PDA

View Full Version : ANYBODY who has been on a plane recently!!!

Jimmy Up
05-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Ok, so my lady's 21st birthday is coming up on the 5th of June and she is always talking about doing something fun and adventurous (stay focused guys, BIRTHDAY) so I am ready to book a flight that goes up to San Fran where we have 3 1/2 hours, then over to vegas where we have 4 hours then come back home at midnight.

I just want to surprise her with breakfast cooked by yours trully here, lunch in Frisco, and dinner with a gandola ride in Vegas. We only have this one day that our schedules will allow and it's her 21st so I want to do something proper haha.

Ive only been on a plane once and it was about 7 years ago.

We will have NO LUGGAGE (should cut down some time, right?), just the clothes we are wearing and some money on my part. Is it possible to have some relaxing meals and make it back onto the planes that we need to be on with the alotted time??

HELP ME OUT!!!!

Thanks guys,
Mike

Here is the flight I'm looking at...

Leave
Thu, Jun 5

United Airlines 6423
operated by UNITED EXPRESS/SKYWEST AIRLINES

http://www.orbitz.com/shared/img/logos/air/UA.gifDepart: 1:29pm Arrive: 2:46pm Ontario, CA (ONT)
San Francisco, CA (SFO)

1 stop

<LI class=first>Economy
1hr 17min
Canadair
View seats (http://www.orbitz.com/App/PrepareSeatMapsSearchResults?version=1&selectIndex=12&sliceNum=1&segmentNum=1&action=purchase&carrier=00&z=f5df&r=5l)
Change planes. Time between flights: 3hr 35min

United Airlines 1550
operated by UNITED FOR TED

http://www.orbitz.com/shared/img/logos/air/UA.gifDepart: 6:21pm Arrive: 7:55pm San Francisco, CA (SFO)
Las Vegas, NV (LAS)

<LI class=first>Economy
1hr 34min
Airbus A32S
View seats (http://www.orbitz.com/App/PrepareSeatMapsSearchResults?version=1&selectIndex=12&sliceNum=1&segmentNum=2&action=purchase&carrier=00&z=f5e0&r=5m)Total duration: 6hr 26min

Choose this return (http://www.orbitz.com/App/ValidateAnchoredLFSSearchRequest?version=1&sliceNum=2&selectIndex=12&z=f5e1&r=5n)

Return
Thu, Jun 5

US Airways 636

http://www.orbitz.com/shared/img/logos/air/US.gifDepart: 11:58pm Arrive: 1:00am Las Vegas, NV (LAS)
Ontario, CA (ONT)
Non-stop

<LI class=first>Economy
1hr 2min
Airbus A320
View seats (http://www.orbitz.com/App/PrepareSeatMapsSearchResults?version=1&selectIndex=12&sliceNum=2&segmentNum=1&action=purchase&carrier=00&z=f5e2&r=5o)
This is an overnight flight.

05-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Easily do able... i would make your reservations so you don't have to wait for any lines just to make sure. Look up the addresses of the places you would like to go and check the distance from the airport to that location. Just do the math and you should be able to figure it out. Keep in mind for the departing flight at 6:21pm you might hit rush hour traffic on the way to the airport.... or at least the tail end of it. Like I said... this is very do able.

Jimmy Up
05-26-2008, 10:51 PM
right on, so getting on/off times arent THAT bad then??

05-26-2008, 11:00 PM
right on, so getting on/off times arent THAT bad then??

Not at all ... and since your not carrying any luggage you can jump in a cab practically 10 mins after you land.

Jimmy Up
05-26-2008, 11:05 PM
nice, booking these right now, Thanks man

edit: +rep when it allows it haha

05-26-2008, 11:36 PM
nice, booking these right now, Thanks man

edit: +rep when it allows it haha

I hope you guys have a good time!

infinitexsound
05-26-2008, 11:38 PM
oyy vay thats alot of flying in one day.... why not stay in one city over nite....

Jimmy Up
05-26-2008, 11:40 PM
cause its gotta be a one day thing, because we both have to be at work in the morning and I think that going to both and being on the hustle is pretty adventurous haha

05-26-2008, 11:59 PM
oyy vay thats alot of flying in one day.... why not stay in one city over nite....

It's only 4 hours or so . Not bad considering you'd be in totally different places all in one day.

touge monster
05-27-2008, 12:01 AM
Sounds good dude, just make sure you plan everything out and have a plan B!

mRclARK1
05-27-2008, 12:02 AM
That'll work... just don't miss a flight. lol

Jimmy Up
05-27-2008, 12:19 AM
Not bad considering you'd be in totally different places all in one day.

Thats what I am getting a kick out of

Sounds good dude, just make sure you plan everything out and have a plan B!

nah... I Jimmy Up EVERY TIME, hahahaha- really.

That'll work... just don't miss a flight. lol

Biggest concern for me, actually my only concern. We'll see though

ayuaddict
05-27-2008, 12:19 AM
i dont know, but that sounds like hella fun.

LongGrain
05-27-2008, 12:23 AM
sounds like a lot of fun

but remember, they say to get to the airport like 2 hours before your flight to allow time to get through security, sometimes it does actually take that long.

Jimmy Up
05-27-2008, 12:25 AM
with no bags... I will still have to wait in that fatty ass line of everybody WITH bags though huh?

05-27-2008, 12:30 AM
sounds like a lot of fun

but remember, they say to get to the airport like 2 hours before your flight to allow time to get through security, sometimes it does actually take that long.

Not for domestic flights... if he was traveling out of the country through an international terminal then yes... 2 hours before your flight is recommended... but in his case it's not really necessary. 45 min to an hour before your flight is what I would recommend.

See if you can check in online in order to skip lines... if you have an iphone... you could do this in the cab ride to the airport... even with that being said... i can't imagine the lines being long and hectic.

Andrew Bohan
05-27-2008, 12:30 AM
depending on airline and airport, you could do self check-in at a computer and not have to wait for people checking bags

security is another story though.

Jimmy Up
05-27-2008, 12:33 AM
I'll make sure not to look like Mr. "youve been randomly selected, we want to fondle your girlfirend" guy. A lot of variables are needing to line up for me on this one.

Helghast
05-27-2008, 12:37 AM
I know Delta does a self check-in.
Check in, get boarding pass, fly through the security.
Security is CAKE on domestic flights.
Unhook the belt, untie the shoes, shit's all dandy.

I MIGHT JUST HAVE TO STEAL THIS IDEA.
= )

Good luck with errrthing tho.

Andrew Bohan
05-27-2008, 12:38 AM
my dad took like 4 flights one weekend for business. he kept getting "randomly" selected until he drank the can of coke that was in his bag.

they sure look for some weird stuff.

i got my bag searched once to make sure my tripod wasn't a bomb.

and they used to make you push a button on your cell phone. but i haven't seen that since BEFORE 9/11

an_orange_s2k
05-27-2008, 12:40 AM
i dont kno how much united is but Virgin american is only $135/person. heres the link: http://www.virginamerica.com/va/OWHomeFlightSearch.do;jsessionid=EB5AF66DDB4E3AFF0 631A51B0AD145E1

too bad your not going on the 4th, it woulda been only $73 from sf to vegas. hope this saves you something so u can spend it on the day of.

edit: virgin air does self check too, and the plane is hella cool. everyone gets their own little monitor with tons of music videos, tv shows, movies, and games

fliprayzin240sx
05-27-2008, 12:45 AM
depending on airline and airport, you could do self check-in at a computer and not have to wait for people checking bags

security is another story though.

Its frisko, whats the chance that 3 hrs is gonna be enough to get from SFO to Frisko to do something and make it back to make your flight out of SFO. Here's the kicker, all this during RUSH HOUR!!!

Only flying chance you have imho is BART, jump into a bart, get off somewhere that has a good restaurant, eat quick, get the fuck out and jump back into that bart back to SFO...only thing is I dont know where BART goes and whats good thats close to a BART station...

Bart or somebody have a good eating place thats within spitball away from the airport...again the time he hits SFO is 5PM on a thursday, I can only imagine how fucking horrible it is around that area during rush hour...im sure more norcal peeps will chime in.

an_orange_s2k
05-27-2008, 12:53 AM
^^^brings up a good point, your idea sounds awesome and all, but realistically i'd prolly stick to just one city, or places closer

240love^_^
05-27-2008, 01:03 AM
Sounds like fun!!!

Taxi's are everywhere. So it shouldn't be too bad as long as you make reservations at a restaurant not too far from the airport.

Whenever I'm traveling I find it the easiest/quickest to go through Self-Check In. I usually can make it through security and all that within a good 20-30 min because I pack my luggage accordingly.(i.e. Makeup/lotions in plastic baggies...shoes... sweaters...belts off before you walk up to security). Makes things go a lot faster. If you're not bringing any luggage with you it should be relatively easy to get on and off the plane.

Hope all works out and you guys have a good time!!! :]

EDIT: And then there was traffic....
Agreed
I'd say eat at a place 5 minutes away or just stick to one city. BART can take a while sometimes. :[

Helghast
05-27-2008, 01:25 AM
Being in Traffic just makes everything THAT MORE EXCITING.

Make Reservations.
Have Taxi's Waiting for you outside airport.
Taxi after dinner.

fliprayzin240sx
05-27-2008, 02:24 AM
Dood, have you ever driven down hwy 101 thru downtown LA during the peak of rush hour? Its worst than that since 101 is the only main artery up and down that side of the bay and your heading towards the bay bridge...unless something has changed, it took me 2.5 hrs to get from SFO to the other side of bay bridge after dropping somebody off at the airport.

ayuaddict
05-27-2008, 02:29 AM
the bay bridge is in downtown LA?

=P

and yes, 101 sucks ass even in San Jose.

Jimmy Up
05-27-2008, 08:09 AM
damn- how about WALKING distance from the airport?

Matej
05-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Just hope your flights don't get delayed!

Rnz520
05-27-2008, 09:02 AM
One thing, dont forget about time changes and the fact that they are international flights, so they take a little longer. I just went on an international flight in January and you have to be there a couple of hours before departure. So good luck, plan accordingly and hope for no delays :).

pbcstylez
05-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Its frisko, whats the chance that 3 hrs is gonna be enough to get from SFO to Frisko to do something and make it back to make your flight out of SFO. Here's the kicker, all this during RUSH HOUR!!!

Only flying chance you have imho is BART, jump into a bart, get off somewhere that has a good restaurant, eat quick, get the fuck out and jump back into that bart back to SFO...only thing is I dont know where BART goes and whats good thats close to a BART station...

Bart or somebody have a good eating place thats within spitball away from the airport...again the time he hits SFO is 5PM on a thursday, I can only imagine how fucking horrible it is around that area during rush hour...im sure more norcal peeps will chime in.

Ray hit this shit right on the nail.... learn to use BART... look up BART and decide on a restaurant that you can TAXI from the BART.... also give yourself 1.5 hour for security checkin minimum... BART from SFO to Downtown SF will be roughly 20-30min each way.... All this into consideration you only have 1 hour to eat and run... also the TAXI to and from the restaurant is time you need to consider as well.

Most of all have fun!

Andrew Bohan
05-27-2008, 04:12 PM
or eat at one of the many fine establishments IN the airport :coold:

luisgonz
05-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Can I go.lol J/k

Ian
05-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Awesome fucking plan dude...

GOOD LUCK! I hope it all works out exactly as planned

S13_Nightkid
05-27-2008, 05:15 PM
You should be fine. Just be glad you guys don't have extremely shitty weather like on the East coast that causes delayss

pbcstylez
05-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Can I go.lol J/k

sure luis, take the amtrak up here, u can stay at anthony's and do some fab work for me haha

touge monster
05-27-2008, 11:04 PM
nah... I Jimmy Up EVERY TIME, hahahaha- really.

Better safe then sorry brotha. Good luck and have fun! :rawk:

yudalicious
05-27-2008, 11:30 PM
1pm on thurs afternoon. I'm really not sure about that, not really my home airport so I wouldn't know. For some airlines you have to check in 30-40 min before on domestic flights - if you're late, then won't even let you check in. So... the way I see there's going to be a decent amount of downtime at the airport, and airports do have a way of getting on everyone's nerves. But cool idea man, good luck on getting it done!

05-28-2008, 12:11 AM
or eat at one of the many fine establishments IN the airport :coold:

Hey man... there's nothing wrong with the chinese food in airports... I always seem to enjoy that sloppy stuff every time I have it. :D

Jimmy Up
05-28-2008, 12:20 AM
Im thinking there might be TOO many factors, and it might make it more of a hassle than an adventure...

Andrew Bohan
05-28-2008, 12:40 AM
Hey man... there's nothing wrong with the chinese food in airports... I always seem to enjoy that sloppy stuff that comes out my ass every time I have it. :D

fixed for you

05-28-2008, 12:47 AM
fixed for you

... oops thanks for fixing that for me.

pr0ject TRUENO
05-28-2008, 12:48 AM
oooooo good idea im stealing this

haha

Andrew Bohan
05-28-2008, 12:48 AM
high five.

speaking of five, i kinda like those $5 burger king burgers at the airport

and $5 slices of pizza
and $5 bottles of water

Jimmy Up
05-28-2008, 12:49 AM
yea man, good catch- Anyways. I am thinking that I might have to get her breakfast on the go and take the 9:30 am flight out and get MORE time in BOTH places...

05-28-2008, 01:18 AM
yea man, good catch- Anyways. I am thinking that I might have to get her breakfast on the go and take the 9:30 am flight out and get MORE time in BOTH places...

Definitely... if you guys are stressed running around... you will lose all of the joy in the day.

Vision Garage
05-28-2008, 03:20 AM
Take her to fishermans wharf. Always a cool place. And I pray for you. I took my friend to the LAX and she her flight delayed for an hour and a half!

Rayne
05-28-2008, 04:08 AM
with no bags... I will still have to wait in that fatty ass line of everybody WITH bags though huh?

Only if you do not check in prior to leaving for the airport. If you do, all you have to do is print out your boarding passes and head straight for the security check point.

S14DB
05-28-2008, 06:23 AM
SFO: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=San+Francisco+airport+restaurants&ie=UTF8&ll=37.600088,-122.386322&spn=0.191223,0.306244&z=12
Vegas: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_en___US231&resnum=0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=restaurants&near=McCarran+Int%27l+Airport&fb=1&view=text&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=4&ct=more-results&cd=1#