PDA

View Full Version : Out of Contract: ATT vs T-mobile

S14DB
05-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Through a technicality I am getting out of my AT&T contract. Of course they want me to sign up for a new contract and get a new phone. The other option is to go to Tmobile. I won't goto Sprint/Verizon cause the PCS network sucks around here. Their phones suck and are a pain to upgrade in contract. GSM or nothing.

Want to trash this crapjack. I'm ether thinking Sidekick LX or iPhone. Crackberry's don't do it for me. Anything else I should look at in the store while I'm there? I have to do it like tomorrow cause they want to cancel the old contract ASAP.

azndoc
05-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Get the iphone.

It's legit.

But then you'd be like me.

biter.

LB.Motoring
05-05-2008, 12:49 PM
3G iPhone what?

Daniel.
05-05-2008, 12:50 PM
T-Mobile is going to be launching their 3G services in 20 major markets by the end of the year. They also already support UMA. ( making calls over wifi)

All in all, things are finally looking good for T-Mobile. (the sidekick sucks btw)

AT&T in the long run, AT&T is going to have better coverage but their prices will always be much more expensive.

AT&T has faster data, more coverage in better areas. A few years from now, they will have launched their 700mhz support which will provide even better coverage and penetrate buildings a whole lot better.

So my question for you is, how far ahead are you looking in terms of cellular provider?

T-mobile and at&t both have pros and cons, i guess it just depends on what kind of cellular user you are. A power user (email, internet, make a million calls all the time all over the place: get at&t)

or are you a casual user? (get t-mobile)

stiizy
05-05-2008, 01:37 PM
iphone the new one comes out next month from what i heard...

SochBAT
05-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Of those two, i'd say AT&T. Better coverage, better customer service.

iPhone > Sidekick.

Sidekicks are for whores. unless you wanna be one, then thats cool Apple Jacks.

Taniguchi_Is_#1
05-05-2008, 02:21 PM
my cousin works for tmobile. he gets free everything. the service and reception still sucks. att get.

ALTRNTV
05-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Sidekicks are for whores. unless you wanna be one, then thats cool Apple Jacks.I'm the biggest whore though Cheat. Remember? CBM? lol

I only use my Sidekick for mass texting and AIM, because
of my promotional production.

I'm looking to get a new phone though, probably an iPhone
or Blackberry. But I still need AIM at all times. ;)

S14DB
05-05-2008, 02:29 PM
I need a phone this week. I don't care what comes out next month cause I won't buy a new phone for 6 months to a year.

-What phone do I get now. This week.
-What service will last me two years.

240trainee
05-05-2008, 02:42 PM
I have been perfectly happy with t-mobile and my crackberry.

and it's like $75 a month for like 1000 minutes, unlimited data, and insurance on the phone, AT&T would be around $100 for similar service, at least by me.

I have really latched onto my blackberry, though, I didn't think I would. Would like to get an iPhone, my contract is up end of this month, but I haven't decided yet. Would be easier, as there are some compatibility things between my Macbook and Blackberry.

Daniel.
05-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Too bad you don't like crackberries.

Over the past 5 years working in the cellular industry, I've come back to blackberries time and again.

If you can wait about 4-5 weeks, stick with AT&T and renew your contract to get the new iPhone. They are being manufactured as we speak, and will be shipping very soon.

jrbump
05-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Do yourself a favor and stay off contract.

I get a new phone every year or so via the replacement insurance and it only costs $50.

When I am unhappy about something I call and demand a credit, usually I get taken care of pretty well.

When you are on contract you have no leverage, if you are unhappy it's gonna cost you to leave. The phone company knows this and they make decisions accordingly.

drftwerks
05-05-2008, 03:54 PM
how long till new i phone, and what companies will it be with? and how much, i only got like a month or two on my current contract w/ verichargemeouttheassforeverytingzon

Daniel.
05-05-2008, 04:02 PM
how long till new i phone, and what companies will it be with? and how much, i only got like a month or two on my current contract w/ verichargemeouttheassforeverytingzon

Bryon,

Probably in 4-5 weeks, only with AT&T and it will be 199.99 with a 2 year contract renewal.

Farzam
05-05-2008, 04:19 PM
From my experience;

T mobile doesn't get the best service...and sidekicks are awesome, but some of the shit is just straight stupid. Idk about the sidekick LX, but if you have no service your phone is basically a paperweight...can't do SHIT.

S14DB
05-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Do yourself a favor and stay off contract.

I get a new phone every year or so via the replacement insurance and it only costs $50.

When I am unhappy about something I call and demand a credit, usually I get taken care of pretty well.

When you are on contract you have no leverage, if you are unhappy it's gonna cost you to leave. The phone company knows this and they make decisions accordingly.

I don't have this luxury. They are terminating the contract this week. I have to sign a new contact to continue service. It's a Loophole I am exploiting. I can not go without phone service for a month. That iPhone deal in a month will prolly be worthless to me.

Looking at the iPhone or the Tilt. Cause it looks like ATT is the way to go?

What is good about the crackberry? I don't like the UI unless there are mods/apps I'm missing that make it better.

S14DB
05-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Humm

http://www.wireless.att.com/global/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/sonyericsson_z750a_gray_l.gif
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=Sony+Ericsson+Z750a+-++Gray&q_sku=sku2380276
+

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/

FTW?

Future240
05-05-2008, 08:29 PM
I would say get AT&T. One of my friends has t-mobile, I was on my way to his dorm room, i stood right outside of the building and called him 4 times. No answer either time. I finally got inside cuz someone was coming out, when I got to his room I asked why he didnt pick up. He said hsi phone never rang, I picked it up looked at it and didnt see any missed calls or signal. Yet mine AT&T was full bars. T-mobile gives you a shit ton of minutes, why? Cuz you will never get to use them

HyperTek
05-05-2008, 10:52 PM
I had tmobile my first contract back in 02.. then went to at&t... crap coverage at my house.. went to tmobile, its a little cheaper.. and i got way better coverage now..

Ask people who had both and go from there.. not people who say "go wit so and so".

Sidekicks are gay , mostly targeted towards the urban life! word up son!

Go with one of the smartphone/pdas... i went with a tmobile wing and modded it, its way cool and just as cool as a iphone, just doesnt have the coolness factor of the name.. Blackberrys are really good from what ive researched. Both companies offer em.

peep out http://www.wirefly.com/ thats where i went through, you can compare the services and see what phones they got.

flclsteve
05-05-2008, 10:58 PM
love my iphone no problems with atnt kinda pricy but worth it umm waiit for the new one or buy mine for 320 :)

usdm180sx
05-05-2008, 11:04 PM
T Mobile has a package for $49.99/month that hass 3000 anytime minutes. Best deal I've seen. Get teh iphone, download ziphone.com and jailbreak, activate and unlock it all at once. The only drawback is that at&t is the only carrier to offer visual voicemail. However, to get that feature it costs $20 per month thru at&t. Forget that.

flclsteve
05-05-2008, 11:08 PM
T Mobile has a package for $49.99/month that hass 3000 anytime minutes. Best deal I've seen. Get teh iphone, download ziphone.com and jailbreak, activate and unlock it all at once. The only drawback is that at&t is the only carrier to offer visual voicemail. However, to get that feature it costs $20 per month thru at&t. Forget that.
what do u do for internet norm? and if u still need those cases for yours hit me up

usdm180sx
05-05-2008, 11:48 PM
what do u do for internet norm? and if u still need those cases for yours hit me up

The phone came with safari so I use that for now when I'n in a wifi area. I hear firefox is the way to go though. gonna check out other iphones with it. Can you get teh clear protective strips for teh glass?

iphone is awesome. i got it b/c my crackberry was on its last leg. good phone tho but it only has 2gb memory where iphone has either 8 or 16gb. still waiting on teh 3g thing. it'll be awhile before it operates at 100% efficiency.

drift freaq
05-06-2008, 12:05 AM
I have T Mobile. I switched to the Unlimited plan for $100 I get everything for that price. Text, Internet, unlimited calls Nationwide. I used to have Cingular/ATT their customer service bites ass. It closes at 9:00 p.m. pacific and opens back up at 7:00 A.M. and is closed on sundays. I am sorry but a mobile phone company should have 24/7 customer service. I have no problems with my T-mobile service that I have not seen on other providers as well including ATT. They all have holes in certain areas they all have certain area's were their coverage is better.

This is not Europe or Japan. Its the fucking U.S. and their are coverage holes on all providers. P.S. in California having T-Mobile is equal or almost better than ATT because they share towers under a grandfathered agreement before Cingular bought ATT wireless. In fact in some area's the T-Mobile coverage is better because they have been adding towers. T-Mobile is to be watched Deustche Telecom the parent company and 2nd largest mobile provider in the world is commiting 13 billion dollars to building out the U.S. market.

TiNMAN
05-06-2008, 12:08 AM
SPRINT F&F SERO PLAN FTMFW!! $30/month UNLIMITED errthang.

its super cutty tho. gotta pulls somes strangs

ALEXTHESUS*PECT
05-06-2008, 12:09 AM
i've had t mobile for years, with no problems. but alot depends on location i'm sure.

SochBAT
05-06-2008, 03:31 AM
SPRINT F&F SERO PLAN FTMFW!! $30/month UNLIMITED errthang.

its super cutty tho. gotta pulls somes strangs

No its not.

If anyone wants a SERO plan, HOLLA.

Actually, www.sprint.com/SERO
check out the plans
And you guys don't have sprint employee emails, but i do, but who cares.

Just call (888)882-4030 For new accounts only.

If you wanna upgrade, holla.

rowdogg03
05-06-2008, 04:05 AM
I have had every sidekick.. But got the Iphone when it came out last August..

I love my iphone.. I use every feature in the phone, and everything is very user friendly.. I cant say enough good things about it.. There are a couple neg things about the iphone like no GPS (which will probobly be changed with new 3G phone) and no copy/paste.. there are other small annoying things that suck but all in all it is the best phone EVER made..

Iphone FTW

edit- Although... Tmobile and their customer service is second to none..
That is one reason I miss Tmobile..

flip3d
05-06-2008, 07:46 AM
at&t FTW!

I joined them back then they were AT&T, then Cingular, then at&t again. Believe it or not but I still have my original plan from when Cingular took over. Cheapest service ever... for me at least. I have 6700+ rollover minutes too.

Daniel.
05-06-2008, 10:39 AM
just stick with at&t...sigh

:/

drftwerks
05-06-2008, 12:29 PM
you can hook it up on new iphone dan?

Daniel.
05-06-2008, 12:32 PM
you can hook it up on new iphone dan?

not personally, but hit me up when you're ready. I have a few buddies that work for at&t

S14DB
05-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Yeah I'm gonna stay with ATT. Seems to have the best coverage/plans here.

I am tempted to get a Sony Z750a and a iPod Touch. Maybe a N75. When I was having shit with my crapjack I was tempted to get the z750a. Seems like a better solution to have a Phone and a iPod, Not both. Cause the Touch seems to do everything the iPhone can without the cell part.

Tilt Seems like what I wanted out of a Windows Mobile phone but didn't get with the blackjack. A lot of people like HTC.

So,
ATT.

Then,
Z750a+Touch OR Tilt OR iPhone?

Daniel.
05-06-2008, 05:04 PM
i say get the tilt or iphone.

flip a coin

TiNMAN
05-06-2008, 05:06 PM
No its not.

alrite everything but my daytime minutes. i dont use it much during the day anyway. shit..or at night. your boy is lonely. :wtc:

Matej
05-06-2008, 05:31 PM
AT&T lied to me a bunch of times about how much I'd pay, then when the bill came it would always be a lot higher than what I was told, and when I complained they said they don't know what I'm talking about, and always made excuses about how I was on an outdated plan or something along those lines.
When I finally decided to switch to T-Mobile suddenly they were offering me everything for half what I was paying until then, but I just told them no thanks I'm done with you muahahaha.

SochBAT
05-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Did you know you could run SKYPE off teh iPOD touch?

i'm tryin to acquire myself one and try it for kicks.

but its still no Iphone.