PDA

View Full Version : an ode to d.i.y.ers'

driftphenom
06-02-2008, 11:51 AM
ok first off i aqquired this car for $750 dolla bites. it was my sisters, an suv backed into her in a parking lot while she was behind it. the ball hitch punched into the front, right into the grille pushing back the upper radiator support, destroying all the lights and the hood, the hood no longer shut, and the ins. co. totaled it. that was 2 years ago. fast forward to now, i finally get around to doing something with it. i am NOT a mechanic, i thought the whole support would have to be replaced, thus i had alredy taken out radiator, ac condensor, fan etc. i.e. it didnt run. well i got to talkin with some guy guy at the bar one night about it, and he said " aw naw man, just get a rubber mallet and beat it into submission" sounded kinda brutal, but i thought what the hell, whats the worst that could happen. so i go out there one day and start bangin away, when i realized "this might just work". so i finally got the hood to close and latch, but it was still all muffed up from where the crumple zone bent. so i put the car back together and fired it up............

begining of major problem 1.
the car fired up first try, but there was a devestatingly loud tick, rattle, idk, something fierce. i remembered that it had made that sound before, but went away after a while, so i drove it around the block a couple times, and it seemed to run fine. i let it idle in the drive way about 5 min or so and when i came back out....... uh oh- HUGE puddle of oil under the car. literally spraying from somewhere. this was my sisters car, but she let her husband drive it (he put oil in it when it wouldnt start). apparently he put so much oil in it that it blew the main seal int the front, and rather than get it fixed he just continued to put more oil in it every week for god knows how long. so you can use your imagination to how much oil is sprayed/ caked on the engine bay.
like i said before im not a mechanic, but i know a guy who is and he gave me a basic rundown on how to change the particular seal. i figured it was worth the try, and after a long afternoon, i had successfully replaced the FRONT MAIN OIL SEAL!!!. sounds so important, right?

after i did that i thought back to the rattle and decided to attck that as well. after doing some research i discovered that 240s have an issue with a timing chain guide that arent even nessicary.sp? so off comes the valve cover-bam-top guide gone. still rattles, rats! so at this point i know the other guide is a little harder to get to, but im still feeling confident after the oil seal replacement. so one saturady after noon, i get down to it, when i get the front cover off, i take off the guide, but notice that something below it doesnt look right. i stick my finger down there and its just a piece of plastic spinning on a spindle. at this point, my confidence was falling and i was thinkin i had a SERIOUS problem on my hands. but i chalked it up, and put the front cover back on, hoping for the best..........

serious problem no. 2
after i put everything back together i started the car. still rattling. i got a sick feeling in my gut thinking i was in over my head. so i downloaded an fsm, and found out that little piece of plastic was a "timing chain guide" and mine was obvioulsly destroyed. boy, i had no idea what i was getting myself into. i called thee local nissan shop to see how much it would be to fix it, and he gave me the bone chilling number of $3000, 20hrs of labor. fuck. after much deliberation i decided to try to do it myself. i figured if i failed i could still buy a rebuilt engine for less than 3 grand right? so i got on ebay and bought a timing chain rebuild kit which came various parts for the timing portion of the engine.

the rest of the story i will explain with video and pictures:

this is what it sounded like before

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c112/driftphenom/?action=view&current=100_1136.flv

imagine hearing that bounce of the car beside you at a stoplight

this is what it sounded like after

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c112/driftphenom/?action=view&current=100_1152.flv

this is what was in there, and what was supposed to be in there

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c112/driftphenom/100_1148.jpg

this is a pic of the pieces of the guide that were still on the engine
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c112/driftphenom/100_1147.jpg
this is what its supposed to look like
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c112/driftphenom/100_1149.jpg
notice the caked on oil crap everywhere

moral of the story is that you can do anything you set your mind to, just be patient, dont rush things, the amount of self confidence you get from doing it yourself is astronomical. if you get frustarted, take a break. anything is possible. if it was put together, it can be taken aprt, and vice versa. i WASNT a mechanic, but i am now. lol jk. thx for reading my story and i encourage everyone to d.i.y.

SW20Racer
06-02-2008, 12:43 PM
soapy water and a pump srayer are gonna be youre best friend.

dont use too much water pressure. it could damage something small

just get soap/water on that gunk and let the soap break it down (dawn is awesome)

then spray it off.

yippy-ki-yay mother fucker.

clark
06-02-2008, 12:51 PM
welcome to the club...i hope you're ready for many more problems lol...but it makes me happy that you're actually enjoying this and you're not too much of a pussy to do it yourself.

Zero-Offset
06-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Nice dude, my dad and i are working on his Corvair, and by no means are we anywhere near mechanics haha. But the sense of accomplishment really is TERRIFIC!

blueshark123
06-02-2008, 02:11 PM
theres no better way to learn then getting ur hands dirty congrats

cronux
06-10-2008, 11:16 PM
i had that exact guide break in my engine. but mine shattered, and the pieces got sucked into the oil pickup, effectively killing my engine dead.

soo if i were you, i would drop the oil pan, and find the rest of that guide, before it does more damage. just trying to help out.

but congrats, its fun learning by doing. i just learned how to take an engine apart. by doing. haha. completely tore down for rebuild in about 2 hours. it was a good time.

infinitexsound
06-10-2008, 11:40 PM
cool stuff glad u had fun... take it to a pressure washer... at a car wash.... 3 bucks... and ur clean...

projectRDM
06-11-2008, 08:31 AM
A case of carb cleaner will do better than any pressure washer ever will. Use the pressure washer only after you've broken down all the crud.

MadScientist
06-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Seafoam... get it from any Pep-Boys, AutoZone, etc...
That shit breaks down oil better than any de-greeser.

Add it to the fuel for Injector cleaning
Add to Vacuum, Oil, etc... its Universally great!!

Meng1988
06-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Brake cleaner was my best friend when I first gt my car. Just got to be careful where you are spraying.

But congrats on everything.

infinitexsound
06-11-2008, 09:23 PM
i use to use race gas with that harborfreight engine cleaner gun. to clean engines before i rebuild...... works great wouldnt suggest it to u guys tho...
but im cheap i dont prefer to spend 3 bucks each for brake cleaner... gas is cheaper... and u get it by the gallon...

az_240
06-11-2008, 10:02 PM
carb/engine cleaner and a garden hose w/ hot water.... I have a sink in the garage with threads:) works great

s13 @ fullboost
06-12-2008, 06:17 PM
welcome to the club...i hope you're ready for many more problems lol...but it makes me happy that you're actually enjoying this and you're not too much of a pussy to do it yourself.

my exact thoughts =]

sked707
06-12-2008, 07:23 PM
haha, man it's weird how i found this thread because i was JUST recently wondering how hard it would be to change my timing chain & guides. Even been reading my chilton's manual. Good to hear you fixed it too but damn $3000 to fix that at the dealer?? :loco: That shit motivates me to just tackle the job myself. Again, glad to see your progress, really motivating.

hotlavaflow
06-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Nice dude, my dad and i are working on his Corvair, and by no means are we anywhere near mechanics haha. But the sense of accomplishment really is TERRIFIC!

'62 Corvair Monza Coupe was my first car. Bought it for $500.

Backon topic:

Props to you for getting that work done.

driftphenom
06-13-2008, 10:07 AM
i had that exact guide break in my engine. but mine shattered, and the pieces got sucked into the oil pickup, effectively killing my engine dead.

soo if i were you, i would drop the oil pan, and find the rest of that guide, before it does more damage. just trying to help out.

but congrats, its fun learning by doing. i just learned how to take an engine apart. by doing. haha. completely tore down for rebuild in about 2 hours. it was a good time.

oh we did drop the pan and there were chunks all up in there. i shouldve taken more pics but i was on a misssion on success.

nieko
06-29-2008, 02:05 PM
how long did it take you to replace the guide?