PDA

View Full Version : carport lighting??

tastyratz
04-24-2008, 10:48 AM
so I work on my car outside in a carport since I don't always have access to a garage. Ive been using little craftsman fluorescent lights strung up around the metal frame and turned on when I need lighting.
I need better lighting than this
I cant install regular full length fluorescent bulb setups up top because its outside and they will be exposed to moisture and weather. We all know that the tarps always rip and leak, and they aren't perfect.
I don't want to just install a few of those trillion watt heat pump lights on tripods around the place and call it a day, I want decent fairly permanent overhead lighting that will make working on my car much easier when its dark.

Anyone have any good input?

95Blue240sx
04-24-2008, 10:59 AM
is this at your own house or are you renting a place? I would say just look for some enclosed florescent lights to install. I have some flood light I installed to the front of my house the we used for night basketball and they work awsome. Dunno if they were weather proof, but we hardly changed the bulbs.

tastyratz
04-24-2008, 11:38 AM
its back at my parents house since I don't have a place at my apartment so I can install onto the carport however I want.
Ive looked to see if I could find any enclosed fluorescent lights but haven't found anything really big and worthy enough that I can get.
I'm pissed because this would work perfect:
http://www.toolbaydirect.co.uk/product_info.php?id=2156&catid=260
just pull it from the tripod and mount it- 58w of fluorescent is retardedly bright. They only sell it in the uk though

satal95
04-24-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm in the same predictment and i was thinking of running these lights
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100043531&categoryID=502059

and just plugging them in when i was working on the car

tastyratz
04-24-2008, 01:58 PM
that's a real pain to just unplug the light every time though. I want to feel safe to leave it plugged in all the time.

I wonder how well those seal off on top or how hard it would be to make them water resistant.
I mean a carport is sealed for the most part on top and its not like its going to be getting hit with rain upside down blowing inside...
The options are kind of limited as far as what I can find for sealed florescent bulbs.

BustedS13
04-24-2008, 02:10 PM
our three car carport has two floodlights that are motion activated, or can be turned constant on. it also has four regular incandescent bulbs mounted to the rafters, and two retractable drop lights, one on the front left corner and another on the back right corner. in addition, we put up an ANCIENT fluorescent fixture in the middle that takes four of the extra long tubes. it was in the garage but we just hung a half dozen dual bulb standard sized fixtures to replace it because this thing puts current through its casing. it's a pile of shit. when it breaks i'll just toss it.
i have never had any issues with the elements messing up the lights, so long as everything's covered by the roof you're good to go. also mount everything up high enough so that if it were to rain sideways, nothing would get on the fixtures..
i'd take some pictures to give you a better idea but i just sold my camera unfortunately. i'd really just suggest two or three of the standard cheapy fluorescent fixtures they sell at home depot for like 10 bucks, and then a halogen work light to brighten up whatever you're specifically working on.

Gnnr
04-24-2008, 02:37 PM
http://www.elights.com/150watworlig.html

Maybe you can use something like that, its a non-tripod kind, you can hang it possibly. I don't know how your carport is. It says "Weatherproof on/off switch" whatever that means.

95Blue240sx
04-24-2008, 03:43 PM
weatherproof switch just means theres a piece of rubber over it so it keeps the water out.

Maybe take a pic of your carport so we can see what you are working with?

pbcstylez
04-24-2008, 05:24 PM
just use flood lights on a stand u can make it as mobile as u want, since its in an enclosed back yard u have nothign to worry about do you?

illvialuver
04-24-2008, 06:43 PM
I say you run a whole lotta neon lights under your car and in your car and under the hood.
that would be real tight and mad usefull!!!!
just kidding, I have the same problem and usually just work on the car when the sun is out or use a regular lamp and extension cord. kinda ghetto but it works.

BustedS13
04-24-2008, 06:57 PM
you're seriously overthinking this.

http://www.texashydroponics.com/shop/files/thumbnails/t_2210.gif

or

http://www.poultryhelp.com/penlights1.jpg

will do everything you need.

tastyratz
04-25-2008, 06:53 AM
Actually I have been doing some more thinking and I think I know what I want to do. I think I am going to pick up one of the standard overhang florescent lights but since I hear people say they can use the shell as ground I am going to cover it. I think I am going to get some of that big black ribbed plastic tubing you can get at home depot and cut it in half to make a cover shielding it from water.