PDA

View Full Version : whos got DSL? got a few questions about broadband

HyperTek
05-22-2008, 10:45 PM
figure someone can help me, old house i have 5mb per second cable internet.. at the house im moving to, the isp doesnt service that area, and DSL prices are alot cheaper now..

The dsl experience i had was at my moms shop *i dont know exactly which package she has* but it sometimes goes down and needs the modem reset and it feels slower *yet that could be from her package speed*.

Since the new house we dont have a phone number there yet, no phone yet.. can i get DSL at that house without the phone ?? The cable internet at my old house is goin off on the 25th, and im not sure when we will get a phone at the new house since my folks are still workin on it but i might move over there first, and cant really live without internet.

Ive also noticed DSL packages now have speeds simular to cable now. is that any good?

Dousan_PG
05-22-2008, 10:49 PM
att u can
i use dsl ELITE speed from att.

its between 3to 6mpbs
its $35/mo

rigth now im getting 4mbps

so yeah its fine for me
ijust cruise the web
my buddies used to download w/ a max of 3mbps adn it was fine

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

but if ur moving into verizon area you'll get fucked and pay too much for too little
so hopefully you are moving intoa AT&T region!

HyperTek
05-22-2008, 11:18 PM
thanks
so i can get dsl without a phone service?

So yah i once had 3mb service then went to 5mb and paid extra with cable.. but if i recall, 3mb was fast enough, you can only download as fast as the server your downloading from will allow anyways..

If im out for a few days, ill prolly just pick up some cheap ass dial up til i get broad band

kyoru
05-22-2008, 11:26 PM
i've had DSL and cable, cable is always faster in my area. But DSL is much more reliable.

CKAMC
05-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Still need home phone service, even tho it will not run on the same line they just won't allow you to run it with out home phone

back in the day I has qwest via MSN (yeah msn dsl back in the day)

see if FiOS is avaliable, its about the same as cable but you get 15mb both download and upload speeds.

Dousan_PG
05-23-2008, 02:35 AM
not in CA
we can get DSl w/o home phone service.

CKAMC
05-23-2008, 03:26 AM
there you have it, i guess enough people complain in cali for that kinda shit to happen

SoguRacing
05-23-2008, 03:30 AM
cable speed have much higher upload speeds than dsl download speeds. even though dsl advertises faster download speeds you need to pay attention to the upload speed as well..it can have a major effect on overall performance. at&t all the way

projekt_s13
05-23-2008, 03:33 AM
So who has Dick Sucking Lips? lol i kid, i kid

Well yea like Dousan said you can get DSL without having a line from them.

LeftNutOfGowd
05-23-2008, 06:45 AM
What ever you do dont get SBC Yahoo there internet sucked, i had them for about a year and a half and i spent more time calling and talking to the customer service people then being on the internet lol. But now i have cable internet downloading at like 10mbps

stiizy
05-23-2008, 07:49 AM
So who has Dick Sucking Lips? lol i kid, i kid

Damn i was waiting for someone to say that..

just1pepsi
05-23-2008, 08:16 AM
I prefer Cable in my area because its cheaper in the long run (I dont have to sub to a land line, which I dont need) and its faster. In my area I get the "standard" cable internet package which is 45 + tax, and I get 7Mbps pretty regular, and they have "speed boost" which amps it up to about 20Mbps for large downloads.

kyoru
05-23-2008, 08:32 AM
Damn i was waiting for someone to say that.. Lol was thinking the same thing

O3DigitalBath
05-23-2008, 09:36 AM
cable speed have much higher upload speeds than dsl download speeds. even though dsl advertises faster download speeds you need to pay attention to the upload speed as well..it can have a major effect on overall performance. at&t all the way

some of the newer revisions of DSL are pretty damn fast. Some of the newer types can get 100 Mbit/s up and down. Even if you actually see half that, thats way faster than my current cable connection.

DSL isn't limited like it was back in the day.

EDacIouSX
05-23-2008, 09:41 AM
in riverside i have 10meg cable... FUCKIN FAST! almost always up, i have charter. like 40 bux a month

at home in l.a. i have 1.5 meg dsl. can't upgrade my dsl past 1.5 meg for some super castro gay reason. also, dsl at home is always going uppppppp and down upppppp an ddown. i have earthlink 29.95 a month. looking ot see if i can get cable connection from earthlink for 35 a month.

BustedS13
05-23-2008, 10:15 AM
i sell DSL, and i have DSL. and it fucking sucks. i used to have Charter cable, and it was awesome (10mb was blazing). if you're in AT&T territory, though, CHECK TO SEE IF UVERSE IS AVAILABLE. not only is uverse TV slick as shit, but uverse internet is always faster than dsl, even in the same speed levels. uverse goes up to 10mb, too, and is cheaper than cable's 10mb, even if you get it standalone without uverse tv.
and since you're in california, which is the only state my region works with, i can check your availability if you shoot me a pm with your new address. i'm not trying to sell to you (i can only take inbound calls anyway), but i can use att systems to check your shit out.

coreansurfer
05-23-2008, 10:51 AM
i have dsl and hate it, im waiting for stupid verizon to have fios in my area

just1pepsi
05-23-2008, 10:59 AM
Yeah UVerse is going to put the whoop-ass on cable in my area once they get it built out. Fiber is the way of the future.

flip3d
05-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Cable FTW.

With Sigma-X2 you can load different configuration files and uncap your connection.

You can even change the MAC and S/N on the modem to get um... *cough* free internet *cough*