PDA

View Full Version : Interesting bit of news about a new BMW 1 series competitor from Infiniti...

dorkidori_s13
05-02-2008, 11:17 AM
so i was reading thru autoblog.com (im in love with that site) and noticed the news bot on zilvia TOTALLY missed it...

they had posted an article talking about how infiniti has a new "BMW 1 series fighter" in the works...this gave way to a REAL good hypothesis that i already had working in my mind...

infiniti has stated that by like 2012 they want to have 10-15 new cars in their line up...in the 1 series fighter article they mentioned that they needed a new "entry level" vehicle as well (hence what the 1 series is for BMW)...check this idea out...

over the last year there have been more rumors about a new silvia than ANYTIME in the past 6 years since nissan ceased its production...and with infiniti planning a new 1 series fighter...this could be even more fuel for the "2010 silvia fire"...think about it...the G20 was the last "entry level" vehicle for infiniti...and that was back when infiniti still had FWD cars in their line up...since they got rid of the G20...there have been NO FWD cars in their offerings...to make a 1 series fighter...the car would HAVE TO BE RWD...no ifs ands or buts about it...what better chassis would this car be built on than a modified S series chassis (like a new S16 hint hint)...and it would have to offer AT LEAST 250-275hp (which is rumored to be what the new silvia will produce using an unnamed turbo 4 cyl engine setup)

if infiniti were to use the S16 perse'...it would use nissans "$22,000-23,000" silvia chassis...add a few "luxury" goodies...and price it up to say the $27,000-$30,000 range...which would be priced DIRECTLY to compete with the 1 series (since the G35 is aimed more at a M3 fighter)...it would offer VERY similar performance...and really be a pain in the ass for BMW

just some food for thought...

steve shadows
05-02-2008, 11:24 AM
show me an article

TurboNetic05
05-02-2008, 11:24 AM
hmmm... thats pretty interesting.

You should be like a detective or somethin. haha. i would have never thought of that ever. ha

!Zar!
05-02-2008, 11:25 AM
I did find that the paint on the 1 series cars looked like crap.

Not really pertinent information.

Just that it had HELLA orange peel.

TurboNetic05
05-02-2008, 11:25 AM
um... double post. my bad

dorkidori_s13
05-02-2008, 11:26 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/01/infiniti-wants-a-1-series-competitor/

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/05/08_ex08_450-op.jpg

Infiniti wants a 1-series competitor

Posted May 1st 2008 2:29PM by Damon Lavrinc
Filed under: Coupes, Euro, Crossovers/CUVs, Hatchbacks, Infiniti

Infiniti is gearing up for its entrance into Europe, but something's missing from its lineup: a small car. With BMW's 1-series being a popular choice for badge-obsessed consumers abroad, Infiniti needs something similar to solidify its place in the luxury hierarchy, but what form it will take is unclear.

According to Autocar, Infiniti insiders are planning to unleash something that aims to compete with the Audi A3 and BMW 1-series, but unnamed sources at Infiniti are quick to point out that the shape will be something entirely different than what's currently being offered by its competitors. The two options, according to Autocar, include a smaller crossover that would slot in below the EX35 or a hardtop convertible. Whatever it looks like, expect the new B-class Infiniti to be revealed sometime in 2010.

[Source: Autocar via JustAuto - Sub. Req.]
Tags: 1-series, a3, audi, bmw, europe, infiniti

Antihero983
05-02-2008, 11:42 AM
ill take mine in Satin Black with black TE37s.

dorkidori_s13
05-02-2008, 12:26 PM
ill take mine in Satin Black with black TE37s.

yah...no shit huh

i just wish nissan would come out and say that theyre making a new intro level 4 cyl rwd turbo sports coupe already...theyre missing out like WHOA right now and its SO obvious theyre gonna make one *rolls eyes*

and like ive said before...FUKIN HYUNDAI HAS A 4 CYL RWD SPORTS COUPE COMING OUT IN 2010!!! GET ON THE BALL NISSAN!!!!

s14_legend
05-02-2008, 12:33 PM
good post...yup nissan needs to get on its game, bring back the silvia already nissan....as long as it looks decent ...as in following the similar body lines as the old silvias....we are all here waiting

azndoc
05-02-2008, 12:36 PM
sr20vet i read somewhere ia the engine to be used.

Don't know how true that is.

I think i read it on drifting.com ( yeah zilvia was slow and i was bored)

dorkidori_s13
05-02-2008, 12:39 PM
good post...yup nissan needs to get on its game, bring back the silvia already nissan....as long as it looks decent ...as in following the similar body lines as the old silvias....we are all here waiting

you guys are so funny with the comments of "as long as it looks like the old silvias" (and im not saying this as an insult either)

cars NOW cannot look like they use to at all...the main reason for this is because of safety regulations in cars...the cars of today have ALOT more reinforcements in them than the did 10-15 years ago when the S13 and S14 were on the market

another reason is sheer interior size...the car market now requires ALOT more interior space than it did 10-15 years ago...look at the 350z...its similar in size to the S13/S14...BUT...the interior space is HUGE compared to an S chassis...cars have gotten ALOT taller and a bit wider since the cars we knew in the 90s

the next silvia WILL look like the 350z/G35 given its being built on the FM chassis

dorkidori_s13
05-02-2008, 12:43 PM
sr20vet i read somewhere ia the engine to be used.

Don't know how true that is.

I think i read it on drifting.com ( yeah zilvia was slow and i was bored)

the SR20 engine is done...period...its dead...why would nissan use engine technology that was developed in the late 80s??? nissan ceased production of this motor in its vehicles years ago...and by todays standards (when compared to say the VQ35HR)...its a dinosaur as far as engines go...id love to see what nissan could do with a 4 cyl turbo motor now...the SR20 was an awesome engine when it was introduced in the early 90s...imagine a new 4 cyl 2.0 turbo engine now from nissan

the new 4 cyl motor (if its an actual nissan motor and not a renault motor) will more than likely be a MR20...its a new motor that uses similar technology used in the VQ35HR

cisco240
05-02-2008, 01:04 PM
...if infiniti were to use the S16 perse'...it would use nissans "$22,000-23,000" silvia chassis...add a few "luxury" goodies...and price it up to say the $27,000-$30,000 range...which would be priced DIRECTLY to compete with the 1 series (since the G35 is aimed more at a M3 fighter)...it would offer VERY similar performance...and really be a pain in the ass for BMW...
I don't think the G35 as an M3 fighter at all (at least not stock), regular 3 series, yes. But not M3.
This would be a great thing for Infinity though. Hope it goes through.

ayuaddict
05-02-2008, 01:42 PM
i guess this is cool.

i mean, im pretty much only interested in the motor.

but nowadays they got all the fancy e throttle and shit and its gonna be a pain...

Jadeskyline
05-02-2008, 02:09 PM
If all of this is true im onboard.....if not ill have to settle for the genesis coupe :(

decco
05-02-2008, 02:19 PM
the new 4 cyl motor (if its an actual nissan motor and not a renault motor) will more than likely be a MR20...its a new motor that uses similar technology used in the VQ35HR

Besides the MR20, I would think the QR engine could be a possiblity as well.

Bubbles
05-02-2008, 02:19 PM
I gotta be honest, I didn't read the first post and never will.

CKAMC
05-02-2008, 02:36 PM
they are slowly trying to kill the QR already, MR is the new in motor

smelly240
05-02-2008, 03:00 PM
The MR20det is apparently in a renault already in the megane turbo... i dont forsee them using the QR much longer - its a peice of crap.

250sxdet
05-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Maybe to save cost, they will use a vq25det?

dorkidori_s13
05-02-2008, 03:41 PM
the QR series engine is built in america...nissan is working on phasing this motor out i believe...the QR has had so many problems with engine failure due to things breaking off internally and getting sucked into the piston chambers

the new silvia chassis would more than likely receive a WORLD motor...not an american only motor...the MR series is used in their cars world wide and would be alot more cost efficient for nissan to use (given they wouldnt have to develop 2 motors to use in the chassis for world wide sales...just one standard)

dorkidori_s13
05-02-2008, 03:42 PM

well thank you for that snide little comment...its very mature of you

Bushido
05-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Nissan is making a compact rwd coupe. It has been confirmed by both Carlos Ghosn and Toshiyuki Shiga.

The project has been mentioned numerous times and also hinted at with the Urge and Foria concepts a few years ago. It's pretty blatant that they were hinting at a Silvia sucessor as the Foria shared many design cues of the original CSP311.

Urge concept:
http://www.diseno-art.com/images/nissan_urge_side.jpg

Foria concept
http://www.carbodydesign.com/concept-cars/2005/10-07-nissan-foria/Nissan%20Foria%202.jpg
CSP311 Silvia:
http://www.datsun.org/fairlady/silvia4.jpg

See the resemblance? it's not merely coincidental.

With competition in the pipeline from Subaru/Toyota, Hyundai, and Mazda, and with BMW's recent success with the 1er, Nissan and Infiniti rightfully want a slice of the compact rwd pie.

I can see an Infiniti version of the next Silvia, utilizing the same shortened FM platform of the Silvia, with maybe a vq35hr instead of the Silvia's VQ25 turbo, more upscale interior and exclusive Infiniti body.

I think logic points to a small displacement VQ powered Silvia, rather than a 4cyl. With Nissan's success with the VQ and the fact that it is used across their lineup, it only makes sense that it will probably be available in the next Silvia as well.

LS240
05-02-2008, 05:36 PM

Then what exactly was the point of posting? To prove how much of a douchebag you are? If so, you succeeded. Thank you Captain Useless.

If they want a true 1 Series competitor, it needs to have a 6 cylinder as an option at least. This would also help distance it from the presumably 4 cylinder Nissan. They better come up with one hell of an engine no matter what it is though. That N54 twin turbo inline 6 in the 135i and other BMWs is widely regarded as one of the greatest performance engines ever built. The 335i simply spanks the Infiniti G37, despite the fact it's rated at 24 less horsepower than the Infinit's 330. Infiniti/Nissan better step up to the plate. It sure would be great if they do.

dorkidori_s13
05-02-2008, 06:29 PM
the foria was merely a design study for nissan i think...it was built from the idea of the original CPS13 that a pic was posted above...i dont think the car was ever meant for any kind of production means (just like nissan and the sport concept...boy are they STUPID for not bringing that one out...AWD 4 cyl turbo on that fukin AWESOME lookin hatch setup...i woulda been the first person to cheat steal and borrow to get one of those the day they came out)

but a very valid point has been made above...2 design studies for RWD sport coupes and numerous rumors floating around about a silvia (especially rumors that came from the mouths of nissans CEO and CFO are pretty hard to pass up) plus photos of a majorly shortend 350Z running at the nurburgring against a porsche floating around the web...and talk of a BMW 1 series fighter being offered from infiniti with an estimated price range of 28-30k...hmmmmm all this is REALLY starting to add up

and not to mention that in 2003-2004 at a variety of nissan press conferences Carlos Ghosn was asked NUMEROUS times about the return of the silvia...and he replied with "its a good time to be a nissan fan...keep your ears and eyes open around the time we release the GTR...you will be in for a pleasant surprise"

2007 was the year of the GTR for nissan...somehow i get the feeling 2009 (yes 2009) may be the year for the silvia...i think 2008 is going to be the year of the 370z

TPS240sxS13
05-02-2008, 07:07 PM
I just hope that they dont try to sell the thing will no M/T. i hate that tip-tronic BS or whatever its called and if were all good little boys and girls do you think we could even get a nice 6 speed? <(^^')>

TPS240sxS13
05-02-2008, 07:13 PM
here what some say could be concepts of new silvias

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o263/Foluniusj/silvia1.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o263/Foluniusj/silvia2.jpg

babowc
05-02-2008, 07:15 PM
G35 is supposed to fight M3?
o_O

dorkidori_s13
05-02-2008, 11:16 PM
here what some say could be concepts of new silvias

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o263/Foluniusj/silvia1.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o263/Foluniusj/silvia2.jpg

those are nothing but photoshopped images from the nissan sport concept...those came out years ago

heres the original pics they photoshopped...

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/03/24/automobiles/23nissan.583.jpg

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2005/2005-Nissan-Sport-Concept-RA-1280x960.jpg

dont believe ANYTHING until youve seen a picture of it testing on a track (like the GTR and mystery FM chassis)

johngriff
05-03-2008, 09:41 AM
If nissan ever did make the mistake of producing another S chassis, it would be poop compared to the 1 series.

The 1 has a twin turbo inline 6 with 50/50 weight distribution @ 3200lbs.

I am sure like every other car out now all of their cars will be 4000lbs +, with a 4 cylinder. I'd buy the one every time, and that is just because its a bmw.

scir16v
05-03-2008, 10:53 AM
The sr20 is still produced for the Japanese market only still. The X-trail carries the sr20vet with Variable Valve timing and lift. It produces 280 ps

dorkidori_s13
05-03-2008, 11:15 AM
The sr20 is still produced for the Japanese market only still. The X-trail carries the sr20vet with Variable Valve timing and lift. It produces 280 ps

actually...no its not...the 2008 2nd generation xtrail does NOT use the SR20...its built on a brand new shared chassis platform with the sentra and rogue (and renault megane)...all of which use nissans QR20de, QR25de and Renaults M1D Turbo motors

the SR20 is dead...instead of getting upset because nissan is bringing out something new and unknown...be happy that theyre going to be bringing out all new technology that works BETTER than whats in the SR20...its because nissan is going to push you out of your comfort zone that most people instantly talk shit or have an instant dislike for a new silvia body style and motor

i for one cant wait to get in and start messing with a new 4cyl rwd turbo motor from nissan...itll be a nice change and update =D

usdm180sx
05-03-2008, 11:19 AM
I smell a new Silvia and Infiniti 1 series competitor clone coming ala G35/350Z

lflkajfj12123
05-03-2008, 11:21 AM
the SR20 engine is done...period...its dead...why would nissan use engine technology that was developed in the late 80s??? nissan ceased production of this motor in its vehicles years ago...and by todays standards (when compared to say the VQ35HR)...its a dinosaur as far as engines go...id love to see what nissan could do with a 4 cyl turbo motor now...the SR20 was an awesome engine when it was introduced in the early 90s...imagine a new 4 cyl 2.0 turbo engine now from nissan

MR20 is also a renault motor designed with nissan

and that motor only makes like 137 hp? that less than the ka

either they beef the MR20 up or another engine is in the cards

scir16v
05-03-2008, 11:29 AM
actually...no its not...the 2008 2nd generation xtrail does NOT use the SR20...its built on a brand new shared chassis platform with the sentra and rogue (and renault megane)...all of which use nissans QR20de, QR25de and Renaults M1D Turbo motors

the SR20 is dead...instead of getting upset because nissan is bringing out something new and unknown...be happy that theyre going to be bringing out all new technology that works BETTER than whats in the SR20...its because nissan is going to push you out of your comfort zone that most people instantly talk shit or have an instant dislike for a new silvia body style and motor

i for one cant wait to get in and start messing with a new 4cyl rwd turbo motor from nissan...itll be a nice change and update =D

Didn't know that

DJ_Sunrise
05-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Hardly competition

Bubbles
05-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Then what exactly was the point of posting? To prove how much of a douchebag you are? If so, you succeeded. Thank you Captain Useless.

You back talk your Captain like that ever again and you'll be on bathroom detail for the next year.

You got me Private?

Phlip
05-03-2008, 05:28 PM
BMW has very little to do with Nissan, lol...
Off to OT with this.

Agamemnon
05-03-2008, 05:28 PM
I am sure like every other car out now all of their cars will be 4000lbs +, with a 4 cylinder. I'd buy the one every time, and that is just because its a bmw.I wouldn't jump to that conclusion just yet. An article was published not too long ago saying that Nissan was going to the drawing boards to reduce the curb weights of its future lineup by as much as 20%.

irax
05-05-2008, 03:08 PM
wouldn't a new 2 door m30 fit that nitch ?

trust187
05-05-2008, 03:36 PM
It would be dumb for nissan to even try to stuff another 4 cylinder turbo for it to be in competition with the 1 series (twin turbo 6 cylinders here). If anything, Nissan should go with the new VQ37 in the G37. In comparison its kinda like the G37 vs. the BMW 3 series.

usdm180sx
05-05-2008, 04:48 PM
It would be dumb for nissan to even try to stuff another 4 cylinder turbo for it to be in competition with the 1 series (twin turbo 6 cylinders here). If anything, Nissan should go with the new VQ37 in the G37. In comparison its kinda like the G37 vs. the BMW 3 series.

Agreed. It would be better equipped to compete with teh Hyundai Genesis too. Then again w/turbo u could always up teh boost...

axiomatik
05-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Why does everyone keep comparing this future nissan/infiniti to the 135? That's a $40k car, and it certainly won't be the volume model in the 1-series lineup. The nissan/infiniti will compete against the volume models on the 1-series. Here in the states the 128 has a N/A I-6 producing 230hp. In Europe, it is offered with a 1.6L 4-cylinder that makes only 113hp along with a pair of 2.0L engines. I expect this future nissan will be offered with a n/a I-4 for europe, and possibly the US, and either a turbo I-4 or low-cost version of the VQ.