PDA

View Full Version : Question of the day

muddafakka
04-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Scenario: You somehow managed to acquire an extremely low-mileage used car...nothing recently made. Of all the cars out there, I'm going to use a 240SX as the example, an S13 (hatch/coupe/vert doesn't matter) to be precise. When I say extremely low-mileage, I'm talking about lower than 40K. Let's say it's got about 20K original miles on the odometer. Car is a 1 owner, non-smoker, clean-titled, unmolested virgin. No issues, no need for restoration, the car is absolutely perfect. It looks like it just rolled out of the factory.

Now my question is, being that the car is so clean, do you keep it stock for as long as possible, replacing parts only with OEM stuff if needed? Or do you say, "stock is sux0rz" and proceed to modify it?

Just wondering what you guys would do.

axiomatik
04-21-2008, 01:48 PM
I'd modify it, but nothing that can't be undone, ie, no cutting. then keep all the oem parts so that I could put it back to showroom condition.

blasting_speed
04-21-2008, 01:54 PM
I'd only drop it, tint the windows, nice muffler, and some clean wheels. That's it. That shit would look gangster.

zaneithan
04-21-2008, 02:00 PM
it really depends on your intentions for buying the car in the first place...if my intention was to buy a car that i want to keep in pristine stock condition, then i would leave it alone, if i wanted to build it, thus i would build it

an_orange_s2k
04-21-2008, 02:07 PM
modify it like crazy

azndoc
04-21-2008, 02:09 PM
Ummm yeah.

Wheels and suspension shit.

Maybe a Nardi steering wheel.

Not even an exhaust.

sonomadrifter
04-21-2008, 02:21 PM
it really depends on your intentions for buying the car in the first place...if my intention was to buy a car that i want to keep in pristine stock condition, then i would leave it alone, if i wanted to build it, thus i would build it

i agree. i was thinking of this same senario this weekend, with a S chassie i was stumped, thinking that it would be stock untill something would happen or i would get bored with it. depends what the car was for.

other ones that would be much easier to decide would be a mr2 turbo or a second gen. gsx... a great base and a chassie that most people dont swap motors, i think i wouldnt or only slightly mod those. so many people swap 240, not that thats a bad thing.:)

muddafakka
04-21-2008, 02:37 PM

Yeah that's true. Well let's say you just bought it because you had to have it, not having any real intentions...just wanting it in your possession. BTW I forgot to mention that I haven't seen such a car. It was just something for me to think about. :loco:

cuddlesthesheep
04-21-2008, 02:43 PM
so its super clean, straight frame, pretty much a brand new s13?

i'd do an engine swap, put some coils on it, some gullflames, diff, and then just keep it lookin sexy.

Agamemnon
04-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Modify in a way that can be reveresd to stock form. Only use for Sunday drives and car meets. Buff the shit out of the paint to get her shining and call it a day.

WilloW
04-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Keep it bone stock, keep up with maintenance, drive it to the ground.

Future240
04-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Mod it out the ass, make it a play car

SW20Racer
04-21-2008, 04:44 PM
you actually present a situation i'm in right now.

mother-in-law is tired of her 93 miata. she's too old to drive stick anymore.
brand new top on it, garage kept year round, and never driven in the winter and she's the original owner.

she called me on the phone, and told me they were going to fly me out there to pick up this miata for a dollar. i didnt stutter. ONE DOLLAR.

i want to put 002's on it(if anyone can tell me FOR CERTAIN whether of not i would need fender flares to fit these wheels, please pm me, +rep for a solid answer). then some basic suspension mods and put a header and a nice quite factory style exhaust. maybe a k&n filter... and a roll bar.

so basically yeah, i would mod it tastefully and make it fun to drive, then drive it everyday. with the top down big ol' shit-eating grin...yeah....smoooooooth.....

edit: btw, does anyone have four quarters for 96 cents and 15 amp fuse???

BustedS13
04-21-2008, 04:50 PM
it's an s13? rofl. it's not a numbers matching first gen camaro or something. fuck it.

Baka Sama
04-21-2008, 05:08 PM
it's an s13? rofl. it's not a numbers matching first gen camaro or something. fuck it.

Yeah depends really on what kind of car it is. The purpose of all cars are to drive them not collect them for auto shows. I have confidence in the fact that I have taste. So I would have no problem modifying a low mileage s13 or any car not built in special edition trim.

ex, You stumble over a two-tone s13 coupe in rare (mystic purple?) with 60k miles on the engine. What do you do? Assuming its a pig nose, you slam it (no fender roll) and upgrade the wheels(mesh maybe), update the interior(s15 seats and what not), turbo it(ka-t), and drive that baby everyday.

BustedS13
04-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Yeah depends really on what kind of car it is. The purpose of all cars are to drive them not collect them for auto shows. I have confidence in the fact that I have taste. So I would have no problem modifying a low mileage s13 or any car not built in special edition trim.

ex, You stumble over a two-tone s13 coupe in rare (mystic purple?) with 60k miles on the engine. What do you do? Assuming its a pig nose, you slam it (no fender roll) and upgrade the wheels(mesh maybe), update the interior(s15 seats and what not), turbo it(ka-t), and drive that baby everyday.

fuck that, sr, roll and pull, whatever you're gonna do, go ahead and do it. the only advantage to a babied s13 in my eyes would be not having to do bodywork or paint. s13's came in great colors, mine was originally the cherry red, shit was awesome.

Baka Sama
04-21-2008, 05:22 PM
^ Fender rolling maybe but I never get the point of sr's if you have to hide from emissions every year just to drive it. kat it and you never have to worry about being illegal. SR = fail engine to me, "jdm" or not.

jackjack
04-21-2008, 05:23 PM
cars are meant to be driven. i'd modify it, and enjoy it. i'm not the collecting type. i dont care how rare it is. i'd drive the hell out of anything.

LongGrain
04-21-2008, 05:26 PM
fuck that, strip, cage, swap, kit, widebody, wheels. track it all day every day.

its nice that its in such good shape, makes for a better platform to mod on, but its still an s13. not something i want to daily drive.

WagDatto
04-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Low original miles + babied car over all = KA-T with no worries on internals, in my eyes. Everything inside the motor should be pristine, boost that shit and get some suspension.

I feel like cars should be driven. I'm not flaming the guys that spend 100k on a car only to tow and push it around a showroom floor. I love seeing some of those cars, but I think a car looks better with some battle scars; scraped lip, semi-faded paint and rubber stuck to the mudflaps.

BustedS13
04-21-2008, 05:31 PM
^ Fender rolling maybe but I never get the point of sr's if you have to hide from emissions every year just to drive it. kat it and you never have to worry about being illegal. SR = fail engine to me, "jdm" or not.

what? is there a CARB legal turbo kit for the ka? if not, then it's still illegal. in california. not where i live.

Baka Sama
04-21-2008, 05:34 PM
How easy is it to take off a turbo once a year than to swap an engine.

BustedS13
04-21-2008, 05:46 PM
How easy is it to take off a turbo once a year than to swap an engine.

well, i don't have to do any of that, ever, so