PDA

View Full Version : mobile phone guru's

s13boy89
05-19-2008, 02:11 AM
I have a Cingular 8125 and I was thinking about upgrading to "Messaging Unlimited" package (unlimited text/IM's) But i noticed my 8125 does NOT have AIM, is there a way to download AIM messenger onto my phone and take advantage of the "Messaging Unlimited" and not get charged 1 cent for using AIM? Or will they charge me per KB/or txt because it is not supported for the phone? I posted this on a mobile phone forum and got no replies.

HyperTek
05-19-2008, 02:21 AM
you got windows on there.. search for chat programs for it

slick, aim+ etc

s13boy89
05-19-2008, 02:48 AM
but if i use one of those programs will it still be conciderd "IM or texting" therefore free with my plan? or will it be charging me per k/bs of data sent back and forth as if i was web browsing?

CKAMC
05-19-2008, 03:39 AM
no, none of the apps from what I have seen for the windows mobile don't work under messaging only as GPRS/EDGE/3G internet

you can get away with 10mb or less internet service if you keep just to aim.

aim+ is probably the best, have it on my 8125 as well... but these old phone models just don't perform just as good as the new ones(8925)

just1pepsi
05-19-2008, 05:14 AM
I'm almost positive my 8125 had AIM on it.. I guess I could be mistaken though.. as said before find an alternative (aim+) If you have the unlimited data plan ($45ish per month) you wont get billed per KB, and I believe IM uses the data network, so your text plan wont cover IM, just SMS texting.

s13boy89
05-19-2008, 05:59 AM
I'm almost positive my 8125 had AIM on it.. I guess I could be mistaken though.. as said before find an alternative (aim+) If you have the unlimited data plan ($45ish per month) you wont get billed per KB, and I believe IM uses the data network, so your text plan wont cover IM, just SMS texting.

dang, 45ish a month is alot just to have AIM on my phone.

s13boy89
05-19-2008, 06:01 AM
you can get away with 10mb or less internet service if you keep just to aim.

aim+ is probably the best, have it on my 8125 as well... but these old phone models just don't perform just as good as the new ones(8925)

what plan do you have that you use your AIM+ with? does it use more data if i log in/out alot or stay logged in 24/7? i would msg back and forth on my aim ALOT , u sure 10mb would be plenty?

flip3d
05-19-2008, 08:59 AM
^ Well, how big do you think an IM is? Few letters are a few bytes.

1000 bytes = 1KB
1000 kilobytes = 1MB

Also, if you had the unlimited data plan and a laptop, you could use your phone as a gateway to the internet.

When I had my BlackJack, I had unlimited data, and could use the internet at 3G speeds anywhere I had signal.

Future240
05-19-2008, 09:18 AM
either that, or since you have a cingular/[email protected] phone, why don't you upgrade to a phone that has it. i went to ebay and bought a great phone for 100 bucks ([email protected]/cingular was chargin 329). Gotta luv sim cards

LeftNutOfGowd
05-19-2008, 10:10 AM
either that, or since you have a cingular/[email protected] phone, why don't you upgrade to a phone that has it. i went to ebay and bought a great phone for 100 bucks ([email protected]/cingular was chargin 329). Gotta luv sim cards

haha just do that, look on craigslist see what there selling.

silviaguy240
05-19-2008, 10:58 AM
i got the 8525 (tilt) it comes preloaded with aim, yahoo and msn messengers, and i got the unlimited data plan for $40 a month, and can stay on as long as i want.

CKAMC
05-19-2008, 01:57 PM
yeah new models come preloaded with aim and stuff, but since I dont have a newer model im not sure if they are apps that get transfered between the data portion or sms

aim+ and other apps go thru the data portion not sms, 10mb is plenty for JUST aim, as long as your not sharing pictures via aim.

unlimited is a bit of overkill if you want JUST aim, but the other nice thing about unlimited other than wireless net access is you can listen to streaming radio stations which are mainly commercial free, or setup your own streaming radio station and broadcast it online and thus your phone can pick it up (and listen to your home collection)

anyways if i keep talkin about it i will drag this on.

just get the 10mb of data, should be like $15 or $10 a month and its all you need for just aim.

IStop4NoMan
05-19-2008, 04:11 PM
i got the 8525 (tilt) it comes preloaded with aim, yahoo and msn messengers, and i got the unlimited data plan for $40 a month, and can stay on as long as i want.

i had the tilt for about a week and took it back.

i couldnt stand the thing and the phone was too hard to use with one hand. had to use the sylus for everything!

i got the pantech phone with windows mobile and i love it. :rawk:

HyperTek
05-19-2008, 04:21 PM
use wifi.. and http://forum.xda-developers.com/