PDA

View Full Version : car insurance....wtf???

eastcoastS14
05-19-2008, 06:38 PM
k so as some of you might know I was in an accident last year and totalled my 240, I crashed into a telephone pole with no insurance...so basically i got nothing for it. Cop didnt cite me for anything like wreckless driving or speeding or anything, but the insurance company conducted their own investigation as they always do and ruled that I was more than 50% at fault, which is obviously true. They let me know that my insurance would be going up which I also expected, I dont have collision on my car because its pointless on a 240 so I was paying about $80 a month, now I got the bill for this year with the adjusted rates and it looks like im paying $160 a month!....wtf??? I have a completely spotless driving record other than that and I get into one accident and my payments double??? Sounds like im getting screwed to me, what do you guys think? My cousins actually run the insurance office that I have my car insured with so maybe they can help, its not their company or anything obviously but idk....what do you guys think?

kenshinS14sks
05-19-2008, 06:56 PM
what company are you with? depending on the company and their policies, moving companies may be your best bet

eastcoastS14
05-19-2008, 07:00 PM
arbella insurance

brndck
05-19-2008, 07:08 PM
look into upping your deductible. i changed mine from $500 to $1k and my rate went down $30/month.

flip3d
05-19-2008, 07:10 PM
How old are you?

I suggest Geico. I have the worst driving record in the world and yet I only pay $100/mo for basic coverage.

emersonLP
05-19-2008, 07:13 PM
Ya get some quotes elsewhere. For many things in this world, its cool to stick with one company for a long time, but insurance is NOT one of those things. Its a good idea to try and switch companies every couple years or at least get quotes to see whats out there. But DO NOT get statefarm. They are a bunch of fucktards and dipshits there - personal experience.

kenshinS14sks
05-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Ya get some quotes elsewhere. For many things in this world, its cool to stick with one company for a long time, but insurance is NOT one of those things. Its a good idea to try and switch companies every couple years or at least get quotes to see whats out there. But DO NOT get statefarm. They are a bunch of fucktards and dipshits there - personal experience.

yeah, a couple years ago they passed a law that prohibited insurance companies from giving loyal customer discounts. i don't know if it's stilll in effect but from what i recall speaking to my agent, that was the case. try mercury for cheap rates . . . and call around geico, survival, etc.etc.

Taj
05-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Hey man i have to pay $400 a month liability not even full coverage. I would be happy if i had to pay $160 a monthAnd i have a clean record so dont be so down on yourself, should've been more carefull.

an_orange_s2k
05-19-2008, 09:39 PM
I suggest Geico. I have the worst driving (http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=193405#) record in the world and yet I only pay $100/mo for basic coverage.
hm...so geico actually works eh

RiversideS13
05-19-2008, 09:44 PM
from what i know is every insurance companies have different of calculating formula to determine individual's pricing. so i guess your factors comes out expensive at that company. check around other insurance company and see how much they quote you for insurance.

how old are you? how many year of perfect driving record do you have?

downshift_sideways
05-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Get with a better insurance company.

bmar240sx
05-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Geico is pretty pricey in NY, i do not recommend it

flip3d
05-19-2008, 10:51 PM
I totaled 2 cars within 2 years and got a butt load of speeding tickets. I collectively received almost $25k from State Farm. They dropped me after the second totaled vehicle.

Even after all of that, Geico only charges me $100/month for basic insurance. I'm afraid to ask them about it because they might jack my rates up. Hopefully they go down even more when I turn 21.

eastcoastS14
05-19-2008, 11:07 PM
yeah....its fucked up tho cause Im in MA so we have some ridiculous insurance system where a lot of companies arent available here and something about us not having competitive rates or some shit, so it doesnt really matter what company you go with....idk i forget the exact details but its something stupid like that

wickedS14
05-19-2008, 11:32 PM
It seems like arbella insurance considers you a possible high risk even w/ near perfect record. Try check out geico, all I have is liability coverage and I been involved in 2 minor accidents but my rates haven't gone up. (knockin on wood)

NiSmo240luvR
05-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Geico is pretty pricey in NY, i do not recommend it

yea i recently switched from some small insurance company to Allstate, and when i priced them all out Geico was about $600 a year more.

eastcoastS14
05-19-2008, 11:46 PM
haha just went to their sites and neither allstate or geico is offered in MA

NiSmo240luvR
05-20-2008, 12:44 AM
damn. yea geico and allstate just started being available in NJ a few years ago.

CrimsonRockett
05-20-2008, 01:04 AM
Damn.

I pay $200 every 6 months.

:rofl:

ByeByeSti
05-20-2008, 06:50 AM
Damn.

I pay $200 every 6 months.

:rofl:

ohh wow.. as of right now for just liability, without the insurance company knowing my s14 is turbo'd etc. is 3300 a year.... (sr22 sucks!) got 2 speeding tickets for 20 over in a week so nh decided to screw me. check out Concord General Mutual Insurance company. Max, when i had the audi it was like 1800 with my tickets for liability, and the 240 is 3300

just1pepsi
05-20-2008, 07:07 AM
Insurance is a scam.
That said,

I use progressive.. I get -decent- rates.. for two vehicles 500 deduct, 25/50/25 comp coverage w/ uninsured-underinsured coverage I pay ~1600/yr . For the same coverage on my bike its ~300/yr. -It could be much much cheaper if I diddnt carry uninsured/underinsured coverage (OK has goofy insurance laws)

They cut me some slack when I first started with them because I had not had insurance for over a year before they wrote my policy. They did me a "solid" where Geico, Farmers, Allstate would not.

Every 6 months (renewal time) they usually drop the rates. I had several tickets on my record when I first started my policy, but they have all since rolled off (takes 3 years) and now my rates are more reasonable.

I used to pay close to 200/ month for Liability only on ONE vehicle.

Definately call around and get different quotes. Insurance companies use your driving record, credit report, and demographic info to determine rates and they are all different.

emersonLP
05-20-2008, 09:38 AM
My tickets roll of my driving record after 3 years in GA, but they do not roll off the insurance company records for 5 years.

I use AIG: i only paid like $40 a month for my bare minimum coverage on my 240

Now I pay close to $100 for much better coverage on my Z. I got a pretty good deal

stiizy
05-20-2008, 10:31 AM
try AIG i use them state farm kicked me off after one of my cars were stolen (bastards)

cuddlesthesheep
05-20-2008, 12:02 PM
So anyone else here have a DUI or know anyone that had one.. i'm going to be getting my license back in August with that on my record and i'll be driving an 07 CRV and wondering what the cheapest i can hope to be spending is..

also.. i'm only 20 :(

just1pepsi
05-20-2008, 12:27 PM
i know someone who had two.. she went to court on both though, so I guess it depends.. also I have no clue what her insurance rates were.. it wasnt anywhere near what I was interested in talking to her about at the time.. so all in all this post is totally un-helpful.

I'd bet on it being crazy expensive though, and potentially difficult to find someone willing to insure you.

cisco240
05-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Progressive here. Was paying $160/mo for 2 cars living in Missouri, and now about $200/mo in Cali.
Clean record (last 3 yrs) and I even have an additional $5k in coverage on my 240 for aftermarket parts. The extra coverage only cost an additional $74 every 6 months. Well worth it though IMO.