PDA

View Full Version : I thought Koyo was supposed to be a top brand

devnull
04-19-2008, 07:18 PM
The radiator in my Dad's Explorer busted, so we asked my brother in law to source us a new one. He said he'd get us a good deal on a Koyo.

Two weeks later it arrives and we remove it from the box to check it out and I notice that it's not exactly square...It's narrower at the bottom than the top.

I decided to ignore that, thinking that as long as it bolted in and worked it would be fine. It does indeed bolt up, so I filled the radiator back up, and find a leak in the side tank. It has a crack just below one of the ribs in the plastic.

We ask my brother in law to get us another. Another two weeks goes by until we get it. So I get everything back together again and fill up the radiator...everything is going smoothly until I try to put the fan shroud back on.

One side of the shroud is too high. Way too high. We check all around it to make sure it's not resting on something...nope, it's locked into the hooks on the radiator in the appropriate spots. We fiddle with it for another 15 minutes before deciding to just let it hang halfway on.

We compared the first new radiator to the stock one, and found that one of the hooks does indeed sit too high.

What the hell is up with that?

g-via
04-19-2008, 07:19 PM
bad luck twice?

I've run koyo rad's in my cars with no problems before...

fliprayzin240sx
04-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Their quality control guy took a vacation to Hawaii for a month?

MaD1337M3DRiV3r
04-19-2008, 07:22 PM
I've heard nothing but negative feedback about koyos from shops, but most people i know who have them they are fine.

ThatGuy
04-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Not S or Z Chassis...

Moved to Off Topic.

drift freaq
04-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Koyo are not top notch they are just well marketed. They heatsoak and I have first hand experience with them doing that.

devnull
04-19-2008, 08:14 PM
I thought Koyo was supposed to be a top brand

I stand corrected on this.

ronmcdon
04-19-2008, 08:57 PM
I've had really good luck with Koyo. Purchased 4 full size aluminum ones between my s14 240sx, 1st gen miata, eg civic, etc. One got damaged b/c of faulty install, but the others all worked good and were easy to install.

Granted the last Koyo I got was almost two yrs ago, so things could have gotten worse since then.

The only after-market radiator I don't have such good exp with is the C&R aluminum half size i once had on my eg civic. Easy to install, and workmanship seemed ok, but it couldn't prevent my car from overheating doing 30 min run in hpde's. perhaps it was built only for dd and drag racing, idk. later, I swapped it out for a full size koyo and i had no more overheating issues on the track.

I've also had good experience with Fluidyne. It worked great on my old crx before it got stolen.

MrFairlady
04-20-2008, 12:16 AM
Koyo Copper for the SR..installed 2 weeks ago along w/ motor.Running OEM SR rad shroud too. (had to be cut around the "coke can" w/ lines (evaporator??) alot though.

Running like a champ so far.
I DId hear that the "necks" (on alum rads) can sometimes just "POP/crack" off......hmmmmmm.
Mine dropped Right in - even fit perfectly w/ the indention on the foam surround of the Old OEM KA Rad too.

<---Mrfairlady how likes to joo's "___"

Sil-Abc
04-20-2008, 01:10 AM
my drain plug on the koyo broke and i had to get a replacement. got one for a sentra and it worked perfectly :D

RiversideS13
04-20-2008, 01:48 AM
are you sure you got the right part? i replaced 3 of my cars with koyo radiators and they all bolt on tightly without issue.

thatdrifterguy
04-20-2008, 05:05 AM
my friends compared one of their old koyos with the new ones and they said the new ones are kinda off and that they changed into "made in taiwan" or something like that

WERDdabuilder
04-20-2008, 05:17 AM
my drain plug on the koyo broke and i had to get a replacement. got one for a sentra and it worked perfectly :D

made out of like rubber or something? i was trying to flush my rad out this week and i used a phillips to try and unscrew it...well it stripped ha.

devnull
04-20-2008, 05:28 AM
are you sure you got the right part?

It almost completely matches the OE part. The only difference is the location of that one hook. The first one we received is exactly the same as the one we put in.

RiversideS13
04-20-2008, 11:55 AM
my friends compared one of their old koyos with the new ones and they said the new ones are kinda off and that they changed into "made in taiwan" or something like that

mine was made in indonesia, i have not seen made in taiwan yet

aNskY
04-20-2008, 01:32 PM
When i recieved my koyo (bought it on ebay) i actually accused the guy of selling knock off shit. They even cheapened the name ."koyorad". tf?

ByeByeSti
04-20-2008, 01:48 PM
The radiator in my Dad's Explorer busted, so we asked my brother in law to source us a new one. He said he'd get us a good deal on a Koyo.

Two weeks later it arrives and we remove it from the box to check it out and I notice that it's not exactly square...It's narrower at the bottom than the top.

I decided to ignore that, thinking that as long as it bolted in and worked it would be fine. It does indeed bolt up, so I filled the radiator back up, and find a leak in the side tank. It has a crack just below one of the ribs in the plastic.

We ask my brother in law to get us another. Another two weeks goes by until we get it. So I get everything back together again and fill up the radiator...everything is going smoothly until I try to put the fan shroud back on.

One side of the shroud is too high. Way too high. We check all around it to make sure it's not resting on something...nope, it's locked into the hooks on the radiator in the appropriate spots. We fiddle with it for another 15 minutes before deciding to just let it hang halfway on.

We compared the first new radiator to the stock one, and found that one of the hooks does indeed sit too high.

What the hell is up with that?

so after reading this i found the problem with it....

ford... sorrynot much help , but its the truth. unless its a powerstroke.

s14_legend
04-20-2008, 04:15 PM
the quality has definitely gone down a knotch...

azndoc
04-20-2008, 04:26 PM
When i recieved my koyo (bought it on ebay) i actually accused the guy of selling knock off shit. They even cheapened the name ."koyorad". tf?

Your kidding right?

Koyo Rad I'm sure they meant Koyo Radiator. People market it like that.

Anyways.

Koyo isn't all that great as people make them out to be.

I run Griffin, didn't even want to buy Koyo.

Rnz520
04-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Anyone had any experience with the rb motoring radiators? Everyone seems to be happy with all their other stuff, and I dont want to spend all of 300 bucks on a Koyo, even before this I thought they were overpriced...

kdashy
04-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Your kidding right?

Anyways.

The boxes they come in say KOYORAD on them now, haha.

aNskY
04-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Your kidding right?

Anyways.

im not kidding. new design says "koyorad" in blue with the pedigree logo across the front, i guess the design had just come out. i had never seen it, and the pictures in the auction clearly showed the old style koyo.. so i got the new style one, with its shoddy construction and "made in indonesia" sticker.. thought it was fake or something

might as well buy one of the $100 ebay specials...

devnull
04-20-2008, 05:46 PM
so after reading this i found the problem with it....

ford... sorrynot much help , but its the truth. unless its a powerstroke.

I know...but it's still a pretty good truck. Aside from the cooling problem that led to this episode, the air conditioning, and a transmission solenoid, it's been great.

I fixed the air conditioning myself. That was an incredible PITA.

So yes, I'm familiar with Ford quality.

articdragon192
04-20-2008, 11:14 PM
Your kidding right?

Anyways.

Yeah, a good friend of mine prefers Griffins over Koyos because they have proven to perform better on his customers cars.