PDA

View Full Version : This is what Top Gear would be with Adam Carolla

Maxstyle
04-24-2008, 08:31 PM
I wouldn't be able to stand his voice for one minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57_TlwTPDTg

SimpleSexy180
04-24-2008, 08:35 PM
lmao!

"look when you order a steak. you get one thats bigger than your head! why? this is america!"

drift freaq
04-24-2008, 08:42 PM
I don't know, at least his comments are in the tradition. What I can't figure is Tanner Faust(beyond the fact that he is becoming a car media giant). I mean he is not bad on his show Supercars Exposed. Yet I am not sure he would make a good foil to someone like Adam Corolla. In my opinion you almost need another wise ass besides Adam.

illvialuver
04-24-2008, 08:52 PM
the show is great especially with the baby crying in the background.

626 FC3S
04-24-2008, 08:59 PM
fuck all that shit HELL NO CAROLLA FOR TOP GEAR

DreamN
04-24-2008, 09:02 PM
I like Adam. Though I doubt he'll be able to get as technical with everything as Jeremy and Richard do when they test drive their cars. drift freaq, I agree there would be a missing element if they didn't have another in the mix.

Gnnr
04-24-2008, 10:02 PM
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?p=1990146#post1990146

eli_eli
04-24-2008, 10:57 PM
haha...that was pretty funny..."most horsepower under 30K, like being the worlds tallest midget"...ahahahah....that was awsome...oh and btw...they were on the big track at willow...idk what they were talking about lol...

fliprayzin240sx
04-24-2008, 11:41 PM
You know who I think would be a good guy for US Top Gear...Christopher Titus. He's a comedian and hard core car guy...

http://www.robidaconcepts.com/i/RAZRBACK/STtitus1.jpg

fc3s kit
04-25-2008, 02:40 AM
One of the things that makes the original Top Gear great is that ALL of the presenters are wise crackers (which is a lot better than Adam cracking jokes by himself). And they've been at it a LONG time. Watch the early episodes of Top Gear or the previous version of it. It sucked as much as this stuff does.

Another reason this is bland is because nobody can really say anything to compare it to other cars. This was the reason Leno sat out. American TV relies on advertising while the BBC doesn't. That means while Jeremy and the bunch can cap all day on cars and give honest opinions about them, Adam and his boys have to wear kid gloves and tip toe through the daises when it comes to criticism.

Personally, I like Adam and I can see why other people don't. But if this is a taste of things to come, hell, I like Top Gear AND Adam and I won't watch this. Good luck getting anyone else to.

(And shit YES Titus would be a kick ass presenter. Something tells me he'd match up with Adam nicely.)

infinitexsound
04-25-2008, 02:56 AM
eh, adam is aite... just not worth it... top gear should stay british.... those guys are just as theatrical as japanese hosts.... if i had to pick a host, id say jay leno... hes a true car guy and has the goods to prove it...

niSm095
04-25-2008, 07:17 AM
jay leno would be 30x more annoying than adam carolla...

jackjack
04-25-2008, 09:24 AM
^i think they'd both be annoying. just my opinion.

IStop4NoMan
04-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Tanner Faust should just be their "stig" at the most
thats about it.

Farzam
04-25-2008, 01:34 PM
I think I want to kill myself. That's got the be the lamest shit i've ever seen.

Is that Titus dude still alive?

arkive43
04-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Tanner Faust should just be their "stig" at the most
thats about it.

i <3 tanner but no.

the stig is not a man. i once heard the stig went to McDonalds and had it his way. he also has teh ability to teleport.

andmattsayd
04-25-2008, 03:23 PM
worlds tallest midget?
lol only adam corolla
i think he trys to be funn wayy too much....

eastcoastS14
04-25-2008, 03:27 PM
that was literally one long ass pontiac commercial

shrimpscampi
05-04-2008, 06:16 PM
As much as hate to give it to the Brits...Top Gear sounds better with one of them hosting

exitspeed
06-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Well it's official!

Top Gear has just officially announced who will be hosting the U.S. version of the popular car show born in the UK and now officially scheduled to appear on NBC sometime this fall, and the winners are... (drum roll, please): Adam Carolla, Tanner Foust and Eric Stromer. Everyone knows Adam Carolla, of course, having watched him hit the big time hosting The Man Show with Jimmy Kimmel. He now hosts his own nationally-syndicated radio show called "The Adam Carolla Show". Tanner Foust brings some actual professional driving cred to the show with a resume that includes stunt driving in "The Bourne Ultimatum," "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift" and "The Dukes of Hazard". He's also a winning rally driver, has medaled in the 2007 X-Games and hosted "Supercars Exposed" on the SPEED Channel. Eric Stomer was the last to be cast and when you see him, you'll probably say "I know that guy." He's hosted an HGTV show called "Over Your Head", was a former soap-opera actor and spent a lot of time in construction (and on construction-related TV shows). Guess we'll pick him to win the amphibious vehicle challenges. We surmise that producers may have picked Stromer because he's a hunk of man meat, but also because he can bring in a big female audience from his time spent on HGTV.

The press release after the jump also reveals what each host drives, and as you would imagine, Carolla (who will now be referred to as Jezza Jr.) sports a garage full of Lamborghinis, Maseratis, two Ferraris and an Audi S4. Foust makes do with a simple, tricked out BMW M3. Stromer... a Camry Hybrid. Something tells us Stromer better come equipped with a thick skin. So what do you think? Does Top Gear USA now appear better suited for success or does the show have Bucket of Fail written all over it?

[Source: NBC, Top Gear]

Gnnr
06-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Why call it Top Gear? They're just going to tarnish the name of a show they wont even be able to touch.

just1pepsi
06-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Fail gets my vote, though I'll likely Tivo it and watch it when bored. I dont really like the original Top Gear, they talk too much shit on the US for my liking.. either that or I just happened to watch the few episodes in which that was the case.

SimpleS14
06-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Fail gets my vote, though I'll likely Tivo it and watch it when bored. I dont really like the original Top Gear, they talk too much shit on the US for my liking.. either that or I just happened to watch the few episodes in which that was the case.

You don't watch enough episodes and yes I agree this show will be FAIL.

BustedS13
06-16-2008, 11:16 AM
it's just going to be called Gear and it's going to be awesome.

i've been watching The Adam Carolla Project. it's a home renovation show he did on TLC back in '05. he drives a 350z track edition in it and makes a couple visits to his personal garage, which is painted inside and out in the Gulf racing color scheme. this guy loves cars and isn't full of shit. it's going to be great.

drift freaq
06-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Its really hard to say. I think renaming Corolla Jezza Jr? Kinda corny. I think they need to let the American show develop its personality. While trying to cast counterparts to the British show they need to also let these people develop their own take and attitude. Otherwise its just a straight up knock off and boring. Oh and what about the STIG! They talk nothing about that. I don't know if the American public in middle America is going to go for this show. Most of middle America prime time watching TV fans could give a rats ass about cars or car shows. If this was coming out on Speed? Sure. If it was coming out in non prime time sure. Like a sat afternoon. NBC? I think it will fail ratings wise. America is almost to large for a show like this. If it was 100% Nascar it would probably sell but not on prime time.
This is also a tough sell because Adam Corolla has never done regular network TV he has always been cable. Thats an area were he is allowed to say things that will never go over on Network TV. Tanner Faust and Eric Strommer are clean enough.
There is a reason Jimmy Kimmel only does late night TV. Oh and he sucked when he was on FOX NFL pre game. That aside, I predict it will not get very high ratings and will either go to Speed or get cancelled. Great Idea and dope show but this is the U.S. England is Small in comparision. Its easier to float TV shows over there that just would never fly in prime time here. Could you imagine DR Who on prime time Network TV? It would fail dismally. Does it mean its not good? No. It means your average American just does not get there head around this kinda stuff very easily.
For another example the Original Star Trek only managed to struggle through two seasons of Network TV prime time before being cancelled. It would rise to hugeness in Syndication.
A show like Top Gear cannot survive that way.

HyperTek
06-16-2008, 03:20 PM
wont survive without funding and sponsors from car manufactures.

NBC= Nothing But Copys

we will see.. they also knocking off ninja warrior .

in an unrelated note, i enjoy jay leno's garage... he keeps it real and has a story to tell about why he owns every car.

98s14inaz
06-16-2008, 03:28 PM
You know who I think would be a good guy for US Top Gear...Christopher Titus. He's a comedian and hard core car guy...

http://www.robidaconcepts.com/i/RAZRBACK/STtitus1.jpg

Hell yes. I've seen him live at the improv twice now. Way better suited for this than Corolla.

HyperTek
06-16-2008, 03:30 PM
they need to mix it up.. all cacuasion cast?

kyoru
06-16-2008, 03:58 PM
lol...oh my god can't wait to see this.

slidingsky
06-16-2008, 08:55 PM
I can't wait to see the show but I just don't think it will make it. I mean take one of the most recent shows on season 10 about the race through London and the most equivalent cities would be LA and New York but other than that who can relate. Don't get me wrong there is traffic all over the US but the US is just too broad. Just like the "best driving road in the world" can anything relate to that beauty of a road?

Then there is that question if the US Auto Makers will step in and we will see a "biased" opinion on the road test.

I for one could take all the lame/stupid tests that they could shell out as long as it is honestly biased.

Quail
06-17-2008, 07:11 AM
that was literally one long ass pontiac commercial

Thats what I thought. Are they going to be able to give honest opinions in the U.S version? I think Clarkson's brutality is one of the reasons Top Gear is so funny

240trainee
06-17-2008, 07:16 AM
Yea

no way in the world this show will be anything more than shitty.

I don't understand why TV executives can't see what the recipe for success for Top Gear is, and why it won't work in the states/ what they would need to do to make it work.

Gnnr
06-17-2008, 03:38 PM
http://jalopnik.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2008/06/Top-Gear-USA-First-Picture.jpg

irax
06-17-2008, 04:07 PM
+1 for titus

i think it should be Titus, Corolla, Faust

or replace Faust for Mark Summers http://www.geocities.com/doubledareweb/marcbw.gif

BustedS13
06-17-2008, 04:12 PM
http://jalopnik.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2008/06/Top-Gear-USA-First-Picture.jpg

woahwoahwoahwoah. that looks like adam's personal garage. kinda cool

drift freaq
06-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Ya but once again the idiots forgot. Top Gear is done on a London Sound stage for the audience broadcast portion. They are never in a Garage just sitting around. Even more fail on the American producers part and NBC's. LOL

JayDee M Rolly
06-17-2008, 04:19 PM
fuck all that shit HELL NO CAROLLA FOR TOP GEAR
hahahaha seriously

BustedS13
06-17-2008, 04:21 PM
so do you guys have a reason for hating carolla? is he too funny? or is it because he calls california out on their bullshit laws? what's wrong fellas?

or do you just like hearing an elderly brit talk shit on america and lie about cars?

drift freaq
06-17-2008, 04:23 PM
so do you guys have a reason for hating carolla? is he too funny? or is it because he calls california out on their bullshit laws? what's wrong fellas?

or do you just like hearing an elderly brit talk shit on america and lie about cars?

I have nothing against Corolla, I have nothing against Tanner Faust. Eric Strommer? Why? Also I just feel the American demographic spells fail for a show like this on Network TV. On Cable or Satellite sure. Network TV? FAIL!

irax
06-17-2008, 05:08 PM

this is one thing im completly tried of. it's not like uk isn't without its fault.

EDacIouSX
06-17-2008, 05:16 PM
god that shit is annoying. little monkey blah blah blah shutup bitch you are driving an ugly car. lol