PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes forum nabs a scammer...

SinisterSntra91
05-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Pretty sweet detective work, nice to see a forum come together.

http://blog.cyberchun.com/archives/000428.html

TheTimanator
05-28-2008, 07:40 PM
cliff notes?

that forum is hard to read.

SinisterSntra91
05-28-2008, 07:46 PM
cliff notes?

Basically they cross trace the guy over several forums, they trace his ip addresses linking the majority to a college in boston, they take photos that the guy took of his car and remove the white out on the plates enough to read them, etc, etc. They get to the point where they get his name and address by using all the info, good stuff.

FYI for anyone who may have been potentially scamed, if they want to call you to discuss the situation like this guy did give them your cell phone number or a number to a phone that has caller id. I almost got scammed one time, but the guy made the fatal mistake of calling me from a number that shows up on caller id, in fact he first called from his parents house then from his brothers house. By the time I was done tracing I had enough information to show up on his door step, his brothers door step and his parents door step. Hell I even managed to get his bank account info. After I called him and his parents my money was back. You would be suprised what you can find on the internet by using reverse phone number look ups and such.

renegade_ewok
05-28-2008, 07:48 PM
cliff notes?

1. 2 people get sold the same set of wheels. (actually 3...more on that later)
2. They get suspicious and post about it.
3. Perp is found to be a known parasite.
4. Linked to fraudulent ebay auctions.
5. Word spreads, and as info comes out, linked to other frauds involving people in other forums and in the past.
6. People from all over the world, are able to link back to him through IP's and
email
7. He keeps claiming innocence, but then the actual owner of the wheels speaks up.
8. Buyers in his ebay auctions speak up, and we find he has collected thousands through ebay for the same wheels again, + xenon light sets
and other items.
9. The ownage becomes firm, as the evidence piles up.
10. Photoshop guru's able to strip away white areas blocking the license #'s and they become evident.
11. Attorney's, law enforcement, people working for DHL (the shipper)
all jump in the fray, and the identify and address is found.
12. DHL pull packages off a truck in Texas with the tracking #'s given and finds them not to be wheels, but empty boxes and books.
13. Perp issues refunds to the 2 people on the forum, but too late, and they haven't actually seen the refund yet, supposedly in process.
14. Admins from sites all over the world pool resources and find the many many usernames, email addresses and IP addresses used by the perp, and match them up.
15. A member gets pictures of the actual house with matching cars out front.
16. VIN #'s get run and match those of other info identifying the perp.
17. The evidence speaks. We are waiting for the arrest!

azndoc
05-28-2008, 07:56 PM
^^^^ Thanks for that.

Whew I hate reading those threads.

Takes forever.

From now on you shall be given the position of "The cliff note guy"

Good job.

+1 for ya.

bardabe
05-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Shit that's tight.

origin_s135
05-28-2008, 10:13 PM
sweet, no one likes to be scammed. what goes around comes around.

touge monster
05-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Glad to hear someones steping up. Good detective work when you have the whole world keeping an eye out.

97KATURBOSILVIA
05-28-2008, 10:40 PM
mad props to that forum, im out a total of $1381 to scammers none from this forum. Mostly honest guys here thanks to all for that:bigok:

an_orange_s2k
05-29-2008, 01:04 AM
glad to hear this guy is getting pwned...

Andrew Bohan
05-29-2008, 01:23 AM
...in the butt

!Zar!
05-29-2008, 01:24 AM
on MYSPACE !

CKAMC
05-29-2008, 03:27 AM
dam this guy loves to scam all the high end car owners...

if he was NC I could have sworn he was someone else....

Antihero983
05-29-2008, 06:25 AM

lol i dunno why...but that sounds funny.....

Phlip
05-29-2008, 06:48 AM
1. 2 people get sold the same set of wheels. (actually 3...more on that later)
2. They get suspicious and post about it.
3. Perp is found to be a known parasite.
4. Linked to fraudulent ebay auctions.
5. Word spreads, and as info comes out, linked to other frauds involving people in other forums and in the past.
6. People from all over the world, are able to link back to him through IP's and
email
7. He keeps claiming innocence, but then the actual owner of the wheels speaks up.
8. Buyers in his ebay auctions speak up, and we find he has collected thousands through ebay for the same wheels again, + xenon light sets
and other items.
10. Photoshop guru's able to strip away white areas blocking the license #'s and they become evident.
11. Attorney's, law enforcement, people working for DHL (the shipper)
all jump in the fray, and the identify and address is found.
12. DHL pull packages off a truck in Texas with the tracking #'s given and finds them not to be wheels, but empty boxes and books.
13. Perp issues refunds to the 2 people on the forum, but too late, and they haven't actually seen the refund yet, supposedly in process.
14. Admins from sites all over the world pool resources and find the many many usernames, email addresses and IP addresses used by the perp, and match them up.
15. A member gets pictures of the actual house with matching cars out front.
16. VIN #'s get run and match those of other info identifying the perp.
17. The evidence speaks. We are waiting for the arrest!
I should make it mandatory that the STARTER of these threads format their posts JUST like this, out of respect for those of us who care not to chase the story through a million pages on another forum.
dam this guy loves to scam all the high end car owners...

if he was NC I could have sworn he was someone else....
Stop bad-mouthing my home state, fucker... We don't claim that dude.