PDA

View Full Version : Honda is finally working on a RWD sedan...

SimpleS14
06-11-2008, 03:35 PM
The Acura RL received a facelift a few months ago in preparation for the 2009 model year, but that hasn't stopped Acura engineers from proceeding full speed ahead with a complete redesign for the 2011 model year. The all-new RL will be the first ever Acura to use a rear-wheel-drive platform as its basis. Our newest spy photos show a test mule for the new chassis, with body components donated from the new TSX.

Recent rumors also indicate the car will come equipped with Acura's first ever V8 — a 420 horsepower 4.8-liter range-topping unit. Other more economical engines are also expected to be offered. An optional RWD-based version of Honda's SH-AWD system is expected to be offered.

The RWD nature of this car is plain to see. Take note of the large space between the front door and the front wheel, for example. While the test mule pictured looks like a Frankenstein TSX, the final RL will have completely new styling unique to it. Since the Advanced Sedan Concept was unpopular to say the least, designers are believed to have gone back to the drawing board.

Source: http://www.leftlanenews.com/acura-rl-future.html

Granted right now its in early developments and the pics are just a mule. It's good news to see Honda finally make a RWD sedan. Maybe this platform could trickle down to a coupe. :naughty:

I just wonder if it's too late to draw anyone from the competition. I know for a fact i will stick with the Infiniti M..which around that time should have a redesign.

97KATURBOSILVIA
06-11-2008, 04:08 PM
probably cost as much as a bmw and if thats the fact I would by the bmw over it. Atleast they are taking the hint:coolugh:

Dutchmalmiss
06-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Finally some true sportiness from Honda. Too bad I hate the new front grill design.

kdashy
06-11-2008, 04:28 PM
The current RL's are 4wd so this isnt too much of a stretch.

BustedS13
06-11-2008, 04:40 PM
bout time. fwd is so passé

muddafakka
06-11-2008, 04:50 PM
I know for a fact i will stick with the Infiniti M..which around that time should have a redesign.

I really hope they don't stray too far from the current design. It looks perfect as-is. But looking at what happened to the Z and Maxima, I won't be too surprised if I see the front end butchered. :ugh:

As for Honda, that's cool and all but they're a little late to the competition. Even Hyundai beat them to it but it's better late than never I guess. Hopefully the final version won't be as butt ugly like the current Accord and boring like the '09 RL and TSX.

ronmcdon
06-11-2008, 05:45 PM
eh, i really doubt ppl who shop for RL's are much of driving enthusiasts to begin with. they are soft comfy cars. awd is actually a good choice to begin with.

what honda/acure should consider, is implementing rwd (or even their existing s-awd) on their sportier offerings like the tsx, or come out with a rwd new model from the ground up. considering how conservative honda is, that seems unlikely. Acura (not saying the Honda lineup) is, and has been since the demise of the itr, to be more or less a boring company. I get the impression their target demographic is catered more towards the guy who wants to get from 'a to b', reliability, and comfort. It's even more ho-hum than lexus.

imo, honda should just let acura die off, and focus on no nonsense good daily drivers and better performance cars. As much as I like Honda as a company overall, I don't think luxury cars is something they do well.

Antihero983
06-11-2008, 05:50 PM
**steps up to mic**

ahem, excuse me, let me just say..

ITS ABOUT FUCKING TIME.

exitspeed
06-11-2008, 05:59 PM
'Bout time. I hope they get the RWD sickness and make more.

SimpleS14
06-11-2008, 06:31 PM
I really hope they don't stray too far from the current design. It looks perfect as-is. But looking at what happened to the Z and Maxima, I won't be too surprised if I see the front end butchered. :ugh:

I look at the current G35/37 and have hope that the M will follow the same suit.

an_orange_s2k
06-11-2008, 07:04 PM
finally honda is moving away from the fwd..

OptionZero
06-11-2008, 07:06 PM
i think the TSX, TL, and RL look pretty good and priced very competively. Don't know how the quality's been lately.

About damn time, though.

kyoru
06-11-2008, 07:47 PM
TSX, TL and RL look great, if they were RWD they would be a steal. But wtf RWD sedan? Make a RWD coupe first honda!

chibo
06-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Show me an RSX-S in RWD and I'll show them a fat wad of cash.

iwishiwas-all*
06-11-2008, 11:13 PM
interesting stuff, look at the bulging hood, also my pops shoots and writes for left lane news among other places
here is one of his articles
http://www.leftlanenews.com/bentley-continental-gtc-review.html

OptionZero
06-12-2008, 12:03 AM
Anyone got more info on this?

Mugen Legend Max
v8 RL, basically

http://www.mugen-power.com/topics/legendmax0501/index.html

S13Boosts
06-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Fucking Honda....

beeracing s14
06-12-2008, 12:15 AM
honda ricers will jump for joy on this one... now RLs will be main target for a ricer's poor taste of upgrades.

I want an Audi A4 rear drive!

drift freaq
06-12-2008, 11:16 AM

As for Honda, that's cool and all but they're a little late to the competition. Even Hyundai beat them to it but it's better late than never I guess. Hopefully the final version won't be as butt ugly like the current Accord and boring like the '09 RL and TSX.

Ah Current front end of the Z looks fine. If your talking about the speculation of the Next Z thats it SPECULATION! Until it drops we are not going to know for sure.

Oh and to stay on topic that Honda/Acura test mule looks boring as shit. I would buy something else before that without even blinking an eye. Only Honda lovers will get excited about that thing.

Oh wait a bunch of you are Honda lovers . Having no real experience with Nissans besides jumping on the 240 bandwagon. Sorry guys you left yourself wide open for that comment with this thread. :D

Oh and to head Option Zero off at the pass, ya it was a smart ass comment and yes I like other brands of cars. So get off your I only jock Nissan's high horse, this is a Nissan forum. Oh and this was tongue in cheek as well in case its lost on you.

muddafakka
06-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Ah Current front end of the Z looks fine. If your talking about the speculation of the Next Z thats it SPECULATION! Until it drops we are not going to know for sure.

Yeah I was talking about the speculation.

06-12-2008, 12:25 PM
I want an Audi A4 rear drive!

Me too!

I think all cars should be RWD , but that's just me:2f2f:

exitspeed
06-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Oh and to stay on topic that Honda/Acura test mule looks boring as shit. I would buy something else before that without even blinking an eye. Only Honda lovers will get excited about that thing.

Yea, honestly besides the S2000, Honda/Acura does nothing for me. Even for DD's i'd prefer a Toyota over a Honda.

While I'm glad they are finally jumping on the RWD luxo sedan tip, until they make something that will be more in my pricerange and prove themselves, I'll continue to be stand-offish with their products.

JDMFLCL
06-12-2008, 12:52 PM
make a rwd civic si with a boosted K series, and i wont buy 1, ill buy 5

HyperTek
06-12-2008, 03:48 PM
IT WILL BE A BRAND NEW ACURA SEDAN = means i wont be able to afford it lmao

Dutchmalmiss
06-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Me too!

I think all cars should be RWD , but that's just me:2f2f:

You're not the only one. :wavey:

OptionZero
06-12-2008, 07:58 PM

Oh wait a bunch of you are Honda lovers . Having no real experience with Nissans besides jumping on the 240 bandwagon. Sorry guys you left yourself wide open for that comment with this thread. :D

Oh and to head Option Zero off at the pass, ya it was a smart ass comment and yes I like other brands of cars. So get off your I only jock Nissan's high horse, this is a Nissan forum. Oh and this was tongue in cheek as well in case its lost on you.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/OptionAero/poster9133934.jpg

Above and below are tongue in cheek, in case its lost on you.

I'm not a Nissan fan.
I'm not any brand fan, except Aston Martin, which is my current motivation for getting my degree.
I don't even like cars.

In fact, I have no opinion on anything, so I'd pretty much have nothing to say but for...well, you.

to stay on topic, info from Wikipedia on the V8 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mugen_Motorsports) used in the Legend Max, which may or may not be the basis for the v8 in this "new rwd sedan"

In 2001, Mugen concentrated once more in the JGTC, the NSX winning two races, and finishing second (Mugen/Dome) and third (ARTA) in the series. More importantly, in June, the company announced development of the a new 4.0 L V8, dubbed MF408S, for the main prototype class in the 24 Hours of Le Mans and American Le Mans Series. At the time, Mugen acknowledged that international sportscar racing was a new category for them. The concept of the MF408S was high power, compact size, durability and reliability. Mugen chose a 4.0 L normally aspirated engine because they felt through their experience in Formula 3 that restrictor size was key to performance. The idea was to save fuel with a smaller displacement engine, since, theoretically, restrictor size will bring power in any engine to a similar level. The main engines in use at the time were producing around 600 hp, including the turbocharged Audi and Cadillac, as well as the larger displacement BMW and the Roush-prepared Ford. Mugen excluded a turbo as this necessitated use of intercoolers to extract maximum performance, which added to the weight and reduced performance.

MF408S engine technical specifications:

* Engine Name MF408S
* Engine 90° V8, naturally aspirated
* Displacement 4,000 cm³
* Max Power 590+ hp (440 kW) @ 9,500 rpm
* Max Torque 383 lbf·ft (519 N·m @ 7,500 rpm
* Restrictor Size 33.4 mm x2 or 46.8 mm x1
* Ignition Type Direct Injection
* ECU System EFI-Technology
* CDI System EFI-Technology
* Clutch Type/Size Carbon / 5.5inch 4-plate
* Maintenance Interval >3,000 km (>5,000 km at Le Mans 24h)
* Length 559 mm (not including flywheel)
* Height 577 mm (not including flywheel)
* Width 720 mm
* Weight 131 kg
* Crank Height 92 mm

chibo
06-12-2008, 09:05 PM
make a rwd civic si with a boosted K series, and i wont buy 1, ill buy 5
Shit, it wouldn't even have to be boosted. I'd buy at least one Civic with a K series if it was RWD.

turtl631
06-12-2008, 09:33 PM
I've always thought the prelude would have been kinda cool if it were RWD.

The TSX would be a cool RWD car too, much more of a 3 Series competitor.

OptionZero
06-12-2008, 09:52 PM
iirc the Legend is the car that shoulda been RWD (damn you honda)

it was a fwd car with a longitudinally mounted engine

oh, and RL? stupid fuckin name attempting to bite off the lexus/bmw/mb/audi conventions

ronmcdon
06-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Yea, honestly besides the S2000, Honda/Acura does nothing for me. Even for DD's i'd prefer a Toyota over a Honda.

wow, that's a bit harsh. :(

honda's not the most interesting, but I can't honestly think of anything in the toyota lineup that drives as well as the Fit and the Si. My gripe with toyota is very light steering and overall lack of feedback in their cars. Apart from that, the most exciting offering from toyota current lineup right now is the V6 camry. I think that speaks for itself.

beeracing s14
06-13-2008, 12:01 AM
I can't honestly think of anything in the toyota lineup that drives as well as the Fit and the Si. My gripe with toyota is very light steering and overall lack of feedback in their cars. Apart from that, the most exciting offering from toyota current lineup right now is the V6 camry. I think that speaks for itself.

with the subaru/toyota alliance a new ae86 is coming up! wait for it yo!

in case you are wondering, search it by image.

ronmcdon
06-13-2008, 01:01 AM
haha, funny you metioned that. I actually traded in my sti for an evo, largely b/c of the vague and light steering feel of the sti, vs. the very precise and quick steering of the evo. interestingly, i enjoy the steering of the regular wrx more than the sti, so I have faith in subaru.

but yes, i know exactly what you mean by the subaru-toyota join venture, and I do look forward to it. :)