PDA

View Full Version : Death of the SUV

dert420sx
06-06-2008, 09:46 AM
with gas prices nearing $5/gal ($4.49 for 87 near my work in santa ana!), it gives me a good belly laugh everytime a huge suv with a v8 engine tries to pass me on the freeway and i step on the gas a bit more just so they have to try harder to pass me.

this is a great article...

The Death of the SUV
by Mike Krumboltz
June 4, 2008 03:11:39 PM
Dearly beloved. We gather here today to mourn the demise of the sport utility vehicle (http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=sport+utility+vehicle&cs=bz), or "SUV (http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=suv&cs=bz)" as its friends liked to call it.
The gas-guzzler lived a full life, driving in the fast lane from the 1990s to the mid-2000s. Alas, it fell ill a few years ago and never recovered. And really, we can't say the death came as a surprise. For years, folks complained about the environmental impact of low-mileage vehicles. Over time, those voices grew louder, but still the SUV fought on, proudly taking up two parking spaces and scaring hybrids (http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=hybrids&cs=bz) from its lane.
But then, gas prices soared and the SUV's vital signs plummeted. As much as people love large cars, the costs to keep fuel in the tank proved too much to take. As the New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/04/business/04leonhardt.html?_r=1&ref=automobiles&oref=slogin) reported, it now costs $100k to own and keep a similarly inefficient full size pickup running for five years. And so people pulled the plug on their trucks and SUVs, taking the beleaguered vehicles off life support and into the museum of dead car fads.
U.S. News and World Report (http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/daily-news/080604-General-Motors-Others-Decide-the-SUV-is-Dead/) has written a thoughtful and compelling obit on the yuppie chariot. Read it and remember the SUV's positive qualities as well as its faults. It's what it would have wanted.

link: http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/91472

exitspeed
06-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Yep. It's real.

This is a better article.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/05/autoline-on-autoblog-with-john-mcelroy/

BOROSUN
06-06-2008, 10:00 AM
i heard it on the radio last week.

cars is outselling the trucks.
they said theyre going to save 1 billion something by cutting it and switching more to hybrid/cars.

just1pepsi
06-06-2008, 10:03 AM
I can afford to fill the tank on my gas guzzler, so I dont care. thats just how I roll. lol.
Actually, I'm getting ready to take a fat loss and trade into a fuel sipping econo-box.

kyoru
06-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Heck I'm thinking about selling my G35, I'd rather have a four banger lol

azndoc
06-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Yeah...

It's pretty bad these days.

Dutchmalmiss
06-06-2008, 11:14 AM
It only makes sense. I mean if you're not towing something or carrying an army of kids, why drive it? If your ego is dependant on a bigger car, then fuck your ego.

just1pepsi
06-06-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm going to wait until I move so I dont have to rent a truck, then I'm going to trade into a sickening payment on a honda fit or similar, the money I save on insurance and gas will offset the payment, and I'll be in better shape for gas prices hit 7 bucks per gallon. I just hate to knowingly get upside down in a freakin car payment. :( I dont know wtf I was thinking when I bought my truck.

dert420sx
06-06-2008, 11:56 AM
It only makes sense. I mean if you're not towing something or carrying an army of kids, why drive it? If your ego is dependant on a bigger car, then fuck your ego.

funny how the commercials for the suv's back then showed the vehicle driving thru the mud, snow, on a mountain. i don't know anyone here in l.a. that actually used their "sport" utility vehicle like that...mostly soccer moms who needed bigger grocery getters......

and NOBODY needs a friggin Hummer besides the military. i almost got sideswiped by a H2 on the freeway cause the bitch on her cell phone didn't even know she was drifting over into my lane.

SimpleSexy180
06-06-2008, 12:03 PM
good. i HATE SUV's.

i was so upset when my dad got a tahoe in 2002.

LeftNutOfGowd
06-06-2008, 12:54 PM
My mom bought a Toyota Sequoia in like 2004 and ever since gas went up this year she went out and got herself a Toyota Camry and the Sequoia just seats in the garage and hasn't been moved in like 2 months lol

Mi Beardo es Loco
06-06-2008, 01:01 PM
so....in a round about way, George Bush is saving the ozone, thus, a world hero. lol. I feel dirty now.

shmiddy
06-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Hybrids Ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

an_orange_s2k
06-06-2008, 01:08 PM
some guys need to have a HUGE SUV to compensate :keke:

djcobra
06-06-2008, 01:25 PM
^^ I agree lol... Living in Calgary all you see is Pick-up/SUV drivers and 98% of the time nobody else is in the bloody huge/monster vehicle. Waste of space, and always in my freaking way while driving.... "move out the way biatch!" haha.

umm i drive a 'Shaggin wagon' (lol) when I need too, apposed to driving some huge monster SUV, does the job; probably used/abused the hell of it than an average SUV owner would. Shoved engines/tranny's/lumber/grocery etc... in the back, hey it's a FORD! lol

Steve.

Mi Beardo es Loco
06-06-2008, 01:35 PM
the stupidest thing I see are when people are driving SUV's by themselves. I also hate watching a SUV speeding west on the 10 swerving in and out of traffic. It's like a loaded weapon.

cisco240
06-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Everytime I fill up the xB, it makes me glad that I got rid of my 16mpg Xterra for the box back in 06. I laugh to myself whenever I'm filling up and see a big ol truck or SUV at a gas station.
I just filled it a couple days ago & it cost me $43. I was Like WTF! But then I realized that I have it a lot better than the majority of drivers.
You don't see very many Excursions or Suburbans lately.

DALAZ_68
06-06-2008, 01:54 PM
lol even my dad put his truck to the back of the driveway tarp and all...he only uses it for hunting now

due to gas prices im heavily considering turniong my current car into a track vehicle and just buying a Yaris...gayish looking car but shit 30+ MPG compared to my CA's 16 or so MPG...**limp wrist motion** fuck it

Antihero983
06-06-2008, 02:08 PM
about. fucking. time.

ive always hated SUVs....except for the pathfinder/Xterra.

ive never owned a new car, but when the cube comes stateside, i will.

i <3 my 35mpg 1991 corolla with only 101K on it.

B18C5MK1
06-06-2008, 02:26 PM
i ride a 2007 Bajaj Chetak

took $1.23 to fill it up this morning w/ 91. gets about 100mpg.
in your face!

http://www.epfguzzi.com/forsale/chetaksil.jpg

Dutchmalmiss
06-06-2008, 02:41 PM
ive never owned a new car, but when the cube comes stateside, i will.

Is this really happening? If so, I'll hold off on getting a Fit. I'm IN LOVE with the Cube!

exitspeed
06-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Everytime I fill up the xB, it makes me glad that I got rid of my 16mpg Xterra for the box back in 06. I laugh to myself whenever I'm filling up and see a big ol truck or SUV at a gas station.
I just filled it a couple days ago & it cost me $43. I was Like WTF! But then I realized that I have it a lot better than the majority of drivers.
You don't see very many Excursions or Suburbans lately.

You do in WI. Milwaukee is the LAND of SUV's and Trucks.

RiversideS13
06-06-2008, 02:50 PM
= death of FORD

DanS14RB
06-06-2008, 03:20 PM
I like my CNG civic to beat around in...its got no balls but only costs about 15bucks to fill up. Or if you are a sick baller you can get the gas company to set up a natural gas pump in your garage...

drift freaq
06-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Oil spikes at $138 a barrel today!

dert420sx
06-06-2008, 03:32 PM
some guys need to have a HUGE SUV to compensate :keke:

yeah...or the super lifted trucks with the big ass dirt tires.

like dude, how small is it? :squint:

VROOOM
06-06-2008, 04:33 PM
when i bought my car a few weeks ago there was about 25 big huge SUV's in a line. i asked the salesman what was up with them. he said everyone is trading them in and no one is buying them. LOL

TheTimanator
06-06-2008, 04:56 PM
I've always hated SUV's. Waste of money, crappy mileage, and dangerous to everyone else on the road in smaller vehicles.

I too get a chuckle whenever I'm at the pump next to a truck/suv driver. I have no sympathy whatsoever. Only exception is small business's that require trucks, I fell bad for those guys. I've never owned a vehicle that got less than 25ish mpg and never will.

EDacIouSX
06-06-2008, 05:04 PM
so....in a round about way, George Bush is saving the ozone, thus, a world hero. lol. I feel dirty now.

how the fk did george bush get into this topic? seriously......

muddafakka
06-06-2008, 05:09 PM
My dad has a Jeep and uses it for work and hauling shit but he's probably gonna get a truck soon.

The only SUV I would even consider driving is the Nissan Patrol...so badass. Wish we got them here in the states. If I want an offroad vehicle I'll just get a truck...or a Suby heh.

I know there are people out there who use their SUVs for their intended purposes but I never see them on a day to day basis. All I see are fuckwads on their phones like they're the shit. I can't count how many times an SUV has almost gotten me into an accident, especially those Hummer H2 driving dickheads.

Matej
06-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Finally, I've been waiting for this.
Us who drive tiny cars that pose the biggest risk to ourselves only for driving them get profiled like the most dangerous criminals, while bad drivers in suv's are taking out entire families left and right.

ESmorz
06-06-2008, 06:46 PM
SUV's suck dick.

There I said it.

I've had to many close calls with bad drivers in vehicles way to big for their brains...

svensko
06-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Actually the drivers and passengers of SUVs are also in immense danger when in one. They are classified as trucks to get around the fuel mileage and safety regulations. So, guess where that roof goes when your SUV flips? That's right, where you used to be. :ugh:

eastcoastS14
06-06-2008, 07:32 PM
thank god....apart from landrovers I hate SUVs

amaank
06-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Forget SUVs, forget cars even! Motorbikes is where its at. My CBR600 gets well over 40mpg and chews up street cars like taffy.

The ROMAN
06-06-2008, 08:31 PM
It really is great, I've seen so many Tahoes, Jeeps and other SUVs parked in people's front lawns with for sale signs on them. Good luck with that!! They might as well bury them, they're dinosaurs now.

SexPanda
06-06-2008, 08:32 PM
damn im sorry guys. Gas in mo is about 3.75 for 87, 4.00 for 93. But yeah not only death for the suv, death for anything that doesnt get at least 20 city. I cant wait for the new Turbo V6 Mustang GT! (sarcasm)

ryguy
06-07-2008, 12:58 AM
My dad has a newer Yukon. I like driving it from time to time. Its much comfier than a car. Good thing my parents keep their cars for 10+ years, he could never sell that mofo now (not that he wants to).

SochBAT
06-07-2008, 01:30 AM
10MPG baby, at IDLE.

i hate my cherokee.

Seriously, cool facts.

As of last year, the number of cars that run outta gas for AAA has doubled.

We, as a nation, have driven 1 Billion miles less this year. IIRC.

S13SilviaGirl
06-07-2008, 01:50 AM
YAY I am soooooooo glad the SUV's are slowly going away. There is NO need for them! Trucks, I can understand and see a point to...for towing or moving heavy things in the bed...SUVs are just pointless.

The ROMAN
06-07-2008, 04:53 AM
10MPG baby, at IDLE.

i hate my cherokee.

Seriously, cool facts.

As of last year, the number of cars that run outta gas for AAA has doubled.

We, as a nation, have driven 1 Billion miles less this year. IIRC.

10mpg at idle is really good actually. I get 0 mpg no matter what car I'm in at idle. :fruit:

Seriously though, so less demand should equal lower prices at some point, right? I wonder if the speculation of oil is turning into a bubble. Then it can burst and gas can go back to $1....yeah.

FaLKoN240
06-07-2008, 09:07 AM
YAY I am soooooooo glad the SUV's are slowly going away. There is NO need for them! Trucks, I can understand and see a point to...for towing or moving heavy things in the bed...SUVs are just pointless.

I totally agree, my friend and I have always believe people should have to get use permits for SUVs and trucks.

Those things get HALF the gas mileage as other cars. You don't need a 4 ton truck to get to the grocery store, or pick up the kids, or to go shopping.

I'm happy gas prices are killing off those pieces of shit.

This is just automotive natural selection.

Sad s13
06-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Seriously though, so less demand should equal lower prices at some point, right? I wonder if the speculation of oil is turning into a bubble. Then it can burst and gas can go back to $1....yeah.[/quote]

less demand means they the gas companies make less money so they have to charge more to make up for the loss.
i heard about some company buying up land and turning it into crops for e85 then sell it for $3 a gallon so we would eagerly buy it and be happy and they would make millions bc it costs less than 25 cents to make:-/

theicecreamdan
06-07-2008, 10:21 AM
I'll be keeping my truck, and trying to get my girlfriend to buy a range rover.

Future240
06-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Its a possibilty though that Suv's won't die. I read an article on yahoo that got me thinking. (cant find link) It talked about how gas now was like the housing market some years back. How high profits made the build a shit ton of houses, and high prices made people stopped buying, which according to the article is one of the major causes of the housing slump. If you apply this to gas, it means prices will get high as hell, and then plummet as supply and demand work their magic and bring the market to equilibrium. I think if that happened the suv would make a huge comeback in the form of new more fuel efficient models that get like 24-28 mpg. People still want suv's, (my mother and her obession with the pathfinder) they juss dont want to pay a shit ton to make it go.

SochBAT
06-07-2008, 12:18 PM
I think if that happened the suv would make a huge comeback in the form of new more fuel efficient models that get like 12-16 mpg.

Fixed. harhar.

imotion s14
06-07-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm a lumber jack, so I need an SUV to match my flannel shirt.

Silvia_S13
06-07-2008, 03:01 PM
i <3 my gas guzzler.

they should make lanes for all you hybrid users, small unsafe tiny cars lane with a 50mph limit. gtfo my way

my 240 needs a tower

smellslikecurry
06-07-2008, 03:41 PM
i love my fj :(
i take it to the beach
i go camping in it
it tows the miata around
and the fj + miata combo pulls in tons of fags...i mean i bang mad girls in the back

but for reals im selling the integra and getting a mini soon...nice quick little cars that give you 30mpg woo

beeracing s14
06-07-2008, 06:57 PM
i dont feel sorry for the bastards who still support the bling bling look. SUV FOR SINGLE PEOPLE JUST DONT MATCH RIGHT! THROW THOSE GARBAGE AWAY!

shrimpscampi
06-07-2008, 07:37 PM
the stupidest thing I see are when people are driving SUV's by themselves. I also hate watching a SUV speeding west on the 10 swerving in and out of traffic. It's like a loaded weapon.

I totally agree...

veilside180sx
06-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Try pulling a boat with a car, and then let me know how it goes.

Trucks and SUV's have their place in society, but DD is not it.

Future240
06-07-2008, 09:45 PM
I've had to many close calls with bad drivers in vehicles way to big for their brains...

I work for the parking and transportation for my school right, and we were doing parkin stuff for this play that the local elementary school was havin. and this lady came through driving some suv and hit our PARKED truck, while she was tryin to park. She barely knew how to drive it, she had problems lettin the window down.

muddafakka
06-07-2008, 10:31 PM
So nobody loves prerunners as much as I do?

I'd rock one...if I had lots o' monay and didn't live in FL.

LS2 powered Silverado...teh sex0rz!
http://www.off-roadweb.com/features/0705or_2006_chevy_silverado_prerunner/photos.html
http://images.off-roadweb.com/features/0705or_01_z+2006_chevy_silverado_prerunner+front_a ngle.jpg

ryguy
06-08-2008, 12:20 AM
^Those things are bad ass.

I can tell a lot of you don't come from big families. With my family we had no choice but to have an SUV or a GM van. We used to have a GMC Safari and now my dad has a Yukon. Seven people going out to breakfast on Sunday mornings will not fit in a car, and 4x8 sheets of plywood fit perfectly in the SUV. With my old man being a do-it-yourselfer, the truck is absolutely practical. I haven't heard him complain about gas once though, it doesn't seem to bother him. You need to keep in mind that they still kick 2 separate cars asses in miles per gallon per person.

Dutchmalmiss
06-08-2008, 12:55 AM

I can tell a lot of you don't come from big families. With my family we had no choice but to have an SUV or a GM van. We used to have a GMC Safari and now my dad has a Yukon. Seven people going out to breakfast on Sunday mornings will not fit in a car, and 4x8 sheets of plywood fit perfectly in the SUV. With my old man being a do-it-yourselfer, the truck is absolutely practical. I haven't heard him complain about gas once though, it doesn't seem to bother him. You need to keep in mind that they still kick 2 separate cars asses in miles per gallon per person.

I think we're all aware that it's necessary to have a high-capacity vehicle for the big families. It's just that one person that chooses to buy an SUV for the BALLER/BIG/AWESOME BALLS/FUCK YEAH status. Also, not to be sexist, but when I'm in Hollywood, all that I see driving them are women on cell phones. :smash:

Tearlessj
06-08-2008, 03:12 AM
I love our titan. We can throw all our luggage in the back, and have enough room for me to stretch all the way out (front or back). We take the Titan to Michigan for Christmas. Its a blast.

BOROSUN
06-08-2008, 03:40 AM
my wife is planning to buy a suv maybe acura mdx. we have kids and old people to transport. there's no way around it but, to buy a suv or i can ditch the old people and get a wagon. hmmm evo wagon or sti. hahaha

im just hoping the suv prices go down as well.

The ROMAN
06-08-2008, 07:59 AM

You have to remember that 20-30 years ago, families actually tended to be bigger than they are today, yet trucks and SUVs were a rarity. I think most people just convince themselves that they need something when they really don't.

TheTimanator
06-08-2008, 08:20 AM
^^^ agreed. Whats wrong with a minivan? Better mileage, less chance of a rollover, etc.

Some people who need the passenger room just need to swallow their pride and get over the "I will never drive a minvan" thing.

wangan_cruiser
06-08-2008, 10:19 AM
my wife is planning to buy a suv maybe acura mdx. we have kids and old people to transport. there's no way around it but, to buy a suv or i can ditch the old people and get a wagon. hmmm evo wagon or sti. hahaha

im just hoping the suv prices go down as well.

evo wagon or sti wagon?

yea i dont feel sorry for people likes to show off with their stupid gas guzzlers. they suck more gas for everybody else. i understand about trucks for their use but SUV's just to DD....thats stupid

BOROSUN
06-08-2008, 11:00 AM
i meant the evox/new wrx. its more like a 4 door hatch, though.

i wish they did have the evo wagon.

i dont mind driving a van. but, my wife doesnt like it.

beeracing s14
06-08-2008, 09:37 PM
death of SUVs = death to the DUB fashion!!

flclsteve
06-08-2008, 10:08 PM
death of SUVs = death to the DUB fashion!!
that died the moment it started :ghey:

ronmcdon
06-08-2008, 10:27 PM
i meant the evox/new wrx. its more like a 4 door hatch, though.

i wish they did have the evo wagon.

i dont mind driving a van. but, my wife doesnt like it.

if you want to save gas, i advise against getting an evo x or the old gd-8 sti. can't speak for the new Sti, but I'm sure its not fuel saver. I used to have a 06 sti, averaged 18mpg. traded it in for an evo x this yr. damn gas guzzler gets around 15mpg on average! :( the best i've ever gotten was 21 mpg on the freeway, doing 75mph via cruise control. they both ask for premium 93 octane too. The sti and evo are fun cars, but they're not fuel efficient by a long shot, nor do think they were designed to be so from the start.

come to think of it, i don't think even the base impreza or lancer models are all that good on gas.

I cannot afford to daily drive my evo. I use my 240sx for that instead. 26 mpg on average with my sr-swap :D

Mi Beardo es Loco
06-09-2008, 12:11 AM
that died the moment it started :ghey:

almost as fast as spinners went out of style.

an_orange_s2k
06-09-2008, 12:22 AM
^^i think the non spinners went out faster, they ones that just stayed still and looked like they were floating

EDacIouSX
06-09-2008, 01:03 PM
^^i think the non spinners went out faster, they ones that just stayed still and looked like they were floating

also known as..... Floaters

SlideWell
06-09-2008, 01:06 PM
im just gonna burn thru a tank in a day when my car rolls outta the shop, regardless :)

just1pepsi
06-09-2008, 01:09 PM
mid 90's ford escort wagon. 4 doors, rear hatch, 1.9 liters of fury. gets solid 30's as a commuter car. Just gotta be prepared for it to drop a valve seat for no apparent reason.