PDA

View Full Version : Algae, Sunlight and Water = New Bio Fuel

Baka Sama
06-02-2008, 05:48 PM
http://images.leftlanenews.com/content/may2008/green-crude-ri.jpg

Move over biodiesel and watch out ethanol, there's a new biofuel on the block. California-based Sapphire Energy has announced that it has created a process that nets ASTM certified 91-octane gasoline from little more than algae, sunlight and waste water.

While several other companies produce bio-fuel in a similar fashion, Sapphire's process is a unique technique that produces a uniform product that can be used in gasoline engines without any modifications. Sapphire stresses that their fuel is not ethanol or biodiesel.

According to EcoGeek.org, the company launched a year ago and set off to answer one nagging question: "Why is the biofuel industry spending so much time and energy to manufacture ethanol — a fundamentally inferior fuel?"

Unlike the production of ethanol, Sapphire's production process doesn't use land for fuel crop instead of food crop and virtually eliminates any emissions in the creation process. The end product is a green liquid that is virtually identical to gasoline.

And just to silence any naysayers, Brian Goodall — an employee of Sapphire Energy — just completed a cross-Atlantic flight in a plane powered by the company's biofuel.

Analysts have been wary about the commercial future of 'Green Crude', but a couple of landmark deals could be changing that outlook. Sapphire just landed a $50 million backing from three venture capitalists and GreenFuel Technologies — a similar company — will be setting up a multi-million dollar facility in Europe.

With companies like General Motors investing millions in ethanol companies, we wonder how long it will take before automakers jump on the algae-derived gasoline bandwagon.

-Left Lane News

Why isnt this stuff in my car right now?!

ESmorz
06-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Hmmm. Well either the researchers facilities and plans are all going to blow up in a "mysterious" explosion.

Or there is a catch of some sort.

murda-c
06-02-2008, 05:55 PM
because of greenhouse gas emissions kekekekekeke

and we gotta do something to make those farmers happy, corn is too cheap to make money off of.

ESmorz
06-02-2008, 05:57 PM
I love greenhouse emissions.

blueshark123
06-02-2008, 05:59 PM
i wish this thing blows up big and replaces normal gas cause i really loveeee gas prices now.

yoni_nismo
06-02-2008, 06:00 PM
their goin 2 disapear...:ugh:
everyone that seems to create a low cost fuel ends up missing

A Spec Products
06-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Why isnt this stuff in my car right now?!

Because oil companies and THE MAN are in bed together

I want to use green fuel

I would get a clear fuel tank

So you could see my green fuel

Then if I had a leak, it would look like the Predator when he got killed

No but seriously, I hope this is truly a viable solution

But what comes out of the tailpipe when you use this stuff?

SimpleS14
06-02-2008, 06:12 PM
their goin 2 disapear...:ugh:
everyone that seems to create a low cost fuel ends up missing

So true...I really hope somehow, this one does survive.

Where is the source for this article?

Baka Sama
06-02-2008, 06:21 PM
^ Left Lane News. Im sure its other places as well.

The company flew a plane over the atlantic using the stuff so the only question is production. How can they produce this by the billions of gal.

Good old Algae, What isnt this stuff good for lol.

Flipzide
06-02-2008, 06:23 PM
this option sounds good. hope something comes out of it.

BustedS13
06-02-2008, 06:35 PM
production cost vs. regular oil?

this isn't going to take off until it's actually cheaper than our retarded expensive gas

LB.Motoring
06-02-2008, 06:37 PM

this isn't going to take off until it's actually cheaper than our retarded expensive gas

Exactly,

I try to argue with my dad about alternative energy,

but he always wins with down to the point, overall production Cost; because thats whats most efficient.

I will one day become a smart man like him. (hopefully)

exitspeed
06-02-2008, 06:39 PM
I've seen stuff about this.

There are a few alternative fuels on the brink. But like you said Busted13, they cost too much to produce at the moment. 10 years from now things WILL be different and we will NOT be as dependent on oil.

kyoru
06-02-2008, 06:50 PM
So true...I really hope somehow, this one does survive.

Where is the source for this article?

No seriously why does every revolutionary fuel disappear :\

ESmorz
06-02-2008, 06:58 PM
No seriously why does every revolutionary fuel disappear :

Either the researchers facilities and plans are all going to blow up in a "mysterious" explosion.

Or there is a catch of some sort.

Hahaha. It's mostly because most of the "alternative" fuels pan out to be more expensive to produce on a mass scale than our beloved fossils...

exitspeed
06-02-2008, 07:34 PM
FYI GM is working with a company and together they are revolutionizing the production process for E85. Their new process will allow 3 times the amount of E85 to be produced compared to the current cost. 10 more years and they will probably have a 1:1 production cost to oil.

Xandy Boosts
06-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Sooo my uncle hasn't been cleaning his pool and its all green. Can I put that in my fuel tank? :keke: :hsdance:

Baka Sama
06-02-2008, 07:49 PM

I dont understand why that is even a factor. Its gonna be hard to find a bio fuel thats cheaper to produce than oil but its not like they (production companies + government) are not gonna make a profit on it. So what if it cost more than oil to make? a profit is a profit if its sold to the public.

If the government were serious about saving the environment then % of profit compared to oil should not be a concern.

BustedS13
06-02-2008, 08:22 PM
I dont understand why that is even a factor. Its gonna be hard to find a bio fuel thats cheaper to produce than oil but its not like they (production companies + government) are not gonna make a profit on it. So what if it cost more than oil to make? a profit is a profit if its sold to the public.

If the government were serious about saving the environment then % of profit compared to oil should not be a concern.

because the public isn't going to buy something that costs more than gasoline.

infinitexsound
06-02-2008, 08:26 PM
yeah they will, when they have no choice.... bio fuels can be made from just about anything even potatoes... your lawn cutting...

politics...daymn lobbyist are just making the transistion harder...

Baka Sama
06-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Im sure we can find a way to make freakin filtered algae water cheaper than drilling for oil.

infinitexsound
06-02-2008, 08:34 PM
they already use red algae for medicinal use.....everything on the planet has a purpose...

Matej
06-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Algae + sunlight + water?
I'm going to stuff some algae in my gas tank, throw a flashlight in there, and top it off with water.

Baka Sama
06-02-2008, 08:41 PM
All in all, I think something like this would be best for everyone. Car companies wouldnt have to waste millions on hybrid technology. It'll be cheaper for us in the long run and we could still use it in older cars. Plus little to no harm to the baby seals in Alaska.

ESmorz
06-02-2008, 08:43 PM
All in all, I think something like this would be best for everyone. Car companies wouldnt have to waste millions on hybrid technology. It'll be cheaper for us in the long run and we could still use it in older cars. Plus little to no harm to the baby seals in Alaska.

Except for:

http://www.wildlifeextra.com/images/seal-killing.JPG

BustedS13
06-02-2008, 09:01 PM
yeah they will, when they have no choice.... bio fuels can be made from just about anything even potatoes... your lawn cutting...

politics...daymn lobbyist are just making the transistion harder...

what?

it's all on a sliding scale.

gas doesn't stay the same price forever. you may notice this when you fill your tank. some day in the UNFORESEEABLE FUTURE, when we really are running out of petroleum, gas prices will shoot up to the point, where, yes, alternative fuel will be priced lower, and people will buy it instead.
also, as alternative fuel becomes more accepted, production will increase, which will drive its price down through competition of different brands of biofuel and the savings of bulk production and so on.
but until that point, WHEN GAS IS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE ALTERNATIVE, people will continue to use what they've been using.
you can talk about "going green" and all that bullshit, but what everything actually comes down to is money. that's the only green that really matters.

Matej
06-02-2008, 09:07 PM
If the oil companies keep interfering and opposing new fuel alternatives such as this, we need to get rid of them and the lobbying movement backing them, like the British did to King Charles when he attempted to gain absolute power.
If the only reason people of Earth have to pay high prices is because you're greedy and don't want to admit that you're obsolete and step down willingly, then you'll go forcefully. I wish it was as easy as that.

Matej
06-02-2008, 09:50 PM
So is it possible to buy this anywhere?
http://www.metrocouncil.org/Directions/water/water2007/AlgaeTubesNov07.jpg

I wonder how it would affect emissions.
Even it's more expensive right now, that'd be cool if you could buy a canister of algae fuel somewhere and fill up with it instead of regular fuel before you get tested and easily pass.

Future240
06-02-2008, 10:01 PM
If the oil companies keep interfering and opposing new fuel alternatives such as this, we need to get rid of them and the lobbying movement backing them, like the British did to King Charles when he attempted to gain absolute power.
If the only reason people of Earth have to pay high prices is because you're greedy and don't want to admit that you're obsolete and step down willingly, then you'll go forcefully. I wish it was as easy as that.

The oil companies will step down whether they want to or not. As busteds13 pointed out, when the gas supply is actually running out, the price of gas will skyrocket, and people will turn elsewhere. Gas then will be a precioius commodity that not everyone can afford, and big oil will be replaced by big green, or who ever the hell is makin stuff to put into cars. Then the cycle of extortion will begin anew:wtc:. Personally i think investing into non-combustion types of power is a good idea. Hovercrafts FTW! But seriously i think that would probably be benefical to the planet and my great great great great grandkids. but that could jus be my inner hippie/starwars nerd talkin. I hope someone does somethin though, cuz my wallet is cryin at the thought of gas in 6 years if these prices hikes keep happening

infinitexsound
06-03-2008, 01:18 AM
hovercrafts still use a form of engine to create air pressure into the bags they ride on..... unless your thinking some jetson's type shit... that aint happening anytime soon... i vote ride your bicycle and more public transportation... we need a minute train around the bay area.. daymn it..

Future240
06-03-2008, 08:33 AM
^^^yea jetson shit was pretty much what i was thinkin. thats why i said great great great great great grankids would benefit from it. Public transportation would be great. my homeotwn doesnt have buses and the city i am goin to college in, i have yet to see a cab. I think also that the cities with public transportation, should improve what they already have, so the rides isnt so shitty

ryguy
06-04-2008, 12:10 AM
I think also that the cities with public transportation, should improve what they already have, so the rides isnt so shitty

Easier said than done. Public transportation is full of corruption same as big oil, at least here in Chicago. My dad works for the Chicago Transit Authority and the corruption there would blow your mind.

gregfarz78
06-04-2008, 05:46 AM
So far none of these "alternative" fuels have panned out no one wants to buy something that cost the same or marginally less than gasoline.