PDA

View Full Version : Shop drained transmission instead of oil!

emersonLP
04-23-2008, 07:40 AM
Its not really funny...but well it kinda is! My friend called me yesterday and asked why his girlfriend's car was acting funny. It was apparently smoking and suddenly would not accelerate past 10mph and almost stranded them the other night. The gauge that shows what gear she is in started flashing or something too. I said it sounds like bad news for her transmission. I guess she took it to the dealership yesterday sometime...

The car is 2000 something VW Passat:

Him (9:13:34 AM): My girlfriend got her oil changed last weekend
Him (9:13:54 AM): VW dealership says the oil change place drained the transmission fluid and topped off the oil.
Me (9:13:58 AM): omg
Him (9:13:59 AM): transmission's thrashed
Him (9:14:02 AM): $6,000
Me (9:14:25 AM): wow, make the shop pay for it
Him (9:14:49 AM): the shops insurer has gone to the VW place to determine if they're at fault or not.
Me (9:16:22 AM): thats amazing
Him (9:18:25 AM): it was a marathon i think, probably somewhere in decatur.

rican_nick
04-23-2008, 07:47 AM
LMAO.. damn taht sucks

Future240
04-23-2008, 07:56 AM
if they are at fault? IF?:wtf: I really hope you get the car fixed and don't get shafted by some super lawyer.

98s14inaz
04-23-2008, 09:04 AM
IF?! lol. This is why you want your kids graduating from high school and not this GED crap. What kind of retard cannot identify the oil pan? Seriously, ATF is red and smells like shit. No excuse for that sort of carelessness.

Rnz520
04-23-2008, 09:08 AM
I thought this was done on a 240, I was gonna be like no way someone is that stupid.
But yea that sucks, if they dont admit fault, sue.

jackjack
04-23-2008, 09:21 AM
this is why i do not let anyone touch my car(s).

emersonLP
04-23-2008, 09:22 AM
if they are at fault? IF?:wtf: I really hope you get the car fixed and don't get shafted by some super lawyer.

Ya I know! I laughed hard about that too IF???! WTF... I told my friend to make sure nothing happened to the engine after running a few days with double its oil capacity too...

Me too

blasting_speed
04-23-2008, 09:37 AM
Oh damn.That sucks. Its kind of funny too.

Future240
04-23-2008, 10:44 AM
IF?! lol. This is why you want your kids graduating from high school and not this GED crap. What kind of retard cannot identify the oil pan? Seriously, ATF is red and smells like shit. No excuse for that sort of carelessness.

Yea I would figure for an average human being, sometime during this, a little light bulb would have went off and said "wait this liquid I am draining doesnt look like oil, it doesnt smell like oil, it doesnt feel like oil, therfore......"

djkowai
04-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Whoever cant tell those apart is absolutely ridiculous. Scary to think there is probably a lot of people that get payed to do shit sloppy work on other peoples cars.

silviaguy240
04-23-2008, 11:19 AM
um if it had no fluid, it shouldn't have been able to run at all.....

IIIXziuR
04-23-2008, 11:24 AM
Wow, thats like ultimate Face Palm.
Is it really that hard to tell the trans and the oil pan apart?!

downshift_sideways
04-23-2008, 11:26 AM
wow. That is so gay. I fired an employee for doing that.

VW's have a skid plate that you have to remove in the front in order to see the 19mm drain plug. If you don't remove the skidplate there is a drain plug there, that does possibly look like the oil plug, its a HEX key. That guy is obviously stupid to not see what color the fluid was lol.

Newer VW's have a sealed transmission system, and the only way to add fluid into the tranny is to inject it from the drain plug iirc.

most likely that tranny is fucked up. Hope they cover the cost and fix or replace it.

**EDIT**

I just read, then added double the oil?????????????????????
wow...now you need motor work done.

40daws
04-23-2008, 12:14 PM
See this all the time with the quick lube places. At my dealership we see it more with pickups and SUV's though.

Marc240
04-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Its a shop, they probably knew about it the minute it was coming out and just left it.
Alot of shops are dicks about that cause they think that you will never know or you won't come back to them.

azndoc
04-23-2008, 12:22 PM
That sucks.

I try to do all the fluid changes myself.

Or at least take it to this one shell station for the Z that I've been going for the last two years.

bluepanda523
04-23-2008, 12:23 PM
I really don't know how some people get jobs at these places.

40daws
04-23-2008, 12:47 PM
^They need luke warm bodies. We once had a guy who splashed oil all over the engine,front bumper and windshield and DID NOT clean it up. The customer had to bring it back in.

drift freaq
04-23-2008, 12:51 PM

Ah, actually believe it or not G.E.D. proves the kid has actually learned something. Most High Schools these day are passing kids who can't even write English properly and barely read or do math. Try that with a G.E.D. they would not pass.

As far as what happened take that car back to the shop and make them pay for a transmission. If you were in Cali you could report them to the B.A.R. and get instant action. See there are good reasons for living in Cali :D

murda-c
04-23-2008, 12:54 PM
My first day of work at firestone i started to drain the front diff on a tahoe...

noticed it was grey and smelled like shit and plugged it back up, topped it off, changed the oil, and sent it out.

mRclARK1
04-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Never have gone to an oil change place, and that's why I never will.

shmiddy
04-23-2008, 01:05 PM
lol this isnt the 1st time iv herd of this happening, pretty common within the noobish oil change places

cuddlesthesheep
04-23-2008, 01:21 PM
..how do you fuck that up.. jesus. that is mind boggling. "OHHH IT WAS THAT ONE!"

BustedS13
04-23-2008, 01:29 PM
i need an oil change in my CL and don't feel like doing it myself.. but looks like i'm going to.

2ilvia
04-23-2008, 10:09 PM
ha my sister did this, 2000 avalon, she drained the atf, then added double the oil, the car moved backwards ten feet then stopped moving completely, in the middle of the road (she drove a civic prior...)

iHeartTheTouge
04-23-2008, 10:12 PM

same here, we had our second car catch on fire today at work within 3 months and neither customer will ever know.

azanprophet
04-23-2008, 11:14 PM
My brother took his '92 prelude to one of those quiklube places one time right after he got it.

The retard in the "trench" didn't put the oil drain plug back in and went off to another car while the guy on surface refilled the oil. Of course most of the new oil drained right back out and what didn't drain out got spilled out when he was driving it home. The next day his engine siezed on the way home from work and of course he spotted the problem immediately.

He had me take him back to the place with a GENEROUS estimate from our mechanic and he got a brand new engine and had enough left over to turbo it.

Ever since he's changed his own fluids.

ryguy
04-23-2008, 11:21 PM
Wouldnt that meant that they didnt bother to change the oil filter either? I mean, oil would have poured out.

WERDdabuilder
04-23-2008, 11:23 PM
this is why females are not equal to males...they cant even change their own fuckin oil!

soreballz
04-23-2008, 11:25 PM
um if it had no fluid, it shouldn't have been able to run at all.....
You would be shocked at how long some auto trannies can last with no fluid in them.

Don't ask me how I know. :hsdance:

Farzam
04-24-2008, 12:41 AM
They must have hated them.

emersonLP
04-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Wouldnt that meant that they didnt bother to change the oil filter either? I mean, oil would have poured out.

Good question, i didnt think of that. Either way, Im worried the engine is going to be in trouble anyway after running a few days with double oil...

slow_sr20
04-24-2008, 10:34 AM
hahahahaha i WORK at a v.w. dealer and we see that exact scenario about every 6 months. shits funny people bitch when we tell them 65-80 dollars for an oil change then they come in with their tail between their legs and tell us their engine is loud and the car doesn't go anywhere hahahaha good for us, bad for jiffy lube........dealers aren't so bad after all:keke: