PDA

View Full Version : Gel / silicon batteries, any major interest?

mangoes
05-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Hi,

I just found out that my parent's company may start producing silicon / gel based car batteries. I am just wondering if there is any large interest in them, like, would you buy them? Also, which sizes do you guys think will be popular to the S-chassis crowd and car enthusiasts in general. Thanks!!

Silicone Battery Characteristics:

* Optimized for High Current Discharges

* Reduced Charging Time

* Enhanced Capacity

* Long Battery Life
-last up to > 400 deep cycles

* Minimal Self-Discharge
-extended shelf life 400% of typical average Lead Acid Batteries

* Maintains High Capacity under Low Temperature
-able to hold 70-75% of their total charge under temperatures of - 10
deg.C

* Extended Operating Temperature Range
-Able to withstand and operate under the harshest of environment.
able to operate normally from -50 deg C to +60 deg. C with margins to
spare

* No Memory Effects, and Maintenance Free Sealed Design

* No Acidic Vapors Created, Electrolyte is Environmentally Friendly

* Low Internal Resistance
-Using the silicate compound electrolyte, internal resistance is greatly
reduces. Thus high temperatures do not result form charging and risks
of explosion are eliminated

pbcstylez
05-01-2008, 05:06 PM
i would but the price of these bad boys will drive this specific market away

boozels
05-01-2008, 05:13 PM
it all depends on the price

also what sizes are you guys making?

mangoes
05-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Pricing should start out around $75 ish, depending on the size. Don't have everything worked out yet. My parents just want me to get some sizes that would be popular and see if the factory can make it. Thats why I need to know what sizes you guys' think would be popular.

96Turbo
05-01-2008, 05:18 PM
i'm in the market for a new bat.

edit: $75 for a battery big enough to power a car? what a are the specs?? CCA?? weight?? Size?? Sounds like it could be pretty awesome

Size doesn't matter for me (thats what she said) because i'm mounting in the trunk....so the smallest, lightest battery that's got enough amps is what i need

hotlavaflow
05-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Size doesn't matter for me (thats what she said) because i'm mounting in the trunk....so the smallest, lightest battery that's got enough amps is what i need

Me too me too :aw:

mangoes
05-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Currently the smallest battery we have is 8.5 x 5.3 x 9.8 weight is 24.25 lbs. I don't have the CCA and other details from it right now though.

I am trying to see if we can get these batteries in smaller sizes though, like a Miata battery size which is 7.5 x 5 x 7. Or a even smaller mini battery which is about 7 x 3 x 6.6. Any interest in Miata and mini batteries? I just want to know what sizes of batteries you guys would buy.

Pricing for a mini battery would probably be around $75. The bigger the battery gets, the more the price will increase.

k's_silvia2.0
05-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Mock up the one I have and then give me one! :p

Addicted2Kouki
05-01-2008, 05:35 PM
I know people who run their batteries in their engine bay with intercooler piping would like the smaller batteries [miata/mini batteries.]

but my battery is in the trunk and i dont mind if its a full size battery because it will have more power, longer.

I say produce both because not everyone has their battery in the trunk or has it still in the bay.

96Turbo
05-01-2008, 05:38 PM
i think the smallest one you currently carry (the size you posted) would work well in the trunk. As far as the 24 lbs goes....what does a stock sized battery weigh for a 240??