PDA

View Full Version : ae86 guys?

lost_generation
06-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Alright, so i've tried to find this on the very few ae86 forums that are out there, but i recently got an sr5 coupe that is an auto(got it for a DD...great gas milage)... but i'm really starting to get tired of the auto factor and would love a manual tranny, but i cannot find any links or writeups on the swap, i found a t70 gts transmisson/driveshaft/rear end that i can get fairly cheap(local junkyard has a rolled hatcharoo)

but if anyone knows where to look, or what to do that would be great, i dont want to bother with a 4age swap or anything because it is a pure DD

any help would be great

theicecreamdan
06-15-2008, 10:53 AM
The bellhousing for the GTS and the SR5 is the only thing that might be a problem for you. The exhaust header is on different sides for the two models and the clutch slave cylinder is on the side opposite the exhaust. I think you can just extend the lines and shield them from the heat.

Its worth it to get those parts though, the rear end for the GTS has LSD's available and has disk brakes.

You'll need the clutch pedal and master cylinder too.

If you're planning on sticking with the 4ac though don't expect very much more fun just because its a 5 speed. PM me later I MIGHT have a sr5 bellhousing from my old blown transmission somewhere.

pr0ject TRUENO
06-15-2008, 10:54 AM
You'll need the gas tank also. SR5 is carbed so the tank isn't pressurized.

thejapino
06-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Club4ag.com
hachiroku.net

Those are a couple I know of. Club4ag is a good one thats been up for a long time.

ayuaddict
06-15-2008, 01:28 PM
You'll need the gas tank also. SR5 is carbed so the tank isn't pressurized.

i think hes just swapping to 5 speed, keeping the 4ac.

RiversideS13
06-15-2008, 01:32 PM
i personally think it is not worth it and it is so hard to work on ae86 because it is damn old....bolt or nut get strip easily and parts are hard to find. i sold mine within a month after i realized this.

240sx was a much better choice than AE86

lost_generation
06-15-2008, 02:19 PM
thanks for the links and anything else that was said... as for ditching the ae86 for a 240... i'm slowly building a 240 so i'm not worried about that

but as for the swap, its starting to seem that if i were to just spend an extra 600 bucks i could just do the full 16v swap and then reep the benifits of having an efi dohc motor which would be more reliable in the end, plus it is a super simple swap

ziptiedae86
06-15-2008, 02:49 PM
but as for the swap, its starting to seem that if i were to just spend an extra 600 bucks i could just do the full 16v swap and then reep the benifits of having an efi dohc motor which would be more reliable in the end, plus it is a super simple swap

GTSR5s are expensive and take a lot of work. If you are building a 240 why have 2 project cars? I recommend you keep one well maintained as a daily and dump your money into the project.

Unless you have a major hookup (ie: someone who will just give you parts as opposed to selling them and making money), you will spend more on your conversion than actually buying a GTS the first time around. That's why everyone recommends you purchase a GTS. Market prices (and this is being super conservative): the rear end with disc brakes will run $400, tranny $100, driveshaft $50, wiring $150, gas lines $75, gas tank $25, cluster $20, front disc brakes $50, 4AG engine $250, ecu $15. You're already over $1000 and this is just a swap without any maintenance.

SR5s are only good as DDs for gas mileage. If you ever plan on doing any kind of spirited driving, you should find a GTS.

I've spent more on my corolla than on my kouki 14 (including the price of the cars) if that tells you anything and I have an original GTS.

ziptiedae86
06-15-2008, 02:53 PM
and the ae86 tranny is a T50 not a T70

DohcKA
06-15-2008, 03:15 PM
yes yes t50.... man a gts swap is gunna run more than that i guarantee it..... ive spent a shitload on my ae and its still not where i want it...

JohnJohn86
06-15-2008, 07:35 PM
club4ag.com is all you need

Mi Beardo es Loco
06-15-2008, 07:43 PM
club4ag is pretty damn good. I've wanted a 3s powered Corolla since like 98. It'll probably be my next build but I really regret not getting a 86 when they were only like $500.