PDA

View Full Version : Guitar people!

1ZlowZ
05-28-2008, 12:19 AM
Hey whats up, recently started playing the guitar like 5 min ago! I wonder if anyone has been playing the guitar for a while now. How much practice and stuff it took you to get to where you're at. I'll start off with what I can do so far and how long it took me... I can play the intro to Iron Man, it took me 2 min to understand tabs and such frets, chords, and tuning and stuff. Not fully understanding it but getting there. About 2 min to try and sound out the Iron Man intro. Sounds sweet, didn't know my fingers can make such noise. =]

If you can post a video of what you can do.

EDz s14
05-28-2008, 12:47 AM
Hey nice to hear that someone is playing guitar on this forum. Ive been playing guitar for almost 4 years now and I play mostly my own songs that I made. First time learning to play a song is fun, but it gets boring over the years until you can make your own song that sounds good. keep playing and it will clear up on how to play the guitar. Im glad you played Iron Man and not other shitty music. By the way what kind of guitar do you have?

LongGrain
05-28-2008, 12:55 AM
been playing for 5 years, i love it. I play a black SG

words of advice. dont just learn with tabs. you should really learn to read music, get some books and stuff. learn your scales and everything and you'll be able to see shapes and patterns in your playing. it really helps when you want to make up your own stuff, and if you play by ear and all that neat stuff.

i didnt do any of that, i taught myself to play using tabs. i can recreate almost any song, but when it comes to making my own songs, i suck... i want to take lessons or something to actually learn how to PLAY instead of just copying.

Dousan_PG
05-28-2008, 12:56 AM
learn scales
i paly on and off
but i suck
its just for fun
i hav ea epiphone lp w/ sd alinico pickups
and a ibanez semi hollow body
had a jackson but sold it to a buddy

anyways its for fun i like playing.

Jimmy Up
05-28-2008, 12:58 AM
Im cool with just copying, I only play bon jovi, poison, the eagles, etc. Bonfire stuff, but I learned all the basic chords pretty quickly. Just like anything else: you get what you put in and if you want to be a badass, you better start puttin in some heavy practice haha.

Andrew Bohan
05-28-2008, 01:14 AM
i've been playing since i was 14 (half of my life ago)

used to play all day long every day.
nowadays, not so much.

downshift_sideways
05-28-2008, 01:17 AM
Been playing since 16.

I own an Ovation Acoustic, and a Squire Strat.

Learned by ear...I agree...Learn the scales.

coww-cho!!!!!
05-28-2008, 01:18 AM
Ive played guitar since i was a freshman in hisghschool. i saw this guy play the intro to smells like teen spirit by Nirvana and i thought it was sooo cool seing it played in person. after seeing him play my friend and I went to the guitar store and begged our parents to buy our 1st guitars which were both Mexican made Fender Stratocasters. however my other friend phillip brought his homemade bass to my house and showed my how to play smoke on the water by deep purple...... from then on i listened to rock but punk caught my interest faster i started a band and played with some famous local punk bands since punk was fast i picked up on metal then started a "Hardcore" band then i had a chance to Build my own guitar from scratch by winning an essay contest at my high school and then just went into new rock that people listen to everyday anyways heres some tips..........

i would just playing slow ryhthmic pace like iron man but also keep in mind how many notes it has .....i reccomend playing smoke on the water and keep this in mind i thought myself guitar songs by humming the song in my head and finding that note along the neck........pretty much if i can humm it i can play it..... this also helps with creating a new song. also when learning a song....play on the clean channel of your amp dont ever use distortion becuase all that does is distort what your really playing, however the ladies cant tell the difference =D

as far as amps go dont get something your never gonna use. i started and still have a 15 watt fender amp and then once i started to have jam sessions i bought a 75w-100w amp and then when i started to play shows i bought a half stack.......never sell any of your Equipment because you'll need something to fall back on and it might open up to other instruments as of now i can play piano, bass and the drums as well and no learning/playing drums are not hard, guitar is

i can go on with this lol anyways if you wanna listen to my old band there still playing shows i left becuase i wanted th money since i already found a honey heres there myspace www.myspace.com/tosomethingbeautiful

i made up the song called "UNITE" but the version that on there myspace is the old recording as well as the ones posted on www.purevolume.com/tosomethingbeautiful that site has most of the songs when i was in it after that they got shitty haha

i started to get into math metal which i have no idea if anyone here know what that is in any case i can go on forever if you need advice hit me up i used to give lessons even online through AIM haha

1ZlowZ
05-28-2008, 01:19 AM
I don't really think its a good guitar, it says on the end Peavey Raptor 1, only one I could get for not so much. I was given an opportunity to play at church, either Piano, Drums, Bass or, Guitar. I chose guitar. If anyone can clear this up for me. When I'm reading tabs it has something like a fret and an h or other letter on it. Whats the H mean been reading but cant find any info on that.

Dousan_PG
05-28-2008, 01:23 AM
harmonic
like dont press on string just rest above it
and strike
common over 5th,7th, 12th frets etc

i like playing crue songs
its fun.

OR
might be Hammer on
like 5 to 7
strike 5 and then w/ other finger hit 7

??

1ZlowZ
05-28-2008, 01:30 AM
Here is a link to where it has a quiet a few of them. Iron Man tabs. =]

Please excuse me if I ask a lot of questions some sites just say things that sound too 'advanced' for me.

EDIT: Didn't put link sorry. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/b/black_sabbath/iron_man_ver2_tab.htm

coww-cho!!!!!
05-28-2008, 01:35 AM
there are other notes to watch out too like hammer ons and such which that could be your case it could either be a harmonic but mostly guitar tabs have an "H" meaning hammer-on it has like a 4-h5 so have finger on 4th fret and hammer the 5th fret meaning keep index finger on 4 and when you pluck the string "hammer/ hard tap" your middle finger onto the 5th fret

heres a site to help you
http://www.start-playing-guitar.com/guitar-tab.html

oh and heres my current guitar, they dont make it no mo

http://robbinsmusic.com/catalog/images/jtk1.jpg

just1pepsi
05-28-2008, 05:36 AM
I've been playing for 12 years now.. wow.. I seriously had not thought about it. My BEST advice having done this the hard way, *in no particular order:

1 - Keep your guitar in tune (*seems obvious, but you'd be surprised)
2- You dont necessarily have to learn music, but you do need to learn scales.
3- Practice playing by ear, minimize playing with tablature, play along w/ records, cds, the radio, etc. -- even if you arent even close at first, you will eventually start picking up on it. (*especially if you already know scales)
4 - Set aside time everyday to practice scales and/or licks or whatever you need to get your chops up with.
5 - Practice playing with a metronome
6- Go find this video by John Petrucci
http://www.amazon.com/John-Petrucci-Rock-Discipline/dp/B00006L57W

That video is great, and it teaches you some excellent practice techniques and exercises. Its still expensive, but trust me it is worth it, and if you lay down the foundation properly starting now, you will be much much better in a far shorter length of time.

Also, alot of guys get all bent out of shape about their equipment at a certain point. You will too, remember this though:
If a guitar sounds beautiful unplugged it can sound beautiful plugged in. If it sounds like shit unplugged, it will never sound beautiful plugged in.
You can fix crappy electronics, but not crappy materials and worksmanship.

jibanez
05-28-2008, 08:27 AM
as long as you dont start playing emo music, its all good ;)

murda-c
05-28-2008, 08:44 AM
I haven't been playing that long, i kinda suck, but i've got a cool guitar, haha.

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM04/Content/Ibanez/PR/JTK2BS-sm.jpg

buku_points
05-28-2008, 08:56 AM
ive been playing for about 7 years now. i play atleast 4-5 times a week for about 2 hours each session. i own a custom charvel w/ a strat body, active 85 EMG pick up and two semore duncan hot rails. Learn chords, scales, apreggios and in no time you can turn into this guy! hahahahaha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb5QaCfm7bg&feature=related

just1pepsi
05-28-2008, 09:02 AM
so how are you running an emg 85 and two seymour duncans exactly?

jibanez
05-28-2008, 09:12 AM
ive been playing for about 7 years now. i play atleast 4-5 times a week for about 2 hours each session. i own a custom charvel w/ a strat body, active 85 EMG pick up and two semore duncan hot rails. Learn chords, scales, apreggios and in no time you can turn into this guy! hahahahaha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb5QaCfm7bg&feature=related

god i hate michael angelo dude thinks its still the 80's or something.
yeah speed kills.
your career that is.

IIIXziuR
05-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Cool. A lot of cats on here play guitar and I didn't even know.
I like to play for fun in my spare time and jam on some old school stuff.
The more you practice the better you will get but, the main thing IMO is to have fun when doing it!!!

...speaking of which I need to pick up guitar again and get some practice in

SHRED SHRED SHRED

ESmorz
05-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Everyone and their mom "plays" guitar.

I play the drums. I don't have the finger coordination or the drive to care about guitar. Only thing I can play is the beginning of "Redemption Song", "Smoke On Water", and heavy ass breakdowns lol

downshift_sideways
05-28-2008, 10:01 AM
I used to own a WARLOCK...I ended up breaking 2 strings one day on stage..

got pissed. And slammed it...It was the closing song.

Damn Alcohol!

coww-cho!!!!!
05-28-2008, 10:05 AM
listening to yngwie malmsteen, john petrucci, steve vai, made me think i cant play for shit haha, but on the othere hand there virtouso artist thats what there good at
i wish i learned to play the blue,jazz, spanish classical guitar, and my scales

definitely learn the scales and and chord setups before its too late

dert420sx
05-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Hey whats up, recently started playing the guitar like 5 min ago! I wonder if anyone has been playing the guitar for a while now. How much practice and stuff it took you to get to where you're at. I'll start off with what I can do so far and how long it took me... I can play the intro to Iron Man, it took me 2 min to understand tabs and such frets, chords, and tuning and stuff. Not fully understanding it but getting there. About 2 min to try and sound out the Iron Man intro. Sounds sweet, didn't know my fingers can make such noise. =]

If you can post a video of what you can do.

that dive-bomb style intro to iron man is played by pressing the E (the heavy 6th) string above the first fret, just under where the string wraps around the peg, pluck the E string and gradually release it to get that warped sound. if you play your amp really loud you could even get it to feedback like tony iommi

btw, i've played guitar since i was 9, played in a few bands since and play bass, drums and keys. now, i just play at church when i can. best advice in order: learn chords, learn scales, then learn a little music theory (for when you wanna start writing your own stuff).

and every musician's friend are his/her ears. try to learn stuff by ear by sitting in front of a radio and just jamming along.

gl with the music!

low and slow
05-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Practice, practice, practice, and practice some more.

That, and like someone said above, learn to read sheet music. I've been playing since middle school (haven't lately, though, guitar and shit is at home, I'm at school), but I have an acoustic here that I like to fuck around on every once in awhile.

fromxtor
05-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Learn now before you get all kinds of bad habits like I do(self taught), it's not so bad because i play bass and have a BA guitar.

hippo_chips
05-28-2008, 04:42 PM
been playing for 5 years, i love it. I play a black SG

words of advice. dont just learn with tabs. you should really learn to read music, get some books and stuff. learn your scales and everything and you'll be able to see shapes and patterns in your playing. it really helps when you want to make up your own stuff, and if you play by ear and all that neat stuff.

i didnt do any of that, i taught myself to play using tabs. i can recreate almost any song, but when it comes to making my own songs, i suck... i want to take lessons or something to actually learn how to PLAY instead of just copying.WEIRD. I also taught myself, played the same years, can somewhat play by ear, and want to give the same advice. Only difference: my SG is red:eek3:. But these days, I just play acoustic, cause im too lazy to plug in.

origin_s135
05-28-2008, 06:37 PM
i've been playing the acoustic for like a year or two, but it's been off and on. i have alot of time in my hand but i always use that time to play freakin' xbox. i'll get back on it asap; chicks love it!

buku_points
05-28-2008, 06:54 PM
so how are you running an emg 85 and two seymour duncans exactly?

like this
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/bukupoints/charvel.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/bukupoints/charvel1.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/bukupoints/Charvel2.jpg

BBSilvia
05-28-2008, 07:03 PM
been playing for about a year on and off i own a washburn its green and cool

dmragecm
05-28-2008, 09:49 PM
sweeet a guitar players thread! Ive been playing for 6 years on and off. I used to have a schecter s1+ w/ fender prosonic head(god) and a crappy crate 4x12 cab. it used to sound fuckin sweet. too bad i sold all that stuff, but im lookin to get some new stuff after i finish building my sr.

best advice i can give u is play, play, play, and read, read, read. learn your scales and just play what you feel. i just play what i hear in my head. explore the the fret board and learn your octaves. Practice stretching your fingers out on the fretboard. Its something I still do but when your beginning it really helps getting your fingers comfortable with playing. Alot beginners have a hard time pressing down and positioning their fingers. Stick to it man its fuckin awesome.

kingkilburn
05-28-2008, 10:31 PM
I've been playing for about 7 years now. I like to play rock/metal but I want to learn blues.

I own an Ibanez artcore, another Ibanez electric, a sweet Korean acoustic, and a reverse Thunderbird bass. I want to get a white and gold triple pickup sg and a firebird but I'm not made of money.

The best advice I can give you is to resist all temptation and DON'T play rock or punk. learn to fret notes and scales then learn chords. Ounce you figure that out it is easy to play contemporary music. The only exception to that is stuff like Red Hot Chili Peppers or John Mayer, actual musicians not just guys who play guitar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/kingkilburn/guitars1aspx.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/kingkilburn/guitars2aspx.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/kingkilburn/pixelROCK.gif

Posi rep to the first to figure out what is on my pillow case(next to the bed).

just1pepsi
05-29-2008, 06:18 AM
looks like care-bears.

I diddnt mean I wanted a pic, I meant how (did you install them) - Now, I'll assume you got the guitar that way or had a shop do it.

buku_points
05-29-2008, 08:49 AM
looks like care-bears.

I diddnt mean I wanted a pic, I meant how (did you install them) - Now, I'll assume you got the guitar that way or had a shop do it.

oh, the guitar originally came semore duncan's (low mids and highs) i was gonna replace it with a semore duncan blackout, but no one carries them anymore, so i bought the emg ripped out the old semore and 30 minutes later i had a emg, its not hard to wire new pick ups in. i had practice with my little brothers strat. next im changing out my head stock for a maple neck, rose wood is so ehhhh.

1ZlowZ
09-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Its probably not worth bumping my 4 month old thread but I think its better than making a new one of the same topic. Anyways, I got me a new guitar amp and speakers. I've been practicing about 2 hours a day tell me what you guys think of this so far.

I know I mess up, but still more video's to come. All my videos have mistakes.

EDIT: Stupid me forgot to add link

Here you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akEXEthWB1U&feature=user

s13poop
09-16-2008, 11:14 AM
been a musician for 7 years now

been playing guitar and bass for 6 years

getting more into drums in the last 2 years

just bought a new bass last month

1960's fender mustang in vintage white with brown tortise shell pickguard
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/product/6e03d5433e4126fa2f965b50fc1c6535.jpg

here's me at a show
http://a155.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/59/l_19b8ed499d9dcaf44307fd2ac2265752.jpg

here's my guitars

epiphone les paul custom in alpine white with black pickguard and gold hardware
http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/ep/epiphone-les-paul-custom-alpine-white.jpg

squier stratocastor vintage white with red tortise shell pickguard
http://www.activemusician.com/images/store/small/EM_030-1200-505.gif

R.I.P my ibanez artcore af75d (broke)
http://medias.milongamusic.com/Photos/Zoom/110852Z.jpg

and my acoustic

run of the mill squier acoustic
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/7/3/5/489735.jpg

i play anything from funk, blues, jazz, punk, hardcore, ska ect ect...

1ZlowZ
09-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Nice guitars I only have one right now Ibanez RG120 no pictures of mines, but its black and scratches everywhere I got it used.

IIIXziuR
09-17-2008, 06:00 AM
Nice Epi Les Paul.
I always liked the Alpine White w/ Gold Hardware Combo.

s13poop
09-17-2008, 11:51 AM
^ yupp i'm a sucker for instruments with white finishes and a either tortise or black pickguard as you can tell :keke:

xtheenderx
09-17-2008, 12:26 PM
been playing for about a 1 1/2 years. I learned how to play the wrong way by learning tabs and chords only. i can find the notes on the fretboard rather slowly and I want to learn how to play scales. Any suggestions on where to start? I've searched on google to see if I could find a good tutorial site to learn the basics but there are words and phrases which I've never seen before like modes and how to understand scales and so forth. Its hard to follow along if I dont understand something. Can anyone recommend a good tutorial site where they elaborate on the things that they explain or a beginner beginner's guide perhaps? I reeeeally want to know how to play scales. Rock and Blues to start with hopefully

1ZlowZ
09-17-2008, 12:42 PM
been playing for about a 1 1/2 years. I learned how to play the wrong way by learning tabs and chords only. i can find the notes on the fretboard rather slowly and I want to learn how to play scales. Any suggestions on where to start? I've searched on google to see if I could find a good tutorial site to learn the basics but there are words and phrases which I've never seen before like modes and how to understand scales and so forth. Its hard to follow along if I dont understand something. Can anyone recommend a good tutorial site where they elaborate on the things that they explain or a beginner beginner's guide perhaps? I reeeeally want to know how to play scales. Rock and Blues to start with hopefully

I've been using this site to learn the scales. Hope it helps!

http://www.chordbook.com/guitarscales.php

1ZlowZ
09-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Hey guys I didn't want to start another thread so I'd bring my old one. I've made some progress, I quit a while ago and decided to get going on the guitar again. I quit like 4-5 months in and started again like 1-2 months ago. LMK what you think, some advice for a noob guitarist.

00z65aSjeVQ

dert420sx
10-01-2009, 07:35 PM
been playing guitar since i was around 9. still not paid to do it though. played in quite a few bands that never got much exposure but it was still fun.

alright don't laugh at the song...i got sucked into playing farmville. and after playing it almost all day at work then hearing the melody at home when my gf is farming, the song finally ingrained itself in my head and i just had to mash it on guitar.

i made two vids, one of my old 85 ibanez rx and another playing the same song on my roommate's vintage '67 fender tele with maple neck.

T5SvJhOlAVo

Mx2h7g2f2q4

not too bad, i think. i just learned it by ear after having heard the song enough times. Fmaj scale, i think. played thru 50W marshall avt50 combo.

Bubbles
10-01-2009, 09:07 PM
You can't play while wearing sandals.

It breaks some sort of rule.

Andrew Bohan
10-02-2009, 01:05 AM
you can also turn off the music in farmville. i did that on the first day. i don't even remember how the music goes

lol

silharo
10-02-2009, 05:24 PM
I've only been playing the guitar for 3 years but it's been pretty good to me. I still feel limited, though; I have a much easier time building up chords on keys.

I don't know about you, but the single most useful thing to me, not just for playing the guitar but for any instrument, has been a solid understanding of music theory. Listening to a lot of jazz has also helped me develop my "ear".

sb253
10-03-2009, 12:56 AM
Posi rep to the first to figure out what is on my pillow case(next to the bed).

Wuzzles.

Holy old thread
ive been playing guitar sine I was like 6. Still just play drunk jam style. All you need is your acoustic

:bigok:

IIIXziuR
10-03-2009, 09:33 AM
guitar is fun.