PDA

View Full Version : best way to determine who gets the master bedroom, input needed

BustedS13
05-20-2008, 05:40 PM
a friend and i are buying a house. the house is technically a two bedroom, but the second bedroom is pretty much just the attic. so, we're building a new bedroom where the back porch used to be, and then building a deck around the whole thing. both bedrooms will have sliding glass doors to the deck, both will be the same dimensions. but one will be hardwood floor, and the other will be on a concrete slab. i want the hardwood, original bedroom.
now, we're both fronting equal cash, and we're paying the same per month. we're both doing all the construction and renovation on this house. so we need a method of deciding who gets the original bedroom, and who gets the newjack bedroom.

roshambo? flip a coin? paper rock scissors? Monopoly tournament? poker? what would be the best way to determine bedroom supremacy? please voice your opinion.

k's_silvia2.0
05-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Who ever takes master room pays more duh!

SimpleSexy180
05-20-2008, 05:43 PM
i vote poker.

easiest way settle it. pretty even chance for both of you to win the room. thats if..you dont SUCK at holdem

and yes luis is right. if any one of you is down to shell more cash than the other then WALA!

BustedS13
05-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Who ever takes master room pays more duh!

nah, we're buying not renting, it's an equal investment, can't really make either pay more.

WERDdabuilder
05-20-2008, 05:53 PM
rock/paper/scissors...all on the line with only one try. no 2/3 bullshit. DO OR DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MATCH!!!

the only real way to win anything.

Firestorm
05-20-2008, 05:55 PM
rock/paper/scissors...all on the line with only one try. no 2/3 bullshit.

seconded.

msglength

lflkajfj12123
05-20-2008, 05:56 PM
nah, we're buying not renting, it's an equal investment, can't really make either pay more.

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2007/07/16/renting-vs-buying-the-realities-of-home-buying/

is it really better? or even a valid investment?

k's_silvia2.0
05-20-2008, 05:58 PM

Im sorry ......pay more money than the other.
That right there would be the end of this thread.

BustedS13
05-20-2008, 06:02 PM
http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2007/07/16/renting-vs-buying-the-realities-of-home-buying/

is it really better? or even a valid investment?

after everything's said and done, we have a house and are paying the same as i'm used to paying for a two bedroom apartment. and when we sell the house in a few years, we'll get some/all of our money back. so yeah, it's WAAAAY better than renting :D

DALAZ_68
05-20-2008, 06:08 PM
i would pick concrete...since it tends to be cooler durign summer

juice.def
05-20-2008, 06:09 PM
rock/paper/scissors...all on the line with only one try. no 2/3 bullshit. DO OR DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MATCH!!!

im with him...

Phlip
05-20-2008, 06:12 PM
i would pick concrete...since it tends to be cooler durign summer

I agree with this guy, especially knowing that St. Louis gets hotter than slavery in the summer...
If you can't go for that, then I suggest some kinda skills challenge; plug in the gaming system and play madden (or whatever game you prefer) for the room, grab the ball and go play one-on-one for it. Games of chance might be more fair, like a card game or rock paper scissors, but where would be the fun in that?

qwikspool
05-20-2008, 06:12 PM

^^^i agree.

or if you really want the master bedroom,
just talk it out with your roomy.

Omarius Maximus
05-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Make whoever wants the master bedroom pay the majority of the utilities. If I were buying a house with someone, and the payment HAS to be split even, I'd simply have them pay for cable...etc.

thestreetzking
05-20-2008, 06:20 PM
ok take the concrete slab, and when he thinks he won with the hardwood master bedroom, by all means necessary make your room 1000 times better with more shit and make him hate you lol

Flipzide
05-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Share the master bedroom and then use the spare bedroom as an office/computer room :D.

Hahaha.

Or draw names out of a hat? Each put 50 equally cut pieces of paper in the hat with your names on it then draw.

ESmorz
05-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Box him.

That way you can say you earned it haha

spoolandslide
05-20-2008, 06:29 PM
i say

whoever gets the master bedroom is not allowed to cut his hair
head, beard, mustache, anything
and he also has to be subject to all the humiliation you can muster

when (not if, but when) he decides to finally cut it then you either
1. get to move into the room and try your hand at being a werewolf
2. pay less money and he pays more
3. or just pay more for the room

i think the "all natural" method is the only way to decide on gray areas like these

HyperTek
05-20-2008, 06:29 PM
as long as you can fit a projection screen in your room and make a miny teather/video game room- then id say whichever lol..

Does the hardwood floor room have a better location in the house as to why u want it?

05-20-2008, 06:32 PM
If someone wants the master room they should pay more... that's how i've always done it with my room mates. Currently my room mate pays $200/month more than me for the master bedroom. We both agree it's fair. You just have to come up with something that you both agree on.

mRclARK1
05-20-2008, 06:36 PM
Pistols at dawn.

Then one of you gets both. :keke:

BOROSUN
05-20-2008, 06:36 PM
gwad, i hate sliding doors. i have 4 of them. hopefully we can change it to french doors when we have extra money.

go french doors thats all im saying.

just bet with him on the upcoming ufc 84 fight.
woot woot goooo penn!

buku_points
05-20-2008, 06:38 PM
who's is signing for the house?

HyperTek
05-20-2008, 06:41 PM
go in there and pee in it, mark your territory lmao

chitownguy
05-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Russian Roulette!!

Infamax
05-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Have you talked to your roommate about this? Maybe he could care less which room he gets. If not, then the one who gets the original master bedroom will pay more for utilities.

BustedS13
05-20-2008, 06:43 PM
I agree with this guy, especially knowing that St. Louis gets hotter than slavery in the summer...

it gets hot as shit, that's for sure.

as long as you can fit a projection screen in your room and make a miny teather/video game room- then id say whichever lol..

Does the hardwood floor room have a better location in the house as to why u want it?

yeah, the existing bedroom will have two exterior walls, and both will be covered in shade most of the day. the new bedroom will have three exterior walls and much less shade. no windows on the sunny sides but it'll still probably be a little warmer during the day.

Pistols at dawn.

Then one of you gets both. :keke:

this is the best idea. the second best idea so far is kayak war in the pool we're putting in.

Have you talked to your roommate about this? Maybe he could care less which room he gets. If not, then the one who gets the original master bedroom will pay more for utilities.

yeah, we're both trying to decide on the best way to determine this.

cc4usmc
05-20-2008, 06:46 PM
battle royal

royale? i dunnoo

05-20-2008, 06:58 PM
yeah, we're both trying to decide on the best way to determine this.

Challenge him to an academic decathalon...whoever wins gets to take over the Master Bedroom.

...just don't relate the Industrial Revolution to the children's book "the Puppy Who Lost it's Way."

eastcoastS14
05-20-2008, 07:12 PM
whoever found the place first gets it.....if you both found it together then buck up for it...rock paper scissors best two out of three

TiNMAN
05-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Russian Roulette!!

i second that, sir.

ManoNegra
05-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Shots of tequila till only one of you is left standing.

theicecreamdan
05-20-2008, 07:36 PM
I don't see what's wrong with the master costing a little bit more.
Say 50/50 is going towards investing in the house.

Whoever gets the master buys and cooks dinner once a week or something.

an_orange_s2k
05-20-2008, 07:43 PM

yepp, rock paper scissors, settle everything

illvialuver
05-20-2008, 08:00 PM
see who has the bigger dick, literally, whip that shit out and if your friend is a girl than you atutomatically when. worst comes to worse you could just put hardwood floor in the other room.

don't have any serious input, just that whoever does not get it will feel like they got assed out.

DreamN
05-20-2008, 08:02 PM
"2 MEN ENTER, 1 MAN LEAVES!"

Thunder Dome style only!

ESmorz
05-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Shots of tequila till only one of you is left standing.

Tequila Boxing!!!

Matej
05-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Share it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/76/Gay_Couple_togetherness_in_bed_02.jpg/512px-Gay_Couple_togetherness_in_bed_02.jpg

SW20Racer
05-20-2008, 08:48 PM
take the concrete floor! you will not regret it! paint a cool mural or graffiti the shit out of it. looks so industrial, you'll change your name to trent reznor

or just tile over it. thats always cool too.

low and slow
05-20-2008, 08:55 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3674086557412829233&q=family+guy+epicac&ei=uo4zSInsIpzaqAKV0fDkBA#

But for the room.

chitownguy
05-20-2008, 09:06 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3674086557412829233&q=family+guy+epicac&ei=uo4zSInsIpzaqAKV0fDkBA#

But for the room.

One of the best family guy skits. I agree with this man's proposal and you must also film yourselves when you drink it.

nwmrkt
05-20-2008, 09:06 PM
bme pain olympics style

BustedS13
05-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Challenge him to an academic decathalon...whoever wins gets to take over the Master Bedroom.

...just don't relate the Industrial Revolution to the children's book "the Puppy Who Lost it's Way."

i award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul :love:

But for the room.

not bad, not bad

bme pain olympics style

if he cuts his dick off he can have it.

Share it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/76/Gay_Couple_togetherness_in_bed_02.jpg/512px-Gay_Couple_togetherness_in_bed_02.jpg

that's how we roll already, but we want separate rooms for our stuff. you know, some nights i go over to his place, other times he comes over to mine.

>.>
<.<

Gnnr
05-20-2008, 09:41 PM
You both pick a number and use a random number generator, whoever is closer to the random number wins

That or you can do that thing they do on American Gladiator

http://www.americangladiatorslive.com/gallery/data/516/american-gladiators-20080104052941182.jpg

jibanez
05-20-2008, 11:11 PM
random test of endurance

just1pepsi
05-21-2008, 05:48 AM
*I dont know you so dont take this next part personally, its a general comment, based on my own experience.

First, I think buying a house with a roomate is a bad idea. Unless you two are super responsible and "bester than the bestest" (Yeah I know bester is not a word) of friends this will fail. One of you will get stuck holding the bag, and more than likely the house will get thrashed during the process.

Second, I would say whoever wants the Master Bed, pays more Utilities (not mortgage payment) for the privledge of having the bigger room and all that comes with that.

Figure out how many square feet the place is, divide the utilities up by how many total square feet per person.

Lets say the house is 2500 square feet and each month there is 500 in utilities (talking water, gas, trash, electric) Divide total montly bill by square feet. That makes .20 /sq ft

Now figure out the difference in square feet you have vs. your roomie.
so if you have a 150sq foot bedroom and they have a 270sq ft bedroom
then you have a difference of 120 sq ft or 24 dollars in utilities they pay extra.

Its completely fair that way.

X= (BR1 - BR2) -or- Difference in square feet between Master Bed and normal Bed
(Utils / Sq Ft) * X = extra amount in utilites over half in which whoever wants the MB wants to pay.

If the money doesnt matter to either of you, or both rooms happen to be equal in size, then you just have to have a 12 round bare-knuckle boxing match.. winner takes Master Bed.

Or, maybe you can make a bet on who can not shave/cut their hair the longest, whoever loses gets the weaker bedroom.

vtech8r
05-21-2008, 06:17 AM
either a street race for pinks or a fight to the death would probably be best:bigok:

LeftNutOfGowd
05-21-2008, 06:30 AM
OK theres only one way to see who gets it...

Marshmallow Eating

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOfZPZJHnKg

stiizy
05-21-2008, 08:15 AM
i guess just talk it out and find some kind of common ground..

240trainee
05-21-2008, 08:16 AM
Cage match to the death.

Problem is that you have to find another roomie.

but tell him he gets the small bedroom.

problem solved.

and have none of you read the thread to see that they are equally investing in a house? they aren't renting.

Antihero983
05-21-2008, 09:12 AM
A Duel I Say!!!!

powersteeringless180sx
05-21-2008, 10:51 AM
hard boiled egg eating contest like Cool Hand Luke style....

98s14inaz
05-21-2008, 11:37 AM
You are both paying the same. I understand that.

What I want to know is who fronted the money for the renovation/extra bedroom?

Why wasn't some type of floor covering included in your renovation budget?

It seems like there must be more to this story than we are getting.

BustedS13
05-21-2008, 11:45 AM
You are both paying the same. I understand that.

What I want to know is who fronted the money for the renovation/extra bedroom?

Why wasn't some type of floor covering included in your renovation budget?

It seems like there must be more to this story than we are getting.

we really are both paying the exact same amount for this house. it is 100% equal. we have our home loan and then another loan for renovation costs.
i'm not saying the floor is going to be bare concrete. it will be carpeted when all is said and done.
there is nothing you guys aren't getting. we split a house, we're putting on new siding, roof, new driveway, a car port in addition to the one car garage in the basement, a massive deck and an above ground pool that will be the same level as the deck. house didn't have AC so we're getting central air installed. and as it turns out, all this is a LOT cheaper than i thought it would be. it's just a ton of work.

mRclARK1
05-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Get a group of friends to pick "Jackass" style stunts for you guys.

Find out who wants it more. haha

flip3d
05-21-2008, 11:55 AM
get two identical cars and hit the touge

BBSilvia
05-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Death match...or if you really want who ever pays more thats what me and my buddy are doing, or rock paper sisors

azndoc
05-21-2008, 12:02 PM
I say paper scissor rock best out of three also.

done and done.

cuddlesthesheep
05-21-2008, 12:05 PM
why dont both of you split the carpeting cost for the concrete room.

solved.

BustedS13
05-21-2008, 12:09 PM
why dont both of you split the carpeting cost for the concrete room.

solved.

what? how does that solve anything
as i've stated before everything is 50/50 and the room will be perfectly fine, but we'd both rather have the hardwood room

and i think we're going to finish up all renovation, and then on move in day do rock paper scissors. that's the best way f'sho. and since i've got time, i'm gonna read this.
http://www.amazon.com/Official-Paper-Scissors-Strategy-Guide/dp/0743267516/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211393501&sr=8-1

http://a4.vox.com/6a00bf76d0a19d438300cd97018c2c4cd5-500pi

StaticX27
05-21-2008, 12:28 PM
You coulda put down hardwood floor in the extra room instead of carpet :p

bardabe
05-21-2008, 04:44 PM

what he said.

98s14inaz
05-22-2008, 06:58 AM
we really are both paying the exact same amount for this house. it is 100% equal. we have our home loan and then another loan for renovation costs.
i'm not saying the floor is going to be bare concrete. it will be carpeted when all is said and done.
there is nothing you guys aren't getting. we split a house, we're putting on new siding, roof, new driveway, a car port in addition to the one car garage in the basement, a massive deck and an above ground pool that will be the same level as the deck. house didn't have AC so we're getting central air installed. and as it turns out, all this is a LOT cheaper than i thought it would be. it's just a ton of work.

Then you need to put your foot down and tell him that your room needs to be complete before you'll live in it...you are "equals" after all.

BustedS13
05-22-2008, 10:17 AM
Then you need to put your foot down and tell him that your room needs to be complete before you'll live in it...you are "equals" after all.

dude you're blowing my mind with your lack of reading comprehension

we haven't moved in
we aren't moving in until we're done renovating
neither of us want to live in the concrete addon, so we're trying to decide who gets it
there is no power struggle
we just are BOTH trying to come up with the best way possible to determine who gets what.
and that way is paper rock scissors on move in day.

Phlip
05-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Or you could just kill him, collect the insurance cash, pay the house off, sell and move to something bigger and better.

ESmorz
05-22-2008, 10:26 AM
For some reason I don't think he is the insurance benefactor lol

Phlip
05-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Oh shit!
Details!!!

98s14inaz
05-22-2008, 10:38 AM
dude you're blowing my mind with your lack of reading comprehension

we haven't moved in
we aren't moving in until we're done renovating
neither of us want to live in the concrete addon, so we're trying to decide who gets it
there is no power struggle
we just are BOTH trying to come up with the best way possible to determine who gets what.
and that way is paper rock scissors on move in day.

Then why is it even an issue? Why did you waste bandwidth with a thread about it? Flip a coin for Christ's sake then. If they are both going to be finished then who cares. If you like wood floors better, put wood in the new room. If you like carpet then put carpet. If you built it right that room will be just as good as the master bedroom. My reading comprehension was damaged by your whining and inability to negotiate with a roommate with out going online to discuss what would be common sense to any adult.

trsilvias13
05-22-2008, 11:33 AM
^ agree with 98s14inaz

If no one is moving in instantly and the move will not take place until everything is finish, I would take the new room just because you can build it to your standard. Otherwise you two will be having the same arguement for the new room.... who gets the new room? rock, paper, scissor.

Call it now and built it to your spec. Make it bigger than the master with a walk in closet, bigger bathroom, with a basement that you can hide your guns in, a tunnel to watever drug lord control country to start your own business, add an hallway access to the garage so you can park you car walk 5ft to your bed, watever.

mifesto
05-22-2008, 11:40 AM
if you dont want to divide the mortgage, then the one who gets the master bedroom pays more in tax or utilities.... or if you only have one garage etc etc

Akiros
05-22-2008, 11:59 AM
pay more in utilities. /thread

PRADOgy
05-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Why dont you guys build the second room equally as big to even it out?