PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here a Property Damage Appraiser?

Fred Allen Burge
05-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Curious if anyone here works in this field, specifically auto damage appraising and how you like the work, pay, hours etc.

thanks,
Fred

240SX714
05-15-2008, 11:21 AM
i am an adjuster and do auto property damage. Some days its damn busy, but like yesterday and today...I've been at home and doing my chores and basically doing nothing. I don't even know what the gas prices are nowadays as I get a free company car and gas. I don't even drive my personal car anymore. It all comes down to what company you work for. From what I hear, don't work for Infinity, the rest is OK. The paid is in doing the Catastrophe Team. The company sends you areas that recently had a disaster (tornado, hail, flood, fires) and you work there for 10-12 hrs./day for 2-3 weeks then move to next are. I've known people who just started and making $80G/yr.+ take home

Fred Allen Burge
05-16-2008, 06:48 AM
Any tips on how to get into it? Many of the job listings I've seen require 2 years as an adjuster or related experience. I have 4 years in the auto salvage business doing damage assesment and inventory of damaged vehicles, do you think that is related enough to have a shot?

The appraiser I spoke to the other day said he was lazy last year and made 55k, sounds very appealing to me! He did say he drives 500-1000 miles a week (holy cow!) and they pay 50c per mile but you have to provide your own car and laptop.

Thanks,
Fred

DreamN
05-16-2008, 06:50 AM
damn, this does sound appealing. More info would be great. :D

PBucch
05-16-2008, 07:49 AM
I applied to progressive two weeks ago but have not heard anything back yet.

I really want to do this kind of work, but I just dont know how to get in and get started....