PDA

View Full Version : EUROPE: Travel Tips?

drifter101
05-10-2008, 12:15 AM
Well, I'm going to be spending a semester in Rome next semester and I have three day weekends. So anybody have any good places to see in Italy/Europe? or maybe some good traveling tips? Anything would do. Pictures would be nice. Post up where you've been and how it was like. Any advice appreciated.

ESmorz
05-10-2008, 12:20 AM
The Amalfi Coast.

Simply the most "enchanting" place I have ever been.

ronmcdon
05-10-2008, 12:42 AM
just try to plan your trip ahead of time as much as possible. travel in italy used to be cheap when they had the Lira (sp?). With poor dollar to euro exchange rate, it's pretty expensive to go now.

I actually like the city of Bologna the most. it feels like a good mix between the modern and the old. Me and some family members basically just rented a car, and drove around small towns and cities like San Gimigiano, Florence, Parma, Modena, and the Tuscany region. Havn't been there in some time, so I can't offer much advice.

I havn't been to Rome in almost 20 yrs, but I do believe its something you have to go see for the sake of the Colleseo, Vatican City, and other sites.

Oh, try to pick up some Italian too. I had a difficult time trying to get by with just English and rudimentry high-school espanol.

Other than that, I'm sure you'll have lots of fun. Be sure to check out the great food, bring along a good camera, and try to hit on some the hot chicks over there. Italy's one of my fav travel destinations.

240love^_^
05-10-2008, 01:35 AM
I haven't been to Rome, but two summers ago I went on a little trip with my class. We spent two weeks in five places Amsterdam(Red Light District, ENOUGH SAID ), London(expensive), Paris(beautiful), Belgium(good waffles), and Germany(good alcohol). Each place had soooooooooooooo much to see. Unfortunately, we didn't have a lot of time to venture out on our own. I would totally recommend you do venture out on your own(get the feel of places for yourself)

Here is a picture of me in Belgium:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/AHernandez/929063332_l.jpg

My advice:

-Make sure you take lots of pictures!!!!

-Try everything out

-Check out the touristy places
(Even if you think it might be lame it is totally worth it. I climbed to the top of the Eiffel Tower or at least until you have to take the elevator, and it was amazing.)

-Brushing up on the basics of a language always helps. People seemed to be a lot nicer when I asked questions in Spanish instead of English in some places.:loco:

-Don't rely on credit cards 24/7 remember to always carry some cash with you at all times, but not too much!

-Last but not least HAVE FUN!!!! (you never know when you'll get the chance to venture off in a foreign country again! Take advantage of every opportunity)

ronmcdon
05-10-2008, 02:45 AM
^^^
lol, I was in that square in Brussels back in Feb. Yea, the 'Guaffres' were awesome, but so was the seafood and other stuff.

You were lucky to check out Amsterdam back then. I've head that Holland plans to clean up the redlight district and the cafes, so it might not be there for much longer.

Thanks for the photo for Brussels, it certainly brought back fond memories. :)

ESmorz
05-10-2008, 03:01 AM
Go to Naples and get pizza. It will blow your mind.

When I was at a little restaurant we were sitting outside looking at the ocean off like the edge of a cliff. We got our pizza and there was a button on it. The waiter came by and was like "ooooooh there's my button".

It was funny how light hearted they were and he gave us free drinks for that lol.

Oh and the pizza was phenomenal.

240love^_^
05-10-2008, 12:26 PM
You were lucky to check out Amsterdam back then. I've head that Holland plans to clean up the redlight district and the cafes, so it might not be there for much longer.

Aww... that is depressing. Amsterdam is truly a one of a kind place. I'm glad I got to see it before they clean it up. Amsterdam will definitely not be the same without the Red light district.

Matej
05-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Rome is fun you'll have a blast. In Italy make sure to visit Venice of course, then head across the sea to Croatia, their side of the sea and beaches is even nicer.
Europe is full of things to do, you'll find something wherever you go. Check out at least a few castles, they're everywhere.
Nightclubs and good shopping if you're into that.
Public transportation is genius, you can get anywhere.
Also, don't be afraid to try all the food you've never heard of, chances are you'll love it.
Of course you can't go wrong with visiting all the big cities such as Prague, Berlin, Paris, Vienna, Madrid, Stockholm, Krakow, Munich, etc... There are tourist attractions all over.
On the other hand if you're more into mountains, skiing, mountain biking, and nature in general, there's plenty of that too, and you never have to travel far.
A semester is definitely not enough time to see much, make it count.

eli_eli
05-10-2008, 01:39 PM
go to croatia, wont make a mistake, trust me, anywhere along the coast, but the more south the better, warmer sea....but thats at the beginning of your trip, so you can catch the last of the summer season, and then see europe, travel by train...any country or city you pick, you'll have a blast, but if i were you ide stick to the countries around italy, so you dont spend too much time traveling, since you have 3 day weekends