PDA

View Full Version : Only in Greensboro

johngriff
05-23-2008, 04:18 PM
http://consumerist.com/tag/crime/?i=5010716&t=keg-fraud-busted-for-puting-pricier-brand-labels-on-cheaper-beer

Ale agents... lol

eastcoastS14
05-23-2008, 04:29 PM
lol thats a felony?

azndoc
05-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Wow

Way too much time of their hands.

I'd understand if someones was putting poison in the keg, but different beer.

brndck
05-23-2008, 05:06 PM
cheap beer=poison.

Phlip
05-23-2008, 05:36 PM
In 5 weeks, I will have been in Greensboro 29 years...
In 5 weeks, I will have been of legal drinking age for 8 years...
The sad fact of the matter is that University General Store, situated on the corner of Mendenhall and Spring Garden streets, is one of like THREE places to get a keg in an almost 250k-resident city... I live less than 5 miles from the place and have for the majority of my legal drinking life and have NEVER gotten a keg from there (or anywhere else, for that matter).
I would be willing to bet that the same shit happens basically anywhere else you might go, when ordering beers that you can get away with it in, like a pilsner or a regular lager. Get into pale ales, amber/darker lagers, porters and stouts and you can't fudge it, period.
I do not accept the "only in Greensboro" in this shit, not one little bit.
Funny, though, is that I have NEVER heard of "ALE," I have always known alcohol to be handled by "ABC,"
Alcoholic Beverage Control, the main office for our entire county is actually 4 blocks from the place where this shit was taking place.

Pank
05-23-2008, 05:57 PM
You've never heard of the ALE? Alcohol Law Enforcement. They make sure bars have the correct permits, check for ID checking, underage drinking, stuff like that. They're a huge hassle when you're working behind the bar and they think they can walk behind the bar without showing ID.

also, this fucking CRACKED me up:

The ALE investigation also revealed that employees at Westerwood Tavern were selling Keystone Light beer from a tap, but representing the product to consumers as Coors Light, a more expensive beer.

Coors light is $1.50 on draft at my local bar.

Phlip
05-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Now that you mention it, I HAVE heard of, and met ALE before... One time they came into Ham's on High Point Rd. when it was new and were randomly flashing badges and demanding ID, it was nuts.

PhilthyS13
05-23-2008, 07:01 PM
The ALE investigation also revealed that employees at Westerwood Tavern were selling Keystone Light beer from a tap, but representing the product to consumers as Coors Light, a more expensive beer.

I believe Keystone technically is Coors Light. My friend is a brew master for Bud and he says if a batch isn't up to snuff, they just label it Natural/Natural Light. That's why 1) it's cheap 2) it's real inconsistent - sometimes decent, sometimes living up to it's "Nasty Light" name.

05-23-2008, 07:03 PM
Beer police... that's a great job to have.

carkid0007
05-23-2008, 11:43 PM
I was in Greensboro for a gaming tournament...It was alot of fun.

eastcoastS14
05-24-2008, 01:12 AM
keystone is coors....they relable coors in defective cans keystones

S14DB
05-24-2008, 08:41 AM
keystone is coors....they relable coors in defective cans keystones

How? Cans are labeled before they are filled.

DohcKA
05-24-2008, 09:14 AM
hahahahahaha.... i woulda been on the same joog... we gotta eat out here

johngriff
05-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Phlip sorry for the greensboro comment then, I was reading blogs @ work and thought of you..

Phlip
05-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Phlip sorry for the greensboro comment then, I was reading blogs @ work and thought of you..

No offense, I know you have better sense than to think that it is NOT happening worldwide, but I would rather not have the rest of these fucking chuckleheads thinking that the 3rd largest city in my great home state is the hotbed for this kind of fraud.

BustedS13
05-24-2008, 06:02 PM
rofl @ selling keystone as coors. that's like selling shit as shit with corn chunks

Phlip
05-24-2008, 06:04 PM
^^^ That is fucking HILARIOUS!!!
Let the record show that my next Keystone OR Coors will be my first ever of either.

**Opens another Yuengling**

BustedS13
05-24-2008, 06:14 PM
^^^ That is fucking HILARIOUS!!!
Let the record show that my next Keystone OR Coors will be my first ever of either.

**Opens another Yuengling**

they're both pretty awful. i don't know what beer prices are like around the country but a 30 of bud, bud light, or select is 16 bucks in STL. i don't get why you'd want to save two dollars and buy something that's undrinkable like PBR, keystone, natty, whatever

so gross