PDA

View Full Version : love in this club was made on garageband.

06-03-2008, 10:12 PM
the guy in this video is an idiot, but you get it.
i have lost all respect for polow da don. :-/
i wonder how much usher paid for these beats.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NVHvnpoVTGY

LongGrain
06-03-2008, 10:19 PM
crazy

ive tried to make music on garage band

but i suck at it.

180sExy
06-03-2008, 10:38 PM
wow so fuckin lame!!!! lolz usher got ripped!!! Thats some pretty crazy shit if you ask me!

touge monster
06-03-2008, 10:40 PM
the guy in this video is an idiot, but you get it.
i have lost all respect for polow da don. :-/

I've lost respect for MOST if not ALL of today's "mainstream" music. They come up with the most stupid shit ever. :smash:
great find!

YoungGun
06-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Sucks !

TiNMAN
06-03-2008, 10:48 PM
mmm beats.

murda-c
06-03-2008, 10:53 PM
So wait, they made beats, on a program made for making beats...and you're suprised.

i'm so confuddled.

touge monster
06-03-2008, 10:57 PM
So wait, they made beats, on a program made for making beats...and you're suprised.

i'm so confuddled.

Those ones he used comes with every Garage Band programs for Mac

!Zar!
06-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Why does that dudes face look fucked up?

Like a fool got punched in the face then had a stroke shortly after.

ESmorz
06-03-2008, 11:05 PM
Why does that dudes face look fucked up?

Like a fool got punched in the face then had a stroke shortly after.

He might be kinda "slow"

At least he talks like it.

!Zar!
06-03-2008, 11:07 PM
I thought that's the way all people from NY talk.

:keke:

IIIXziuR
06-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Gotta keep it CRUNK nah mean

06-03-2008, 11:08 PM
he just seems so excited that he doesn't know what to do with himself.

powersteeringless180sx
06-03-2008, 11:10 PM
that's some sorry shit...

ESmorz
06-03-2008, 11:11 PM
he just seems so excited that he doesn't know what to do with himself.

Yeah, I was like this guy sounds like he just found Jesus' head in a duffel bag or something.

O3DigitalBath
06-03-2008, 11:18 PM
this is pretty funny but most "pop" music today I hear seems to be something else ripped off and sampled anyway...this is a bit funny since he "ripped off" demo beats from such a low level software title.

06-03-2008, 11:27 PM
yes, just like these two beats.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=l1ycRFd3_Gc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cQf5poAK4s0

LongGrain
06-03-2008, 11:31 PM
yea, soulja boy beats can be made in like 1 second on any music making program.

kyoru
06-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Wow usher got owned haha

JeremyR
06-03-2008, 11:38 PM
peanut butter jelly vid makes me wanna put duece dueces on my 240! :D

MikeisNissan
06-03-2008, 11:44 PM
I stopped listenin to rap after 05'

JeremyR
06-03-2008, 11:55 PM
the mainstream stuff (the stuff in these video) is pretty generic and bad..but alot of underground hip hop has good, original beats, and well thought out lyrics...

ESmorz
06-03-2008, 11:56 PM
I stopped listenin to rap after 05'

Usher is far from Rap...

06-03-2008, 11:59 PM
his new CD is actually really good.

TiNMAN
06-04-2008, 12:02 AM
^its mostly sexytime music

06-04-2008, 12:03 AM
^hence really good

Bubbles
06-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Anything Usher related gives me a big rubbery one.

ESmorz
06-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Usher... will never be really good.

It's just pop. It has no soul. It's made on garage band for god sake.

TiNMAN
06-04-2008, 12:13 AM
hehe :p

06-04-2008, 12:15 AM
well i'm pretty sure usher didn't know that it was made on garage band.

and regardless. he's made of money.
and he's been around for a while.

ESmorz
06-04-2008, 12:16 AM
well i'm pretty sure usher didn't know that it was made on garage band.

and regardless. he's made of money.
and he's been around for a while.

Well maybe if he was really talented he would make his own beats, and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

:D

JeremyR
06-04-2008, 12:17 AM
exactly, most of the artists probably dont ask (or dont care) where it was sampled from or whatever, they assume the person they paid to write it (the producer) actually wrote it. but hey more power to them, im not one to knock a guys hustle.

06-04-2008, 12:19 AM
it's not his job to make the beats.

if producers were really talented they would be singing over their own beats and working out every day to get that 6pack.

mmm. 6pack.

but nope that's not how it works.

ESmorz
06-04-2008, 12:24 AM
it's not his job to make the beats.

if producers were really talented they would be singing over their own beats and working out every day to get that 6pack.

mmm. 6pack.

but nope that's not how it works.

I make beats with real instruments and I sing to them.

So suck on that.

Do I sound like a pre-pubescent black man? No. But, still.

06-04-2008, 12:25 AM
then why aren't you loaded?

drift freaq
06-04-2008, 12:25 AM
Ok heres the deal. I use Logic. I could write a song in Garageband easily. Why? I know how to write music. Anyone that is good at writing music could write some good stuff in Garage Band. Though Garage Band does make it easier for less than talented people to make music as well because its sample based. Acid is the same way. As is Live by Abelton and a few other programs. Now if you really suck in putting musical ideas together you will do shitty in any of those programs. Though there are a lot of DJ's that do not know how to write music traditionally that have put out records and CD's using Acid and Live.
Oh and as far as sampling goes, Artists are concerned about were the samples come from! If the samples are not cleared, they will get sued for Royalties for using them. It can and does happen all the time.

ESmorz
06-04-2008, 12:27 AM
then why aren't you loaded?

Cause I'm 17 years old and I really don't want to make music a career of any sorts. It's my hobby. It's just for funzies. I'm not uber talented or anything. I can play the drums like nobodies business, some shit on the guitar, and I can sing. Probably because I don't have the drive to make it a business. If I did I'm afraid my love for it would die.

06-04-2008, 12:29 AM
let us listen to something you've done
and i'll tell you why you're not loaded.

Bubbles
06-04-2008, 12:31 AM
No you don't get it.

He CHOOSES not to be loaded.

06-04-2008, 12:32 AM

i wish i could choose not to want to be loaded.

JeremyR
06-04-2008, 12:34 AM

owned!

im sure timbaland could make up a beat thats 100% legit not sampled, im sure alot of people could. alot of people do. but timbaland goes that extra step to get noticed to be scene to get his stuff out there, dr. dre has done the EXACT same thing on alot of his songs (nuthin but a g thang)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzUBh1eK2kE

these guys got lucky and mad a living off it, dont be bitter, you woulda done the same thing.

downshift_sideways
06-04-2008, 12:35 AM
crazy shit.

Usher's new shit is pretty saucy in bed homies.

ESmorz
06-04-2008, 12:37 AM

i wish i could choose not to want to be loaded.

That just sounds dirty.

I'm not saying Usher isn't a talented singer, and undoubtedly better than me.

I'm just saying he's not really a musician... especially if you have to pay other people to make your music, that's just weak. Yes, the voice is an "instrument" but he would be nothing without beats. Imagine an a capella usher album. lolz

I'm also not saying I choose not to be loaded. I'm just saying I am a musician. It's a hobby nothing more. There's a million and one people out there who can do what he does and what I do but only some get lucky and make it. So that's why I choose not to try my hand at making music a business.

downshift_sideways
06-04-2008, 12:38 AM
I'm getting into making beats.

I got some shit at my hut on my comp.

If any of you peeps ever roll through...I'll smoke you out and we can slap some beats.

cuz thatswhatsup.

LocalStreetHero
06-04-2008, 12:39 AM
lol i made the soulja gay boy beat on FL studio the first day i had the program. I didn't even know what i was doin. hella simple. creativity is becoming a rare thing now. well, for commercial music that is.

JeremyR
06-04-2008, 12:40 AM
ushers writes his own shit right? its pretty commonplace for rap/hiphop/r&b artists to write the lyrics, but not produce the beat.

now if he pulled a britney spears, and had someone else produce the actual music, AND lyrics, and was just there to be the nice voice and eye candy, thatsa different story

!Zar!
06-04-2008, 01:09 AM
Lord knows Kanye West comes up with all his beats...

I mean wtf people.

When you listen to the song, it's more than the beat.

A good artist could make a shit beat sound like fire.

You can hate all you want and claim you could do better than X singer.

But in the end, you are still living in your mom's basement and whatnot while the singer is continuing what they do.

"Real musicians do all their own shit themselves." Fuck that. Stop trying to make this what it isn't.

Dude found a beat, he's happy, END.

06-04-2008, 01:11 AM
kanye west is also an asshole.
but i love him. i think he earned his right to be. :]

ESmorz
06-04-2008, 01:11 AM
If any of you peeps ever roll through...I'll smoke you out and we can slap some beats.

cuz thatswhatsup.

I'll bring my travel kit and a mixer lol

JeremyR
06-04-2008, 01:13 AM
yeahhhhh true... he's overated but he did what he had to do to get where he is

06-04-2008, 01:14 AM

i'll bring the mpc!

!Zar!
kanye west is also an asshole.
but i love him. i think he earned his right to be. :]

So if I become rich I can tell you to go fuck yourself and you wouldn't be mad?

You know, for conversations sake.

So if I become rich I can tell you to go fuck yourself and you wouldn't be mad?

You know, for conversations sake.

nope. i'd think you were hot too.

!Zar!
06-04-2008, 01:19 AM
Oh.

In that case.

Go fuck yourself.

=)

<3

but you're not rich.

ESmorz
That was cute.

You could cut the sexual tension like buuuuuuuuttttta

!Zar!
06-04-2008, 01:20 AM
<3 .

downshift_sideways
06-04-2008, 01:26 AM
thatswhatsup.
i'll bring the mpc!
sho lil mah.

ESmorz
06-04-2008, 01:32 AM
thatswhatsup.

sho lil mah.

I'm actually gonna be in the bay area this summer.

If I get a free day, I'll let you know whats up haha.

downshift_sideways
06-04-2008, 01:36 AM
not a prob homie.

write down my number. (510)712-9688.

You visiting? or staying at a place for the summer?

-Anthony

ESmorz
06-04-2008, 01:41 AM
not a prob homie.

write down my number. (510)712-9688.

You visiting? or staying at a place for the summer?

-Anthony

Visiting an old friend and a beezy. Then... iunno haha.

Will do man.

Baka Sama
06-04-2008, 01:45 AM
ushers writes his own shit right? its pretty commonplace for rap/hiphop/r&b artists to write the lyrics, but not produce the beat.

now if he pulled a britney spears, and had someone else produce the actual music, AND lyrics, and was just there to be the nice voice and eye candy, thatsa different story

No usher does not wite his own music. I knew someone that sold lyrics to usher back in 04'. He made like 5k off of it.

Usher is the black britney spears.

JeremyR
06-04-2008, 01:49 AM
damn in that case then i just lost respect for the guy...so much bullshit and politics in music these days...

Phlip
06-04-2008, 01:56 AM
Ok heres the deal. I use Logic. I could write a song in Garageband easily. Why? I know how to write music. Anyone that is good at writing music could write some good stuff in Garage Band. Though Garage Band does make it easier for less than talented people to make music as well because its sample based. Acid is the same way. As is Live by Abelton and a few other programs. Now if you really suck in putting musical ideas together you will do shitty in any of those programs. Though there are a lot of DJ's that do not know how to write music traditionally that have put out records and CD's using Acid and Live.
Oh and as far as sampling goes, Artists are concerned about were the samples come from! If the samples are not cleared, they will get sued for Royalties for using them. It can and does happen all the time.
Jerk, I LOVE Ableton Live.
I also happen to love FL Studio when I need drums like NOW.
I also love Cakewalk's Project 5 and Sonar 4 (yes, I know I have old versions).
I also kinda like sony soundforge.
At the end of the day, good music is good music, it matters not where the beat came from, and using the tools I have at hand, I can make the sound I want to present take place, I am more than happy with that. I spend major time looking for sound banks and kits from older/other drum machines. The only difference is that I do not have to lay out THOUSANDS every time I want new shit.
Funny thing, too, is someone mentioned the MPC, which is ALSO a sample-based sequencer... Sorry, I will keep my computer.
lol i made the soulja gay boy beat on FL studio the first day i had the program. I didn't even know what i was doin. hella simple. creativity is becoming a rare thing now. well, for commercial music that is.
Hell, he did too...
Want to see the GOOD of what can come out of FL Studio? Look up 9th Wonder (http://www.myspace.com/9thwondermusic) and Khrysis (http://www.myspace.com/khrysisbeats).

infinitexsound
06-04-2008, 04:10 AM
no one does it better then J Dilla...............RIP Usher's new album is dope... Usher and JT, is like when Michael Jackson is split into two different ppl.. like a doppleganger

JeremyR
06-04-2008, 04:19 AM
j dilla was one of the best! rip

stiizy
06-04-2008, 08:54 AM
This is the same kind of shit Swizz beatz got sued over for dmx's ruff ryders anthem which all of the loops were preloaded from casio on one of their keyboards...

exitspeed
06-04-2008, 09:11 AM
I personally think the idea of Love in this Club is disgusting because I know it's based on the reality that this happens.

I lost a lof of respect for Usher because I thought he was more "grown folks" music then this juvenile BS.

txrxs
06-04-2008, 09:44 AM
I personally think the idea of Love in this Club is disgusting because I know it's based on the reality that this happens.

I lost a lof of respect for Usher because I thought he was more "grown folks" music then this juvenile BS.

Lol, I think the same thing every time I hear this song. I get this vivid imagery of gross sweaty people boning on a packed dance floor.

You gotta think with him being 30 that it most likely crossed his mind in the booth "what the fuck am I singing about." I'm sure his bank statement helps him sleep nice and sound though.

ByeByeSti
06-04-2008, 09:44 AM
wow lets just say... usher got bent over n fucked with no mercy haha

if the kid who looks and sounds like that, can put together his song in no time with garageband.... idk what to say ha

s13poop
06-04-2008, 11:15 AM
LOL i don't think usher got bent over in anyway

yea maybe it happend to be the same sample from garage band but it doesn't matter he has the #1 album right now

usher has had stuff written for him since he was 13? correct me if i'm wrong but p. diddy produced for the first years of his music career and thats when people didn't agree with a boy that young singing songs about makin love :keke:

i don't think he made it big til "you make me wanna" which is one of my favorite songs from him but even then it was co-wrote by jermaine dupri but yeah i'm pretty sure most of his early stuff was written for him until he was an adult and has real stuff to write about ie: "confession"

oh btw some good producers in the business:

-timbaland
-kool and dre
-J.r rodem
-some scott stortch stuff :/
-ne yo
-jdilla R.I.P
-Dr Dre

i have more and those aren't even the most original proudcers just those are the most you'd be familiar with

stiizy
06-04-2008, 11:18 AM
^^ whoa whoa you forgot about nice and slow i'll still bump shit till today..but you're right

nastynate805
06-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Lol the dude in the video looks like a white kanye west.:keke:

exitspeed
06-04-2008, 12:16 PM
-timbaland
-kool and dre
-J.r rodem
-ne yo
-jdilla R.I.P
-Dr Dre

You forgot NERD and Pharell, Kanye West and, also Mannie Fresh.

stiizy
06-04-2008, 12:17 PM

How could you forget pharrell (my inspiration):aw:

kyoru
06-04-2008, 12:26 PM
slow jam was awesome when it came out, or maybe I'm a sappy mofo

CAPoweredS14
06-04-2008, 12:31 PM
I know the topic is Usher and stolen beats. But to go back to the simplicity of beats and how they are all just button mashing with no person actually skilled in an instrument, I gotta say if there was real instruments in hip-hop/rap/R&B I might be able to tolerate it when someone blares it on the street.

I absolutely cannot stand soulja boy. I can't stand the song, the voice, and music, the idea, etc. I get pissed when I hear about it. I'm actually angry that it was posted about. I'm a musician and I feel insulted that someone with no talent can "make beats" and get awards for it.

Now my point is that the song blows dog balls but after hearing Travis Barker play drums to it, sonofabish if I didn't start liking it.

exitspeed
06-04-2008, 12:53 PM
^
Only these young dumb ass kids like Soulja Boy. I do not understand why, but they do.

s13poop
06-04-2008, 12:55 PM

hahahaha i know i know!

thats why i put the disclaimer on the bottom of my post those were just at off the top

goddamn mel whats up with you, me and the hip hop game??

looks like we both (as quoted from the game) "Got Hip-Hop on lock like some muh'fuckin pliers" :keke:

How could you forget pharrell (my inspiration):aw:

pharrell is cool not too big on his solo stuff but i have much respect :bigok:

Phlip
06-04-2008, 01:04 PM
I know the topic is Usher and stolen beats. But to go back to the simplicity of beats and how they are all just button mashing with no person actually skilled in an instrument, I gotta say if there was real instruments in hip-hop/rap/R&B I might be able to tolerate it when someone blares it on the street.

I absolutely cannot stand soulja boy. I can't stand the song, the voice, and music, the idea, etc. I get pissed when I hear about it. I'm actually angry that it was posted about. I'm a musician and I feel insulted that someone with no talent can "make beats" and get awards for it.

Now my point is that the song blows dog balls but after hearing Travis Barker play drums to it, sonofabish if I didn't start liking it.

Let us all say that we're all glad that you don't make the rules, seeing as how if it was all just a bunch of "button mashing" as you've so graciously described through closed eyes/ears and narrow-minded, then a LEGEND in music, Herbie Hancock's body of work would be rendered completely moot, and no one would have one album of the year at this years Grammy awards...
You can take all you know, all of your self-righteous knowledge and assume that nothing good can come with the advantage of technological advances, and I will happily invite you to build a fucking time machine and go back in time and stay there.

exitspeed
06-04-2008, 01:04 PM
NERD's first album is absolute pure genius.

stiizy
06-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Let us all say that we're all glad that you don't make the rules, seeing as how if it was all just a bunch of "button mashing" as you've so graciously described through closed eyes/ears and narrow-minded, then a LEGEND in music, Herbie Hancock's body of work would be rendered completely moot, and no one would have one album of the year at this years Grammy awards...
You can take all you know, all of your self-righteous knowledge and assume that nothing good can come with the advantage of technological advances, and I will happily invite you to build a fucking time machine and go back in time and stay there.

Damn angry are we??

i mean i play a few instruments but i'm nastier on my comp keyboard and drum machine:ugh::ugh:

slidingsky
06-04-2008, 01:40 PM

AND 3 million ring tones.

As far as I see it he's 16 and a self made multi-millionare. Good for him.

Matej
06-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Polow Da Don is such a cheeezy name, what a joke haha.
Saw this a while ago, that dude must've smoked a forest of ganja right before making the video.

Why is every other R&B song about "the club"? All I hear on the radio is rolling to the club, drinking in the club, dancing in the club, and etc. R&B tracks have the most predictable lyrics ever, many times you can tell what they're going to rhyme with the first time you're hearing the song.

Sway500
06-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Although these beats are computer generated, I guarantee when Usher goes on tour it will be a live band playing and it will sound awesome. A little off topic but for those of you who prefer live bands to play with rap/ hip hop songs what do you think about go go music?

Phlip
06-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Damn angry are we??

i mean i play a few instruments but i'm nastier on my comp keyboard and drum machine:ugh::ugh:

Yes, as a matter of fact, I am angered every time someone comes with that bullshit. You play a couple instruments and still see that it is easier to use the software, or a drum machine. That is where I am coming from, and I have played drums since I was 9.
Fact of the matter remains that at the end of the day it matters not how the music was made, just that there was music made. People who sit and want to write shit off because it was made through some means inferior to them piss me off the most.

stiizy
06-04-2008, 02:11 PM
^^ i feel you on that bro music is music, someone made it no matter how shitty it sounds someone still put in the time to create it, as i make beats too it aint easy to make one that doesnt sound like something else, or be a off the wall sick beat

500th post Btw..lol

Matej
06-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Fact of the matter remains that at the end of the day it matters not how the music was made, just that there was music made. People who sit and want to write shit off because it was made through some means inferior to them piss me off the most.
Yeah, it's always funny to me how hardcore vinyl lovers put down other DJ's for making music on the computer.
Times change, vinyl is obsolete and more of a niche than practical now, if someone stands by it that's cool, but it doesn't make them better than others just because they got into it earlier, all that matters is the final product.

drift freaq
06-04-2008, 02:18 PM
LOL i don't think usher got bent over in anyway

yea maybe it happend to be the same sample from garage band but it doesn't matter he has the #1 album right now

usher has had stuff written for him since he was 13? correct me if i'm wrong but p. diddy produced for the first years of his music career and thats when people didn't agree with a boy that young singing songs about makin love :keke:

i don't think he made it big til "you make me wanna" which is one of my favorite songs from him but even then it was co-wrote by jermaine dupri but yeah i'm pretty sure most of his early stuff was written for him until he was an adult and has real stuff to write about ie: "confession"

oh btw some good producers in the business:

-timbaland
-kool and dre
-J.r rodem
-ne yo
-jdilla R.I.P
-Dr Dre

i have more and those aren't even the most original proudcers just those are the most you'd be familiar with

I don't know about those other producers but Dr Dre pays people like me to come in to the studio and produce stuff on a for hire basis. We get paid and kicked out the door and he takes credit. How do I know this? I was offered a gig to do it. :D Did I take it? No at the time I did not want to give my material away for the sake of $35-50 an hour.

stiizy
06-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Yeah, it's always funny to me how hardcore vinyl lovers put down other DJ's for making music on the computer.
Times change, vinyl is obsolete and more of a niche than practical now, if someone stands by it that's cool, but it doesn't make them better than others just because they got into it earlier, all that matters is the final product.

very true..

look at Tiesto, BT, Armin VB, PVD, i can go on but i feel what you are saying if we're on the same page these are some of the greatest DJ's in the world!!

lflkajfj12123
06-04-2008, 02:22 PM
don't put daft punk and those other artists in the same sentence

and 1337 is a slut

stiizy
06-04-2008, 02:24 PM

and 1337 is a slut

whoa whoa i know they sample but they are masterminds at what they do and their original shit is hot but for the sake of arguement i'll take'em out for you soap!!

Bobafreak
06-04-2008, 02:27 PM
im not hating if polow did use that then hey less work for him but major ends on his plate. Im gonna get some plates and 3 buckets and make some beats for him next.

and 1337 is a slut

Hahahaha omg woooooo! s0ap!

06-04-2008, 02:27 PM
money over bitches.

Bobafreak
06-04-2008, 02:29 PM
very true..

look at Tiesto, BT, Armin VB, PVD, i can go on but i feel what you are saying if we're on the same page these are some of the greatest DJ's in the world!!

ummmmm i wont say great. There alright just over hyped. Big fan of van buuren. Those djs just put out alot of work around the globe. Nonstop touring and producing as they go to the next show. I just dont see how they concentrate and get all the elements they create while going. Ohh you forgot blank and jones!

quoted by snoop for truthness. "R&B rappin bullshit"
But then again didnt he make sexual seduction? >_< bwahahaha fake ass biaaatch!

drift freaq
06-04-2008, 02:32 PM

I.

Ok this is just pure ignorance. First off a person cannot just step up to a sampler/drum machine or computer and just program good beats. It actually takes musical timing skill and practice. Just like I stated earlier, whether using a sample based program or creating your own samples or programming beats it does take musical timing and skill. On top of that there are real instruments in hip hop and rap. If you think a sampled instrument is not real your just a dumb ass. A sampled instrument is a sample of real instrument. If I play a bass line and then record it to digital audio it is essence a sample. If I loop it in a verse so I can write other stuff on top it still does not change the fact that the sound came from a real instrument. In R&B and hip hop they use a lot of samples of real instruments whether it be a lifted riff from a classic hit or something they wrote themselves. I am not saying the current R&B and hip hop scene is that good from a musical standpoint in fact I think a lot of it is crap. Though if your going to comment on it with statements like you wrote above you just look like ignorant and biased.

Oh and for the person that said this music or any music is computer generated your an idiot. Computer generated music sounds quite odd.

Most of this music is composed on a Sequencer or sampling workstation using software that operates on a computer. It is created by a human operating the program not the computer. The program and the computer are compositional tools. They do not generate the music.

gabe30
06-04-2008, 02:38 PM
people stealing beats.. this is news?

stiizy
06-04-2008, 02:40 PM
i'll stick to the people who do everything themselves write produce mix all their own shit some of it maybe wack but i give them respect.

The Dream-good R&B shit<- very talented write alot of shit for people and wrote half of ushers album my girl saw him last week at a listening party and he said so

Ryan Leslie- I think he does good and i liked cassies album

Cheka- Reggaeton i give him alot of credit

Kanye West- Indescribable

Pharrell- I just love him

Ne-Yo- is just plain talent

There are more i just like these ones particular

Bobafreak
06-04-2008, 02:43 PM
i hate the dream his voice.
havent heard of leslie
kanye-woooooo fire lyrical wise to me
pharrell-Makes dope beats but when it comes to nerd or solo album why is that shit garbage? he gets everyone else multi millions but he gets potatoe sacks.

BustedS13
06-04-2008, 02:55 PM
gotta sell the ringtone son

i'm actually working on a song right now with a buddy of mine called "buy the ringtone", expect it to drop in a couple weeks on youtube, i'mma be famous

Phlip
06-04-2008, 02:57 PM
people stealing beats.. this is news?

The initial issue at hand is not a stolen beat, rather that there was a computer program that is supposedly simple and presents music through a series of sampled sounds, some elitists call that "cheating," but the fact of the matter remains that it is nothing new, even for producers who DO use drum machines dating all the way back to the first Linn machines (later to become the MPC).

JeremyR
06-04-2008, 04:28 PM
yeah i mean when it comes down to it.. technically you can say love in this club was "sampled" since someone actually did write the sound clips, threw em in garageband, and then a producer, who samples shit ANYWAY, found them and used them. nothing new that hasnt been done before, so i dont see why people get bent out of shape about it. sampling has been a part of hip hop since the beginning...

Bobafreak
06-04-2008, 05:18 PM
all i gotta say is.

BASS!

A Spec Products
06-04-2008, 05:24 PM
all i gotta say is.

BASS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bALk1POlEKU

DJ MAGIC MIKE SON

Feel The Bass II!

All you real heads know whats up with DJ Magic Mike

Mad old school

For all the dudes back in the day with the Alpine tape deck HU with the JL Audio W1's!

S13Boosts
06-04-2008, 05:28 PM

and 1337 is a slut

hahhahahahha that was funny i saw the word SLUT LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bALk1POlEKU

DJ MAGIC MIKE SON

Feel The Bass II!

All you real heads know whats up with DJ Magic Mike

Mad old school

For all the dudes back in the day with the Alpine tape deck HU with the JL Audio W1's!

thats wassup.....

but ANYWHOO who cares man its a damn song...

ESmorz
06-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Yes, as a matter of fact, I am angered every time someone comes with that bullshit. You play a couple instruments and still see that it is easier to use the software, or a drum machine. That is where I am coming from, and I have played drums since I was 9.

This much is true. Making music through "button mashing" is fun and can make some really bad ass tunage with it.

I just have a problem with people don't play instruments, don't make there own beats, and don't even write there own lyrics. They are just a studio whore with a pretty voice. Then they get praised as like the best "musicians" of the year... shits retarded.

kdashy
06-04-2008, 05:33 PM
As interesting as the actual subject was the way the guy talked is extremely anoyying.

JeremyR
06-04-2008, 05:36 PM
yeah he seems to be completely blown away

Bobafreak
06-04-2008, 05:55 PM
i was blown away.

infinitexsound
06-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Soulja Boy blah... Superman that Hoe* once i found out what superman'n was... i had to stop myself from laughing so much... what will come up next... I've heard of the spiderman.... thats just as bad...

slidingsky
06-04-2008, 08:07 PM
The Dream-good R&B shit<- very talented write alot of shit for people and wrote half of ushers album my girl saw him last week at a listening party and he said so

Kanye West- Indescribable

Ne-Yo- is just plain talent

Listening to Dream right now...

You said it perfectly.

Soulja Boy blah... Superman that Hoe* once i found out what superman'n was... i had to stop myself from laughing so much... what will come up next... I've heard of the spiderman.... thats just as bad...

Yeah it's kind of like Dave Chappelle when he was talking about The Ying Yang Twins "ah skeet skeet"

Alot of people still don't know what "superman" means

SlideWell
06-04-2008, 08:16 PM
yeah, theres reasons why i still only listen to good shit that was made 10+ years ago

Mi Beardo es Loco
06-04-2008, 08:34 PM
yes, just like these two beats.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=l1ycRFd3_Gc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cQf5poAK4s0

uhhhhh......those suck.

That's why I've lost total faith in all popular hip hop music. It's full of self-aggrandizement and only appeals to kids and women. If you honestly bump this shit there has to be something wrong with you, seriously. I never heard Led Zepplin mention Led Zepplin in a song even once. That's how low the music industry has gotten.

Mi Beardo es Loco
06-04-2008, 08:41 PM
i hate the dream his voice.
havent heard of leslie
kanye-woooooo fire lyrical wise to me
pharrell-Makes dope beats but when it comes to nerd or solo album why is that shit garbage? he gets everyone else multi millions but he gets potatoe sacks.

I really disagree with that. I like the original N.E.R.D. cd. The one with rockstar and provider, that was the shit. Ii really just don't like the shit he makes for everyone else because I like HIS taste in music and when he makes beats for other people it usually is to please the general public.

MikeisNissan
06-04-2008, 08:51 PM
The title of this thread should be: love in this club was made of garbage.

Bubbles
06-04-2008, 08:57 PM
uhhhhh......those suck.

That's why I've lost total faith in all popular hip hop music. It's full of self-aggrandizement and only appeals to kids and women. If you honestly bump this shit there has to be something wrong with you, seriously. I never heard Led Zepplin mention Led Zepplin in a song even once. That's how low the music industry has gotten.

Did you just relate 'popular hip hop music' to Led Zeppelin?

This is the only acceptable usage:

Some random psycho tied me down and forced me to listen popular hip hop music and right before I was going to suffocate myself and end my life Led Zeppelin came on and saved my life.

Bubbles
06-04-2008, 08:58 PM
BTW

Bitches ain't shit.

JVD
06-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Get off Ushers sack already. He's cool... to like twelve year old girls(just the way I like em. hahaha). You don't think Usher knew about the garage band beat? How do you know? I love how chicks are always like "oh no, *insert famous person's name here* would never do that"

Do you know him personally? No.

There's tons of amazingly talented musicians out there that never get the big break. It's a little bit of luck. Not everyone can be famous. Stop ripping on some kid who says he makes his own music. That's pretty bad ass IMO.

And ya, Usher isn't terrible. Not like I'd buy his CD though. I'll just pirate his music. He's got more money than me. Seems fair.

infinitexsound
06-04-2008, 10:29 PM
uhhhhh......those suck.

u got ur genre all mixed up, hip-hop is a culture... rap is what souljah boy is... souljah boy doesn't promote positive culture... the least...most of the stuff you see on Mtv is major pop culture rap anyhow...

What do u guys think should i start spinning again...? havent done it since high school... procrastinating of purchasing a technics setup and final cut...

maybe i can be a millionaire with one song.. one song is all i ask...then i can retire in thailand..

CAPoweredS14
06-04-2008, 10:53 PM
^
Only these young dumb ass kids like Soulja Boy. I do not understand why, but they do.
Only narrow-minded illiterate kids take that as me liking him.

I won't say that nothing good came of electronic sounds. Notice how I didn't say music. Get pissy all you want with your long run-on sentences thats fine too. Point is, did we forget all the great MUSIC that was made before the digital age? Pretty sure those are real legends. I understand that some people make top selling records with this drum pad but as another poster said, listening to it live with live musicians makes it helluvalot better.
AND 3 million ring tones.

As far as I see it he's 16 and a self made multi-millionare. Good for him.
Your right, I'm not hating on the fact that he won and has scored money. I just wish I aimed low instead of learning an instrument and took my memorization of Contra's code and other console codes and turned that into beat making. With half a brain I could make something catchy enough to keep some people's minds on here occupied long enough to buy a record.
Although these beats are computer generated, I guarantee when Usher goes on tour it will be a live band playing and it will sound awesome. I saw someone that had a DVD of one of his concerts and "You got it bad" came up and I watched the entire song. That was a really well played and arranged song. For that same reason I have only live versions of some hip hop songs so I can hear real instruments.

Fact of the matter remains that at the end of the day it matters not how the music was made, just that there was music made. People who sit and want to write shit off because it was made through some means inferior to them piss me off the most. What kind of keyboard did you write this on? Was it wireless? If so, I don't like it because if it wasn't wired, I don't care about it. I've been typing since I was 9 and I've used a real wired keyboard so it does matter if your message was typed with a new fancy wireless keyboard.

^^ i feel you on that bro music is music, someone made it no matter how shitty it sounds someone still put in the time to create it, as i make beats too it aint easy to make one that doesnt sound like something else, or be a off the wall sick beat

500th post Btw..lol

If you can count time you'll notice how many of them sound the same. There's only so many ways to press a button.

CAPoweredS14
06-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Ok this is just pure ignorance. First off a person cannot just step up to a sampler/drum machine or computer and just program good beats. It actually takes musical timing skill and practice. Just like I stated earlier, whether using a sample based program or creating your own samples or programming beats it does take musical timing and skill. On top of that there are real instruments in hip hop and rap. If you think a sampled instrument is not real your just a dumb ass. A sampled instrument is a sample of real instrument. If I play a bass line and then record it to digital audio it is essence a sample. If I loop it in a verse so I can write other stuff on top it still does not change the fact that the sound came from a real instrument. In R&B and hip hop they use a lot of samples of real instruments whether it be a lifted riff from a classic hit or something they wrote themselves. I am not saying the current R&B and hip hop scene is that good from a musical standpoint in fact I think a lot of it is crap. Though if your going to comment on it with statements like you wrote above you just look like ignorant and biased.

If you think drum machines take skill your a dumbass, end of discussion. If you record on any one of those programs you get a click track to use to keep time. Four year olds play guitar hero and own, same concept. Get serious man, I'm wondering if you've even been in a studio to see the process or be a part in it. Not putting you down on that, just saying if you have, you wouldn't spout ignorance. I've recorded, help record, and made background sounds for my guitar riffs and such. And it takes longer to wipe my ass than make a background track of simulated instruments. I know it was recorded from real life, but when you press a button and can make a pinch harmonic that actually takes precision, your not doing anything special.

!Zar!
06-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Oh wow...

And...

Wait for it...

drift freaq
06-04-2008, 11:14 PM
If you think drum machines take skill your a dumbass, end of discussion. If you record on any one of those programs you get a click track to use to keep time. Four year olds play guitar hero and own, same concept. Get serious man, I'm wondering if you've even been in a studio to see the process or be a part in it. Not putting you down on that, just saying if you have, you wouldn't spout ignorance. I've recorded, help record, and made background sounds for my guitar riffs and such. And it takes longer to wipe my ass than make a background track of simulated instruments. I know it was recorded from real life, but when you press a button and can make a pinch harmonic that actually takes precision, your not doing anything special.
Listen you little insolent punk I was making music when you were in diapers. I don't use a click track and you talk like stupid ignorant rock and country music boys. I studied Piano as a child, I am a trained sound engineer( certificate in Pro Tools from Digidesign as well) and producer and have worked in many studios. Your above statements show your technologically ignorant.
The fact that you think I am spouting ignorance shows me you have a complete lack of understanding of the engineering process. Plus a less than rudimentary knowledge of the recording process. Besides telling a engineer to push start on the tape machine or the space bar of digital audio work station. I suggest you shut the fuck up before you dig your hole any deeper.

Oh and a four year old playing guitar hero could not even step close and the fact that you made that statement shows your the ignorant one.

Oh and I should add keeping time is a skill and anyone worth a damn programming a MPC knows how to keep time.

P.S. At the last Society of Composers meeting I chose to attend a majority of film composers were using Logic and Pro Tools oh but they would not know how to write. Hans Zimmer would not know how to write. BT would not know how to write. Hmmm they score films and I can gurantee you they are very well trained musicians and they use samplers. drum machines and lots of other things and BT was a graduate of Berkeley school of Music.

infinitexsound
06-04-2008, 11:17 PM
violence on zilvia... beats the hills any daymn day....this is great.... ehehhehe

the come back follows

!Zar!
06-04-2008, 11:19 PM
Ahh...

There we go.

<3 you Davie.

ESmorz
06-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Listen you little insolent punk I was making music when you were in diapers. I don't use a click track and you talk like stupid ignorant rock and country music boys. I studied Piano as a child, I am a trained sound engineer( certificate in Pro Tools from Digidesign as well) and producer and have worked in many studios. Your above statements show your technologically ignorant.
The fact that you think I am spouting ignorance shows me you like a complete lack of understanding of the engineering process. Plus a less than rudimentary knowledge of the recording process. Besides telling a engineer to push start on the tape machine or the space bar of digital audio work station. I suggest you shut the fuck up before you dig your hole any deeper.

Oh and a four year playing guitar hero could not even step close and the fact that you made that statement shows your the ignorant one.

The owned hammer came down.

...and I loved it.

CAPoweredS14
06-04-2008, 11:35 PM
The fact that you think I am spouting ignorance shows me you have a complete lack of understanding of the engineering process. Plus a less than rudimentary knowledge of the recording process. Besides telling a engineer to push start on the tape machine or the space bar of digital audio work station. I suggest you shut the fuck up before you dig your hole any deeper.

Oh and a four year old playing guitar hero could not even step close and the fact that you made that statement shows your the ignorant one.

Oh and I should add keeping time is a skill and anyone worth a damn programming a MPC knows how to keep time.
This can go back and forth because I could easily say, "You thinking I'm thinking your ignorant shows your ignorance." But that would take it where you want and thats a bit childish so I'll just say I was calling people insolent before you found your dick. Does that change things or even begin to understand someone else's point of view in a discussion? No. When you are in a conversation do you get high and mighty when someone disagrees? Again, no. Because you were so quick so start really talking shit I see that internet posts are easy for you to get away with things that normally would only be pipe dreams in the real world.

But I'll end it all by saying that I was wrong in assuming other people had the capacity to see someone else's point of view and when it comes to music, and just plain and simple logic. I'll go back to pressing the space bar and record the next big ringtone so I can buy those Weds wheels I want so bad... Now I've found out how to get ahead, you should give up your degrees and certs and just press the comma button too once in a awhile. Maybe you wouldn't have so many run-ons..

kdashy
06-04-2008, 11:40 PM
violence on zilvia... beats the hills any daymn day....this is great.... ehehhehe

Bullshit, will Heidi finally get married to Spencer?!?!

AHHHHHH

drift freaq
06-04-2008, 11:46 PM
This can go back and forth because I could easily say, "You thinking I'm thinking your ignorant shows your ignorance." But that would take it where you want and thats a bit childish so I'll just say I was calling people insolent before you found your dick. Does that change things or even begin to understand someone else's point of view in a discussion? No. When you are in a conversation do you get high and mighty when someone disagrees? Again, no. Because you were so quick so start really talking shit I see that internet posts are easy for you to get away with things that normally would only be pipe dreams in the real world.

But I'll end it all by saying that I was wrong in assuming other people had the capacity to see someone else's point of view and when it comes to music, and just plain and simple logic. I'll go back to pressing the space bar and record the next big ringtone so I can buy those Weds wheels I want so bad... Now I've found out how to get ahead, you should give up your degrees and certs and just press the comma button too once in a awhile. Maybe you wouldn't have so many run-ons..

Your point of view is to call everything done outside your realm of comprehension untalented and not music. I came at you because you spoke in ignorance of technology. I am not thinking you think I am ignorant. You basically called me ignorant.

I have nearly 20 years on you young man and you speak like a cock sure foolish young child.
I ripped you a new ass because you had it coming. The only come back you could try to come back with, was to comment on a few missed punctuation marks.
Also trying to call me childish, when your the one acting childish.
I know many guitar players, that are more talented than you could ever wish to be and they do not shun technology like you do.

Oh and its not so much understanding your point of view, I completely understand it. Its rooted in shear ignorance of Music Technology, in its current state. Its right out of the eary 70's and to be honest, only hicks usually talk that way. Oh shit, sorry your from Texas, I guess that explains it.

!Zar!
06-04-2008, 11:50 PM
http://www.freewebs.com/gameloversunite/owned.bmp

MikeisNissan
06-04-2008, 11:53 PM
coldddd blooooooded!

240love^_^
06-04-2008, 11:58 PM
Ooohh man.
:drama: :drama: :drama:

lflkajfj12123
06-05-2008, 12:16 AM
if you kiss boys, you won't get chapped lips -womenbeshoppin

Mi Beardo es Loco
06-05-2008, 12:21 AM
is this REALLY what rap has turned into?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V5ULgq2-_cM

MikeisNissan
06-05-2008, 12:25 AM
what the fuck is that ^

MikeisNissan
06-05-2008, 12:26 AM
what the fuck Jordans is it wearing..

Mi Beardo es Loco
06-05-2008, 12:29 AM
u got ur genre all mixed up, hip-hop is a culture... rap is what souljah boy is... souljah boy doesn't promote positive culture... the least...most of the stuff you see on Mtv is major pop culture rap anyhow...

What do u guys think should i start spinning again...? havent done it since high school... procrastinating of purchasing a technics setup and final cut...

maybe i can be a millionaire with one song.. one song is all i ask...then i can retire in thailand..

Rap as a genre is kind of a dying breed. There's not very many real rappers out there anymore. I was listening to my Sirius and Soulja Boy was going on and on about how he's promoting hip hop lifestyle through his music. Some of these fucks actually think that they are on the same level as Common and Blackstar. The host even said hip hop evolved....lol. I then changed the channel because it was making me sick. We serioulsy need to create a name for that type of music so they don't try to group themselves in with the legends.

Mi Beardo es Loco
06-05-2008, 12:29 AM
what the fuck is that ^

he's in the hood man. In the hoooooood.

MikeisNissan
06-05-2008, 12:30 AM
pop messagelength

MikeisNissan
06-05-2008, 12:30 AM
I know he's in the "hood"?!? I'm freaking out man..

S13Boosts
06-05-2008, 12:32 AM

someone shoot that guy:down:

Mi Beardo es Loco
06-05-2008, 12:34 AM
I know he's in the "hood"?!? I'm freaking out man..
seriously man, I don't know why this guys is not an internet PHENOM by now. But he's in the hood man. In the hood.

MikeisNissan
06-05-2008, 12:36 AM
< Needs to buy his cd now. And need to know where he got those fresh J's.

JeremyR
06-05-2008, 12:39 AM
i wanna know which hood he's from, thats the hood i wanna live

MikeisNissan
06-05-2008, 12:41 AM
Did you see those trees in his hood? I haven't seen any trees that potent before..

Mi Beardo es Loco
06-05-2008, 12:53 AM
even the squirrels are in the hoooooooood.

what cracks me up is the green screen shots. lol. in the hood with a sunset view of a Canada sunset in the background. so cheezy.

CAPoweredS14
06-05-2008, 06:50 AM
Your point of view is to call everything done outside your realm of comprehension untalented and not music. I came at you because you spoke in ignorance of technology. I am not thinking you think I am ignorant. You basically called me ignorant.

I have nearly 20 years on you young man and you speak like a cock sure foolish young child.
I ripped you a new ass because you had it coming. The only come back you could try to come back with, was to comment on a few missed punctuation marks.
Also trying to call me childish, when your the one acting childish.
I know many guitar players, that are more talented than you could ever wish to be and they do not shun technology like you do.

Oh and its not so much understanding your point of view, I completely understand it. Its rooted in shear ignorance of Music Technology, in its current state. Its right out of the eary 70's and to be honest, only hicks usually talk that way. Oh shit, sorry your from Texas, I guess that explains it.

Alright old guy. You must need the self esteem boost if you call using big words and bragging about your accomplishments in learning a program. You have absolutely no idea of any of my skills yet you already take stabs at them. I guess the young thundacats like myself that stay rooted and don't rely on tech to help us are giving you worn out dudes a run for your money if you gotta supplement with it. Ignorance of technology? GTFO out with that shit pops, I'm IT at NASA down here in Tejas @ JSC. I routinely maintain the network that holds their ideas, plans, and secrets. NASA gave the average Joe his technology. So already you put your foot in your mouth assuming I was ignorant. I make money and bought a house at 23 years of age with my "ignorance" of technology that Cisco seems to think otherwise. Maybe when it comes to my hobby and feeling that people like Chuck Barry and B.B. King had it right with just using good old skill. Personally I use a digital delay, talk box, loop effects to layer, but I really like a good riff over it all. Some things, I just like to keep it simple.

This pissing match can end whenever you want it to. Unless something here at work goes down, I'm bored for the next 10 hours. Flight freeze doesn't allow us to do much work.

Phlip
06-05-2008, 07:35 AM
This pissing match can end whenever you want it to. Unless something here at work goes down, I'm bored for the next 10 hours. Flight freeze doesn't allow us to do much work.

^^^This pissing match WILL end right now.

... or the whole thread can, I mean you've not done much more than try to assure yourself how much better than everyone else because you don't use a DAW to make your music...

stiizy
06-05-2008, 07:47 AM

yo his dances are fucking funny as hell!! i hope he aint got a deal cause if he does then i need one too..

On another note.. Music is Music if you don't like it.. Don't fucking listen to it plain and simple!!

"And need to know where he got those fresh J's" and i think those are black and white 13's

http://www.individualsole.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/aj13-1.jpg

100 ghetto booty's in the hood!!!lol

just1pepsi
06-05-2008, 07:53 AM
My brothers band mates dad showed up chuck berry on a radio show un in Tulsa back in the day, Chuck refused to play anymore and left. If you wanna hear some old school stuff, check out Jack o' diamonds - John Lee Hooker. They were taken off of original recordings on paper tape, Its just John and his guitar and him stomping his foot for time. Pretty classic stuff. remasted on cd (obviously)

being a half-ass musician, I tend to prefer music played by actual musicians using instruments. I dont care alot for the punch-ins and multi-layering that appears in most mastered material. I guess its just not as honest to me. I think that if you cannot play it live, you shouldnt put it on a record.
All the work that goes into "engineering" a record is substantial, and difficult in its own right though. I respect that process as well, but I believe it is quite a bit different than the actual creation of the art.

Its liken it to that of a painter which paints with a brush and paint on a canvas, then someone comes along w/ a computer, scans it in and uses photoshop to "touch up" the art. Does it really make it "better?"

CAPoweredS14
06-05-2008, 08:01 AM
^^^This pissing match WILL end right now.

... or the whole thread can, I mean you've not done much more than try to assure yourself how much better than everyone else because you don't use a DAW to make your music...

I never said, or meant to put out the idea I was better than everyone. I'm opinionated yes, but so is everyone else on here so I don't see the harm. But post numbers rule and maybe I was over the top. Either way, I like music pure everyone can get over it. I just bought Gavin Rossdale's new album because I liked his old rocker ways and now he's almost 80% digital. I don't dig it as much, but I can cope. I'd still put it in his wife.

My brothers band mates dad showed up chuck berry on a radio show un in Tulsa back in the day, Chuck refused to play anymore and left. If you wanna hear some old school stuff, check out Jack o' diamonds - John Lee Hooker. They were taken off of original recordings on paper tape, Its just John and his guitar and him stomping his foot for time. Pretty classic stuff. remasted on cd (obviously)

being a half-ass musician, I tend to prefer music played by actual musicians using instruments. I dont care alot for the punch-ins and multi-layering that appears in most mastered material. I guess its just not as honest to me. I think that if you cannot play it live, you shouldnt put it on a record.
All the work that goes into "engineering" a record is substantial, and difficult in its own right though. I respect that process as well, but I believe it is quite a bit different than the actual creation of the art.

Its liken it to that of a painter which paints with a brush and paint on a canvas, then someone comes along w/ a computer, scans it in and uses photoshop to "touch up" the art. Does it really make it "better?"

So if I would have said it this way I would have been free of harsh retorts. I completely agree with everything you said. And I'm not saying Chuck Berry is the best, but he did innovate some new style and was among, arguably, the first to start the jam riffs like "Johnny B. Good(e)"

Thanks for giving the Hooker tip, I couldn't for the life of me remember that name and now that you reminded me I also remember T-Bone Walker and his flamboyant ways. I will most certainly use my new technologically advance downloading system to torrent, er I mean download via iTunes, some of that stuff. Thanks man!

Phlip
06-05-2008, 08:08 AM

Valid points, yes... My thing has always been "live and let die," letting people live as they may in hopes they will do the same for me. Shit, I LOVE live music for what I love live music for. It is why Cannonball Adderley made me want to learn drums for when I was young. It is why Miles Davis Freddie Hubbard drove me to a failed attempt to learn the trumpet and Coronet. It is why I own literally hundreds of jazz albums.
Being 3 weeks shy of 29, I have grown up on a steady diet of hip hop, REAL hip hop, most of which comes from rendered sounds from a drum machine or, more recently, Digital Audio Workstations. Outside of drumming in the church when someone else didn't show (it happens more than one would think), I was years out of practice when I decided a couple years ago that I would make beats as a hobby.
Nope, can't write sheet music, don't care to.
Discovered the beautiful ease that happens to be the DAW, I locked myself in the house every hour I was not at work and MADE myself learn Steinberg Cubase without help or a book. All me and my keyboard... Then I got an Akai MPD16 MIDI controller, in order to make my drums a little easier to play in live action...
Then I discovered Ableton Live when I got an M-Audio Axiom 49-key controller, as it had semi-weighted keys and a ton of other features I had learned to need from not having them before.
I am not looking back now, I will still take a seat at the drums when asked, but really have no real desire to stray back to acoustic or instrumented play after going the easy way. Fuck, I don't don't have the time or desire to learn 50 different instruments when all I want is a couple of sounds to make a melody, and DAMNED if I will lock myself in my room to learn to play EVERYTHING I might want to use.

murda-c
06-05-2008, 08:15 AM
You can play it live, all you need is turntables.

Also having learned how to play guitar, making music on a guitar comes just as naturally as playing it on a computer, all you're doing is trying to get whatever you're playing to make a certain sound, and if it sounds good who cares, y'know?

CAPoweredS14
06-05-2008, 08:15 AM
I am not looking back now, I will still take a seat at the drums when asked, but really have no real desire to stray back to acoustic or instrumented play after going the easy way. Fuck, I don't don't have the time or desire to learn 50 different instruments when all I want is a couple of sounds to make a melody, and DAMNED if I will lock myself in my room to learn to play EVERYTHING I might want to use.

But do you get the same satisfaction? Thats where I come from. I can't let someone listen to a loop I've created and feel awesome about it. "Look at this man! This mad soundz I made!"

I can make a simple loop and play over it but I would rather make it with my guitar and just keep recording my guitar instead of using synths.

Phlip
06-05-2008, 08:31 AM
But do you get the same satisfaction? Thats where I come from. I can't let someone listen to a loop I've created and feel awesome about it. "Look at this man! This mad soundz I made!"

I can make a simple loop and play over it but I would rather make it with my guitar and just keep recording my guitar instead of using synths.

Damn yes I get the same satisfaction... When a friend swings by the house while I am working and what he hears causes him to run to the car for his notebook, why would that NOT be satisfying? When my brother, who has a key to my house, stops by and burns a disc of my shit and rides to it with no vocals, why would that NOT be satisfying? Knowing that I have taught myself to do all of this, why would that not be satisfying?
It all relates closely to just1pepsi's painters; each has made something that took some creative input, more than the average fuckass off the street can muster (contrary to what some people believe about use of digital media creation), why bother wasting the time if you're not TRYING to make something to be proud of and/or profit from?

just1pepsi
06-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Well, it really is about making a certain sound. I can definately see how modern technology helps that. I think what we are talking about is two different things. First being that todays music being what it is, you dont have to be a good or talented musician to be successful. With all of the modern tools available it is literally possible to polish a turd into a diamond. Second being that modern technology makes things much easier.

Think about this: Ice Cube - It was a good day.

Uses drum loops, and a sample from an old mo-town (not sure if its true mo-town) track. I'm reasonably sure this was done using a more traditional method using tape, and era-modern equipment. There is no question it would have been substantially easier nowadays with a trained hand to lay that track down as it was on the original record.

Now listen closely to that track, and you have got to realize the art that goes into that. Not just any Joe Schmoe could have put down a track like that. Sure, they may have put the percussion w/ the loop in there, but it takes a true artist to put it together like it was.

So really you have the art and the tools to put it together. I say there is nothing wrong with making the process easier. I do think there is something wrong with using modern technology to produce something that has no real art behind it.

Its sort of difficult to illustrate the point I'm trying to make.. or at least it feels that way.

Phlip
06-05-2008, 08:50 AM
**off topic**
that sample was The Isley Brothers' "Footsteps in the Dark," I was 14 when that song came out and I IMMEDIATELY recognized it, I thank my parents and uncles for that fact.
**... back on topic**
Being that DJ Pooh ("Red" from "Friday," the movie) made the beat, I am almost willing to bet that he did it on an ASR-10 or an SP1200, which would have allowed a sample of a sound through a connected turntable. I know it is not as simple as some want to think it is trap precisely what you want or need from a fucking MP3 with a mouse and a fucking 22" widescreen monitor, so I can imagine what it was in 1993 when having to do it from a damned wax record on analog equipment with a tiny display.
Your point makes perfect sense to me,

LeftNutOfGowd
06-05-2008, 09:21 AM
HIP-HOP is DEAD/TRASH, Hip-Hop sucks now there isn't any good music out its all the same shit.

Phlip
06-05-2008, 09:32 AM
^^^ I expect to hear such bullshit from people who are not willing to listen to what is good.
Please don't allow yourself to become jaded by the bad shit. It's not like some giant living up in the woods. I am far from one of those "I only listen to underground" fuckers, in fact I hate those types, but there IS good hip hop to be had. It is just like anything else, it's not gonna come hunting for you, you gotta get up and go get it.

LeftNutOfGowd
06-05-2008, 09:41 AM
^^^ thats true sorry philip let me fix that COMMERCIAL HIP HOP SUCKS all the ones you hear on the raido or see on t.v (MTV/VH1/BET etc etc).

But it doesn't really matter im more of a rock guy myself that never gets old lol..

just1pepsi
06-05-2008, 09:44 AM
If you appreciate things for what they are, the really good stuff you have to dig for. I still cannot figure out why some artists go multi-platinum.. I guess most people buy whatever the radio tells them to.

Pretty scary if you think about it, what else do people do that society tells them to without conciously knowing it?

Phlip
06-05-2008, 09:45 AM
I'll give you that much, to a certain extent... Fact remains that popular music will continue to sell itself to the widest possible audience, which unfortunately dumb down music... I'm preaching to the choir and becoming a broken record.
Even among the shit that one will hear on the radio/video will be something worth listening to. I will give about anything a sporting chance.

murda-c
06-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Ay sometimes i just wanna dance and this club music is bumpin yo.

s13poop
06-05-2008, 11:20 AM
http://www.exclaim.ca/images/anchorman.jpg

"man this thread really got outta hand, i mean that escalted really quick"

Antihero983
06-05-2008, 11:34 AM
is it wrong that i sing "i wanna make love with your mom" whenever this song comes on?

MikeisNissan
06-05-2008, 11:46 AM
yo his dances are fucking funny as hell!! i hope he aint got a deal cause if he does then i need one too..

On another note.. Music is Music if you don't like it.. Don't fucking listen to it plain and simple!!

"And need to know where he got those fresh J's" and i think those are black and white 13's

http://www.individualsole.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/aj13-1.jpg

100 ghetto booty's in the hood!!!lol

Wrong those were def. not 13's they were like bootleg 13's

stiizy
06-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Wrong those were def. not 13's they were like bootleg 13's

you know i watched the vid again cause that shit is super funny and saw that they weren't sorry man... they do look bootleg maybe there team J's or something

steve shadows
06-05-2008, 11:50 AM
http://www.exclaim.ca/images/anchorman.jpg

"man this thread really got outta hand, i mean that escalted really quick"

Great reference to a great insane scene

infinitexsound
06-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Rap as a genre is kind of a dying breed. There's not very many real rappers out there anymore. I was listening to my Sirius and Soulja Boy was going on and on about how he's promoting hip hop lifestyle through his music. Some of these fucks actually think that they are on the same level as Common and Blackstar. The host even said hip hop evolved....lol. I then changed the channel because it was making me sick. We serioulsy need to create a name for that type of music so they don't try to group themselves in with the legends.

popular rap, just like pop rock...aka simple plan, avril lavigina, good charlotte

Phlip
06-05-2008, 12:14 PM
is it wrong that i sing "i wanna make love with your mom" whenever this song comes on?

What about "I wanna make love in her butt"?
Is that wrong?

SimpleSexy180
06-05-2008, 12:28 PM
HIP-HOP is DEAD/TRASH, Hip-Hop sucks now there isn't any good music out its all the same shit.

ignorant tool. dumbest thing ive heard on zilvia.

as for this whole thread.. it does take skill to mesh together samples/loops/basslines/ etc etc etc

Mi Beardo es Loco

i couldnt agree more. ive always wanted a seperate genre for all those fuckers.

but you know what the music indus has changed a shitload. Their is more local and foreign artist/ producers getting love and are just as well known as big mainstream artist (atleast in cali). Thank god these youngs kids are started to see it too. example...Pacific Division.

DohcKA
06-05-2008, 12:39 PM
this thread jumped off... i would not be trippen if money starting comin my way cuz i jerked a fool on some beats i made.... money rules this world... doesnt matter how you made it its how smart you can make it

Antihero983
06-05-2008, 01:08 PM
What about "I wanna make love in her butt"?
Is that wrong?

hmm....nope not at all!

and yeah, we should collaborate on something sometime. i could do a beat and then you could add to it or vice versa....

Antihero983
06-05-2008, 01:27 PM
i beatbox, as well as play guitar and drums.

but that means i really dont need an instrument....so...am i cooler than drift freaq and CApowereds14?

:keke: KIDDING!!!!

SimpleSexy180
06-05-2008, 03:25 PM
hmm....nope not at all!

and yeah, we should collaborate on something sometime. i could do a beat and then you could add to it or vice versa....

haha you and phil

whoa calm down Foreign Exchange

hehe. :)

Phlip
06-05-2008, 06:17 PM
C'mon, Jason, you know you want in on this one... Hell, he is closer to me than you are though.

Antihero983
06-05-2008, 06:19 PM
*confused*

foreign exchange?

Phlip
06-05-2008, 06:20 PM
*confused*

foreign exchange?

I'm gonna send you a PM, gimme a few minutes to google.

Antihero983
06-05-2008, 06:56 PM
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn this is pretty good.

thanks phlip!

CAPoweredS14
06-06-2008, 12:06 AM
i beatbox, as well as play guitar and drums.

but that means i really dont need an instrument....so...am i cooler than drift freaq and CApowereds14?

:keke: KIDDING!!!!
That means you MADE an instrument. Not only kudos, but double for making a body part make music other than assholes...

infinitexsound
06-06-2008, 02:05 AM
^^^ I expect to hear such bullshit from people who are not willing to listen to what is good.
Please don't allow yourself to become jaded by the bad shit. It's not like some giant living up in the woods. I am far from one of those "I only listen to underground" fuckers, in fact I hate those types, but there IS good hip hop to be had. It is just like anything else, it's not gonna come hunting for you, you gotta get up and go get it.
THATS THE TRUTH RIGHT THERE...... people resort to radio and television to find good music... Theres internet people... shit some of the good hip hop i have i didnt even see on tv , or hear thru the radio.....

Antihero983
06-06-2008, 07:12 AM
let me just post the following about music getting dumbed down....and this is off of my fave hip hop cd of 08....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1Et1siZhTk

Phlip
06-06-2008, 07:16 AM
^^^ No YouTube at work... What is that?

Antihero983
06-06-2008, 07:17 AM
aw dude that sucks :(

its Lupe Fiasco- Dumb It Down off of The Cool.

Fries
06-06-2008, 11:22 AM
Lord knows Kanye West comes up with all his beats...

I mean wtf people.

When you listen to the song, it's more than the beat.

A good artist could make a shit beat sound like fire.

You can hate all you want and claim you could do better than X singer.

But in the end, you are still living in your mom's basement and whatnot while the singer is continuing what they do.

"Real musicians do all their own shit themselves." Fuck that. Stop trying to make this what it isn't.

Dude found a beat, he's happy, END.

I dont often listen to mainstream rap, but on the radio there was this song by Kanye on it. Shit made me sick. Although he was good, he's very quickly falling from grace. The only reason why his shit will still be played is because who he is and everyone that's into pop doesnt really care what the music actually sounds like.

[After all if they did why would 90% of the songs stay in the top 10 for months at a time?]