PDA

View Full Version : Just Bought a 95 240 with sr20det. NEED HELP

uknowmehfo
05-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Where to start............one of my good friends was given this car for free. frozen up ka in it. well he ordered a sr20det full swap and did it himself (very smart guy he is when it comes to cars)... well he got bored and over 8 months of him getting the car the first month he installed the engine and then stopped....... then 2 months after that he started back for maybe a week. then it just sat..... til 2 days ago he said hey i am moving (out of the blue) said he was bored here and he just left. well here it is.............

he gave me the option of buying this car RUNNING (not good but running) for 3grand. i have given him half and will give him half later i know it is a good investment. BUT i have looked all over the internet for the past 2 days and i have bookmarked so much stuff and read it's not even funny. i just need people that has already done the swap and know what to expect and what i should check for right off the bat.

1995 240
base model
no interior (1 driver seat,dash,gauges, just about it ) he was going to make it a dragstreet car
sr20det (s14 black top)
steal breaded turbo lines
HKS GT-RS turbo
HKS type-h BOV
iridium plugs
Big Front Mount hybrid intercooler
new wiring harness (old one was burnt up)
nismo clutch
350z wheels/tires
300zx fuel filter
walbro 255 fuel pump
hks downpipe full 3" exhaust
3inch exhaust Greddy
Grid ECU (grid.co.jp)
tein springs
tekeio struts

on a modd'ed car it's always hard going behind people.

windows do not work
no headlights
no interior..

basically i am going to have to build this car.

what all should i get? i know the choice is up to me and this is my 1ST post so do not flame/bash me to bad i am here for help.

i need to hook up the fan so it does not overheat
and i need injectors (what size?)
z32 MAFS & Adaptor

can someone throw me out there what i need? or should get right now it is cutting off because it is set to 9psi and it is overpowering the MAFS and it just cuts off.

i am trying to put a list together so i can start buying
turbo timer
fuel pressure regulator
wideband o2
boost controler
headlights
corner lights (blinkers)
rims(comes later)
tires (comes later)
NO ac (i need a compressor what type)
rotors
break pads
5 lug conversion (comes later)
s15 silvia conversion (comes later)
racing seats (just whatever i can afford right now)
molded carpet (ebay)
rear seat (a forum/ebay)

can you guys just add to the list because i need it whole/running before i do alot of body mods/conversions/upgrades......

but for 3grand ....... running/ already swapped

downshift_sideways
05-27-2008, 09:29 PM
That is a great deal...

s14 prices range from 3k-8k depending on years. (STOCK)

Your GT-RS turbo alone is 1/3th of the price of the car.

Thats a steal...Just to let you know.

JRas
05-27-2008, 09:32 PM
good deal

I'm a bit confused, you said 350z wheels, which are 5 lug...yet you have 5 lug conversion in the buying list?

tylerrussell
05-27-2008, 09:36 PM
good deal

I'm a bit confused, you said 350z wheels, which are 5 lug...yet you have 5 lug conversion in the buying list?

maybe he doesnt have the 5 lug to use them, just the wheels? just throwin' ideas out there lol

dmragecm
05-27-2008, 09:37 PM
I wouldnt say you'd have to "build" much, everythings pretty much there. You'll make some nice numbers with the rs. I dont know what youve previously owned but 300whp in an s14 is FUN. 550cc injectors will get the job done. Headlights and corners lights are very easy to find. SEARCH the forums, ebay, or a local junkyard. MBC is pretty cheap unless you wanna get an electronic boost controller which will be a couple hundred for a new one. AEM TRUE BOOST is a boost controller and gauge in one and AEM UEGO is a good wideband. Z32 maf is a def and also easy to find

Im confused you say you have 350z wheels but you wanna go 5 lug. pretty sure z wheels are 5 lug

nissanguy13
05-27-2008, 09:40 PM
It's just my opinion but you are going to sink too much money in that car. I know most people don't care how much they sink into these cars because they don't plan on selling them and it's their passion, to include me. But you are about to pay $3,000 for pretty much a shell with a running sr in it. For a couple more grand you can buy a clean one with an sr. Then you wouldn't have to worry about replacing interior, headlights etc. Sr's are not hard to find or expensive anymore, and the car doesn't have anything special on it. If I were you I would find a clean stock one and start from scratch so that way you'll know exactly what's been done to it and you can customize it. Or at least buy a clean one with the stock sr swap done on it.

Oh and please don't put an s15 front end on that car, it's just nasty.

uknowmehfo
05-27-2008, 09:46 PM
good deal

i have stocky's on there...... they are like 14's or something hub caps. but he gave me 350z wheels and tires too. and a anti-lag setup (whatever the hell that is) ... this is my 2nd boosted car first one was a 2nd gen gs-t eclipse.

dmragecm
05-27-2008, 09:53 PM
Oh and please don't put an s15 front end on that car, it's just nasty.

Agreed. S15 front ends belong on S15s. Put personal preference is personal preference

Its worth putting a couple grand into it, if that. interior stuff and headlights are not hard to find. Ive had stock brakes on my sr s14 for awhile, not the best but they were ok for daily driving. I upgraded to z32 brakes and theyre defiantely worth it. 5 lug really isnt worth it unless you wanna expand your choice of wheels but you can always find wheels that are drilled for 4 and 5 lug.

uknowmehfo
05-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Headlights and corners lights are very easy to find. SEARCH the forums, ebay, or a local junkyard.

yeah i just bought it . he gave it to me before i paid him in full. he does not really care to much. i am going to put some money into it. i am about to buy 300zx adaptor and z32 MAFS

i have looked on the forums and ebay. man OEM lights are a shyt ton. i found left headlight for 100 and right for 100 on www.car-parts.com (http://www.car-parts.com) none are near me. so i will have to call them to ship i am trying to find something cheaper but looks decent i do not want any APC looking stuff.

this is going to be a little play toy. hopefully i can keep up with my homeboy cobra and other friend evo 8 (doubt the evo he runs high 11's)... but in time i might be able to.

uknowmehfo
05-28-2008, 01:22 AM
thanks for the imput. i belive i am getting a pretty good car for 3grand with alot of upgrades. just need to wire the rad. fan up and probably fix a couple of hose leaks. also has LSD and a few other things i am missing.

i just need some more imput. my friend i got it from said i need a z32 MAFS and 740 injectors. the engine is not built . it is stock with upgraded turbo and intercooler and bov ........ i want it running right then upgrade.

MangoDorifto
05-28-2008, 02:22 PM
what is your grid ecu tuned for? throwing a Z32 MAF and 740's at it isn't going to correct your problem, if anything it'll make your problems worse.

was it running 100% before all the BPU? if you don't know, i'd start with the simple stuff before tossing more cash at it. It'll save your hard earned cash and much headaches later down the line. Check all your wiring, boost leaks, vacuum leaks.. Just download the FSM and get to work!

Sileighty_85
05-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Ok so what is your Air/Fuel Set up?
So far its

Stock MAF, Bigger Turbo, and a Grid ECU? (hells that?)

What Size Injectors are in it?
What is the ECU tuned for? Ex. Z32 Maf & 740cc's??

You cant just slap on a Z32 and bigger injectors unless the ECU is Tuned for them

Future240
05-28-2008, 03:07 PM
yeah i just bought it . he gave it to me before i paid him in full. he does not really care to much. i am going to put some money into it. i am about to buy 300zx adaptor and z32 MAFS

i have looked on the forums and ebay. man OEM lights are a shyt ton. i found left headlight for 100 and right for 100 on www.car-parts.com (http://www.car-parts.com) none are near me. so i will have to call them to ship i am trying to find something cheaper but looks decent i do not want any APC looking stuff

Unless you have a hookup, S15 headlights are much more expensive than that. If this isnt your dd, then why not juss wait till you can get the ones you ultimately want, instead of buyin headlights twice. and btw most times the s15 conversion looks good from the front, but off, from the sides. i would suggest a kouki conversion. GL with the build

uknowmehfo
05-28-2008, 04:18 PM
thanks guys for imput. well it's hard going behind someone. i have not looked at it yet. i am not jumping into anything yet.

s13 MAFS (what i am told)
stock injectors on the sr20

i just want 350hp to the wheels or so.

right now it runs just need to hook up fan
check vac leaks
check air leaks
check the hardpipe
compression test wil come soon (pics of everything will come just need time to do everything)

i do not know what the ECU is programmed for. but he gave me the eprom programmer. but i do not have softwear and i have no damn clue on how to do it.

as far as headlights. i want the kouki front i belive. i just need some cheap headlights right now. later down the road, full conversion,paint, wide wheels, right now i am just trying to get it running right then the aftermarket mods will come.

WangonwWarrior
05-28-2008, 04:23 PM
No man, dont buy it..... i want it LOL

Sileighty_85
05-28-2008, 04:58 PM
s13 MAFS (what i am told)
stock injectors on the sr20
I dont think the S13 and S14 MAFS are innerchangeable

if your running a bigger turbo and its breaking up under boost your probably Maxin out the injectors too even if its only 9psi

Im runin lean with my 370's and im only pushin .8bar on a T-28

i just want 350hp to the wheels or so.

you shouldnt have a problem with that turbo

i do not know what the ECU is programmed for. but he gave me the eprom programmer. but i do not have softwear and i have no damn clue on how to do it.

well get some 550's or 740's wire up the Z32 MAF and trailier to a tuner,

uknowmehfo
05-28-2008, 07:33 PM
I dont think the S13 and S14 MAFS are innerchangeable

well get some 550's or 740's wire up the Z32 MAF and trailier to a tuner,

i am thinking 740 side feed (he told me to get those) and z32 mafs

he put a adaptor on there with a different MAFS and it does what my old GST use to do when i hit little past 18psi. fuel cut. just a rocket then nothing. but i need to wire stuff up and get a few things right then get it tuned.

i have searched for lights just cant really find any... .anyone?

Sileighty_85
05-28-2008, 08:12 PM
he put a adaptor on there with a different MAFS and it does what my old GST use to do when i hit little past 18psi. fuel cut. just a rocket then nothing. but i need to wire stuff up and get a few things right then get it tuned.

Electronically i dont think they are innerchangeable

i have searched for lights just cant really find any... .anyone?

http://www.thenismoshop.com/ikorb.php?func=catalog&category_id=953

downshift_sideways
05-28-2008, 08:16 PM
right now it runs just need to hook up fan
check vac leaks
check air leaks
check the hardpipe
compression test wil come soon (pics of everything will come just need time to do everything)

Compression test is your #1 concern.

You don't want to buy a lemon.

8-Bit Riot
05-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Save a good chunk of cash and keep a keen eye on your local salvage yards for all the interior and lighting parts you need.
I check in on all my local salvage yards periodically even when I'm not looking for anything...just in case.

uknowmehfo
05-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Save a good chunk of cash and keep a keen eye on your local salvage yards for all the interior and lighting parts you need.
I check in on all my local salvage yards periodically even when I'm not looking for anything...just in case.
i hear ya on that... i just not have had the time ya know. work/bills/sleep ... then this weekend i will have time to get ahold of everything

yes compression test will happen tomm. i will take pics and post up.