PDA

View Full Version : 3" downpipes

luke91
11-30-2002, 04:39 PM
OK... here's a major newb question...

When I did my swap, I had no stock down pipe or exhaust.  I made the 3" downpipe and exhaust that are currently on my car.  When I made this custom exhaust, I just welded some 3" piping, bends, and flanges where I thought they needed to go.  

Now I want to re-make my exhaust components to fit in the stock locations.  Here's the newb question...

Do aftermarket downpipes (like blitz, greddy, hks) fit in between the "hot pipe" and cat, or do they by pass the cat entirely and bolt up the the stock exhaust?

Thanks

--luke

Jeff240sx
12-01-2002, 11:08 AM
I don't quite know what "hot pipe" you are talking about.  But I do have a KA-T, and a sr20det 3" downpipe on my car.
The manufactured ones connect with the tri-bolt flange to the KA stock header.  From pics, I think that the SR manifold drops to where the KA header was.  This should be immediatly connected to the catalytic convertor.  The 3" Trust (GReddy) downpipe replaced the cat, and all the piping up to the first resonator.  If you have any other questions (I didn't explain something well enough) just get a hold of me.
I think my answer was a little better than James's "yes."  So I will delete that on basis of stupidity.
-Jeff

s13zilvia
12-01-2002, 11:42 AM
Ok here is the order that the exhaust goes(in my silvia), first turbo, then down pipe, then CAT, or straight pipe, then the first section of the cat back unit, then the muffler. Now this is in japan so I am sure that it is diffrent, but I hope it helps.

DarkRaptor42
12-02-2002, 12:21 AM
why do i get the feeling that s13zilvia doesnt live in japan?

saru o tabemashyo?

uiuc240
12-02-2002, 08:58 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ok here is the order that the exhaust goes(in my silvia), first turbo, then down pipe, then CAT, or straight pipe, then the first section of the cat back unit, then the muffler. Now this is in japan so I am sure that it is diffrent, but I hope it helps.</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>

Here's a more detailed description:

Head
Manifold
Turbo
Outlet Elbow (02 housing)
Downpipe
Cat
Mid-pipe
Rear section (w/muffler)

from the cat to the muffler, it totally depends on your particular exhaust system. &nbsp;

Eric

luke91
12-02-2002, 09:03 PM
thanks. &nbsp;that's all i needed.

--luke