PDA

View Full Version : what does it mean to "submarine" in a harness

gotta240
05-28-2008, 05:41 PM
I saw the term "submarine" used in reference to a race car accident where the driver had a 4pt harness. It sounds like "submarining" is common with people who crash with a 4pt.

What exactly does that mean? i googled it and couldn't find a definition.

ThatGuy
05-28-2008, 05:44 PM
It means you slip out the bottom of the belts, sliding out of your seat.

It doesn't sound easy, but there a lot of G forces in a crash. Especially a fast race car crash.

Thus a 5 point harness has an anti-submarine belt that crushes your balls in a crash.

Yuri
05-28-2008, 05:49 PM
Actually the whole point of the crotch belt is to pull the lap belt down tight, and keep you from submarining by keeping the lap belt over your hips and off your stomach in a crash.
If installed correctly, it won't touch your crotch.
The 5-point is well worth it, unless you want to lose several feet of small intestine in a crash due to the belt riding up and crushing your abdomen.

ThatGuy
05-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Good point Yuri.

gotta240
05-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the replies. Hmmm. loosing intestine or loosing your manhood. Tough decision.

seriously though, with what yuri said, why even make 4pt harnesses if a 5pt is so much better? Its not like its that much more material or cost to make.

azndoc
05-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Thus is the reason that I have a six point harness.

With the crotch area not intalled yet.

Damn it I'm lazy.

AFSil80
05-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the replies. Hmmm. loosing intestine or loosing your manhood. Tough decision.

seriously though, with what yuri said, why even make 4pt harnesses if a 5pt is so much better? Its not like its that much more material or cost to make.

Dunno, makes me wonder too.

I still gotta buy my submarine belt for my Takata. I wonder if they start off in 4 pt b/c not all seats have the hole for the belt. I know my Recaro does, but I am uncertain about other brands.

Firestorm
05-28-2008, 08:52 PM
well schroth makes a 4-point that has some kind of anti-submarining-tech called asm, but i haven't figured out how it works yet...

link:
http://english.schroth.com/tuning/produktdetail.php?id=40&id_pic=2&page=0&id_kat1=3