PDA

View Full Version : Got in an accident...

Jimmy Up
05-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Alright guys, so this morning I was heading to my 8a.m. econ class and I was at the top of the Cal Poly Pomona campus. It is a ONE LANE each way road to the top and at the top right before the entrance to the actual parking lot, the road widens a little bit, but is still one lane. I pulled up to the stop sign, roughly in the middle of the now wider lane and the parking officer in the intersection puts her left arm out (pointing me right), and waves her hand for me to go. I go to make the turn and there was a Volvo that snuck into that area between me and the curb and attempted to make a right as well(but he must have been moving in there because I did not see him AT ALL), well...we hit. Being that it was one lane and that volvo's front driverside corner of his car hit behind my wheel and WHILE that parking enforcer was motioning - is this blame going to be pinned on me.

I know this might sound a little confusing so I drew this not-so-greatly proportioned incident diagram.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/italianstalian008/diagram.jpg

murda-c
05-13-2008, 12:21 PM
Did you signal?

Quail
05-13-2008, 12:21 PM
Sorry to hear this :(

If its one lane it should of been your right of way. Can the traffic officer vouch for you?

Jimmy Up
05-13-2008, 12:22 PM
I did, but he didnt even ask and I was all nervous, so I didnt even tell- its gonna rape me huh?

DrtyRat
05-13-2008, 12:23 PM
I can't see how it would be your fault. The driver of the volvo needs to wait for you to finish moving,whether that be straight, left, or right before they can proceed.

rokmplutonium
05-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Did you get a written statement from the parking officer that was there?

FRpilot
05-13-2008, 12:28 PM
you should ask the officer to vouch for you. it seems like the volvo was getting impatient. i hate people like that, who cut through traffic and don't wait their turn, and try to signal or force their way back in near the entrance.

it's one lane and the officer seemed to direct you. if you were there first, i'm sure you win and hope you have evidence of it. did his front tire hit your back or what?

LongGrain
05-13-2008, 12:29 PM
idk how accurate your drawing should be, but when you are making a right turn you really should be as far right as possible before you make the turn. its not something that makes this your fault, but it probably could have prevented the situation.

but whatever, its still not your fault.

an_orange_s2k
05-13-2008, 12:29 PM
i dont see how it can be you fault at all. if anything just get the officer to vouch for you since she was a witness

PhAtXSuMo
05-13-2008, 12:30 PM
i think i know what u are talking about...

i went to go visit my sister at cal poly i almost had a truck come really close to hitting me, while i was making a right, to be honest i dont know where the truck came from?

i didn't even see it at all anywhere!?

hope your situation gets better and im not sure who to blame or who it is gonna be pinned on =/

murda-c
It's not your fault, this is why i don't inch past cars unless there is actually a turn lane, because i've seen this happen.

!Zar!
It doesn't sound like your fault.

But where you acting like a deer caught in headlights while the cop was motioning towards you?

Maybe the volvo driver became inpatient and went around you because of that?

Either way, it doesn't seem to be your fault.

You really need to talk to the traffic cop that saw it go down.

Also, you need to be confident about your story.

DUFFM4N
05-13-2008, 12:31 PM
if its one lane, then its illegal for him to try to pass on the right
any collision where someone rear ends a car, its always the person behind who's fault it is

Jimmy Up
05-13-2008, 12:31 PM
The driver side of his front bumper hit right behind my front tire.

I think the chick knew that she beefed it and thats why she didnt talk to the cop, the cop kept everybody seperate to ask us what went down and sent us off without speaking a word to anybody else...

Jimmy Up
05-13-2008, 12:37 PM
I hope you guys are right, this would be some bs if I got blamed on this when this guy came out of nowhere and snuck in.

The thing was is that I looked in my rear view mirror going up the hill and there was a black focus behind me and that was at the top, I really dont know how he got in there but I am hoping the officer's pictures show the incident for what it was.

skylindrftr
05-13-2008, 12:38 PM
lol 8 am econ... are you in sutton's class (8 am for me)? i hate that guy, i know exactly where you are talking about too, i dont think that space is considered another lane or a right turn one, you should be able to win this one...

Jimmy Up
05-13-2008, 12:42 PM
no, with Dr. Ahmad Abdel-Rahman. but yea, here's to hoping- thanks for the insight guys.

HyperTek
05-13-2008, 12:53 PM
i think you should be ok.. its that drivers fault, It technically is a single lane, and they decided to pull up next to you..

Bobafreak
05-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Its her fault i had that happen to me before. Same thing what duff said. If you have any witnesses good. take down there numbers and just forward it to the estimator.

exitspeed
05-13-2008, 01:27 PM
g6civcx would suggest you not talking about the accident on here.

Jimmy Up
05-13-2008, 01:29 PM
I am not sure who that is but if it is a problem, please close it or delete it.

Apologies man,
Mike

exitspeed
05-13-2008, 01:34 PM
I am not sure who that is but if it is a problem, please close it or delete it.

Apologies man,
Mike

It's just because it can be incriminating. Even if it's not your fault. He always suggests not to talk about this type of stuff on here.

SimpleS14
05-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Not your fault....and was the other driver cute?

(you don't have to answer that)

FRpilot
05-13-2008, 02:00 PM
should have had the cops make a report and get their opinion, but it sounds winnable, seems like you were ahead if her front bumper hit the back of your front wheel

RiversideS13
05-13-2008, 04:24 PM
i think it is not your fault because you were following the officer's direction in one lane street. one guy in my school had same accident just like you beside he was the Volvo and he was responsible for the damage. Because it was ONE lane street which means it is only for one car traffic.

good luck

WagDatto
05-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Shoulda been like "Bitch, do you know who I am?!" and before she could have said anything, you smack her and be all like "JimmyUP, fool!"

Sucks, sorry to hear that went down, Mike. Not your fault in the slightest, just call up your insurance and give them some info. Try to get that officer's name and number.

PS. Your diagram is cute.

Jimmy Up
05-13-2008, 09:01 PM
Funny thing is, the insurance lady asked for it- I faxed it to her ;)

strongbads240
05-13-2008, 09:08 PM
damn good luck bro

skylindrftr
05-14-2008, 01:39 PM
no, with Dr. Ahmad Abdel-Rahman. but yea, here's to hoping- thanks for the insight guys.
oh nvm, well if u fail dont retake it with him, he makes the classroom smell like shit

jackjack
05-15-2008, 10:22 AM
its not your fault.

just stay on top of things and make sure it comes out in your favor. insurance company's try to screw people every chance they get (what else is new).

Jimmy Up
05-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Yea, I just drove on campus earlier and looked at the spot where it happened, Im going to take a pic and send it to them. There is not a lot of room there at all...

Healtoeae86
05-15-2008, 11:06 AM
just be sure to get the traffic officers side of the story. Also im not sure how it works on a school campus but accidents that happen in parking lots are usually given 50/50 meaning each party is equally at fault.

UNDFTD
05-15-2008, 11:53 AM
yea if he hit the back of anything of yours its his fault.

Vision Garage
05-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Dude i know exactly where you are talking about. and no there isnt much space at all. Its near the Food and service classes are yea? all the way in the back corner.

driftn_silvia
05-15-2008, 12:21 PM
is that street only one lane? if it is one lane the other party is at fault.

the other party should have waited until you decided to do what u were gonna do since its your right of way ... the negligence and impatients of the other party can be seen as his/her fault. even though the street is wide enough to have two lanes, there is only one and its design for one car to either go straight or turn.

Jimmy Up
05-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Here's me keeping my fingers crossed HOPING the insurance companies see it the same way. I really do not need this on my record. Thanks guys.

-Mike

JRas
05-15-2008, 11:32 PM
It's a one lane road, you were in front of the other driver

he attempted to pass you by going into your lane

I don't see how it could be your fault

Jimmy Up
05-21-2008, 08:41 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Just got a message from my insurance company saying that "Although I havent recieved a police report, I have placed you not at fault, and your deductable has been waived." WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE IT!!

05-21-2008, 10:07 PM
It better not be your fault... i hate when people are impatient like that.
Hope everything works out.

p.s nice picture... wish everyone would do that when explaining the "is it my fault?" accident threads.

LoanShark
05-21-2008, 10:16 PM
sounds like he also ran a stop sign.

karl wasabi
05-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Damn. I know that exact intersection. Sucks to hear man. =(