PDA

View Full Version : netflix technology curbstomps blockbuster

BustedS13
05-21-2008, 04:29 PM
http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/05/21/netflixs-first-set-top-box/

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/roku.jpg

cliffs: netflix has a $99 settop box that lets you stream movies to your tv instead of getting them in the mail. 10,000 titles are currently available, more on the way.

yes, you can stream movies via on demand, or through an apple tv if you were retarded enough to buy that. yes, you can stream movies via your 360 or your old xbox with XBMC installed (my choice). but for the average consumer, this should be RAD AS FUCK, and truly is the future of movie rental. we won't be dealing with discs soon, and it's going to be awesome.

Daniel.
05-21-2008, 04:33 PM
http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/05/21/netflixs-first-set-top-box/

cliffs: netflix has a $99 settop box that lets you stream movies to your tv instead of getting them in the mail. 10,000 titles are currently available, more on the way.

yes, you can stream movies via on demand, or through an apple tv if you were retarded enough to buy that. yes, you can stream movies via your 360 or your old xbox with XBMC installed (my choice). but for the average consumer, this should be RAD AS FUCK, and truly is the future of movie rental. we won't be dealing with discs soon, and it's going to be awesome.

yeah, this is going to be awesome.

too bad "the internet will run out of bandwidth in two years" ...

EDIT: Yes, I know the internet isn't going to run out of bandwidth, but I still forsee a premium pricetag on this convenient service.

:-/

S13_Nightkid
05-21-2008, 05:25 PM
a must buy. Well, maybe if the price doesn't dip too deep into my wallet...

azndoc
05-21-2008, 05:28 PM
A Hollywood video just closed like a few months ago 1 min from my house.

Now I have to drive 5 mins to the nearest one.

Fuckers.

BustedS13
05-21-2008, 05:31 PM
according to the site... you just need a netflix subscription. any tier. and you still get your dvd's in the mail. so it's pretty much limitless ondemand of new releases and such for free (plus cost of equipment) on top of your regular netflix subscription.
this is awesome, i might get the lowest possible netflix subscription and not put any dvd's in my queue, and just use this thing. their lowest plan is five bucks a month.

EDIT: this requires an unlimited dvd plan. the lowest UNLIMITED plan is 8.99 a month. once they start packing on more streaming content, this will be well worth it.
i'm a pirate at heart, but this is pretty sweet.

yokotas13
05-21-2008, 05:35 PM
as soon as it gets easier to pay than pirate

im down

S14DB
05-21-2008, 05:51 PM
http://www.netflix.com/NetflixReadyDevices?lnkctr=nmNRD
http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/

Need to start saving my pennies.

DOOK
05-21-2008, 05:55 PM
god I wish I wasn't technologically slow and had a clue what you guys were talking about... is this like a harddrive of some kind or something?

BustedS13
05-21-2008, 06:03 PM
god I wish I wasn't technologically slow and had a clue what you guys were talking about... is this like a harddrive of some kind or something?

it's like On Demand, but provided by netflix instead of your cable provider. and it's a free service netflix offers to all their unlimited dvd rental customers. so you buy the box, you get an unlimited dvd rental plan from netflix (8.99 and up), you plug the box into your internet, and you're good to go. it streams movies to you over the internet, like youtube but dvd quality, and on your tv instead of your computer.

Daniel.
05-21-2008, 06:03 PM

Pretty much.

Hookup box to intarwebz. Download/stream movies to box with hard drive storage.

Play mooveeezz.

BustedS13
05-21-2008, 06:08 PM
here's the thing to really consider. what if sony or microsoft partners up with netflix? what if you could stream movies using your 360 or ps3 instead of having to buy new hardware? would you ever bother going to blockbuster or hollywood again? ever?

Daniel.
05-21-2008, 06:10 PM
here's the thing to really consider. what if sony or microsoft partners up with netflix? what if you could stream movies using your 360 or ps3 instead of having to buy new hardware? would you ever bother going to blockbuster or hollywood again? ever?

hell no.

as long as they can stream me bluray quality content. none of that 720p stuff, i want the real deal, 1080p son.

I honestly have not been to blockbuster in almost 2 years. i have a netflix account and i love it. I just didn't know they were offering this service till now.

BustedS13
05-21-2008, 06:14 PM
hell no.

as long as they can stream me bluray quality content. none of that 720p stuff, i want the real deal, 1080p son.

I honestly have not been to blockbuster in almost 2 years. i have a netflix account and i love it. I just didn't know they were offering this service till now.

i just torrent everything. but i could throw down like 20 a month if i could stream whatever i want in HD. they don't have hd content streaming yet, but it's in the works..
and i'm guessing you'll have to settle for 720p/1080i for a long time. 1080i takes just a fraction of the bandwidth a 1080p video takes. we're not ready for that kind of streaming content just yet. that'll probably be another 5-10 years, honestly

Daniel.
05-21-2008, 06:24 PM
i just torrent everything. but i could throw down like 20 a month if i could stream whatever i want in HD. they don't have hd content streaming yet, but it's in the works..
and i'm guessing you'll have to settle for 720p/1080i for a long time. 1080i takes just a fraction of the bandwidth a 1080p video takes. we're not ready for that kind of streaming content just yet. that'll probably be another 5-10 years, honestly

yeah, that sucks.

read this article on current bandwidth usage.

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1034_3-6237715.html

"demand for high-definition video will put an increasing strain on the Internet infrastructure. "Eight hours of video is loaded onto YouTube every minute. Everything will become HD very soon, and HD is 7 to 10 times more bandwidth-hungry than typical video today. Video will be 80 percent of all traffic by 2010, up from 30 percent today," he said."

then read this article on "The Grid". It's supposed to replace the internet as we know it. 1080p content downloads in SECONDS. fuck yeah.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,347212,00.html

DALAZ_68
05-21-2008, 06:46 PM
im an original Netflix costumer...i hope i get a deal on this :bigok:

05-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Damn... i made a post a couple days ago saying how great On Demand was... I need to pick up one of these. Just paying a monthly fee and get to stream as many movies as I want.... awesome.

Bobafreak
05-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Hollywood video is shutting down everywhere dont you know? They are going out of business.

I like blockbuster rentals due to the fact i can store the movie on my computer and watch it later if i want or burn it on a disc.

ILoveMyRHS13
05-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Yeah this thing is pretty rad. We talked about it when it was announced in Economics class so my friend bought $100 shares at $26 each and now it's at $32 and the thing isn't even out yet!

S14DB
05-21-2008, 08:43 PM
according to the site... you just need a netflix subscription. any tier. and you still get your dvd's in the mail. so it's pretty much limitless ondemand of new releases and such for free (plus cost of equipment) on top of your regular netflix subscription.
this is awesome, i might get the lowest possible netflix subscription and not put any dvd's in my queue, and just use this thing. their lowest plan is five bucks a month.

EDIT: this requires an unlimited dvd plan. the lowest UNLIMITED plan is 8.99 a month. once they start packing on more streaming content, this will be well worth it.
i'm a pirate at heart, but this is pretty sweet.
The heartbeat is strong...

http://www.hackaday.com/2008/05/21/media-streamers-buy-or-build/

just1pepsi
05-22-2008, 05:24 AM
Well, I have netflix and a PC that I built specifically to hook to my tv, in order to stream movies from netflix and my network, so I sort of already have this device.. cost me alot more than 99 bucks, but I can also do anything a computer can on my HDTV.

It will be awhile before we can stream blu-ray quality content.

TheWolf
05-22-2008, 07:56 AM
I like my popcorn hour... that thing is the best...

exitspeed
05-22-2008, 08:08 AM
I've talked in depth with people about DL content being the future. We all know it's coming. I foresee that the next, NEXT gen video game consoles will have a choice of either purchasing a hard copy or just DL the entire game.

Currently a 1tb HDD is like $200 retail. The next gen consoles will be out somewhere around 2010-2012. Then around 4-5 years for the next consoles. A 100tb-500tb HDD will probably cost $150. That's more then enough space for dozens and dozens of console games.

kyoru
05-22-2008, 08:26 AM
downloading is definitely the future, to bad the internet speeds around my city are absolutely horrid

just1pepsi
05-22-2008, 08:59 AM
the max blu-ray video bit-rate is 40Mbps (Mega-bits per second)

Average Cable high speed internet is between 3 and 7 Mbps.
Wireless G home networks max at 54Mbps in theory, but never reach that upper limit.

I think it will end up being more like a digital download type of situation, where you download the content onto your device, then view it. Basically how the DirecTV onDemand works currently.

Video formats have exceed what the internet and internet providers are capable of supporting from a bandwidth standpoint.

05-22-2008, 09:10 AM
FiOS!!!

Yeah I agree with exit, HDD's are getting mad cheap I am running (4) 500gb HDD (2 tb) for a total cost after rebate and shipping $189, for 2 tb!

exitspeed
05-22-2008, 09:28 AM
^
The only hole in my theory right now, is the DL speed. With the size of games now and in the future, it'll probably take hours to DL a new game. And can you imagine the type of traffic their servers would be getting on the first day when a game like GTA comes out.

Daniel.
05-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Here's the hands on from engadget.

It only transmits in 480p over hdmi. kinda sucky, but for 100 bucks and unl content. it's awesome. I'm still renting bluray movies from them though. I don't mind waiting 2-3 days in between rentals for 1080p content.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/21/roku-netflix-player-hands-on-first-impressions/

98s14inaz
05-22-2008, 10:58 AM
Blockbuster is still a better deal (IMHO) if you copy the movies. I have three movies show up, I watch them, rip the ones I like to my hard drive to burn to dvd later, drop in mailbox and wait for new ones or take directly to the store and get three free movies.

It is still cool to see technology develop though. I'm happy to see netflix thinking outside the box, competition is good for the consumer.

MTalon
05-22-2008, 11:03 AM
my local cable company is going to break up their internet into bandwidth categories. That is going to be so lame. I guess you get what you pay for?

This thing looks rad, count me in if the reviews are good

MTalon
05-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Blockbuster is still a better deal (IMHO) if you copy the movies. I have three movies show up, I watch them, rip the ones I like to my hard drive to burn to dvd later, drop in mailbox and wait for new ones or take directly to the store and get three free movies.

Netflix is the same thing right now isn't it?

Daniel.
05-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Netflix is the same thing right now isn't it?

yes, minus the retail location pickup/dropoff

eastcoastS14
05-22-2008, 11:49 AM
hmm what about blu ray movies? I have a PS3 and I was under the impression blu ray is better quality than HD, but will you be able to get blu ray quality movies through this?

SimpleS14
05-22-2008, 12:08 PM

Sony plans to deliver a video service through the PS3....but for now its vaporware (i.e. rumor).

FiOS!!!

Yeah I agree with exit, HDD's are getting mad cheap I am running (4) 500gb HDD (2 tb) for a total cost after rebate and shipping $189, for 2 tb!

I have FiOS and the speed is noticable. Link to this HDD deal?

hmm what about blu ray movies? I have a PS3 and I was under the impression blu ray is better quality than HD, but will you be able to get blu ray quality movies through this?

You can't get blu-ray quality through this service.

MikeisNissan
05-22-2008, 12:09 PM
RedBox for the win!

Daniel.
05-22-2008, 12:26 PM

yeah, like simples14 said, no bluray/1080p content.

you can't even get HD 720p/1080i content with this yet.

only 480p which is dvd resolution.

S14DB
05-22-2008, 12:51 PM
The unit is CAPABLE of 1080P. Netflix just rolled this out and doesn't have the 1080p content yet. You can still rent blu-ray from them thru the normal service till they load more movies.

iTV is the only one that has a couple 1080p movies @ 4.99 a rental.

Matej
05-22-2008, 01:03 PM
While this is cool in terms of technology (even though it's nothing special and could've been done 7 years ago), it will only promote the sedentary lifestyle, now I'll have no reason to leave the house.

Daniel.
05-22-2008, 01:12 PM
The unit is CAPABLE of 1080P. Netflix just rolled this out and doesn't have the 1080p content yet. You can still rent blu-ray from them thru the normal service till they load more movies.

iTV is the only one that has a couple 1080p movies @ 4.99 a rental.

yeah... its going to be awhile though.

there was a debate on how netflix was going to charge the customer for this service.

whether to have a tiered price plan based on what kind of content you'd want access to, or to "prorate" the cost of hd content based on how much of it you access etc etc. netflix reported lower profit margins last quarter because they are spending it on web accessible content and not charging customers extra for it.

it's just a matter of time until they figure out how to pass on the costs to customers to increase their profit margins again.