PDA

View Full Version : Man made oil?

OKR_240SX
05-10-2008, 01:40 AM
Ok.. I'm bored and I've been watchin "Mega Disasters" on History channel. Personally I think we'll get something else. But I'm a engineering major. And I just wonder. Could we make it?

Really we need peat (decomposed plants and animals), pressure, and heat.

Thoughts?

(And this is just for fun. I already have tons of thoughts saying no)

:keke:

Matej
05-10-2008, 01:53 AM
Yes.
There are already fuel alternatives out there, it's just that at this point none of them are cost efficient enough to be implemented by companies as long as they know they'll rake in higher profits by concentrating on oil, the world runs on money.

OKR_240SX
05-10-2008, 02:25 AM
Yes.
There are already fuel alternatives out there, it's just that at this point none of them are cost efficient enough to be implemented by companies as long as they know they'll rake in higher profits by concentrating on oil, the world runs on money.

yes.. I know that there are other alternatives. And I personally think one of those will happen. But that isn't what i was asking..

I was asking do u think we could make "oil" as in the oil used for our gas.

ayuaddict
05-10-2008, 02:27 AM
i dunno man....

i thought you absolutely needed dinosaurs as an ingredient.

i have no idea.

but wouldn't you be able to make diamonds in the same way?

Koopa Troopa
05-10-2008, 02:36 AM
Yeah it's called synthetic.

Dude there is no oil crisis, there is no global warming. It's all marketing. Corporations are banking off global warming and the sales of smaller more "fuel efficient cars" which also gives them an excuse to keep the stupidly high gas prices high and to even keep them climbing.

Oil is a fucking renewable resource as long as plants and dead things keep decaying and since death and decay is a natural part of life....

OKR_240SX
05-10-2008, 02:36 AM
Well dinosaurs are animals. so i dont see a difference then road kill vs that. but you make a point with diamonds. its basically carbon, but i think it has to do with the heat applied. But I haven't researched it.

OKR_240SX
05-10-2008, 02:38 AM

can that be turned into a gas? i really dont know.

ayuaddict
05-10-2008, 03:16 AM
yea the dinosaurs statement was a joke...

ESmorz
05-10-2008, 03:17 AM
yea the dinosaurs statement was a joke...

As long as you have an IQ not in the double digits, I think you'd catch on to that one... :fruit: <----wtf is that ?

Phlip
05-10-2008, 07:00 AM
Would it be worth it to go to the process of accelerating the process that has created the fuel we're abusing now?
I mean, how much energy will be expended, fueled by conventional fuels to make this in some bigass Rube Goldberg Machine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg_machine)? At the end of it all, will we have wasted more in making it than we would yield in having made it?

DOOK
05-10-2008, 08:25 AM
man made oil.... how about coal liquification?

TheRonTom31
05-10-2008, 08:27 AM
It is honestly time for one of the car companies to grow the balls to put their hydrogen cells into production. I know for a fact Honda has the technology and even has a FG civic full functionang and powered off nothing more than distilled water with some odd slat base added to it. I have even recently seen a commercial run for the car but no price or release date was show.

Some source that I can not guarantee validity from say that there are some 20 hydrogen cell powered civic in the USA right now leased at $500 a month by certain individuals for testing. The biggest problem is that the cars are a huge loss-leader for honda due to the cost fo production and the fact that it is just a civic. I will most deifinitely be waiting till the price of fossil fuels chokes the conventional car into almost extinction before releasing the car.

iwishiwas-all*
05-10-2008, 08:43 AM
its just not economically viable yet..... i mean synthetic motor oil is expensive at that. just thing what 93 octaine would cost if it was full synthetic... its a precentage.... if lets say castrol gtx qt is 40% cheaper than mobil 1 full synthetic... would you be willing to pay 40% more for your gas ( assuming it could be made for 40% more cost)? most people would say no lol.

kandyflip445
05-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Would it be worth it to go to the process of accelerating the process that has created the fuel we're abusing now?
I mean, how much energy will be expended, fueled by conventional fuels to make this in some bigass Rube Goldberg Machine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg_machine)? At the end of it all, will we have wasted more in making it than we would yield in having made it?

That's exactly what they're doing with ethanol. :jerkit:

Mr. Camshaft
05-10-2008, 10:56 AM
It takes a whole lotta pressure and a really really long time before oil is produced from death and decay. It's currently being used faster than the earth can produce it.

Dude there is no oil crisis, there is no global warming. It's all marketing. Corporations are banking off global warming and the sales of smaller more "fuel efficient cars" which also gives them an excuse to keep the stupidly high gas prices high and to even keep them climbing.

Oil is a fucking renewable resource as long as plants and dead things keep decaying and since death and decay is a natural part of life....

Bubbles
05-10-2008, 11:57 AM
My next car will run off bald eagle heads and Fabergé eggs.

eastcoastS14
05-10-2008, 12:10 PM
chuck norris cums pure oil...unfortunately he's accidentally killed every woman thats ever tried to love him, and he wont jack off for fear of the strength of his own hands

FRpilot
05-10-2008, 12:20 PM

still, even if it were a renewable resource, we are using it too quickly for it to replenished naturally. just like trees which are renewable resources, but takes decades and maybe centuries to grow a good supply.

Matej
05-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Graverobbing for oil!

Actually I'd be all up for recycling dead people and animals. I know that sounds super unethical, but for all I care you can throw me in a ditch somewhere when I die.

Though then people would probably start disappearing, Stalin-style.

cuddlesthesheep
05-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Graverobbing for oil!
yeah then we can go munging at the same time!!!

SimpleS14
05-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Synthetic fuel exist, but as someone mentions its too costly to put into mass production and energy companies rather spend the R&D on other alternative fuels (or oils sources).

TheRonTom31 - Various auto manufacturers have been working on hydrogen cell fuel technology for years. The main issue (other than cost) is the fact there is very little to no infrastructure in place to support it. The only solution to this is time....

imotion s14
05-10-2008, 02:55 PM

It takes time on a geological scale for that to happen. We humans will be long gone before then.