PDA

View Full Version : short shifter choice

imbrognolouis
06-03-2008, 02:01 PM
So i've been deciding on a short shifter. I"m currently borrowing my friends c's shifter and i love it alot. Problem is its about 100 bucks more expensive than i want to spend. Looking around 150 dollars. I've had an expience with a b&m shifter and wasnt impressed. Anyone got any good alternatives? I was looking at Pilot motorsports. I've read a few reviews and everyoen seems to love em.
Any review on that particular short shifter or any other worth looking into would be great. Thanks.
I also have read all the articles on this subject and all i really seem to find is tuff on the bm shifter.

Andrew Bohan
06-03-2008, 02:33 PM
i had a pilot. it was really buzzy
i much prefer the feel of b&m, since it replaces everything it's way more notchy.

i haven't tried a c's but it seems to be what everyone loves if they don't like b&m

06-03-2008, 02:41 PM
I rock the C's on my S14 and wouldn't have it any other way. I've had B&M btw and although it's notchy and feels ok, I've seen way too many break.

Robert

MVP is C's USA so if you are interested hit me up!!! :D

SoloSilvia
06-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Ive tryed a few "short throw shifters" and went with B&M and never looked back! My B&M is so solid and sturdy feeling compared to others. Not sure if you had the real deal or knockoff, but My B&M impresses me and everyone I let feel it.(That sounds wrong, lol,but ya know what I mean):coold:

IStop4NoMan
06-03-2008, 02:42 PM
all i can say is, dont get megan racing. i hate that thing. the fit is crap and i had to trim a lot of the bushings to make it fit.

xsparc
06-03-2008, 02:51 PM
all i can say is, dont get megan racing. i hate that thing. the fit is crap and i had to trim a lot of the bushings to make it fit.

Really?? mine was fine, but the bushing was crap, came off in like a month. But with a OEM bushing on there it feels great.

HS13KLS
06-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Really?? mine was fine, but the bushing was crap, came off in like a month. But with a OEM bushing on there it feels great.

+1 to that..
the megan was shitty...and the bushing blew out on me in 3 days..

but i did replace it with my old shifter bushing and now everythings all good haha. but if i do it again. ill def get a b&M

devonkyle77
06-03-2008, 03:05 PM
b&m
/end thread

jimmytango00
06-03-2008, 03:09 PM
not sure if mazworx makes one for 240sx's but i bought one for my z32 trans and the quality looks great. havent put it on the car yet but hit them up and see if they have them for an s13.

vespaman
06-03-2008, 03:10 PM
i tried b&m on my friend's car once, it was okay but i like tomei on my car better. just my opinion..

dorkidori_s13
06-03-2008, 03:15 PM
in all honesty...be careful with short shifters...they can really mess with your trannys gear synchros...because of the pressure the short shifter puts on your trannys input shaft...it wont allow for the synchros to line up properly after extended use

i had a short shifter for a few years...got to the point where almost every gear was grinding on both low RPM and high RPM shifting...i said screw it and put my stock shifter back in...made a HUGE difference...gears didnt grind ne more (the only gear oil ive ever run in my tranny has been Redline...so i know it wasnt run shitty gear oil either)

IStop4NoMan
06-03-2008, 03:44 PM
mm redline, thats what i run too. i love that stuff.

i should try putting my old shifter bushing in but i couldnt get the oem shifter to come apart haha. maybe i need to take a torch to it to get it to unscrew at the middle.

hustlervibes
06-03-2008, 04:02 PM
C's is awesome if you want a very OEM feel, but almost half as short of a throw. If you want something more extreme go with the B&M.

I rock a C's personally.

bigOdom1
06-03-2008, 04:06 PM
B and M or nothing at all

usdm180sx
06-03-2008, 04:08 PM
I had a pilot, b&m and c's. Currently rock a c's and really like it. B&M is nice too but it's a lot more notchy.

When it comes to short shifters you gotta pay to play, or find a used c’s like I did from RnDFactory for $100

HalveBlue
06-03-2008, 04:10 PM
I don't know how it compares to the other short shifters out there (having never tried any others) but my B&M suits me very well. Plus I haven't had any of the problems that apparently exist with some of the other brands.

INeedNewTires
06-03-2008, 04:18 PM
B&M is my vote, i have it and love it, VERY notchy, super solid feel, no buzzing or play while in gear, and its worth the money. I've had friends with other short shifters that were very impressed, not only on 240s but other cars too.

TanaMU
06-03-2008, 04:25 PM
I used to have a C's copy from ebay. $50 shipped and I used it for about a year with no problems, other than a bit of buzzing that I got used to very quickly.

Now I have a Bing's shifter (bings.ca) which is the same as a megan, which is a copy of the B&M. Works just fine for me and it was only $100.

usdm180sx
06-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Well, the 1st gen b&m rattled like a mo fo at high rpm's, the pilot shifter fell apart after awhile but I never heard of any problems with the c's which has been around since the early 90's

tru180sx
06-03-2008, 07:18 PM
b&m! u wont regret it!

duffman1278
06-03-2008, 10:17 PM
When I had a B&M in my KA24E, that shifter felt SOLID, and awsome. Personally I loved how it felt. I'm going to get it for my SR. I've never heard any bad things about them

GeneStarWindGSW
06-03-2008, 10:21 PM
B&M bro, its the only way to go.

I've had two of them and no regrets

nismocoupebc
06-03-2008, 10:30 PM
i have magan racing had no problems at all hmmm

GeneStarWindGSW
06-03-2008, 10:36 PM
There is a difference between Short Shifter and a Short THROW shifter. make sure you are getting the one you want. Like the nismo short shifter is just a shifter thats just short and more solid but the throw stays just about the same. the B&M one actually has a real shorter throw.

BattleRoyale
06-03-2008, 10:36 PM
B&M very nice and notchy, but wish they would make a version that wouldn't vibrate like hell and grind in some gears (have the version 2 still vibrates like hell)

I also swapped the bushing to the oem one it helped a little

i heard the fidanza one is good essentially its just a copy of the (c's, pilot, megan ver. 1) short shifter

MikeisNissan
06-03-2008, 10:39 PM
I have a Fidanza short throw. It's good!

GeneStarWindGSW
06-03-2008, 10:47 PM
B&M very nice and notchy, but wish they would make a version that wouldn't vibrate like hell and grind in some gears (have the version 2 still vibrates like hell)

I also swapped the bushing to the oem one it helped a little

i heard the fidanza one is good essentially its just a copy of the (c's, pilot, megan ver. 1) short shifter

i don't think that your B&m vibrating man unless a)u didn't use the gasket or rtv to seal ur B&M or b) it could be like me and ur center driveshaft is loose.

mines was loose and it made the worse vibrating noises of life, until got under the car and checked along the whole driveshaft. i thought it was coming from the tranny or my B&M but it wasn't.

LongGrain
06-03-2008, 10:48 PM
ive heard nismo solid shifters are awesome.

i want one

ByeByeSti
06-03-2008, 11:19 PM
i love my b&m!! by far the best ive had experience with