PDA

View Full Version : lolz...when keeping it real goes wrong

arkive43
05-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Thinking of dropping 40K on a EVOX?
You may want to take it easy with that lead foot..

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=337807
http://uploader.ws/upload/200805/pedal1.jpg

My frustration today is indescribable. I have been so in love with the way this car drives over my 05 VIII, that I have been ignoring some of the minor issues...mostly the problem with the tune. Before I say anything, this is THE best driving and handling car I have ever driven...EVER. I have been defending Mitsu here for months against the notchy transmission, poor paint quality, and the 8:1 AFR that they have designed into the tune that makes it idle and drive like piss.

Today...no more...I am royally pissed off.I turned 2000 miles yesterday, and I just happened to be in front of a crowd of STIs and older EVO owners, so I thought I would drive the car with a little enthusiasm....you know....so they could hear the studder and hesitation up above 5800rpm j/k
I pushed the accelerator to the floor as I normally would and the piece of shit broke off completely. I reached down and had the entire pedal all the way to the firewall in my hand. WOW! This is a safety hazzard!!! What if this happened to my 8 months pregnant wife on the highway in rush hour traffic!

So I call my dealer to express my frustrations with me sitting on the side of the road stranded in my new $41,000 car. The dealer has heard NOTHING about this "April reflash" that Mitsu has coming out, nor have they been informed of any other issues. I think the April reflash thing is BS. It was almost 8pm and they were closing, so they said I could have roadside assistance drop the car there and leave the keys in the night drop. I sat on the side of the road in the dark for an hour on the phone with roadside assistance while they tried to find a tow company willing to drop my car at the dealer...15 minutes away. I finally got so sick of waiting that I took my shoe off and wedged my foot up there and was able to press the accelerator with my big toe. I called my wife and had her drive the hour to come pick me up.

So why didn't I spend my $40,000 on a new 430hp Corvette? Good question.

lolz....

Andrew Bohan
05-06-2008, 05:36 PM
what?

who makes plastic pedals?

arkive43
05-06-2008, 05:37 PM
mitsubishi apparently lolz...

sonomadrifter
05-06-2008, 05:43 PM
http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/5/12619405819.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic/8108214)

wow.

I have to agree that better the gas, then brake pedal...

LongGrain
05-06-2008, 05:45 PM
that is pretty sucky

98s14inaz
05-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Holy crap!!! I understand cutting weight but in the scheme of things is the weight of the gas pedal really that big of an issue? I agree, better the gas pedal than the brake pedal.

SlideWell
05-06-2008, 05:53 PM
haha, thats awesome. "you got a heavy foot."
sorry bout the frustration tho.

BustedS13
05-06-2008, 05:55 PM
plastic? are you fucking kidding?

So why didn't I spend my $40,000 on a new 430hp Corvette? Good question.no joke, vette's a formidable machine.

"i seen the way you drive, you got a heavy foot. you'll blow your (gas pedal) to pieces."

arkive43
05-06-2008, 05:59 PM
fyi this is not me...lolz.....with my 40k id get a bad ass truck and the rest in teh bank....

swiftdrift
05-06-2008, 06:05 PM
"Now me and the mad scientist gotta rip apart the pedal, and replace the plastic peice you broke!"

:hammer:

k's_silvia2.0
05-06-2008, 06:06 PM
I hate Mitsubishi!
There some one had to say it.
Firts the eclipse, then the FTO now this?!?!

Andrew Bohan
05-06-2008, 06:26 PM
i expect something called the "metal gas pedal mod" will start surfacing on evo forums

"hey guys is there any other metal gas pedal that fits our cars??"
"lol noob, search for metal gas pedal mod"
"aaaargh when will the noobs learn? mods, lock this"
"ibtl"
"^^ pink for a week"

Bobafreak
05-06-2008, 06:31 PM
^ hahaha! wooooo!

luisgonz
05-06-2008, 06:37 PM
what?

who makes plastic pedals?

Think VW use the same design too. Sucks to own EV0 Hahahaa Sorry had too.lol:bowrofl:

Daniel.
05-06-2008, 06:38 PM
i expect something called the "metal gas pedal mod" will start surfacing on evo forums

"hey guys is there any other metal gas pedal that fits our cars??"
"lol noob, search for metal gas pedal mod"
"aaaargh when will the noobs learn? mods, lock this"
"ibtl"
"^^ pink for a week"

bwahahha.

so sad. but so true. :(

i hope my gas pedal doesnt fall off on my ix

Bobafreak
05-06-2008, 06:44 PM
maybe there will be a company who can provide metal ones for you guys. Thats just a major safety concern. Im just glad he didnt get hurt. Seriously.

azndoc
05-06-2008, 07:54 PM
** Note to self **

Do not buy EVOx.

Done.

an_orange_s2k
05-06-2008, 08:04 PM
damn this really sucks... 2.5k s13 + 30k in upgrades > 40k evo and i'll save 7.5k

BustedS13
05-06-2008, 08:29 PM
damn this really sucks... 2.5k s13 + 30k in upgrades > 40k evo and i'll save 7.5k

base model corvette > that bullshit

YoungGun
05-06-2008, 10:57 PM
What if you have to slam on the brakes. What a piece of shit.

Baka Sama
05-06-2008, 10:59 PM
^ E brake. My friends brakes went out for a full 2 weeks and he used the ebrake to stop the whole time. lol

LB.Motoring
05-06-2008, 11:01 PM
Alot of new cars put clutch and gas in plastic.

Even BMW's....

I think by safety code brake petals will still be made of steel or of a metal material.

BustedS13
05-06-2008, 11:02 PM
What if you have to slam on the brakes. What a piece of shit.

the clutch and brake are both metal, it's just the gas that's plastic. BUT STILL. WHAT THE FUCK.

flclsteve
05-06-2008, 11:03 PM
http://www.videovat.com/videos/971/chappelle-keeping-real.aspx
dave chappelle lol this is what i thought this thread was about.

YoungGun
05-06-2008, 11:05 PM
^ E brake. My friends brakes went out for a full 2 weeks and he used the ebrake to stop the whole time. lol
lol my friend did that with his sti, no front brake pads. And he still did pulls, what a dumbass.

the clutch and brake are both metal, it's just the gas that's plastic. BUT STILL. WHAT THE FUCK.
oh well I guess that's good to know. but still doesn't make up for the plastic pedal AT ALL hahaha.

Andrew Bohan
05-06-2008, 11:07 PM
ahaha yea all those are instant classics

jrocslider
05-06-2008, 11:12 PM
wow.

i work at an auto parts store and this guy came in all cocky and shit saying he wanted a K&N filter for his new evo and he was like "is that ur nissan? why dont u get a new car?" and he was mad cause we didnt have anything for his car. he kept on talking as if i cared saying things like "it sucks to be like one of the only guys in the city with this car cause blah blah blah and i've found parts for it but that japanese crap is too expensive"

i should have sold him the metal pedal mod.

RiversideS13
05-06-2008, 11:20 PM
lol a kia's gas pedal might be even stronger than evo

Wykydtron
05-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Remember a few years ago when idiots were destroying there all their clutches by trying to launch there Evo's? This is what Mitsubishi does for payback!

WilloW
05-06-2008, 11:37 PM
I've got to remember this for the next time a cocky evoX owner come mouthing at me. It's like the ultimate come back.

http://photos.freshalloy.com/gallery/d/37436-2/Evo+X.jpg

drift freaq
05-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Wow I knew there was a reason I hated Mitsushittys!

Matej
05-07-2008, 12:35 AM
There are many newer cars with plastic gas pedals, some also have plastic clutch pedals.
Personally I think it's pretty dumb and one of the worst parts to save weight/cost on, and while cheaper commuter cars may get away with it, I don't get why anyone would put them in sporty cars that people tend to abuse, it's trouble only waiting to happen.
I'm pretty sure there will be more plastic pedals snapping in the future from a combination of age, wear, and people stomping on them.

dirtdiggler666
05-07-2008, 12:49 AM
fuck it the pedal breaks this soon in the game i call recall ghetto ass cars

PhAtXSuMo
05-07-2008, 12:55 AM
LOL i think they were trying to go for less weight, think about it, mostly the interior is made out of plastic even the fucking gas pedal for crying out loud.. even though with all the plastic..it is the heaviest evo out there lmao

Andrew Bohan
05-07-2008, 01:34 AM
gotta make plastic motors
and plastic body
and plastic windows

ronmcdon
05-07-2008, 02:00 AM
I don't think you can jump to conclusions based on one isolated incident. But yes, Mitsu is getting a lot of dissatisfaction from various quality issues from the evo forums. exterior paint durability being absolutely horrid. I speak from first hand experience.

mitsu's way of engineering cars is totally inconsistent. A lot of the components in the evo are designed really awesome, esp the s-awd, driving dynamics of the vehicle, 4b11 motor, ride comfort, excellent dsg-like tranny etc. Car drives like a dream. Other things arn't befitting of a 30-40k car, like a 5-spd manual, no height adjustment for the seats, cheap faux carbon-fiber interior trim, and maybe other stuff. still, pedals snapping is more than a quality issue. It's a serious hazard, esp if tracked.

Ultimately, if you choose to buy an evo, i think you should be prepared to take the risk that comes along with purchasing any mitsu in general. that's just part of the price when you get an evo. You really have to love the car in order to be able to put up with those things.

ronmcdon
05-07-2008, 02:12 AM
LOL i think they were trying to go for less weight, think about it, mostly the interior is made out of plastic even the fucking gas pedal for crying out loud.. even though with all the plastic..it is the heaviest evo out there lmao

i really doubt it was done for the sake of weight savings. more like cost-cutting. it's stupid. any bad publicity or lawsuit b/c of it would more than void any meager profits they might have made by skimping out on such an important part.

JohnJohn86
05-07-2008, 02:20 AM
It is designed to break in a crash so it won't crush your foot. But it is too weak for the lead foot.

just1pepsi
05-07-2008, 06:06 AM
Are those drive by wire? (pedal doesnt move an actual cable) If it is, his dumbass probably stomped on the pedal too hard.. I mean, think about where it broke. Im not a Mitsu fan, but there is more to the story or something.

BustedS13
05-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Ultimately, if you choose to buy an evo, buy a WRX instead

i fixed that for you

IStop4NoMan
05-07-2008, 11:15 AM
This is just mitsus new way of making a rev limiter.

ronmcdon
05-07-2008, 12:24 PM
i fixed that for you

nah it would be a 135 (or maybe even a used C5 z06 instead). more or less the same price as an evo if you take the bmw performance ctr or euro-delivery w/ modest options.

As for the WRX, I just don't care for the light steering and comfort-orientated seats on wrx's/sti's. I also not a fan of their softened-up approach on the '08s. Not really good for a daily considering the 20-26mpg, and not that effective as a track car either. I've owned a sti before, test drove the 08' and certainly won't get another. reliability and quality issues aside, the X is FAR superior to the 08 STi imo, especially when it comes to overall feedback and steering precision.

LeftNutOfGowd
05-07-2008, 12:41 PM
I've got to remember this for the next time a cocky evoX owner come mouthing at me. It's like the ultimate come back.

http://photos.freshalloy.com/gallery/d/37436-2/Evo+X.jpg

Thats what you get when you buy a car that looks like a R/C car its going to be made out of plastic parts lol

BUT sorry to hear that man mitsubishi is gettig cheap with parts now

ESmorz
05-07-2008, 12:50 PM
So not only does it look like a catfish... but it has a plastic gas pedal.

Oh I can't wait for an EVO owner to give me shit.

just1pepsi
05-07-2008, 12:52 PM
It does look like an RC car.. good call.. looks like that pedal is made out of stiffezel (the plastic Losi makes their cars out of) .. pretty funny now that I think about it.. a plastic gas pedal.

exitspeed
05-07-2008, 12:57 PM
That is garbage.

Mitsu's vehicles are hit or miss.

I had a 3rd gen Eclipse that was bullet proof inside and out, top to bottom. I beat that car at the drag strip week after week and it was my daily. It never gave me one ounce of a problem.

ronmcdon
05-07-2008, 03:05 PM
So not only does it look like a catfish... but it has a plastic gas pedal.

Oh I can't wait for an EVO owner to give me shit.

I'm an evo owner and I applause you expressing your opinion. the more controversy the better. hopefully all the bad pr will give mitsu incentive to get their act together and clean up this and other issues.

as for the looks of the car, its all subjective so I really see no reason to take offense if someone doesn't like the way it looks. my old pig-nose subaru and my pos crx achieved far more ridicule.

much of japanese cars are really losing credibility in reliability these days. first I hear of the 3rd gear issue in my newer civic and Honda not fessing up for the longest time, and now this. I'm probably going to buy a bmw or gm product next time around.

kinda OT - but whoever blows $40k on an evo x, is a goddamn idiot. I got mine for 33.5, well optioned. It's not like they're in short supply either.

HyperTek
05-07-2008, 04:39 PM
WHAT YOU EXPECT? FERRARI-LIKE QUALITY?

EVO is just a hopped up version of their economy boxes.. even tho they are pretty cool.. its still a hopped up version of a rather lesser quality car. They made some decently cool factor cars, but didnt hold their value.. starions are kinda cool dispite their not that great compared to other cars.

Im gonna take a guess that this owner was a fatass, or someone who smashes on teh gas alot..Probably tried to press the gas pedal beyonds its travel limit.i doubt that mitsu didnt think of that ever happening.

Like SUVs flipping over, i doubt the car makers had that in mind, people just flip em and then blame the manufacturer.

turtl631
05-07-2008, 06:39 PM
So, they take measures to reduce weight like making a plastic gas pedal, but the car still comes in at around 3500 lbs? wtf?!

Definitely not feeling the X. At least the STI is a hatch now, so it has that element of utility and trendiness. Interior on the STI is also really nice IMO, at least compared to previous AWD turbo cars we've gotten. I hated the Evo VIII/IX interior, totally gross.

ESmorz
05-07-2008, 07:24 PM
WHAT YOU EXPECT? FERRARI-LIKE QUALITY?

EVO is just a hopped up version of their economy boxes.. even tho they are pretty cool.. its still a hopped up version of a rather lesser quality car. They made some decently cool factor cars, but didnt hold their value.. starions are kinda cool dispite their not that great compared to other cars.

Im gonna take a guess that this owner was a fatass, or someone who smashes on teh gas alot..Probably tried to press the gas pedal beyonds its travel limit.i doubt that mitsu didnt think of that ever happening.

Like SUVs flipping over, i doubt the car makers had that in mind, people just flip em and then blame the manufacturer.

That's not entirely the same thing. EVERY gas pedal should be metal. It has to take a lot of stress. Even if it was some lead footed fat ass.

It's kind of an essential part of the car to have not break...

How hard is it it to have be metal? Like for reals?