PDA

View Full Version : The Engineering Help Thread.

low and slow
05-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Ok, so here's the deal:

Someone mentioned in a thread about making an engineering help thread, and I thought it was a great idea. I know a lot of us on here are engineering students, whether we be n00bs, somewhere in the middle (such as myself, in ME), or trying to finish and not /yourself. Feel free to use this thread for anything: questions about classes, books you want to get rid of, problems you are having in a class, to bitch about a professor that is a total ass clown and deserves to be punched in the ovaries, whatever. This can go for any engineering major, too, I figure with all of us on here we can help out each other in some way or another, and hopefully make the experience a lot better, not to mention help each other reach our goals of graduating.

Maybe introducing ourselves wouldn't be a bad idea, either? First time posting, put your name, school, and major. That way, if someone is looking for help, or is looking to help, they can narrow it down a lot easier.

ex:

Name: Kyle
School: Florida State
Major: Mechanical Engineering

Problem (including what class):...

Ready, set...discuss.

EDIT: Can someone please change the title to "The Official Engineering Student Help Thread?" Kind of makes a difference, haha. Thanks in advance :bigok:

yoni_nismo
05-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Name: Yonatan
School: CSUF
Major: EE

where was this last week would of helped in my circuits and microcontroller class finals... lol great idea ill be back 4 sure in tha fall

low and slow
05-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Yeah, something tells me this won't be super busy until the fall, but I made it now just in case there are people taking classes over summer, such as myself.

iwishiwas-all*
05-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Yup that was me, well I was gonna post it in a quick bit but u beat me to it.
Name:Gabe
School: University of Miami
Major:Mechanical Eng. w/ Internal Combustion Concentration

Oh here is my assclown prof. story of the day. Well I look at my grades last week, I had this class called Measurements Lab (im sure most ME's have some variation of this class), Its basically 5 hands on labs, Hysteresis, Load Cell, Flow Bench, Engine Dyno and Blow-down Bench and I was owning this class Im talking like 3-5 of the labs were in the 90's before our alloted revisions were even turned in... I was anticipating an A or A- at the least for all this ownage and thats awesome cause its probably my first A in an MAE class in a while but low and behold I get a B! Im like wtf so I go see the prof. monday to go over all my labs and make sure everything is gravy. well... I get in there and he tells me about 5 mins into our discussion that he curved DOWN the grades 5 points! Curved DOWN! wtf, whats worse is there was no curve even expressed on a syllabus or anytime in the class all semester... Now im close to livid but I am keeping it in check cause i have to have the tool as a teacher for at least more classes. So I ask him "Why did you even consider curving down?". "Well, uh see uh the grades were just too high, I cant have that." I had a 92 in the class prior to assfuck's curve. Now I would be fine with a curve fucking me over if he told us some time durring the class, even once that he would curve. Not afterwards.
So yea the GPA took another turn for the worse lol.

gmarzan
05-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Name: Ian
School: Rutgers
Majors: EE/Chem

EE was not that bad, there was a couple courses that I struggled, I think it was Solid States or Transform Methods for Engineering (i forgot). Hated the major/degree so I decided to go back and do chem. One of the hardest major in RU. I mean, it was fucking hard. P-Chem (physical chemistry) was probably THE HARDEST class I have ever taken. Quantum mechanics was confusing, Laplace formula, etc. You have to know your calculus like in the back your head doing integration and dot product. Analytical Chemistry was probably the easiest, but yet the most demanding course in chem. 6-7hr Lab with 1hr in class session. Weekly 5-10 page lab reports, and you have to show ALL WORK, from calculation and balancing formulas.

Great thing about hard courses is sometimes they have curves....without curve i dont think i'll be able to pass all my courses.

P.S. for all Rutgers incoming engineers - I hope you guys are ready to take Chemistry II ....this class will either make you or break you.

essforteen
05-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Name: Sirac
School: CSULB

So far not bad could be that i have not taking any major clases but i already hate programming with java but any ways im in for a challenge but will be worth it in the long run

DirtyS14
05-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Name: Amaan
School: University of Colorado

Going to be a junior next year... My strengths (if any) are calculus 1-3, Solidworks, General statics and problems in equilibrium. My weaknesses.... pretty much everything else in terms of physics, chem, diff eq, programming/computing. Hope this thread is a success! Go engineers! :hsdance:

Mr. Camshaft
05-23-2008, 01:03 AM
I'm taking advanced fluids and that shit is kickin my ass.

low and slow
07-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Bumping this up.

I'm sure I'm not the only one taking summer classes, and happy they are almost over.

I think I've conquered Calc III, and I'm actually looking forward to fall.

lflkajfj12123
07-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Name: Max
School: Purdue

anyone a chemical engineer? thoughts?

Tenchuu
07-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Name: Ken
School: Oregon State
Major: Electrical/Computer dual degree

really just getting into it serious this next year, already knocked out a year of the general shit.

lflkajfj12123
07-29-2008, 11:26 PM
i'm thinking of branching into chemical engineering

ANY THOUGHTS?

OKR_240SX
07-29-2008, 11:53 PM
Name: Nik
School: TCC then switch to Oklahoma State. Just cheaper this way since all the classes will switch
Major: Mech. Engineering
Year: Sophomore this year.

Only problem I'm having is finding good teachers and trying to get thru all the bullshit basics. Also I'm way behind in math because I was a lazy ass in highschool. So this year I'll be doing all my algebra, trig, and will end up in calc 1 by summer. So I got a lot of work ahead of me lol

Mr. Camshaft
07-29-2008, 11:55 PM
i'm thinking of branching into chemical engineering

ANY THOUGHTS?

get ready for pchem to own your life, or so i've heard.

lflkajfj12123
07-29-2008, 11:58 PM
it sounds like fun

i happen to enjoy most of all the engineering and science classes

i'd prob like doing that more than doing autocad and drafting

Bubbles
07-30-2008, 12:04 AM
School: Purdue

Huh.

That's odd.

lflkajfj12123
07-30-2008, 12:05 AM
LOL wut......................

Bubbles
07-30-2008, 12:07 AM
No, nothing big

Is there more than one Purdue?

God, that sounds stupid.

Tenchuu
07-30-2008, 12:08 AM
I liked all my autoCAD classes

lflkajfj12123
07-30-2008, 12:13 AM
No, nothing big

Is there more than one Purdue?

God, that sounds stupid.

there is purdue west lafayette, purdue calumet, and purdue north central

lflkajfj12123
07-30-2008, 12:25 AM
I liked all my autoCAD classes

i haven't started any of them

maybe i'm judging too soon

whats gooood

Tenchuu
07-30-2008, 12:56 AM
I jsut really enjoyed them. it is a totally logical you are 100% correct or 100% wrong type of class. and you have to get good at visualizing. i spent like 80 hours on my autoCAD 3D final project, but as i understand it most places don't teach the 3D side of it. but even the 2D side is fun once you spend time at it. it was the closet thing to a break i got out of my classes.

Mr. Camshaft
07-30-2008, 02:35 AM
Solidworks is gangster. AutoCAD was fun to cut stuff with the lasercamm.

Sway500
07-30-2008, 07:27 AM
Name: Randall
School: UNC Charlotte
Concentration: Mechanical Engineering
Year: Senior

I loved engineering when I first came to school. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it now. I like modeling in AutoCAD and Pro E, but the other stuff is for the birds. Truthfully, I'm not sure I want to even be in the engineering field once I graduate.

lflkajfj12123
07-30-2008, 10:54 AM
^ goto graduate school for something else?

gmarzan
07-30-2008, 12:26 PM
To s0apgun - Chemical engineering is almost the same as regular chemistry major. ChemE reguires more math, all the way up to Differential Equations 2, but the core chem courses are the same. I think I read you enjoy engineering/sciences so get ready for Physical Chemistry and Lab. I mean, shit, imagine a professor giving you a simple pressure equation and asked you to derive another formula using wave function. It was the class that I took that actually you get to use all of the maths you learned all through your life, especially calculus. P-Chem lab wasn't easy, it was ALL math, and there are only like 2-3 wet lab experiments, the rest are all dry. Basically, P-Chem is the hard...you get know how those formulas from regular chemistry was derived using Quantum Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Etc. and you get to study all of them in one course.

Mr. Camshaft
07-30-2008, 09:01 PM
damn, fuck that. i'd rather do kinematics for the rest of my life.

lflkajfj12123
07-30-2008, 09:14 PM
yeah i think i'm going to stick to ME i've been told switching to ChemE is just going to delay my graduation

i suppose i could do masters in chem or something

OKR_240SX
07-31-2008, 02:17 AM
What kind of projects has everyone had in their engineering classes?? To maybe give some ideas or helpful thoughts to improve someones project.

I'm not far in my degree yet, but have had my first engineering class. And in it we had to build a Diet Coke + Mentos powered vehicle. Me and my team basically built a water rocket. We trapped the pressure given off from the reaction to feed into a 2 liter bottle filled with a little less/around 1/3 full of water. From a dead stop (with no fins or cone to control the bottle in the air - due to deadlines) it went 94 feet on the 2nd try. We had a leak on the 1st and it only went like 40. And we came in 2nd out of around 20 teams. (it was 4 classes competing with 4 to 6 teams each)

low and slow
07-31-2008, 07:49 AM
We built a bridge in Intro to Engineering Lab out of toothpicks and marshmellows, choosing out of 3 different designs, and then gave them a stress test (putting weight on the middle to see how much it could take before breaking).

Which was cool, but seemed childish (the prof was a bitch, and it was a weeder class).

Then, in my ME Tools class, we built a Stirling Engine in the shop, which was pretty cool. Mine ran pretty hard, too (I think it ran close to 1,000rpm's), I was happy.

Then, we had to design it in Pro Engineer (drafting program), along with picking something else to re-create in the program (I ended up doing a mechanical pencil, it came out pretty BA)

Other than that, I haven't gotten too far into my major yet (I'm done with the pre-reqs now, so once fall starts I'll be at the e-school full time), so I'm sure the projects will increase.

DALAZ_68
07-31-2008, 08:54 AM
Name: Steve
School: LATTC
Concentration: debating between PE and Supertendant

seriously...im in a struggle here...im already 22...and i cant decide wether to be a PE or a supertendant...each has its ups and downs but its still something i cant figure out for my own...

any one in the same situation...

Mtndrifter14
07-31-2008, 09:12 AM
Name: Hunter
School: MSOE (Milwaukee School of Engineering)
Major: International Business/Mechanical Engineering dual degree.

Hrm im good at chem and physics. Calc, somewhat.

OKR_240SX
07-31-2008, 11:21 PM
We built a bridge in Intro to Engineering Lab out of toothpicks and marshmellows, choosing out of 3 different designs, and then gave them a stress test (putting weight on the middle to see how much it could take before breaking).

I did that in a highschool physics class, except no marshmallows. And technically I wasn't in that class. I just wanted to build it. lol

A&M Boy
07-31-2008, 11:46 PM
Name: Trevor
School: Texas A&M University (Gig'em! for those in the know)
Major: Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering Technologies
Year: Junior

I am sort of in the easy route. My major is mech eng with less math and and more emphasis on materials and actual assembly processes. I am also the vice president of or campus sports car club that regularly holds auto-x's and time distance rallyes. On another automotive note i try and participate in our sae chapter that builds the formula sae car, however that is going to change this next year. Hello formula hybrid!

DALAZ_68
08-01-2008, 04:35 AM

we did that too but used sugar gum drops instead...

withheld 5 pounds of bricks b4 initial fall at 6 :rawk:

anyone here an active CAD user :eek3:

OKR_240SX
08-01-2008, 07:23 AM
we did that too but used sugar gum drops instead...

withheld 5 pounds of bricks b4 initial fall at 6 :rawk:

I'll be in CAD by the summer time. How do you like it?

iwishiwas-all*
08-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Name: Trevor
School: Texas A&M University (Gig'em! for those in the know)
Major: Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering Technologies

I am sort of in the easy route. My major is mech eng with less math and and more emphasis on materials and actual assembly processes. I am also the vice president of or campus sports car club that regularly holds auto-x's and time distance rallyes. On another automotive note i try and participate in our sae chapter that builds the formula sae car, however that is going to change this next year. Hello formula hybrid!

I wanna fly out to college station this year to see the game should be worth it....

On cad, I am ok in Pro-E roght now, autocad is pretty easy as well but what exactly do you need?

g6civcx
08-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Name: Hunter
School: MSOE (Milwaukee School of Engineering)
Major: International Business/Mechanical Engineering dual degree.

Hrm im good at chem and physics. Calc, somewhat.

You're one of the few that actually stradle engineering and business. You really can't have one without the other.

I also studied computer engineering, hardware and software, and business management. Topped with minors in applied mathematics and sociology/women study. Now I do strictly legal work.

You need to build it in the lab. Then you need to make some money with it. You can't have one without the other.

ilovecoupes
08-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Name: Joe
School: PSU

I have started to get into the core EE classes. Labs are pretty tuff and real boring. Material is pretty difficult. I really cant wait till senior year, supposedly thats when you start having fun and building cool shit.

I am also the vice president of or campus sports car club that regularly holds auto-x's and time distance rallyes. On another automotive note i try and participate in our sae chapter that builds the formula sae car, however that is going to change this next year. Hello formula hybrid!

thats pretty fucking dope!

A&M Boy
08-02-2008, 08:35 AM
I wanna fly out to college station this year to see the game should be worth it....

I guarantee that it is going to be an experience. Hopefully our boys will put on a good show this year. Kyle field is a pretty intimidating place; a sea of maroon,student section never sits down, Corps band,etc.

let me know if you do

g6civcx
08-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Labs are pretty tuff and real boring. Material is pretty difficult.

Keep your head up and don't worry about it. It's only tough if you're reckless and don't mind your details. It's all in the details.

Plus it helps if you have a naturally inquisitive mind and don't let your ego hold you back from second guessing yourself sometimes.

I would say the point where everything started to make sense to me was when I synthesized and built a RISC processor from a set of specs. It doesn't mean much until you start seeing what it's doing from the ground up.

low and slow
08-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Glad to see this is bringing people out, and hopefully it'll continue in the fall.

+rep to everyone that posted :)

ilovecoupes
08-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Keep your head up and don't worry about it. It's only tough if you're reckless and don't mind your details. It's all in the details.

Plus it helps if you have a naturally inquisitive mind and don't let your ego hold you back from second guessing yourself sometimes.

thanks, if anything I'm the opposite of cocky. If I don't understand how to do something, my first instinct is to ask for help before, I even try it by myself.

I'm not sure if that is good or bad.

sirhc
08-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Name: Chris
School:Transfering to Texas A&M from a community college

I took trig and passed with a B. Should I skip precal and go straight to cal1?

lflkajfj12123
08-03-2008, 07:35 PM
uhmm nope

you should of gotten an A in trig

sirhc
08-03-2008, 08:11 PM
uhmm nope

you should of gotten an A in trig

Yeah, I know suck. I just don't want to waste a semester taking a course I don't need if they're both the same thing. Our professor told us that we could skip pre cal if we made a B higher.

lflkajfj12123
08-03-2008, 08:33 PM
i understand that notion

but only take calc if you KNOW you can handle it

otherwise you're going to end up failing it and still putting yourself back a semester plus the failing grade

and the rest of your engineering is all MATH

g6civcx
08-03-2008, 08:37 PM

I didn't know you could go into eng. without being ready for calc.

Any way, eng involves so much math that I only had to take 2 more classes for a math minor.

Every other major I considered doing had less stringent math requirements, meaning that if I doubled/tripled on another major except for math itself :), I wouldn't have to do any more math.

Mr. Camshaft
08-03-2008, 11:19 PM
If you can't do calculus you're pretty much fucked as far as engineering is concerned.

lflkajfj12123
08-03-2008, 11:41 PM
if you're willing to do the work to catch yourself up and to work very hard in calc

you will be okay

but if you have even a doubt in your mind

get a liberal arts major like everyone else

iwishiwas-all*
08-03-2008, 11:46 PM
yea take calc, cause if you dont you will be on the 5 yr plan and if you fail it you will see that engineering may not be the best bet for you... hope you pass but take it, no point in taking remedials that wont do jack shit for your major.

Mr. Camshaft
08-04-2008, 01:28 PM
if you're willing to do the work to catch yourself up and to work very hard in calc

you will be okay

but if you have even a doubt in your mind

get a liberal arts major like everyone else

like communications or psych :keke:

DALAZ_68
08-04-2008, 01:29 PM
I'll be in CAD by the summer time. How do you like it?
i havent ran it since high school....:keke:

duffman1278
08-04-2008, 02:04 PM

I say you're fine. Hell I took calculus back in high school and basically slacked off in trig but it didn't take much work to get back on track in calc. If you understood trig pretty good, I say you're set.

snowmansent2hel
08-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Name: Tom
School: Virginia Tech
Major: ME

Anybody else goin to VT?

sirhc
08-05-2008, 05:33 AM
i understand that notion

but only take calc if you KNOW you can handle it

otherwise you're going to end up failing it and still putting yourself back a semester plus the failing grade

Yeah, that make sense. lol

I say you're fine. Hell I took calculus back in high school and basically slacked off in trig but it didn't take much work to get back on track in calc. If you understood trig pretty good, I say you're set.

Yeah trig wasnt that bad. I just want to make sure and not waste more time.
I want to graduate and have a real job already. :-/

g6civcx
08-05-2008, 11:08 AM
like communications or psych :keke:

I learned a lot from my communications classes. It helps on interviews, public speaking, and technical writing.

I never took in-depth psych. I preferred sociology more. It also helps me a lot on seeing where people are coming from and why their perspective is different.

These are good skills to have for those wanting to go into management and who already have a solid technical background.

LigouriRd
08-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Been active with autocad since '91 and solidworks since '02, what is your question or what do you need done?

Name: Dan
School: Illinois Institute of Technology
Year: Grad in '99

duffman1278
08-05-2008, 01:01 PM
^^^^ Daym 91?? talk about OG cad user lol. I started like 7 years ago

I'm also an active Acad user, I use it everyday at work. Fairly decent at Autodesk Inventor, revit, architectural desktop, and the rendering program that comes with ADT, forgot the name.

drift925
08-05-2008, 01:22 PM
What kind of industry do most of you hope to get into once you graduate? Its hard trying to decide on your life long career when living life itself changes you as a person and well.... the decisions you make now arent always the same ones you would make in the future.

OKR_240SX
08-05-2008, 01:31 PM
i havent ran it since high school....:keke:

haha. my highschool didn't have anything for engineering till my senior year. In which I was only going to school for 2 hours and workin the rest.

My first professor was talking about if you just can not possible get the math done. You can switch to a technology degree in that field of engineering. he said its basically the same just less math. thoughts?

duffman1278
08-05-2008, 02:22 PM
What kind of industry do most of you hope to get into once you graduate? Its hard trying to decide on your life long career when living life itself changes you as a person and well.... the decisions you make now arent always the same ones you would make in the future.

I'm looking into getting in a manufacturing company that deals with machinary, like tools and assembly line type of things, or construction machinary.

TheWolf
08-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Kris
UNF
3rd Year MechE

SAE F1 Experience, autox, car development

Threw it all away and started my own business.. kinda regretting that but don't regret the experience.

g6civcx
08-05-2008, 03:14 PM
What kind of industry do most of you hope to get into once you graduate?

What does "industry" mean? Is there a difference between "industry" and "field"?

People always ask me what industry I'm in and I have no idea what to tell them.

Is it the goods or services that I produce?

Mr. Camshaft
08-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Farm equipment, research, automotive, aerospace and etc.

lflkajfj12123
08-05-2008, 06:46 PM
haha. my highschool didn't have anything for engineering till my senior year. In which I was only going to school for 2 hours and workin the rest.

My first professor was talking about if you just can not possible get the math done. You can switch to a technology degree in that field of engineering. he said its basically the same just less math. thoughts?

all advisors will tell you this when you goto register your classes

they basically need to fill spots for MET and try and bribe you with less work

Mtndrifter14
08-06-2008, 10:13 AM
You're one of the few that actually stradle engineering and business. You really can't have one without the other.

I also studied computer engineering, hardware and software, and business management. Topped with minors in applied mathematics and sociology/women study. Now I do strictly legal work.

You need to build it in the lab. Then you need to make some money with it. You can't have one without the other.

Definitely I'm happy I found my niche.

lflkajfj12123
08-06-2008, 10:20 AM
most engineers get a masters in business or management

ilovecoupes
08-06-2008, 11:05 AM

Thats exactly what my older brother did. BA in EE, and got his masters in Buisiness.

He has 4 homes.

g6civcx
08-06-2008, 11:54 AM

How many is "most"? Do you have stats? I would be interested to see.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's as easy for engineers to break into management as business majors.

A&M Boy
08-06-2008, 04:43 PM

I wish i had seen this sooner,

From experience in the A&M engineering system, precal is really really remedial stuff and that goes for cal 1 too. I never felt like studying because of it and then it sucked pretty bad. Also be prepared for all your intro maths and sciences to be weed-out courses that and a lot of the profs don't speak the best english. Don't take it for granted, M.E. is pretty tough here.

but in the meantime between those tough class you should come out and auto-x with tamscc.org

sn:TSJ

we could always use more 240's

lflkajfj12123
08-06-2008, 07:55 PM
How many is "most"? Do you have stats? I would be interested to see.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's as easy for engineers to break into management as business majors.

i know about 10 adult engineers

atleast half of them went for their masters in a business degree

because as you move up the ranks in as an engineer you start to do management more than engineering thats why this works so well

low and slow
08-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Well, I'm at the e-school, supposed to be studying for my Calc III test tomorrow.

And there is this really fun road to drive about 2 minutes from here, so concentrating is becoming more difficult by the minute, haha.

Something tells me it's going to be a late night...

Tenchuu
08-07-2008, 02:55 AM
last school year i took autoCAD 2007 classes. from basic to advanced to 3D modeling with it.

low and slow
08-07-2008, 07:53 AM
'Bout to go take my calc III last test/final, wish me luck...

g6civcx
08-07-2008, 08:15 AM
The school year is getting ready to start.

Are the seniors ready for interviews? I know engineers need a lot of help with behavioral interviews.

Mr. H
08-07-2008, 08:51 AM
'Bout to go take my calc III last test/final, wish me luck...

good luck, I just finished up calc 1 over the summer

gmarzan
08-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Anyone here taking/getting their masters? I mean, actually got accepted to the masters program. I was thinking getting mine, but I want to know how hard it is? I know the requirements are different for every colleges. Basically, I want to know:
1. Are you working full-time while working on your masters (cuz masters aint cheap)?
2. How difficult is the GRE test? I heard it's like SAT on tripple steroids
3. Anyone here with a degree in science; Bio, chem, etc. and taking their masters on something else?

I read a couple posts stating that most engineers gets their masters on business or something. I only met people who are "thinking" of getting their masters and I want to know the people who are actually "TAKING" theirs.

lflkajfj12123
08-07-2008, 12:32 PM
if i were working on my masters

i would probably be way to busy to post on zilvia.net hahaha

Mr. Camshaft
08-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Anyone here taking/getting their masters? I mean, actually got accepted to the masters program. I was thinking getting mine, but I want to know how hard it is? I know the requirements are different for every colleges. Basically, I want to know:
1. Are you working full-time while working on your masters (cuz masters aint cheap)?
2. How difficult is the GRE test? I heard it's like SAT on tripple steroids
3. Anyone here with a degree in science; Bio, chem, etc. and taking their masters on something else?

I read a couple posts stating that most engineers gets their masters on business or something. I only met people who are "thinking" of getting their masters and I want to know the people who are actually "TAKING" theirs.

Some of my friends have taken the GRE. The vocab is difficult in that they use obscure and less common definitions of words. Math isn't quite calculus. I hear it's more tricky trig and algebra.

LigouriRd
08-08-2008, 08:19 AM
^^^^ Daym 91?? talk about OG cad user lol. I started like 7 years ago

I'm also an active Acad user, I use it everyday at work. Fairly decent at Autodesk Inventor, revit, architectural desktop, and the rendering program that comes with ADT, forgot the name.

Yeah, started working with it my second year of high school (Release 10) and have been working side jobs after that until I got my Bachelors. Problem is, my company has not upgraded so I am not fluent with the newer versions. I am pretty advanced with Solidworks though.

Some of my friends have taken the GRE. The vocab is difficult in that they use obscure and less common definitions of words. Math isn't quite calculus. I hear it's more tricky trig and algebra.
I guess that is somewhat encouraging. I was thinking of going back to school and getting my masters but I am not seeing what the benefit will be with any degree aside from an MBA. I was toying around with a masters in industrial design but even level II or III designers make less than I do currently.

theicecreamdan
08-08-2008, 12:20 PM

You can do ok in calc 1 with a B in trig. From what I've heard you'll want to go through all your trig again before you go to calc 2 though.

At my school pre-calc is a mixture of algebra and a little bit of trig. You can take trig and algebra separately though to meet the requirements and actually learn trig.

I tested into calc 1, took it and got an A. Trig was pretty weak for me though so I took trig in a summer school class and got an A and now I should be ready for calc 2.

OKR_240SX
08-09-2008, 12:26 AM
For those who have their degree. How long did it take for you to finish your degree? I know I'm behind and have a lot to catch up

Mr. Camshaft
08-09-2008, 02:18 PM
5 years on the smoking too much plan. do GE's over the summers and you can cut that to 4 years.

lflkajfj12123
08-09-2008, 02:51 PM
don't have my degree yet, but if all goes right

4 year plan and i'm out

including internships in the summer

drift_student
08-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Name: Mike
School: University of Texas at Austin
Major: ME

I'm on the 5 year plan myself because of internships, but I'm loving it.

LigouriRd
08-11-2008, 01:43 PM
5½ years cause I was a dumbshi#e in highschool. I had to spend the first year in college getting brought up to the level where I could take calc and physics.

Most people I graduated with took a little over 4 years. There's a lot to get in, especially when you get to the real engineering classes. Not every class is offered every semester. I still had to take one or two classes over the summer every year.

lflkajfj12123
08-26-2008, 06:46 PM
school started

bumping this

low and slow
08-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Yeah it did, and the profs are already hitting me hard.

Everyone post up your schedules, and maybe others have the same/similar classes and we can all help out -

MAP3305 aka Engineering Math I
EEL3003 aka Intro to Electrical Engineering
EML3234 aka Material Science and Engineering
EML3004 aka Intro to Mechanical Engineering

lflkajfj12123
08-26-2008, 08:40 PM
i have an intro to engineering class

first half is ee and second me

low and slow
08-26-2008, 10:16 PM
That's pretty cool.

You have a lab for it or anything?

We used to have to take the Intro to EE lab, but they changed the curriculum because it veered off too much from what we needed to know, etc.

sirhc
08-26-2008, 10:25 PM
I wish i had seen this sooner,

From experience in the A&M engineering system, precal is really really remedial stuff and that goes for cal 1 too. I never felt like studying because of it and then it sucked pretty bad. Also be prepared for all your intro maths and sciences to be weed-out courses that and a lot of the profs don't speak the best english. Don't take it for granted, M.E. is pretty tough here.

but in the meantime between those tough class you should come out and auto-x with tamscc.org

sn:TSJ

we could always use more 240's

Thats cool. I'm still in Austin this semester. I will definately make some friends when I transfer. :bigok: I'm taking cal 1 right now. I hope I don't regret it. lol

You can do ok in calc 1 with a B in trig. From what I've heard you'll want to go through all your trig again before you go to calc 2 though.

At my school pre-calc is a mixture of algebra and a little bit of trig. You can take trig and algebra separately though to meet the requirements and actually learn trig.

I tested into calc 1, took it and got an A. Trig was pretty weak for me though so I took trig in a summer school class and got an A and now I should be ready for calc 2.

Nice! I took a prereq test on the first day of class and there were 4 trig problem and the rest was algebra. Wish me luck. lol

OKR_240SX
08-26-2008, 11:34 PM
5½ years cause I was a dumbshi#e in highschool. I had to spend the first year in college getting brought up to the level where I could take calc and physics.

That's kinda where I'm at right now. My first year was basically getting to College Algebra, which I'm in now. Cause I basically slacked and didn't care in highschool.

Right now i'm in Coll. Algebra, Comp II, Sociology, and Hum I. And after this I'll be done with the general oklahoma requirements. Then Trig and Chem next semester. Probably do Calc I and My CAD class this summer. So next year I'll be ready for Calc II and Physics I & II.. then I'll be ready to transfer to Oklahoma State.

Mr. H
09-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Name: Matt
School: University of Missouri
Major: Mechanical Engineering w/ emphasis in Aerospace Engineering

Nothing really to say, just introducing myself. i'm in my second semester as an engineering student, after a long stint in business school(this stuff is way better/harder). only thing i have to ask is if anyone knows a place where i could download a student version of Pro Engineering or Solid Modeling. I got a student version of AutoCad last semester. Its nice to not have to go to campus Computer Labs to do my homework.

SqueekyClean
09-25-2008, 12:35 PM
I graduated with my bachelors this year. Industrial Techonology: Manufacturing Productions. I was a Mechanical Engineer when I started out my term at California State- Los Angeles.

I've taken probably half of the Engineer classes before I moved on on my field.

I've taken all the calculus courses, all five of them, I've taken all the physics including the Quantum physics. The Engineering Economics is probably the hardest class in the world, it's more difficult than calculus + quantum physics combined because it has a tones of formulas that we will never ever use. Hypothetical formulas!

I consider myself as both an Engineer and a Technologist. I like both aspects of the theoretical and the practicality of each field.

The best course I've taken in college didn't have to do anything with Engineering, it was Advance Philosophy and Symbolic logic which is a fundamental for all mathematics.

Have fun.~

LigouriRd
09-26-2008, 12:18 PM
...I've taken all the calculus courses, all five of them, I've taken all the physics including the Quantum physics...
What five? I'm a mech but only had three.
• Calc I (basic differentiation/integration)
• Calc II (advanced integrations, limits and sheet
• Calc III (multiple dimension differentiation/integration).
There was also college algebra and trig early on and then linear algebra after calc. There was one more math course offered and I would have had a minor in it.

Taniguchi_Is_#1
09-26-2008, 04:01 PM
i never posted in this thread.

name: xa
school: drexel university
major: mechanical engineering, 4th year

i'm better at structures, civil type shit because that's the field i've been working in. i'm good with the bentley microstation/inroads CAD programs if there's anyone else here who's done work for DOT/traffic consultant work. i'm not particularly fond of core/theory type stuff, but i'm told that i'm good at explaining things/equations/etc. even though i sometimes don't understand it myself.

gmarzan
10-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Most engineering courses requires you to take calculus 1-5. Everyone knows calculus 1-3, but lots of people also considers differential equations 1-2 as calculus 4 and 5, respectively. I know it's not engineering but for chemistry, i only had to take calc1-3 and linear algebra. I guess it depends on the college that you go to on what courses you take or not to take.

-=RS13=-
10-03-2008, 06:12 PM
What five? I'm a mech but only had three.
• Calc I (basic differentiation/integration)
• Calc II (advanced integrations, limits and sheet
• Calc III (multiple dimension differentiation/integration).
There was also college algebra and trig early on and then linear algebra after calc. There was one more math course offered and I would have had a minor in it.

Everyone in my school has to take Cal I II and II (same as above) as well as differential equations and linear algebra. And then depending on discipline some take 2nd year Stats. So i guess that can be 5

mRclARK1
10-03-2008, 06:20 PM
I just want to say as someone with no official engineering education... I hope you guys are all smarter than some of the engineering students I've met or become acquainted with...

Fuck some of them are dumb. :ugh:

I would go into engineering, but I fucking HATE math. lolz... I don't know how you guys stand that much of it.

low and slow
10-06-2008, 04:02 PM
I just want to say as someone with no official engineering education... I hope you guys are all smarter than some of the engineering students I've met or become acquainted with...

Fuck some of them are dumb. :ugh:

I would go into engineering, but I fucking HATE math. lolz... I don't know how you guys stand that much of it.

Yeah, I've met some pretty stupid motherfuckers that consider them engineers, too.

It's a damn shame.

I know quite a few here at my school, too, I'm hoping they get weeded out because the thought of them getting their degree in it makes me shudder...

lflkajfj12123
10-27-2008, 08:16 PM
i'm failing chemistry

about to go hang myself

low and slow
10-27-2008, 09:45 PM
i'm failing chemistry

about to go hang myself

Make me an extra noose if you don't mind, material science and engineering is fucking my world, too.

Ghostdrifter
10-27-2008, 10:39 PM
I'm taking Dynamics and mechanics of materials together plus my teacher actually wrote the book and he LOVES to give hw and test. Sometimes he'll give two test in one week! You guys better be happy y'all don't have Russ Hibbler. Test are 10 ques no partial credit.

low and slow
10-27-2008, 11:46 PM
I'm taking Dynamics and mechanics of materials together plus my teacher actually wrote the book and he LOVES to give hw and test. Sometimes he'll give two test in one week! You guys better be happy y'all don't have Russ Hibbler. Test are 10 ques no partial credit.

I'll be taking both of those classes (Dynamic Systems I and Mechanics of Materials I) in the spring, plus E-Math II.

Should be fun...not.

teamsprock
09-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Name: Jake
School: Montana State University
Major: Mechanical Engineer

I graduated in 2006 and have already had 4 different jobs, so hopefully I can provide some insight for all your guys still in school!

Advice:
1) If you hate school, you will hate your future job
2) If you think everyone around you is weird, guess what, you will have to work with those weird people someday.
3)If you struggled with Statics.... get ready becasue Dynamics will kill you
4) Never ever under any circumstances accept a job with Micron or Intel or IM Flash regardless of the money they offer you. they hire 1,000's of engineers and waste all of their talent having them baby sit machines. (Chem. E's possiably could make it a decent job, after the first year of baby sitting machines)
5) Take some buisness courses while in school, so you know how to think like a normal consumer not just an engineer. (no matter how cool the thing you design is, it has to be sold in order for you to keep your job)
6)Every Engineering job I can think off works on projects so that can cause it's own sets of issues. You will have crunch time where your job must be your number one priority. Also you must keep finding projects or you won't have a job.
7) Salaries can be a good indicator of a "shit job" if the salary seems to good to be true, understand all the negatives associated. People don't usually give away money becasue they like too.

I have worked in the computer industry, aerospace, and now oil & gas.

quick summary of jobs:
NAND Flash Engineering (IM Flash Technologies).: Worthless as a Mech. Eng. (I should have known better). Worst job ever, I walked out after 3-months. Starting salary 62K plus sign bonus in 2006
Aerospace: Really intersting as a Mech. eng. you really get to use a lot of the fundamentals. Downside, most jobs are cubical hell's! If you like the security of the cubicle rat race probably a good route to go. Starting Salary around 60k
Oil & Gas: Mostly sturctural design and fluids. Lots of flexiabilty (depending on company). Downside: lots of remote job sites, hopefully you know how to talk Hill billy! Salaries range from 60-80k starting.

EchaKqulo
09-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Name: Jake
School: Montana State University
Major: Mechanical Engineer

I graduated in 2006 and have already had 4 different jobs, so hopefully I can provide some insight for all your guys still in school!

Advice:
1) If you hate school, you will hate your future job
2) If you think everyone around you is weird, guess what, you will have to work with those weird people someday.
3)If you struggled with Statics.... get ready becasue Dynamics will kill you
4) Never ever under any circumstances accept a job with Micron or Intel or IM Flash regardless of the money they offer you. they hire 1,000's of engineers and waste all of their talent having them baby sit machines. (Chem. E's possiably could make it a decent job, after the first year of baby sitting machines)
5) Take some buisness courses while in school, so you know how to think like a normal consumer not just an engineer. (no matter how cool the thing you design is, it has to be sold in order for you to keep your job)
6)Every Engineering job I can think off works on projects so that can cause it's own sets of issues. You will have crunch time where your job must be your number one priority. Also you must keep finding projects or you won't have a job.
7) Salaries can be a good indicator of a "shit job" if the salary seems to good to be true, understand all the negatives associated. People don't usually give away money becasue they like too.

I have worked in the computer industry, aerospace, and now oil & gas.

quick summary of jobs:
NAND Flash Engineering (IM Flash Technologies).: Worthless as a Mech. Eng. (I should have known better). Worst job ever, I walked out after 3-months. Starting salary 62K plus sign bonus in 2006
Aerospace: Really intersting as a Mech. eng. you really get to use a lot of the fundamentals. Downside, most jobs are cubical hell's! If you like the security of the cubicle rat race probably a good route to go. Starting Salary around 60k
Oil & Gas: Mostly sturctural design and fluids. Lots of flexiabilty (depending on company). Downside: lots of remote job sites, hopefully you know how to talk Hill billy! Salaries range from 60-80k starting.

Name: Raynel
School: Polytechnic University of PR
Mayor: Mechanical Engineer

Men, I have never ever read/hear/see, etc. a better description of a Mechanical Engineer at professional work stage/state or what ever you want to call it.

I graduated in 05 after 7 years of work/study life. I 1000% agree with the above post. I am in my 2nd job on the Aerospace industry so a know about the "My Cubicle Song" and I could tell that most, if not all, the Dilbert tales come from a real engineer. Don't get me wrong, i love to be a Mechanical Engineer!

Couple of things to add:
1. As the poster above said most of the time you will only need the fundamentals, so fill your self with the concepts, understand the concepts involved on the formulas.
2. Possibly all the Differential equations and calculus would start to make sense almost at the end of the career, when it is applied utilizing the fundamentals/concepts.
3. Do not think that the learning will stop after graduation, the real school starts after it.
4. Learn from your professional mistakes, and use them as lessons learned. I assure, you WILL make mistakes.
5. Take any advantage to learn something new every day.

I could keep going on, but i got to let some one else reply too.

Good luck and DO NOT GIVE UP!!

iwishiwas-all*
09-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Oh my engineers are back! another semester of HELLLLL hahah

iwishiwas-all*
09-12-2009, 10:01 PM
oh btw does anyone here know how to use Flow works? I need to do some cfd for senior design and that program was suggested... any idea if you can model two fluids in it at the same time?

xpertsnowcarver
09-13-2009, 09:18 AM
Damn! Where the heck was I when this thread was made?? Oh yea... finals from spring quarter, haha..

Name: Joel
School: Cal Poly Pomona
Major/Minor: Mechanical Eng. Still considering to Minor in Electrical Eng.
Currently a Junior

Starting my schoolin again in less than 2 weeks... probably won't be on the forums at all till Dec. I have eight classes and labs this quarter..

duffman1278
09-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Damn! Where the heck was I when this thread was made?? Oh yea... finals from spring quarter, haha..

Name: Joel
School: Cal Poly Pomona
Major/Minor: Mechanical Eng. Still considering to Minor in Electrical Eng.
Currently a Junior

Starting my schoolin again in less than 2 weeks... probably won't be on the forums at all till Dec. I have eight classes and labs this quarter..

8 classes?!!? You're asking for a death wish!! I max out at 3 classes or 3 classes and 1 lab a quarter. Another CPP student though, nice!

pinkarrowsnow
09-13-2009, 11:34 AM
I just started my first semester for engineering science as my major then going into mechanical im scared :(

xpertsnowcarver
09-13-2009, 11:52 AM
8 classes?!!? You're asking for a death wish!! I max out at 3 classes or 3 classes and 1 lab a quarter. Another CPP student though, nice!

Negative. You know.. I used to be a delinquent in my first year. Fooling around with girls and what have you.. GPA started off terrible and already put me in probation. And during my first and second year I had a full time job at Circuit Shack before they went out of business.
Well.. I couldn't be wasting my money away like this. And my parent didn't send my to damn private school my whole life just for this. So, ever since fall quarter last year and because I was laid off from going out of business, I decided to try maxing out the allowable units one can take per quarter. Spring quarter was the hardest yet. I'll admit.. it was a big ass wake up call... but I managed it decently. In Spring I ended with a 3.0gpa (Four As, Two Bs, and Two Cs). I had Four classes and four labs.

This quarter I'll have another Four classes and four labs, BUT... I may cancel one class and lab, because yes... Eight classes and labs is a bit more difficult than I anticipated. But.. I'm not sure yet.. Since the Gobernator is fucking with the school system real bad.. I really need to get my degree asap.

lflkajfj12123
09-13-2009, 03:12 PM
PROPS bro

maybe i'll do 20+ credit hours and graduate early

bshotts
09-13-2009, 03:43 PM
yeah i think i'm going to stick to ME i've been told switching to ChemE is just going to delay my graduation

i suppose i could do masters in chem or something

Max....don't know where you are at in your curriculum for ME @ Purdue, but I have some advice. If you are mechanically inclined, stick with ME or CE as you will almost always be able to find work. One of my best friends made it through ChemE, but I saw what he had to go through just to make it by and to try to have somewhat of a normal social life....finding work close to home was somewhat difficult as well.

My background:

Bryan Shotts
Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
2006 BSME with concentration on vehicle dynamics

I am with my second company, both in the automotive industry; first position was an opportunity to design electrical/hydraulic circuits to integrate bucket lifts/diggers onto existing OEM chassis, ie Ford Superduty, Freightliner, Internationals, etc. I kept biting off more than I could chew as there was alot of turnover and opportunity to take on more work, etc. Another position came along to work on a heavy-duty hybrid drive transmission at Allison here in Indy and I love every part of it. I get to keep current with market trends and technology, and discover new ways of making drivelines more efficient and robust. I love that I get to apply numerous physics and mathematical equations to real-world data, or at least explain behavior governed by those same principals. I encourage all engineering students to just stick with it, keep your face in the books, and practice practice practice. Find a small group of buddies to get through all the work, and make a faculty friend or two...it just makes the whole experience easier.

lflkajfj12123
09-13-2009, 04:07 PM
bryan shotts? i know that name i think lol

thanks for the advice, i decided to just stick with ME and get a masters in Business / Management

xpertsnowcarver
09-13-2009, 04:10 PM
PROPS bro

maybe i'll do 20+ credit hours and graduate early

Thanks man.

This would only be possible if you have cheap cheap rent. If you're on your own and need a full-time job, AND trying to do nearly double, full-time school.... not possible. I attempted it and failed. Since I have no job now, I'm living with my parents and have enough money saved up and loans for all next year. Hopefully I can stay diligent. I nearly killed myself in avoiding distractions too. From the little things like turning your cell off during class to not going to parties on weekends to study something I you didn't understand in class. It all adds up. Hopefully someone barely getting into engineering reads this.

duffman1278
09-13-2009, 05:27 PM
That's so right. I felt like I basically had to give up my social life during school time. I don't even touch my car during the quarters, for the most part. Most of my day is spent doing hw and understanding crap that didn't pay attention in class or I just flat out didn't get.

xpertsnowcarver
09-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Lol. Finally another 240 owner than understands me!

teamsprock
09-14-2009, 09:54 AM
oh btw does anyone here know how to use Flow works? I need to do some cfd for senior design and that program was suggested... any idea if you can model two fluids in it at the same time?

I used flow works to model aircraft rotor dynamics a couple years ago, and haven't touched it since. I never explored the idea of two fluids so I can't comment, I know the product has come a long way in the past few years so it wouldn't suprise me if it can model systems like that now. I have Solidworks 9 without the premeium package so I don't have a full seat of flow works. All I can model is velocity curves.

If you need any tips running the software I have the 2007 floworks training manual just shoot me a PM.

xpertsnowcarver
10-17-2009, 02:19 PM
So what do you guys think. Took an overnighter, about 15 hours, and 155 parts to get this project completed for a presentation.... Thank god my library has a 24 hour lab.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y274/xpertsnowcarver2/solid1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y274/xpertsnowcarver2/solid2.jpg

xpertsnowcarver
06-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Anyone have the Maple software package? I need to do four problems. Looking for a free trial or someone local who has the program.

iwishiwas-all*
06-03-2010, 07:58 PM
dude i need some solidworks help allways, where can i get some nice tutorials?

xpertsnowcarver
06-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Back when I had trouble, I would use youtube.

You can try here too.
SolidWorks Labs: Blog (http://labs.solidworks.com/Blog/)

duffman1278
06-03-2010, 08:10 PM
what did you make that for?? what class?

xpertsnowcarver
06-03-2010, 08:30 PM
What? The rendering I made back in October?! Where have you been?? lol

That was for ME233. Earned an A in that class. :p

duffman1278
06-03-2010, 08:46 PM
lol damn dude you did way too much work for that class.

xpertsnowcarver
06-04-2010, 12:02 AM
No I didn't. I just set the standard. ;)

Mr. Camshaft
06-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Seems kinda whacky to drive the axle with a worm gear. lol

xpertsnowcarver
06-04-2010, 07:52 PM
How so? The requirements called for a top speed of 5 mph and must traverse hills with max grade of 30% with a 50cc engine. Worm gear is the best way to go for low speed high torque.

essforteen
06-04-2010, 07:56 PM
wolframalpha.com

TheWolf
06-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Anyone have the Maple software package? I need to do four problems. Looking for a free trial or someone local who has the program.

still need it? I have everything...

xpertsnowcarver
06-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Yes I do!! I'll PM you!

Mr. Camshaft
06-06-2010, 01:56 PM
How so? The requirements called for a top speed of 5 mph and must traverse hills with max grade of 30% with a 50cc engine. Worm gear is the best way to go for low speed high torque.

Knowing that changes things. What was the project about?

xpertsnowcarver
06-06-2010, 04:47 PM
It sounded pretty silly at first but made sense once I started working on it. If I recall correctly, we were asked to design a cart for firefighters to clear brush with the use of a weed whacker.

The engine of the weed whacker is the same engine needed to power the car. The cart is remote controlled (speed and direction) by the firefighter who walks along side it. Once the firefighter reaches an area to clear, he needs to be able to quickly detach and assemble the weed whacker. Weight of cart is limited to 300lbs with a 100lbs payload. The cart's center of gravity must be considered when traversing incline grades of 15%.
The cart must also be able to traverse through creeks 6" deep.

There were a few other requirements. We went with a lot of parts that were already made. The weed whacker is a 50cc propane powered engine. Assuming we had a mini propane tank for the weed whacker and a big propane take on the cart, the firefighter would be able to travel and clear 7.xx miles of brush.

Mr. Camshaft
06-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Sounds like a real cool project. My only suggestion would be to a add a bunch of fillets to avoid all the stress risers you have. Although, at 5mph, I'm sure that really won't be an issue.

iwishiwas-all*
06-06-2010, 05:01 PM
gosh, I wish I didnt just graduate. Anyone know any companies hiring Mechanicals? let me know!

xpertsnowcarver
06-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Sounds like a real cool project. My only suggestion would be to a add a bunch of fillets to avoid all the stress risers you have. Although, at 5mph, I'm sure that really won't be an issue.

You are absolutely correct. I was running late on this project and didn't include them.

duffman1278
06-06-2010, 08:17 PM

Actually you don't want fillets around, they cause stress concentrations, which you want to keep as low as possible.

Mr. Camshaft
06-06-2010, 10:36 PM
I don't know where you learned your physics, but sharp corners cause larger stress concentrations than something rounded.

Fillet (mechanics) - Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fillet_%28mechanics%29)

xpertsnowcarver
06-06-2010, 10:38 PM
^I agree.

Ruben: What do you mean? Where are we talking? Do you mean the unnecessary fillets I put on the worm driven gear? That I can agree with.

Mr. Camshaft
06-06-2010, 10:41 PM
^I agree.

Ruben: What do you mean? Where are we talking? Do you mean the unnecessary fillets I put on the worm driven gear? That I can agree with.

EDIT: you beat me to the punch :\

xpertsnowcarver
06-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Right. I just have a feeling we are misunderstanding what he's trying to say. Maybe he meant to be more specific.

Mr. Camshaft
06-06-2010, 10:51 PM
I guess so. Just a weird thing for me to hear because we've filleted the crap out of anything structural on our racecar.

duffman1278
06-06-2010, 11:53 PM
lol you are correct I just misinterpreted what I was saying. (Damn you finals!)

But yes, the fillet size, up to a point will reduce stress concentrations, allowing for an increased stress on a part, where considering infinite life cycles.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4663/asdasdasaf.jpg

Mr. Camshaft
06-20-2010, 11:50 PM
Just got back from first day at OptimumG seminar catering to FSAE and my brain is gonna pop.

mothon
10-19-2010, 06:50 PM
So how are you guys doing this semester??? What classes are you taking?

Im a PE major
This semeter im taking, strengths of materials, engineering professionalism, Chem II and geology. 14 hours.

Strengths is pretty much kicking my but right now.

lflkajfj12123
10-19-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm hella burnt out on this shit.

duffman1278
10-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Strengths is pretty much kicking my but right now.

Strenghts is a breeze, I loved that class though, so practical.

Currently I'm taking fluid mechanics II, fluid mechanics lab, heat transfer, material science lab, and a manufacturing processes course.

I am DYING of sleep, and heat transfer is owning me at the moment.

xpertsnowcarver
10-19-2010, 11:22 PM
Quit your bickering! Instead of being on Zilvia, you should be doing your work or sleeping. lol

Wishing I had the same course load as you.

duffman1278
10-20-2010, 12:58 AM
Quit your bickering! Instead of being on Zilvia, you should be doing your work or sleeping. lol

Wishing I had the same course load as you.

LMFAO, be careful of what you wish for. Trust me you don't want this. I knew it was a bad idea from the beginning but my friend INSISTED that it wouldn't be that bad. But I'm suffering for it now and it sucks balls.

Gonna lighten the load up a tad next quarter.

Mr. H
10-20-2010, 07:21 AM
Strenghts is a breeze, I loved that class though, so practical.

Currently I'm taking fluid mechanics II, fluid mechanics lab, heat transfer, material science lab, and a manufacturing processes course.

I am DYING of sleep, and heat transfer is owning me at the moment.

yeah strengths wasn't bad. And heat transfer is crazy, interesting just really hard. its also the teachers first semester teaching, gave us a 50 min test that took him 35-40 min to do. did not go well for anyone.

I'm taking heat transfer, circuit theory, Mechanical Design II, Manufacturing Methods, Instruments and Measurments lab and Modern Control. 18 hours don't do it.

duffman1278
10-20-2010, 01:17 PM
lol O man that sounds similar to my next quarter. I'll be taking instruments and measurements, as well as mechanical design II, but not circuit theory, never heard of that at my school.

xpertsnowcarver
10-20-2010, 01:43 PM
That's what you hope to be taking. Right? My enrollment appt. isn't until the 28th @ 1130A.

g-via
10-20-2010, 01:47 PM
HVAC Midterm in 2 hrs

any tricks of the trade I don't know?!

duffman1278
10-20-2010, 02:51 PM
That's what you hope to be taking. Right? My enrollment appt. isn't until the 28th @ 1130A.

lol whoops, yea I meant HOPE to take. A long with senior project if I pass all my classes this quarter.

nathanong87
10-20-2010, 07:30 PM
cool thread. i graduated from university of maryland college park over the summer , b/s in mechanical engineering.

lflkajfj12123
10-20-2010, 09:03 PM
^ any job prospects?

b-s14
01-09-2011, 09:45 PM
cool thread. i graduated from university of maryland college park over the summer , b/s in mechanical engineering.

yes yes, any job prospects?

bump for an old thread!

Silverbullet
01-10-2011, 05:15 PM
I thought ur doing some medical/pharmacy shit like all the other Asians at VCU?

Marcus
01-10-2011, 08:56 PM

dude thats awesome. im an ME major at sdsu. looking to graduate a year from now (yea i know im slow lol)

I kinda wish i did civil. seems as though there is more job selection as it is more broad.

been putting off fluid dynamics. gonna force myself to take it this coming semester. any tips?

oh and FUCK mechanics of materials.

duffman1278
01-10-2011, 09:30 PM
dude thats awesome. im an ME major at sdsu. looking to graduate a year from now (yea i know im slow lol)

I kinda wish i did civil. seems as though there is more job selection as it is more broad.

been putting off fluid dynamics. gonna force myself to take it this coming semester. any tips?

haha you're an ME and have mechanics of materials?!?! Enjoy the upper level classes.

Also, fluid dynamics is breeze up until you hit compressible fluids, strength of materials requires work imo.

ME's have a lot of job selection than Civils imo because they're limited as to what industries they can get into where as ME's do basically everything. I've seen a broader array of jobs for ME's than most other Engineering fields except a very few.

Silverbullet
01-11-2011, 10:04 PM

Mechanical is way more broad, and have more jobs out there. I see Civil is pretty much Mechanical minus the thermo stuff plus some soil bs. At the end, it really doesn't matter which degree you have.

Fluids is like thermo. Once you conceptually understand it, it just clicks.

mothon
01-14-2011, 07:06 PM
What classes do you guys have for this semester???

Im taking

Thermodynamics
Reservoir rock properties w/ lab
Structural geology and stratigraphy
Some lame 1 hour class for transfer PE students
and weight training because i need the extra credit hour.

Rock properties is supposed to be the hardest class in the curriculum...I'm not looking forward to it.