PDA

View Full Version : Help from Hawaii members?

TheArkitekt
05-29-2008, 11:45 AM
I am considering a new job in Hawaii and am curious as to what it would take to get my s13 legal out there. I currently am from ohio (read: zero emissions laws) so as it sits I don't even have a cat. I assume I'll have to get one of those on there, lol, but I was wondering what else they check for when a new car enters the state.

Do they check for DOT on headlights/taillights?

Db on exhaust?

tail pipe sniffer?

DOT seatbelts? (I have harnesses)

Thanks for your help guys!!

Jason

lonelywanderer
05-31-2008, 04:58 AM
there is no real emission laws but they usually say you need a cat....

we do have a safety check though which is mandatory so if your car is heavily modded you wont pass and prolly be told to get recon.

lookup on forums hawai dot net theres a ticket recon advice section where the rules are listed to give you some better insight on the matter

TheArkitekt
05-31-2008, 02:20 PM
thanks man, if its too much trouble ill just sell it before i go. but i would rather take it with me since i could drive it year round! haha

addition:
Just read up on the forum! looks like i will be selling since nothing i have will pass...HIDs, silvia front end, suspension travel, alignment...blah blah blah haha.

lonelywanderer
06-01-2008, 03:49 PM
if you got alot of the parts to make it comply its would help but the suspension might be passable if you can make it soft and the correct height, but for shure the silvia front dont pass

TheArkitekt
06-02-2008, 02:18 PM
yeah i dont really want to convert back to a USDM front end, just too much work.

Hows the market out there? would you recommend just buying something there or would it be cheaper to buy a project stateside and ship it out? I would like a s13 vert, hachi, or something like that.

from what i read the recon stuff isnt that bad, just changes how i would do things. no more rocking coilovers on the street, no HID conversion other then a 5500k, etc.

lonelywanderer
06-12-2008, 12:57 AM
as its getting harder to find nice stock ones to build i'd go and buy one in your area and ship it down. verts are really rare so finding one here forsale is kinda impossible on the island