR EYES MY FRIEND.

They say they support the administration BECAUSE THEY ARE REQUIRED TO DO SO. They dont have the same freedoms we do, the US Constitution doesnt apply to them.

Mi Beardo es Loco
06-20-2008, 09:31 PM
www.zeitgeistmovie.com (http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com)
Shits on the reallll
that shit will change lives. Honestly, the person who will turn this country around is Ron Paul. Thank god he is out there because, even if doesn't ever become president, there is a person with solid power out there that knows the truth and is solidly trying to improve this country without corporate sponsorship. I mean, Jesus Christ, GWB should wear a damn nascar type jacket promoting all the corporations he's made rich from this war.

HalveBlue
06-20-2008, 09:38 PM
OK, if you want to talk crimes and who should be investigated, then how about the Clinton bodycount?

I would not want to be associated with the Clintons, since everyone seems to "die" under mysterious or questionable circumstances.

If only it were real.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/clintons/bodycount.asp

Jung918
06-21-2008, 01:04 PM
yeah, okay.
W's body count (so far) 4000 and counting

- http://www.militarycity.com/valor/honor.html

Bush Sr.'s body count 383 (in Desert Storm) with an estimated 80-100 Thousand additional after the fact.

- http://www.freedommag.org/english/vol35I1/page08.htm

-- Not including any other deaths under the umbrella of the CIA

Do not try to deflect attention to Clinton, He is irrelevant today.

You think American troops want to die so that some rich family in Texas who owns interest in oil and is in bed with the Saudis can keep getting richer? GET REAL. OPEN YOUR EYES MY FRIEND.

They say they support the administration BECAUSE THEY ARE REQUIRED TO DO SO. They dont have the same freedoms we do, the US Constitution doesnt apply to them.

THE MARINE CORPS

FROM THE CHAIRMAN, JOINTS CHIEF OF STAFF
Warns Troops About Politics

The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff has written an unusual open letter to all those in uniform, warning them to stay out of politics as the nation approaches a presidential election in which the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan will be a central, and certainly divisive, issue.

“The U.S. military must remain apolitical at all times and in all ways,” wrote the chairman, Adm. Mike Mullen, the nation’s highest-ranking officer. “It is and must always be a neutral instrument of the state, no matter which party holds sway.”

Admiral Mullen’s essay appears in the coming issue of Joint Force Quarterly, an official military journal that is distributed widely among the officer corps.

The essay is the first Admiral Mullen has written for the journal as chairman of the Joint Chiefs, and veteran officers said they could not remember when a similar “all-hands” letter had been issued to remind military personnel to remain outside, if not above, contentious political debate.

The essay can be seen as a reflection of the deep concern among senior officers that the military, which is paying the highest price in carrying out national security policy, may be drawn into politicking this year.

The war in Iraq has already exceeded the length of World War II and is the nation’s longest conflict fought with an all-volunteer military since the Revolutionary War.

In particular, members of the Joint Chiefs have expressed worries this election year about the influence of retired officers who advise political campaigns, who have publicly called for a change in policy or who serve as television commentators on the war.

Among the most outspoken were those who joined the so-called generals’ revolt in 2006 demanding the resignation of Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, as well as former officers who have written books attacking the Bush administration’s planning for and execution of the war in Iraq.

While retired officers have full rights to political activism, their colleagues still in uniform fear its effect on those trying to carry out the mission, especially more junior officers and enlisted personnel. Active-duty military personnel are prohibited from taking part in partisan politics.

“As the nation prepares to elect a new president,” Admiral Mullen wrote, “we would all do well to remember the promises we made: to obey civilian authority, to support and defend the Constitution and to do our duty at all times.”

“Keeping our politics private is a good first step,” he added. “The only things we should be wearing on our sleeves are our military insignia.”

Admiral Mullen said he was inspired to write the essay after receiving a constant stream of legitimate, if troubling, questions while visiting military personnel around the world. He said their questions included, “What if a Democrat wins?” and, “What will that do to the mission in Iraq?” and, “Do you think it’s better for one party or another to have the White House?”

“I am not suggesting that military professionals abandon all personal opinions about modern social or political issues,” Admiral Mullen wrote. “What I am suggesting — indeed, what the nation expects — is that military personnel will, in the execution of the mission assigned to them, put aside their partisan leanings. Political opinions have no place in cockpit or camp or conference room.”

He noted that “part of the deal we made when we joined up was to willingly subordinate our individual interests to the greater good of protecting vital national interests.”

drift freaq
06-21-2008, 02:22 PM
re-read my post bud, I mentioned that. (lying under oath) -- no matter how much you blindly love your republican nominee, hes still a criminal, along with all his cronies including Bush Sr. -- Who knows what crimes he committed while director of the CIA. That whole family should be rounded up and shot in my honest opinion.

In the late 90's that may be true, that was then, this is now. Where did all the WMD's go? .. thats right the Sanctions eliminated their ability to produce them.

Alot of those points are referring to the intentional misleading of Congress and presenting false evidence, which at this point there is no doubt of. No worries though, they are pushing the bill for your boys, so they can be cleared of any wrong doing once their asses are out of office. Nothing like being a scum-fuck and getting away with it, too bad the rest of us arent afforded that luxury.

Ok, I am not Republican but you fail to realize that even the Democrats rubber stamped Bush/Cheney and Rumsfields decision to invade. Hillary Clinton Voted for it as did most other Democrats. I do not like McCain but to just blatantly lump into the Bush camp is Democratic propaganda at best. He has been known to go against Bush and to be a Maverick in Congress he is not of the same molding as Bush. That said he has made mistakes though all the Democratic nominee's have either made mistakes or done nothing.

On the subject of WMD's. Of course Hussein had WMD's they were chemical weapons and he used them on the Kurds and the Iranians. Did he get rid of them before the invasion? Yes, months before the inspections or intelligence reports. There was enough saber rattling going on by the World and the U.S. for him to realize get these things out of the country. Was information played up by the Bush administration and exaggerated on Intelligence reports to push their agenda? Of course. Why do you think Colin Powell resigned.

Is any of this of completely impeachable were it would stand up under proceedings? No, why because the Bush administration did enough political manuevering that it would be completely inprovable. Wrong? yes.Deceitful yes? Oh and taking the whole family rounding them up and shooting them.
Well thats just a complete breakdown of the Political system at best and tatamount to coup. I.E. completely and totally undemocratic. Put them on trial if you want, but to just take them out and shoot well thats as bad as them or worse. Congratulations you have just lowered yourself to their level or below.

Matej
06-21-2008, 02:46 PM

So you don't believe that any of the charges against Bush are valid?
But you believe the Clinton Body Count?

I'm not saying Clinton was a saint, I'll never forgive him for the Kosovo conflict, though it's true that he was pressured into it by Madeleine Albright. It was ironic how while Americans were killing and orphaning thousands of children in Yugoslavia, America was preoccupied with whether a Cuban boy should be sent back to his father in Cuba.
But at least Clinton's economic policy was decent.

sillyvia13
06-23-2008, 11:53 PM
THE MARINE CORPS

FROM THE CHAIRMAN, JOINTS CHIEF OF STAFF

He noted that “part of the deal we made when we joined up was to willingly subordinate our individual interests to the greater good of protecting vital national interests.”

NO SHIT!
interFUCKINGesting.
do you have a soild copy of this?
OH BOY!

This world is going to show its dark side real soon! REAL SOON!
we will change for the good! I KNOW IT!
Ron Paul spoke TRUTH! and woke alot of people up! I stubbled into politics and now find myself going to dc on the 12 to support ron paul and life in usa and it should be. FREEDOM! will ring agian, either that or my ears from gun fire from us troops on us civilians. we'll see.
I have hope.

sillyvia13
06-24-2008, 12:01 AM
you will see them too! just wait.