PDA

View Full Version : Machine shop boneage.

LA_phantom_240
05-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Okay, so many of you know that I'm helping a friend get his s13 running again, and had a machine shop rebuild the motor... Well we finally got it timed right, all cylinders firing and everything and it was amazing. I got a drop of oil slung onto my glasses, and looked in the bay to see where it was coming from, and discovered that the oil pan where it meets the front cover was pissing like a waterfall. It was like a waterhose pouring out from the crank! I'm thinking maybe the shop didn't put the seal in right, or even put one in at all.

He's thinking about getting the machine shop to fix what is wrong, and if that doesn't pan out, taking them to court for the cost to have it fixed correctly by another shop. Do you guys have any advice I can give him... other than "Should have rebuilt it yourself"?

Sil-Abc
05-12-2008, 09:38 PM
talk to the shop first and let them know what happened. IF they start to fight then u retaliate but hopefully theyll fix it. just work it out with the manager

infinitexsound
05-12-2008, 09:49 PM
its a seal, pull it back out and seal it again....

LA_phantom_240
05-12-2008, 09:56 PM
talk to the shop first and let them know what happened. IF they start to fight then u retaliate but hopefully theyll fix it. just work it out with the manager

Yeah, we went up there and talked to the guy that actually did the work. He's a young guy, probably no older than I am... and he was being a smartass about the whole thing. I didn't say anything, cause I just wanted to see what he said or knew and what not. I wasn't there to interrogate. So here's the rundown of how it went.

Eric: So yeah, that motor your rebuilt, it has a problem. It leaks oil at about a quart a minute from behind the crank.
Shop guy: You mean like from the back of the engine?
Eric: No, like the crank pulley. Is there any chance you guys could have left out the seal, or installed it wrong?
Shop guy: No. Maybe you have the wrong timing cover, or the wrong seal. See the harmonic balancer presses against the seal, and so oil shouldn't be able to get out...
Eric: Oh, and about the pulley... it doesn't have any timing marks.
Shop guy: Yeah, I noticed that.
*awkward silence*
Eric: Well what do you propose we do about getting this problem solved?
Shop guy: Why don't you take the crank pulley off and make sure you have the right front cover and seal?
Eric: Yeah... I'll let you know how that goes...

At that point we left. As I got in the car I said, "Take the crank pulley off? Fuck that. They ordered the fucker without telling you, and fuck it up? Fuck that. Just pay and have it towed there, and have them fix it. If they wanna charge you, tell them to fuck themselves cause they didn't do it right the first time."

And he's being a big sissy about taking the pulley off. He doesn't want to remove the radiator and the pulley and shit. I'm like, "dude, court could take months. Fixing the seal yourself takes hours, including fucking off and drinking..."

He's being an idiot.

Sil-Abc
05-12-2008, 10:00 PM
if u plan to have them do anymore work, u will have to pay them regardless. best bet is to talk someone of higher rank because usually managers always will help u out otherwise u can turn to the BBB better business beaurau or however u spell it and they will cause a commotion. worse comes to worse ull have to go to small claims court but i hope that doesnt happen

LA_phantom_240
05-12-2008, 10:11 PM
if u plan to have them do anymore work, u will have to pay them regardless. best bet is to talk someone of higher rank because usually managers always will help u out otherwise u can turn to the BBB better business beaurau or however u spell it and they will cause a commotion. worse comes to worse ull have to go to small claims court but i hope that doesnt happen
He paid them to rebuild the motor completely. Not to replace the piston rings and bearings and have it PISS oil.

Ghostdrifter
05-12-2008, 10:52 PM
What shop is this? I live in N.O. so I probably know of them

an_orange_s2k
05-12-2008, 10:55 PM
time for a lawsuit....

just1pepsi
05-13-2008, 05:31 AM
Call them back and ask for the manager or probably that guys Dad. LOL
Dont jump to legal stuff, it probably wont be worth your time. If they cannot get it resolved, I'd just take it somewhere else that specialized in engine builds.

LA_phantom_240
05-13-2008, 05:50 AM
What shop is this? I live in N.O. so I probably know of them

Its Douglas Machine here in slidell.

98s14inaz
05-13-2008, 07:17 AM
Good luck with that. I had a similar issue with Phoenix Turbo (they call them selves something else now). I bought what they said was a "built motor" with "arp" hardware, pistons, bearings, etc. I install the motor and 1000 miles later it starts clacking like crazy and before I could shut it down it throws a rod through the block. I yank the motor, pull the pan, and see that they resused the oem rod bolts instead of the arp stuff I was promised. One of the rod bolts loosened up then sheared itself off. I called them up and they told me "as is" and "we didn't build it". Basically we'll give you some free dyno time but we aren't going to help you with you motor.

Be thankful it's just a seal. Replace it yourself and be done with it. Find a different machine shop from now on.

just1pepsi
05-13-2008, 07:34 AM
a motorcycle shop did that to my uncle, he bought S&S rods, balanced crank, forged pistons, etc. He got the engine back, it wasnt running right, popped the case open and it was taiwanese junk. -- Happens all the time w/ Harleys.. guess you cant trust anyone anymore to do a decent job.

DOOK
05-13-2008, 08:18 AM
He paid them to rebuild the motor completely. Not to replace the piston rings and bearings and have it PISS oil.

exactly, go talk to the manager or owner of the shop and explain the situation. Let them know that you would like to give them the opportunity to remedy the problem and have this remain a decent transaction, and if they refuse, let them know the next people to be getting a hold of them will be the better business bureau and an attorney...

just1pepsi
05-13-2008, 08:21 AM
BBB threats mean nothing to businesses.. thats an empty threat, and an Attorney (unless you actually hire one) is also not going to do anything other than what they would be willing to do at that point anyway (which is nothing) - All that aside, an attorney is more expensive that replacing that seal... by a LONG shot.

AFSil80
05-13-2008, 08:42 AM
I would've talked to the shop owner/manager before approaching the machinist, but that's just me.

That being said, time to talk to his bossman.

240trainee
05-13-2008, 08:43 AM
Yea, they will deny it for days.

If a manager won't help you out, consider it a lesson, and move on. Fix it yourself, never go there again, and tell everyone you meet about the service you received. Court would probably be fruitless, drawn out, and frustrating.

Shit happens.

SW20Racer
05-13-2008, 10:37 AM
BBB threats mean nothing to businesses.. thats an empty threat, and an Attorney (unless you actually hire one) is also not going to do anything other than what they would be willing to do at that point anyway (which is nothing) - All that aside, an attorney is more expensive that replacing that seal... by a LONG shot.

truth.

the BBB might as well not be there as far as im concerned. i've reported businesses who have "BBB member" plaques/certificates on the wall and the BBB basically says "so what?"

LA_phantom_240
05-13-2008, 11:20 AM
So I got a call from him while I was at work (fuckin lunch break now), and he told me he talked with the owner of the shop and he was cool about it. They're gonna pick up the car with their truck, and have a look. I gave him one of my old crank pullies and a brand new crank seal I was gonna use on my car but never got around to. The guy said that they're not gonna charge him for labor and what not, considering that we're not satisfied with the workmanship and that the job was not done correctly for one reason or another. And the kid that built the motor (remember, he doesn't seem to be any older than me, and I'm 20 lol) isn't going to be checking it out.

So it seems that we're gonna get a good solution to this.

240trainee
05-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Excellent.

Thats what should happen. Mistakes happen no matter what business it is, it's how the company handles it. Should have talked to someone in authority to begin with, the machinist doesn't give a shit if it's coming from you, but he will if it's his boss, and the boss will care about the company's name and rep a lot more. Theoretically.

devnull
05-13-2008, 02:26 PM
The guy probably installed the seal backwards.

LA_phantom_240
05-13-2008, 05:32 PM
The guy probably installed the seal backwards.

No. Actually the keyway on the crank pulley wasn't completely aligned properly, so when they tightened it down, it pushed into the seal and when it finally started and got oil pressure, it spewed out of the torn seal. Should be done in a couple days when his Unorthodox pulley comes in. The shop is going to time the ignition, set the tps (which we replaced), and make sure everything in perfect runnng condition before he takes it home.

AFSil80
05-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Good deal, glad to hear it got sorted out.

98s14inaz
05-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Yaaaaaay! That is a great outcome.

LA_phantom_240
05-14-2008, 06:28 AM
Yup. Okay, no more use for this thread. Its done.